Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You're thinking of Ruger's. Many cast parts. [/quote]
....No I'm thinking of Springfield. Rugers are from Pine Tree Castings and almost entirely cast parts. Springfields are from IMBEL in Brazil, however I thought that they were also cast. Of course, I could be wrong. Are you sure they're forged? [/quote]
Springfield's 1911 receivers are from IMBEL; who buys their forging from Taurus. [/quote]

Are you saying that Taurus is making the springfield slides and frames?????? If so that is the first time I've heard of that.

Last edited by gunchamp; 12/10/13.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Ante up for a Colt.

And you'll be sorry.

Get a Sig.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
S
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by Secondranch

When Colt left the Philippines they left all there machinery there and is now called Rock Island Armory.

Hard to beat Rock Island Armory for cost and being deadly accurate. Triggers are darn good and when you consider your buying a Colt with a different name ups the anti for cost and quality.

BS

From Rock Island's own website.

"HISTORY

Humble Beginnings

Armscor can trace its beginnings all the way back to 1905, when the first Squires, Bingham & Co. headquarters was established in the Philippines. After years of trading clothing, firearms, ammunition, and other items; the company was eventually bought and renamed �Sportsmen�s Headquarters� in 1930.

After a decade of business, visionary entrepreneur Don Celso Tuason bought the company at the start of WWII. In 1952 his company was renamed �Squires Bingham Manufacturing Inc.� and helped rebuild the post-war Philippines by obtaining the first firearms manufacturing license from the government and opening plants across the country.

In the 1960�s he saw his eldest son, Demetrio �Bolo� Tuason, had a strong interest in the business and started grooming him to take the reigns of the company. Not much later, his two younger sons, Carlos �Butch� Tuason and Severo �Conkoy� Tuason joined the business as well.

The Armscor brand that the world knows and loves didn�t come into existence until 1980 after Squires Bingham Manufacturing was reorganized and renamed �Arms Corporation of the Philippines.�

North American Expansion

In 1985, Armscor Precision International opened its first United States office in Pahrump, Nevada. A short while later, Armscor acquired the Rock Island Armory brand, a leading M1911 manufacturer and developer.

The future looks very bright as Martin Tuason, the third generation of the family, prepares to lead the company forward.

With an unprecedented focus on customer service and satisfaction, Armscor is rapidly becoming a driving force in the American and worldwide firearms industry. Today, the company exports to over 50 countries on 6 continents.

Building the Brand

In 2011, the big news was Armscor�s opening of brand new production facilities in Stevensville, Montana. But a more noticeable change is the updated brand look and simplified structure of the company.

The restructuring of the business resulted in Armscor becoming the official ammunition producer of the family owned company that�s �Right on target. Right on the Price.�

As a result, Rock Island Armory is now the sole producer of firearms in the Armscor family under the tagline of �Solid as a rock.�"

Did some digging around and my APOLOGIES it seems that Colt did leave some machinery there but it was to build the M16`s by a company called Elisco they were contracted by Colt to build the M16 and when Colt left they left the manufacturing equipment there.

The RIA 1911 are all Mil Spec built so all parts from Colt will fit.

The light at the end of the tunnel is temporarily turned off.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Ante up for a Colt.

And you'll be sorry.

Get a Sig.
P220 "Carry" model (SAO) is my favorite .45 ACP, and I have quite a few 1911s.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hound_va
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

Springfield's 1911 receivers are from IMBEL; who buys their forging from Taurus.

I would LOVE to see some proof of that as SAI/IMBEL has been producing and marketing 1911's a LOT longer that Taurus has.
I don't have any links or anything in writing I can point you to. I have a friend who has been importing parts and receivers from IMBEL for about 20 years and has been to in IMBEL more times than I can count. He has taken armorers classes at IMBEL on both the FAL the FAL 22 and the 1911. And he has toured Taurus on more than one occasion. Taurus had a forging facility for decades, more than 40 years. Just like Ruger has been making 1911 frames for a good 20 years before they started making 1911 with their name, the same thing goes with Taurus. I'm told that most of the CNC equipment at IMBEL also is Taurus branded...in case you don't know, Taurus actually manufacture CNC machines. A lot of people have zero respect for Taurus but regardless of that they are a major manufacturing facility with a great deal of capacity and capabilities beyond what most firearms manufacturers in the world has. They are probably the only firearms manufacturer who actually does MIM in house.

Anyhow about 15 years ago when my friend Ravender was at Taurus he said he saw a huge bin with 1911 forgings. He thought Taurus was making 1911's, but the production manager said that they were for IMBEL.

Both Tauris and IMBEL manufacture a great deal of equipment, parts, and firearms for various military organizations around the world. Taurus is MUCH bigger than what you see in the US market.

Forum member JamesDunn has also been to Taurus and can verify the same thing. But just like you never see who actually makes the parts for Ed Brown, Wilson, etc. you're not going to find anything in writing on the web that talks about who makes parts for IMBEL/Springfield.

Please excuse the typos, I'm riding shotgun in a car and doing a couple other things and using voice recognition on my iPhone

Last edited by KevinGibson; 12/11/13.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by Secondranch

When Colt left the Philippines they left all there machinery there and is now called Rock Island Armory.

Hard to beat Rock Island Armory for cost and being deadly accurate. Triggers are darn good and when you consider your buying a Colt with a different name ups the anti for cost and quality.

BS

From Rock Island's own website.

"HISTORY

Humble Beginnings

Armscor can trace its beginnings all the way back to 1905, when the first Squires, Bingham & Co. headquarters was established in the Philippines. After years of trading clothing, firearms, ammunition, and other items; the company was eventually bought and renamed �Sportsmen�s Headquarters� in 1930.

After a decade of business, visionary entrepreneur Don Celso Tuason bought the company at the start of WWII. In 1952 his company was renamed �Squires Bingham Manufacturing Inc.� and helped rebuild the post-war Philippines by obtaining the first firearms manufacturing license from the government and opening plants across the country.

In the 1960�s he saw his eldest son, Demetrio �Bolo� Tuason, had a strong interest in the business and started grooming him to take the reigns of the company. Not much later, his two younger sons, Carlos �Butch� Tuason and Severo �Conkoy� Tuason joined the business as well.

The Armscor brand that the world knows and loves didn�t come into existence until 1980 after Squires Bingham Manufacturing was reorganized and renamed �Arms Corporation of the Philippines.�

North American Expansion

In 1985, Armscor Precision International opened its first United States office in Pahrump, Nevada. A short while later, Armscor acquired the Rock Island Armory brand, a leading M1911 manufacturer and developer.

The future looks very bright as Martin Tuason, the third generation of the family, prepares to lead the company forward.

With an unprecedented focus on customer service and satisfaction, Armscor is rapidly becoming a driving force in the American and worldwide firearms industry. Today, the company exports to over 50 countries on 6 continents.

Building the Brand

In 2011, the big news was Armscor�s opening of brand new production facilities in Stevensville, Montana. But a more noticeable change is the updated brand look and simplified structure of the company.

The restructuring of the business resulted in Armscor becoming the official ammunition producer of the family owned company that�s �Right on target. Right on the Price.�

As a result, Rock Island Armory is now the sole producer of firearms in the Armscor family under the tagline of �Solid as a rock.�"

So the location in Nevada that is mention was just a small office and a little bit of storage space where they sold their 22 rifles from. 22 rifles and ammunition came into the country via Oakland at a bonded warehouse and we would then transfer them to Sacramento California to a semi clandestine warehouse with a sign above it that said all temp insulation on North B street. I worked at that warehouse where the ammunition was shipped from to all the dealers and I did warranty repair on all the 22 rifles that Armscor. In March 1986 I took a trip to the Philippines to work on a project that I had created in Sacramento and they wanted to re-create there. There was a regime change from Marcos to Aquino couple of weeks before I got there and there was a lot of unrest and even fighting in the streets. Within an hour of me arriving at the warehouse we were attacked by mortar fire and rifle fire, employees had to pick up arms and defend the warehouse. After a couple more hours of sporadic rifle fire zinging through the warehouse the lawyers from corporate called and said I had to get out of the country because they couldn't risk having an American killed. So while I did view the production facilities, the ammunition part was very impressive, the rest was very disappointing from the lack of equipment and facilities that they had ; all told I wasn't in the Philippines for even a full 24 hours. Beside the commercial products that they offered they did a lot of work for the government on military arms most of which were surplus World War II vintage US. Every last person that I met there had a real love affair for the M1 carbine and the colt 1911 "Porty-Pibe ( how they pronounced .45).

As for their "acquiring the brand of RIA, they pretty much stole it. Rock island was created by a gentleman who owns and operates a small importing firm called the dealer warehouse. He was responsible for getting the Argentine firm to retool up to build the Argentine high powers, so we had a good deal of experience in getting manufacturing facilities set up to build handguns. He knew that Armscor had always wanted to build a 1911 so he helped them do that and then he imported them under the name of rock island armory. After everything was up and running and well-established, they just cut him out of the picture. Unfortunately he did not copyright the name rock island armory,, so it was real easy for them.

Please excuse the typos, I'm using voice recognition on my iPhone

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goodshot
Got in my head that i want a comander size 1911. looking at the Magnum Research 1911 and the Ruger 1911 comander size. i know a bunch about rifles....not much about 1911 . looking for some help. Seems like everyone needs at least one 1911 in the arsenal so to speak. Looking to spend $500.00-800.00 if possible. Any suggestions?

