Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Raeford
A small pat of butter, red eye gravy and covered in pepper!

My favorite way.
I like cheese grits, garlic grits, eggs cut up in them, shrimp and grits, butter and a bit of salt. BTW, I like grits. wink

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sako
Oh man.... Let me count the ways.... with butter, butter and cheese, with 2 over easy eggs mixed in, Cheese and Eggs, then there is bacon, sausage, ham and any combination of all of the above... pretty much anything but nothing sweet in mine.

better yet... how do you cook them. I have found most people that do not like grits have never had them cooked right... I take the quaker quick grits and cook them about 30 minutes on the stove... and I keep adding butter as they cook.... man are they good... (of course it goes with out saying all grits need salt when cooked... smile )

This post pretty much sums it up.

I saw grits on a menu somewhere I didn't think they would know what grits were, so I ordered some with my eggs over easy. Gal brings out my bacon and eggs, and sits a bowl of milky colored water by the side. I pick up the spoon and stirs a bit and see a small white particle or two floating around.

I asks, "What it that"?
She says, "Those are your grits".
I says, "Those aren't my grits, they must belong to someone else".
She, "What's wrong with them".
Me, "They look more like wanton grits. Grits aren't a soup. Have the cook read the directions on the box and cook as instructed".

Second batch came out right.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve
What are grits? wink

Girls Raised In The South!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steve, assuming that is an honest question...grits are ground hominy (corn). Not exactly the same as corn meal, because hominy is corn that's treated with an alkali.

It's normally eaten at breakfast across the South, and can be thought of as a potato substitute. (Looks a bit like coarsely mashed potatoes, in fact.) Some might equate grits with cream of wheat and add sugar or syrup, but that would be like putting honey on mashed potatoes.

In fact, anything you might put on potatoes is good on grits.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Butter & black pepper.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Steve, assuming that is an honest question...grits are ground hominy (corn). Not exactly the same as corn meal, because hominy is corn that's treated with an alkali.

It's normally eaten at breakfast across the South, and can be thought of as a potato substitute. (Looks a bit like coarsely mashed potatoes, in fact.) Some might equate grits with cream of wheat and add sugar or syrup, but that would be like putting honey on mashed potatoes.

In fact, anything you might put on potatoes is good on grits.

It was tongue-in-cheek. Thanks anyway!

Carpe' Scrotum
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear that even today the english treat SPAM as a delicacy as in the post war rationing era that went on forever for them it was a staple for most.

The same process explains the popularity of grits in the south. They never had anything better to eat either.

Grit where I come from was what you ground under your feet or used as an industrial abrasive. I never saw it eaten til Sam's Army and was never hungry enough to develop a taste, or even a distaste, for the bland stuff.

1B

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Butter and black pepper or cheese, garlic and black pepper.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With butter and a little brown sugar for me.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Sitting here this A.M. with my bowl of grits, and got to contemplating the various ways I like them.
This morning it was a half pat of butter, a little brown sugar and some raisins. The other day it was with some crumbled bacon, black pepper, half pat of butter, and some hot sauce.

How do you like yours? Lots of different way to do such a simple breakfast staple.
brown sugar? Raisins? That is some sick scheit. Geez. shocked

Sam......

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Grits are best served on another person's plate.

Jesus H. Christ you guys. Eat like you have some status in life.

Grits? Ya' bunch of redneck Banshees.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I live them with american cheese melted on top with eggs,bacon and a slice of toast.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Stone ground and cooked overnight in a crock pot with lightly salted water.

We used the send the yankee kids who asked where grits came from over the Ag Department and tell them to ask to be shown a Grit's Bush and ask to watch someone picking grits.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
stone ground with:

salt, pepper, butter
cheese
redeye gravy

any leftover - slice a chunk and fry in very little butter or bacon grease. fantastic with venison tenderloin pan fried (saute') in olive oil/butter.

breakfast in a cup is popular when on way to launch boat:
wide mouth styrofoam cup or bowl with grits, eggs and meat of your choice crumbled in. cheese and biscuit can also be added.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This yankee has them when he heads South. I like 'em with just a little bit of maple syrup (of course) and a very small pat of butter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The thought of putting anything sweet on grits is about the same as putting mayonnaise on strawberry short cake. It just isn't done.

I like mine with butter salt and lots of pepper. Mixed with an over easy egg is a good addition. If they are to be eaten for supper, shrimp and cheese will make it a meal you will remember. Cutting the chilled left over grits into cubes and frying is better than any hash brown ever thought about being and makes the addition of ketchup a viable option. But that is the only time something a little sweet should come any where near grits.

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like stone ground grits from the mill. Montreal seasoning on the top, no butter.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Warm, firm and lightly tipsey... oh, sorry, I thought the header said "girls."

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
How do you like yours?

Just fine. grin miles

Manufacturer Gar Wood used to get banner news coverage for his hobby of racing boats in big regattas and for his age. (IIRC, he was still racing his boats in his late eighties or early nineties.)

A big-city editor of that day was in the habit of pestering his reporters with wires to remind them to be sure to cover this point or that point or some other point that they weren't likely to forget or to overlook. Like Gar Wood's age, for example.

Just before one big boat race, the editor sent his on-the-scene reporter one of those pesky wires � of which the reporter had "had it up to here," and answered in like manner �

"HOW OLD GAR WOOD?"

"OLD GAR WOOD FINE. HOW YOU?"

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by Steve
What are grits? wink

Girls Raised In The South!

Thick, Chunky, Warm & Wet. Yes Sir I love me some G.R.I.T.S.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,551
Posts18,510,336
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.