Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Great score, Leighton!

Now I can quit worrying about planning a road trip. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Too good to be true? I saw this just now; ad was put up 5 minutes before I called.

What is this truck's value? I checked KBB but want a fire eval please. Time is of the essence!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1996 Toyota Tacoma extra cab pickup. V6, 5spd, 65,000 original miles, second owner. California truck - completely clean, no rust, looks almost like new inside and out. Clean Carfax, always dealer serviced. Newer Michelin tires with 90%, alloy wheels. Only selling to pay off legal fees for my divorce.

I would think between $8k and $10k for that vehicle, depending on what his definition of "like new" is. At $7.5k, sounds like a good deal. And with 65k on the odometer, that truck has MANY good miles left to give.

Double check the wear on the interior, gas and brake pedals to see if they look consistent with a 65k mile vehicle.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good score��..I'd replace the water pump and timing belt if it hasn't already been done��.just had to replace the water pump in my 2004 with 60k when it started leaking a bit��only made sense to do the timing belt at the same time��I only drive the truck about 3k/year and sitting is hard on seals.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DaveR
Too good to be true? I saw this just now; ad was put up 5 minutes before I called.

What is this truck's value? I checked KBB but want a fire eval please. Time is of the essence!

1996 Toyota Tacoma extra cab pickup. V6, 5spd, 65,000 original miles, second owner. California truck - completely clean, no rust, looks almost like new inside and out. Clean Carfax, always dealer serviced. Newer Michelin tires with 90%, alloy wheels. Only selling to pay off legal fees for my divorce.

I would think between $8k and $10k for that vehicle, depending on what his definition of "like new" is. At $7.5k, sounds like a good deal. And with 65k on the odometer, that truck has MANY good miles left to give.

Bullschit. I've seen similar clean, low mileage tacos sell for 14-15 on Auto Trader. Sometimes they sat there for a while but they all sold. 12K would not be a bad deal if the truck is really clean.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by DaveR

Bullschit. I've seen similar clean, low mileage tacos sell for 14-15 on Auto Trader. Sometimes they sat there for a while but they all sold. 12K would not be a bad deal if the truck is really clean.

For a 96? Low miles do bring a big premium, but anybody paying $14k or $15k for a 96 tacoma, even with low miles, needs their head examined. It's a Tacoma for christ sake, not an FJ40 landcruiser. TOP Dollar would be about $12k asking. And "asking price" is NOT selling price.

I love the trucks, but I'm not paying that kind of dough for a 17 or 18 year old freakin' Tacoma, I don't care what kind of shape it's in. They can ASK for whatever they want...what they ultimately TAKE for it (what you don't see in truck trader) after it sits for a month or two is a different story.

For $15k in my area I could fairly easily get into a 2000-2002 Xtra Cab or Double Cab 4x4 with under 100k miles.

If the truck is in good shape and the miles are right, he's getting a pretty damned good deal. But he's not getting it at HALF PRICE, or even close.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
The man was good to his word. Clean title, clean carfax report, not a speck of rust, service records perfect. Absolutely minty condition. Brand new Michelin rubber all around. Guy is second owner and bought it 90 days ago, then got hit with divorce papers. His plan is to liquidate all his local assets and head for Costa Rica to start a self-sustainable organic farm, continue with his code writing and, of course, jam out on his guitars. Total fruitcake, but I'm OK with that. He kept his word.

Thanks again for the input, folks.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't know which I like more, the deal or the story behind the deal! laugh Good stuff.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think you got a fair deal considering the quality of the vehicle involved.

My personal history: 5 new Toyotas bought in my lifetime. Absolutely no warranty returns/issues EXCEPT a loose wire on the cig lighter of my 1982 diesel (yes, that was the only year they imported them).
My 1990 4Runner had a recall for air conditioner seals.
My 1996 T100 had a recall for head gaskets.
My 1987 4wd went 286k miles before my brother rolled it on an icy road. I had to put a fuel pump ($19 mechanical), timing chain, and a hydraulic clutch cylinder.

Unfortunately, I let a foolish attraction break my Toyota ownership spree, and like you, I will not borrow to buy.
Used Toyotas are gold here in the midwest, I may have to bite the bullet and finance to get back in to a Toyota. Back where I belong.

Mom and Dad heated with nothing but wood - every stick that they burned from 1982 to about 2001 was hauled in a Toyota pickup.

I've drug fishing boats from Canada to almost Alabama for a lot of years with never a problem.

Here's a small pic of a common load that I towed many miles thru Mo. hills. That is a 1996 T100 4WD V6 automatic that had stock 3.90(I think) rear end gears. That is a 2 ton (+) load, not counting trailer. For light to medium duty towing they are very capable.

[Linked Image]

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I was just asked where "Almost", Alabama is located. Simple, its just slightly north of DamnedNear, Tennessee.
Silly girls don't know nuthin......

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The man was good to his word. Clean title, clean carfax report, not a speck of rust, service records perfect. Absolutely minty condition. Brand new Michelin rubber all around. Guy is second owner and bought it 90 days ago, then got hit with divorce papers. His plan is to liquidate all his local assets and head for Costa Rica to start a self-sustainable organic farm, continue with his code writing and, of course, jam out on his guitars. Total fruitcake, but I'm OK with that. He kept his word.

Thanks again for the input, folks.

Score! Post pics buddy!

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a 92, before the Tacoma was a Tacoma, put 380,000 KM on it. Drove it like I stole it, never let me down. Averaged 19-20mpg with the V6, which has about 50hp less than the newer one.All it ever had was the regular maintenance items done.
The new one is an '09, 6spd, up to 118,000 now, fuel is about 19mpg with the V6. Driveability on the new one is night and day different powerwise. It feels every bit as tough as the old one.
Front suspension handles potholes way better than the old one did. Tows way better also,pulls my 14ft boat no sweat, 5x8 enclosed deke trailer is hardly noticeable.
I looked hard at other vehicles when I bought the 09, couldn't talk myself out of another Yota. The old one went thru some nasty stuff over the years, and is still going on a farm. This one should outlast me.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,513
Posts18,472,386
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.