I don't think this has been addressed in this thread yet...

Why do you want a Commander size? If you have a specific reason - good. But if not, why not the full-size (Government)?

Anyway - my experience mirrors others mentioned here with both the RIA and the Ruger (both 5"). The Ruger's only fault being the so-so trigger (easily fixed). I would skip anything with GI sights, unless you know your eyes are going to work like a 20-something for the foreseeable future.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And what's wrong with the Commander??? I LOVE the Commander...in LW form it's what I carry.

But I love the full size Govt also. But in all seriousness, you raise a good point. If you plan on customizing, the Govt is the way to go. More parts, a little cheaper, and more available.

Aesthetically though, the Commander is a nice looking pistol.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just got a copy of the February issue of Shooting Times, and it features an article titled "1911 Shootout" which evaluates 7 "affordable" 1911's - MRI Desert Eagle, Ruger SR1911, Taurus PT-1911, Auto-Ordinance Thompson Custom 1911, ATI FX45 1911 Military, Para 1911 Expert Stainless, and Springfield 1911-AI Mil Spec.

In my humble and less than expert opinion, a good and fair article, worth reading for someone looking to buy a first 1911.

Kevin, thanks for the background info on Taurus and RIA. Interesting.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought a Para 1911 Expert Stainless earlier this year. It's USA made, has a forged frame and slide, and some nice extra features such as beavertail safety and fiber optic front sight. So far, it's been trouble free and accurate. While it's not as nice as my Colt 1911, it's pretty darn good for the price and will serve my needs quite nicely.

Clark Custom also says it's fine for their 460 Rowland conversion. I also took this into account before I purchased another 1911.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I have a Springfield 1911 A-1 G.I. - Basic and Perfect.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There's a custom Caspian in the classifieds. Started at $1400 reduced to $1100. Caspian is very high quality.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by P_Weed

Those are cool. I agree on the basic design being best. When I carry a 1911, it's always an old early 1960s Government Model that's never been messed with.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Simple and basic is good. Colt combat commander. The OP said he would like a commander size.

Or just get a Wilson and "forget about it".

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
[quote=DMc]There's a custom Caspian in the classifieds. Started at $1400 reduced to $1100. Caspian is very high quality.

DMc [/quote

This!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ruger, Ria, Colt, Para, Smith, Springfield all are good. Pick your price and go shoot.

Side note, in '98 and '99 I was invited to IMBEL. I was consulting with PETROBRAS and got to know a lot of engineers.

They were researching UHP(ultra high pressure) systems. UHP is frequently used to cut steel in mills, cut the sprue from castings etc.

While there on one visit I saw crates being shipped to Springfield, Taurus and Rossi. I also saw a lot of Taurus equipment in their shops.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Originally Posted by johnw
And for the OP,

I'd recommend checking out the RIA 1911s. While not US made, they are worthy guns, and more so at the price that they sell for.

The non-rail RIAs are darned good guns for the money and you can get in the game for a very reasonable amount of money. Their customer service is great. The out of the box triggers are excellent on both of mine. One required a little tuning, which they did at no cost to me, the other has run like a Rolex from day one. And they're accurate. They are solid, well built pistols.

That said, buy a Colt O2991 38 Super and you'll never go back to the dark side with all the 45acp wonks.

Dave

aah. The influence of RJM. He got to you didn't he?

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by K1500
I think he is thinking if the Ballister Molina (sp?) of years gone by.

try argentina, not the phillipines.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by P_Weed

I for one really like the basic 1911. Now for a carry gun, I like sights I can see a little better, but the basic 1911 is still a very capable pistol. The Springfield GI is a very good quality pistol and they shoot very well.

When I'm not carrying my LW Commander, I carry a Colt's Government Model .38 Super. It's a 1991 series, so it has the taller sights, but for the most part, it's like the old school Colt's and I never feel under-armed in any way. If it was a more regular daily carry gun, I would add night sights, or replace the elephant ivory with a set of CTC. But mostly it's my BBQ gun that gets carried just 'cause I want to carry it from time to time.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bought my first 1911 45 ACP pistol some years ago not knowing anything about it ... The salesman also didn't know anything about it except it was a 'Colt' and how much to charge for it. I liked it, so I put it on lay-by and took it home a few months later.

Only then I found out I had purchased a ~ 'COLT MODEL of 1911' ~ WWI Replica.
One of about 4000 Manufactured from the original Colt blueprints and specs.
With a beautiful Carbonia Blued Finish.

This is probably my most prized firearm and I just stumbled across it -
Without any research, advice, or recommendations.

My best advice to the O.P. is:

"If You like it - Buy it!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (22kHornet, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,256
Posts18,504,765
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.