-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 52 of 67 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 66 67
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I joined Boy Scouts when I was young to learn about citizenship & some basic survival skills. I joined a school for an education. I joined a health club to be the strongest & healthiest I could be. I joined a youth organization to charitably give back to the community. I joined a church to improve my soul. All these organizations have something to offer.

What does Freemasonry offer you to be the best you can be?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A network of businessmen that can do each other favours.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Thanks for the list, some on there I've never heard of so will have to see if the local video store has them.

Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland are both great comedies, you should enjoy them.

World War Z is nothing like the book but you might already know that.

Meaning to rent this one: Ridge War Z. "The last surviving veterans of the worst battle of a zombie war recount their horrific memories to an author who is writing a book about their experiences." Sounds like a close ripoff of the World War Z book.

[Linked Image]

Masons control zombies, btw. I had to add that to stay in context.

Am downloading Ridge War Z as we speak.

Torrentz

And if they did hawk wouldn't be so annoying.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then it's like Rotary.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Hard to believe nobodies Google-fu has turned up a picture of the title.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BarryC
Then it's like Rotary.

Consider that I know less than Zilch about the Masons, but I think Rotary has all the crooked membership tied up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, think I get it.

Rank-and-file Masons, for the most part, believe that Freemasonry is just like a cross between Rotary and Christmas. Some charity, some (possibly repurposed)use of pagan symbolism, some secrecy & oaths added just for fun. Throw in some religious terminology like "temple" for "club house" too, also for heightened fun.

Just whatever because Boyscouts, Rotary, etc, and churches are so mundane.

Wow.

I guess my father liked the mundane too. He was also a Cubmaster.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Still waiting to read what you get out of Freemasonry that you can't/don't get out of Rotary Club, Elks, VFW or chambers of commerce or whatever.

Am I wrong in thinking that it is just like a lot of other orgs only with a layer of pomp & secrecy?

I'm asking you here, I'm not making accusations.

ETA: They include secrecy and then wonder why everyone assumes the worst. crazy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I joined Boy Scouts when I was young to learn about citizenship & some basic survival skills. I joined a school for an education. I joined a health club to be the strongest & healthiest I could be. I joined a youth organization to charitably give back to the community. I joined a church to improve my soul. All these organizations have something to offer.

What does Freemasonry offer you to be the best you can be?

And all very good organizations that have helped men along their paths for a long, long time. They are time tested and approved. For me personally it offered a couple things that I just didn't get from any other source.

One, it offered me a chance to interact with and learn from men who grew up in a much different environment from me. My boyhood was a very rural, very white, very mountain culture. Protestant to the core or just plain not religious at all depending on the person in question.

Being masonic brothers with big city catholics, mormons, Jewish folk, even a Hindu, gave me a chance to interact on a social basis with folks very different than me. Further this was all done in a way that was in no way normal in the other ways it may have happened. We all went into lodge and enjoyed the fellowship afterward with a firm belief that it was pleasing to God (regardless of our respective religions) that men of such different beliefs and backgrounds meet in friendship and invoke his blessing.

Second there is also the mindset. It says that praying for improvement and forgiveness etc may all be well and good but that what a man becomes is, for the most part, up to him. Here is a set of tools and a philosophy on how to become a better man. It wasn't just about sin and forgiveness. It was about that sure, but even moreso it was about an obligation to improve yourself. To get your hands dirty in that work. A way you are expected to approach your work, your dealings in business, your role as a father and a husband and a citizen. This emphasis on reaching your potential as opposed to just trying not to sin appealed to me and was a big change from the religious environment I grew up in.

But there was also 9/11. If I had to pick a reason that I joined the Masons it would be this day and the carnage that it entailed. When this happened one of the first things I did was to actually read the Qu'ran. I was dumbfounded that men would sacrifice themselves and murder others in a religious undertaking in this day and age. I had to know what drove them.

After reading the book I figured I must have missed something. I read it two more times. At the end of it I remember thinking that this book was half gibberish. I also thought that it seemed impossible for anyone rational to take this book at face value, which millions upon millions of Moslems do. Then I decided to go back and read the bible. I wanted to know what I thought about the religion of my youth. Well that wasn't comfortable either.

Anyway, at the end of this I wanted to take a personal stand on what I believed. On which direction I personally believed that faith should guide a man. Masonry fit the bill for me. I looked at masonic philosophy and agreed with it moreso than any other I had found.

So I petitioned and joined up.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There we go! Thanks!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're quite welcome. I just hope it wasn't too long winded... the post kind of got away from me. smile

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Penguin
Oh, think I get it.

Rank-and-file Masons, for the most part, believe that Freemasonry is just like a cross between Rotary and Christmas. Some charity, some (possibly repurposed)use of pagan symbolism, some secrecy & oaths added just for fun. Throw in some religious terminology like "temple" for "club house" too, also for heightened fun.

Just whatever because Boyscouts, Rotary, etc, and churches are so mundane.

No you don't get it. And TBH you will never get it. It isn't a knock on you personally it is just that with this kind of mindset Masonry would be a total waste of time for you.

This discussion started as one where the question was posed "Is masonry and Christianity compatible?" but probably a more appropriate question for most people would be "Is masonry something that would add something to my life?"

In some cases an even better one would be for Masonry to ask whether you would be compatible with the lodge. Would you add something positive? For many the answer is no. And it is not a knock on you personally if that is the case. It isn't for everyone.

To paraphrase the Chinese, it is difficult to fill an already overflowing cup. If you know all the answers and have an ironclad path that you feel confident will lead you to become the best man you can be? You don't need masonry, keep doing whatever it is you are doing.

Will

That's the crux of the question, am I good for the Masons and in my case no.

I had a chance to join the Elk's Lodge too but I wasn't good for them either.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Do Masons serve strong drinks for cheap like the Eagles do?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Your close. But

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Your close. But

But we don't put a "U" in favors.

Double entendre interpretation is OK.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Do Masons serve strong drinks for cheap like the Eagles do?

Not all but most Masons keep the lodge dry

If you want to drink there are other avenues you can travel

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Penguin
You're quite welcome. I just hope it wasn't too long winded... the post kind of got away from me. smile

Will

Not at all. Good post.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
TASTE GREAT!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
LESS FILLING!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
BARNES X!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 52 of 67 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 66 67

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,889
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.