Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I just saw on facebook where Forbes will be fluting the bolts. Lame idea.....it does nothing but provide a path for crap to get into the magazine. I let them know smile

100% agreed.

More gimmicks for bubba...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I told them I wanted faster twists and a 22" barrels last year soon after they were announced.

My opinions didn't carry any weight with them! They probably knew I'd still buy one anyway...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
They probably knew I'd still buy one a dozen anyway...

Fixed it for you. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
They probably knew I'd still buy one a dozen anyway...

Fixed it for you. smile

grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
They also posted on Facebook that they are raising prices in 2014. Their price point is already 1700-1800 in Canada before the stainless guns. That will probably keep me out of their market.

And call me Bubba. I like that fluting.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Check out this question and reply from the Forbes facebook page...

Me - Can I order one without the bolt fluting? My experience with bolt fluting is that it is nothing but a path for debris to get into the magazine.

Forbes Rifle LLC - Unfortunately we are only making them fluted now. I can tell you Billy, the flutes on this rifle are very slight. So slight in fact that they didn't even change the weight of the rifle. We decided to flute it from customers requests. For example our AK and Canadian customers needed it so they could clear debris like ice in the winter, and that fine power sand found in TX. for our southern hunters. Also, the fluting on this rifle has the phosphate so it won't wear off and gives you about half of the raw steel exposure than with the old jeweled bolt. I hope this helps your decision to go with Forbes Rifle.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Slight? Hmm. Look fairly un-slight to me but I don't have any experience with fluted bolts.

http://store.prophetriver.com/forbes-m24b-270-win-fluted-bolt-kevlar-stock-talley-rings-ss/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Check out this question and reply from the Forbes facebook page...

Me - Can I order one without the bolt fluting? My experience with bolt fluting is that it is nothing but a path for debris to get into the magazine.

Forbes Rifle LLC - Unfortunately we are only making them fluted now. I can tell you Billy, the flutes on this rifle are very slight. So slight in fact that they didn't even change the weight of the rifle. We decided to flute it from customers requests. For example our AK and Canadian customers needed it so they could clear debris like ice in the winter, and that fine power sand found in TX. for our southern hunters. Also, the fluting on this rifle has the phosphate so it won't wear off and gives you about half of the raw steel exposure than with the old jeweled bolt. I hope this helps your decision to go with Forbes Rifle.

Wow, it just gets worse.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Mass production is a relative term I guess. One could consider it "mass produced" relative to the NULA's I guess which was the likely goal anyway.

Prairie Goat, the 6.5x55 with the long action, 24" 1:8 twist barrel was the one that caught my eye as well in the current offerings.

I could really care less about the fluted bolt thing, kind of like adding fancy rims to a "work truck". I do care if it drives the price up however. Just makes the CLR with upgrades more appealing for me. Raise the price and the mass production becomes even less likely!

Todd

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They're still a good value when one considers you'd most likely spend more money turning a basic production rifle into a semi-custom that will weigh significantly more as well.

Price out a Remington, Winchester or similar and figure out what you'd stick into it with a McMillan, better trigger, glass or pillar bed, action truing, new barrel, cerakote or similar and it becomes obvious.

I realize not everyone gets that done, but even just putting one in a Mickey will cost you close to the same.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The primary difference being you can get a Mcmillan in the style and LOP you like. With the Forbes, you're stuck with what they give you. I'd like one, but they are way too short for me.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Yea, but the more they raise the price, the better the Montana looks, not even to mention, fluting, shorter barrels, and no stainless.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
i bet all manufacturers raise their price in 2014 not just forbes

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gene270
i bet all manufacturers raise their price in 2014 not just forbes
You can count on it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The primary difference being you can get a Mcmillan in the style and LOP you like. With the Forbes, you're stuck with what they give you. I'd like one, but they are way too short for me.
That is true, and I'm not knockin' the Mickeys as I have a few myself, if you're not of average height/arm length they're probably not the best choice.

I'm 5' 10 1/2" w/unusually short arms, so they feel quite good to me.

I noticed this year that my trusty M7 mag w/the MCM Mountain Rifle stock w/ the standard LOP is a bit long in the butt section with my hunting clothes on, luckily an easy fix though.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Yea, but the more they raise the price, the better the Montana looks, not even to mention, fluting, shorter barrels, and no stainless.
I'm not huge on fluting either, but I bet Kimber raises their prices this year also, and it's still a lot of desireable features for the money if it fits your stature as prairie goat pointed out.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
To me they are worth a try, sent an email to the company today to reserve a 7mm-08 with stainless barrel. Awaiting a response from Rick.

We will see

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Maybe a guy could buy a Forbes, sell off the factory stock and send the barreled action to Melvin for a custom-fit stock without spending a ton of extra coin?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I called Melvin sometime back and asked. It's a no-go. He doesn't work on them. frown

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't think you'd want to sell the stock...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (1234, 06hunter59, 160user, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 270cowboy, 51 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,135
Posts18,523,205
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.