Originally Posted by BLRNut
Well I had to chime in. This might be longer than most want to read , but please try to understand, this hit home hard and deep.

First off let me say I am not a Mason or a Shriner, I have hinted, but never been invited. I was one of those 9 month old babies who contracted that dreaded disease polio, long ago in 1942. I was one of the Lucky ones. After the next four years of the Sister Kenny treatment - wrapped in steaming hot packs, massage, and exercise - the only residual paralysis was a right arm that I was unable to use.
I attended a Shriner's clinic yearly from age 8. We drove 40 miles over twisting West Virginia roads, waited in the church where the clinic was held and my mother prayed every year that this would be the year the doctors would say, "We will take him, get him to Philadelphia." Then when I was 12 her prayers were answered.
My parents and I rode the train to Philadelphia. After a long examination the nurse said "Just leave his shoes and we will take care of EVERYTHING." AND THEY DID. For one entire year they did take care of everything. They feed, clothed, haircuted, exercised, Santa Claused, Easter Bunnied, and did their MAGIC. I went in unable to move my right arm, after 3 orthopedic surgeries, I was not only able to raise my right arm, I was able to bend my elbow. I went in the hospital making B's and C's in the 8th grade and came out to make all A's in high school.
The education Shriners gave far exceeded academics, they gave me the will and drive to succeed. I obtained a Ph.D. from Purdue University, taught college till I retired 5 years ago.

Masons, Shriners, their Hospital, the physicians, nurses, teachers gave me the opportunity to live the great life I have.

Even today sixty years later I still thank every Mason and Shriner I see, where ever I see them, I have thanked them at a rest stop in Alabama, to the Dallas airport. To me My angels wear Red Hats.

This holds more weight than every other post.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.