Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
My parents gave me their old Honda FR500 tiller. It has been sitting idle for a few years and was seized up. After over a month soaking in kerosene, I gave it a try last night and got it loose. Am I correct in thinking that the rings are probably still stuck, and will soaking longer before starting it and burning off the kerosene help, or should I just try to get it started.

The engine is pretty worn out, but my garden is only about 6X16, so as long as I can get it started and get enough power to run it, I'll leave it alone. I bought a chinese 6.75 torque engine NIB at a garage sale last summer for $35 that I could put on it, but I'd like to keep it Honda if I can.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
fabricate.... kroil oil for sure. And then weld up a spark plug base thread to an air hose chuck, that way you fill cylinder(s) with a good amount of kroil and then put maybe 30-40 psi on the cylinder for a time period. I forget how long we used to do it, maybe an hour give or take, and then try to turn it. Very many times the kroil being forced into places, will free it all up and it'll run just fine with no other work.

Have freed more than a few tractor engines like this over the yeras.

I see you are already freed though... but kroil in the ring grooves would be a really helpful thing in totally freeing them. IMHO

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get rid of the kerosene and throw some Seafoam in the cylinder and let it soak for a day or more. It will help dissolve any carbon in the rings. Once you get it running add Seafoam to the fuel and oil to attack carbon in the rings from all sides.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WD-40 works well too...

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
transmission fluid

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
WD40..............Nooo

seaform or Koil "might" work but your best bet is to take it apart and pull the piston...bet the rings are frozen to the piston..you'll never get enough compression to start it..

rusted cylinder too is it's a steel bore

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Transmission fluid

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
The last one I did was with WD40. I couldn't find a funnel to put kerosene into it. (kerosene soak is the old family recipe). It started, but didn't have much power. If I have to pull it apart, I'll probably just swap in the Chinese knock off.

Set them free again
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To do it "right" I'd be inclined to go with Jglenn & pull it down. A new set of rings won't set you back much & running a cylinder hone brush up & down a bit will smooth out the walls & get you a good (better anyways) seal. I did a locked up Briggs this way a few years back & put it on a go-kart that's still ruining my yard on a regular basis. Think the ring set cost me about $10 on ebay.

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
You're probably right, but I'm not too sure of the availability of parts. Dad said that he couldn't get points and condenser for it anymore. He had been starting it with an electric drill.

Set them free again
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a 1970ish Johnson boat motor that seized up from sitting. It was sooo bad that I had pound the pistons out the cylinders (with authoritay) and break the rings out in chunks.

A friend acquired it years ago and it's still running after my "rebuild" back in the 80s.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Swampman700
WD-40 works well too...

....idiot

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not too sure of the availability of parts.

PM me the pertinent #'s

if it's a Honda, the parts ARE available, and I'll help you chase down a Gasket set and a Piston kit.

Sea-Foam Dittos, that or #2 Diesel.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Odds are the rings are glued to the pistons but ...

After soaking with Seafoam I'd give it a compression test just to check. If it was near normal then I might think about running it as is.

Last edited by fish head; 12/18/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by Swampman700
WD-40 works well too...

....idiot

True, but it does work (though there are other solvents I'd prefer to use) and you can run the engine for a short while using only WD-40 if you don't have the fuel lines hooked up.

The danger in running the engine if the rings are stuck is that the rings need to float in order to prevent hot spots and scraping/scoring. Stuck or sticky rings can be bad news for the cylinder.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some folks get in too much of a hurry, "Waking Up" old or siezed small engines.

I'm of the opinion that,once freed up, you literally CAN'T spin em' up "Cold" long enough to do ought but good,...e.g. plug(s) out and cylinder(s) WET with the skunk pizz of choice,......I'm not saying one should burn up a starter, either.

Just "woke up" a nice old Kohler that's sat forever,.....been running it in GENTLY, at low RPMs for days now,.......between Sea Foam and diesel poured into it and some obvious wear, it was smoking at first,......not much smoke at all, this evening,.....

Not saying that'll always work, either. Coastal salt rust is pretty onerous, and final.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 12/18/13.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, long as there wasn't heroic effort involved in making the piston move, soaking and getting things moving slowly probably won't be a problem. (I guess I mixed in fishhead's comment about beating the shizzle loose in a different motor. crazy ) Loosening and 'washing' seems to work on a lot of these small motors, since much of the stuff that needs rinsing is corrosion effects rather than carbon, the usual cause of sticking rings.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take Fish, Cross, and Klik's words. Seafoam or diesel, soak. Kroil is too expensive, and it won't make much difference what skunk piss you use anyway. You could even run diesel at about 25% or so in the oil too, just don't rev or put a load on it, then drain and fill with your prefered flavor. If it runs good enough to till up a small garden once or twice a year, that's good enough.

Sean
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I started a seized Allis Chalmers engine by pulling the injectors, filling the cylinders with a 50/50 mix of diesel and ATF,and giving the concoction TIME to work ( a week or more IIRC )
After breaking the engine loose with a long, homemade wrench, and some help (240# baby brother), it started. We ran it for about a day at a fast idle.
Said motor is still running an irrigation pump, after around 20 years - with no excessive oil consumption.

Mark

Thinking back - the mix of diesel and ATF smelled much like Kroil.

M

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree, if the engine was seized its time for a rebuild. If you want a quick fix, I am a believer in Kroil. The stuff works, ive used it extensively for a long time. Another good rust breaker is mouse milk. can be spendy also but it works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 13 invisible), 1,208 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,684
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.