Originally Posted by Penguin
Originally Posted by BarryC
Oh, think I get it.

Rank-and-file Masons, for the most part, believe that Freemasonry is just like a cross between Rotary and Christmas. Some charity, some (possibly repurposed)use of pagan symbolism, some secrecy & oaths added just for fun. Throw in some religious terminology like "temple" for "club house" too, also for heightened fun.

Just whatever because Boyscouts, Rotary, etc, and churches are so mundane.

No you don't get it. And TBH you will never get it. It isn't a knock on you personally it is just that with this kind of mindset Masonry would be a total waste of time for you.

This discussion started as one where the question was posed "Is masonry and Christianity compatible?" but probably a more appropriate question for most people would be "Is masonry something that would add something to my life?"

In some cases an even better one would be for Masonry to ask whether you would be compatible with the lodge. Would you add something positive? For many the answer is no. And it is not a knock on you personally if that is the case. It isn't for everyone.

To paraphrase the Chinese, it is difficult to fill an already overflowing cup. If you know all the answers and have an ironclad path that you feel confident will lead you to become the best man you can be? You don't need masonry, keep doing whatever it is you are doing.

Will

That's the crux of the question, am I good for the Masons and in my case no.

I had a chance to join the Elk's Lodge too but I wasn't good for them either.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude