Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BamBam Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year old scotch today. I have never had it, I do like A single malt. Is this on anyone's list of a good scotch? How do you prefer your scotch rocks or neat? I will partake after dinner.

Last edited by BamBam; 01/01/14.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Neat.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I drink only scotch. Teachers with a splash of water and lemon around the glass rim.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta have a couple ice cubes.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Macallan 12 is a classic sherry cask matured single malt. Whether it is a good scotch depends entirely on your palate and preferences. I prefer my scotch neat, in a Glencairn glass (a snifter will do) with a drop or more of water added to open it up. The Macallan 12 sherry matured can have problems with sulfur off notes. I prefer my whiskey to be at a higher alcohol content than 80 proof (40%). The single malts that I recommend most to beginner single malt drinkers is the Highland Park 12 and Balvenie Double Wood 12. Hope you enjoy.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tack
I drink only scotch. Teachers with a splash of water and lemon around the glass rim.

I'm fond of Teachers too. One of the highest malt content blends with a good peated Ardmore highland malt as it's signature malt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You will like it. I like just about every single malt I've tried.

I will begin partaking at halftime of the Rose Bowl�..I'm thinking Balvenie 12-yr.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was gifted a bottle in my early whisky drinking days and I recall liking it quite a bit.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 30338

There are a couple problems with drinking whiskey on the rocks. The cold retards the aromatics of the whiskey affecting it's nose and it's taste (since much of our taste has to do with our sense of smell.) The other problem is that ice will dilute the whiskey such that as the ice melts the whiskey can be drowned out (i.e. dilutes the flavors too much). I always suggest people try adding water to the flavor or amount of heat that they can handle. This way, your last sip will taste like the one before it and the one before that.

I know it's a tough habit to break. I was once an "on the rocks" fellow, but enjoy it much more now, drinking it neat and adding water to my taste. Good whiskey is expensive, might as well get all the flavor out of it that the distiller puts into it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Originally Posted by 30338

There are a couple problems with drinking whiskey on the rocks. The cold retards the aromatics of the whiskey affecting it's nose and it's taste (since much of our taste has to do with our sense of smell.) The other problem is that ice will dilute the whiskey such that as the ice melts the whiskey can be drowned out (i.e. dilutes the flavors too much). I always suggest people try adding water to the flavor or amount of heat that they can handle. This way, your last sip will taste like the one before it and the one before that.

I know it's a tough habit to break. I was once an "on the rocks" fellow, but enjoy it much more now, drinking it neat and adding water to my taste. Good whiskey is expensive, might as well get all the flavor out of it that the distiller puts into it.

You don't have to get personal�.calling me a retard for drinking on the rocks! laugh

I may need to try your suggestion��although I'm not sophisticated enough to know about aromatics and such.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Macallan 12 year is a good Scotch IMO. I have it on hand at all times. I drink it like I drink all my whiskey neat.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Neat
Balvenie 21 YO port wood

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffP
Neat
Balvenie 21 YO port wood

I knew there had to be another Balvenie lover here!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Neat, for the reasons cooper gave.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Neat with a splash of water, a small splash.

Both your Macallan and the suggested Balveenie are horrible gateway drugs to a horrible lifelong single malt addiction.

I started with them, and I now drink Laphroaig - the dirty brown heroin of whiskies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rovering
Neat with a splash of water, a small splash.

Both your Macallan and the suggested Balveenie are horrible gateway drugs to a horrible lifelong single malt addiction.

I started with them, and I now drink Laphroaig - the dirty brown heroin of whiskies.

LOL

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I think there are maybe four of us on this forum who admit to drinking Laphroaig by choice.

Cheers. wink

B
BamBam Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Okay, I am in the process of partaking. I like it, I do not think I am capable of deciphering notes.I am drinking it neat. I believe I can detect the sulfur notes that Cooper was referring to. I am going to try with a bit of water. One thing I know I do not enjoy is any scotch with any peat notes. One of my favorite single malts is the Dalmore 15year with the 12 year a very close second.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BamBam
Okay, I am in the process of partaking. I like it, I do not think I am capable of deciphering notes.I am drinking it neat. I believe I can detect the sulfur notes that Cooper was referring to. I am going to try with a bit of water. One thing I know I do not enjoy is any scotch with any peat notes. One of my favorite single malts is the Dalmore 15year with the 12 year a very close second.

Damn! Not even half-time yet. You're getting a head start on me. If you don't like peat�.don't even try Oban. I've developed a taste for it. But it is different. When I first tried it, I thought I was drinking Campho-Phenique! LOL.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tjm10025

I think there are maybe four of us on this forum who admit to drinking Laphroaig by choice.

Cheers. wink

Peat is the single best thing to ever happen to whisky wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (35, 2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 16 invisible), 1,604 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,963
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.