Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac

Take your best friend now...life long...since you were kids..the one you'd bury bodies for and who'd help you burying bodies...he tells you such a thing tomorrow...he's done and gone then?

Unfortunately, don't have any friends like that. Only thing comparable would be a guy that I went to HS with and then to college with.

If he pulled that, I don't think I'd be as mad at him for his lifestyle as I would be for living the lie.

I can't say what I'd do in that situation. I don't think there's anything that could prepare a person for that, unless you've been in "those" shoes.

Hopefully I'd forgo my Redneck First response and try to act Christ like..

Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner route, but things would probably never get back to the way they were....

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Wouldn't change my love but it would likely change my relationship. With young children in my home I would have to be careful that it didn't seem to be something I approved of.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by gunner500
In my case it's being true to myself and my beliefs on what I believe to be right and wrong.

Painful as it may be, I'd have to stick to my guns, although, I've never had/needed friends there for me either.

Gunner

=========

Are you saying that which made him a trusted friend can no longer exist because of his disclosure?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Wouldn't change anything for me, I don't think. Hard to say until it happens, I guess, but I hope I wouldn't treat them different.

If I could add one thing, what would you do if they were a non-participating homosexual? Say they were gay but decided it was wrong so they didn't actually have a relationship? There are people who are celibate, so would that change your opinion, knowing that they wanted to but didn't? Is it just the act that would change your opinion of them?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
In my case it's being true to myself and my beliefs on what I believe to be right and wrong.

Painful as it may be, I'd have to stick to my guns, although, I've never had/needed friends there for me either.

Gunner

=========

Are you saying that which made him a trusted friend can no longer exist because of his disclosure?

Yes, Counselor.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

If they dropped that bombshell on me tomorrow and I bailed, is it a reflection of me as a person or of them?

I think it's a reflection on the relationships. If my closest friends all 'came out' as gay, I'd wager I never really knew them very well...at all.

Would it matter? Yes, it would to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess I don't truly love anyone.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Hell it would save the cock blocking when you go out

Would you bail because they were gay or because they deceived you and kept it a secret from you?

This^^^. Yep, never knew them.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
If I could add one thing, what would you do if they were a non-participating homosexual? Say they were gay but decided it was wrong so they didn't actually have a relationship? There are people who are celibate, so would that change your opinion, knowing that they wanted to but didn't? Is it just the act that would change your opinion of them?
-------------------

If it were a loved one,family or true friend, should it even matter?

Last edited by isaac; 01/09/14.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Friends would be out, I never knew them anyway if they turned out gay. I would pray for them.

They will always be my children and I would still love them but I would be so disappointed I'm not sure I could fellowship with them. I am raising my sons as Christians and seeing that God calls homosexuality an abomination that is what I teach them. I would continue to pray for them as I do for any other number of things.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A lot of interesting comments. I know exactly what I would do and what my wife would do if one of our friends turned out gay or lesbian. We would love them just as we loved them before.

Now before I get blasted because I am a Christian let me say this. I do not approve, I do not understand, I know God does not approve, but I would still love them.

I know this because in the last three years to woman we have known since they were kids have told us they are lesbians. There are also two gay men closely attached to our lives. I don't approve, I don't understand but they are both great guys and are welcome in my home and at my table.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can True Love Be Conditional?

No - if it's conditional then it's not true. Conditional love would be a oxymoron.

Much of what is called love is just a form of addiction with the other person giving you something you want or need, whether emotional, spiritual or physical. When that other person no longer provides what you need then you "fall out of love" with them. A good yardstick I have read is that you know it is actually love when you don't want anything from the other person.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I

Gunner

=========

Yes, Counselor.

Gunner

=========

You've always been a straight up man and respected by me and many others here, pard. I can't understand the ease by which someone could say "you're erased" to an acknowledged friend,though.

I don't have any gay friends; I don't think I do anyways. I do know what true friends I do have. They became such without more than the usual life long proven criteria. I'd hate losing such a thing for something I never concerned myself with in the first place.

William Arthur Ward

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
So Bob, what if one of your friends said he was a pedophile?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
We had a different, but instructive, situation in our family. My brother in law had cause to have his DNA tested. It turned out that he is 1/8 negro.

It didn't faze us in the slightest. He's still the same great guy I grew up with, the one who married my sister about 40 years ago.

His siblings are in serious denial though.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LBP

I would be so disappointed I'm not sure I could fellowship with them. I am raising my sons as Christians and seeing that God calls homosexuality an abomination that is what I teach them. I would continue to pray for them as I do for any other number of things.

I struggle with this and have given it some thought. Humans tend to "rank" our sin from almost acceptable to downright despicable, with homos registering on the Super Evil end of the spectrum.

Does God view our sin that way.? What I get from scripture is, sin is sin is SIN...

We are all sinners, and sin all the time, even when we don't want to. Paul was struggling with sin in Romans 7. It makes me feel better that he was struggling with it as well...

While I find Homosexuality disgusting and a perversion of Nature, is it any more of a Sin than Coveting your neighbors possessions or having an affair with someone other than your wife.?

Just some tough questions that have crossed my mind lately...

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by eyeball

==========

Really,doctor?

William Arthur Ward

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
-------------------

If it were a loved one,family or true friend, should it even matter?

No, I don't think it should. I'm just curious what it is exactly that would cause some people to drop a loved one or someone close to them from their lives. Some say it's because homosexuality is an abomination, but does that change if the person didn't actually engage in the behaviour?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by eyeball

==========

Really,doctor?

pedo ='s target, no? smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unconditional love does not necessarily mean unconditional acceptance or approval.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 2500HD, 1234, 117LBS, 58 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,878
Posts18,518,151
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.