Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I got an email back from the customer service folks yesterday confirming that the Speer Deep Curl will no longer be sold as component bullets (even though their website shows it as a component). Unfortunate, as it's the most accurate bullet in my 280 AI.

Is it me, or do they seem to be all over the map? The Trophy Bonded Bear Claw was available as a Speer Component, then that decision was reversed and the TBBC was licensed/sold to Federal. The Fusion was supposed to be made available as a component...then it wasn't...then it came out as the Deep Curl...but they said the Deep Curl wasn't actually the Fusion. Never mind that shortly after the DC's release, they had the whole pressure spike craziness, indicating that they hadn't done adequate testing before releasing it to the public.

I don't know. They seem to frequently release stuff and then fairly quickly pull it back or change the design. They just strike me as a company that's capable of impressive innovation, but one whose business decisions are haphazard. Either way, I'm not getting sucked in again by their component craziness.

Chris
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go Barnes no surprises..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Go Barnes no surprises..

Thanks for that pearl of wisdom.

Chris
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're welcome..thank me later grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Go Barnes no surprises..

Oh really?

What happened to the XLC and a few others?

There are probably fewer suprises with Nosler and Hornady.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Go Barnes no surprises..

Yep...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I still have part of the only box of Deep-Shoks that I ever saw on a shelf.

I also wonder what sort of dust-up took place between Cabela's and Speer as Speer bullets disappeared from Cabela's shelves long ago.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I shoot plenty of Barnes, but I was commenting on Speer and their propensity for marketing silliness.

Chris
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have wanted their .429 240gr flat points for two years.
Now looking for Noslers.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Federal was also going to offer the Trophy Bonded Tip as a component at one time. It was even on the website. Something changed, it was never offered. Guess they didn't want my business.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes they do some weird crap.

The Deep Curl is the new Hot Cor. No its not. In some calibres it is, in some its not. In some its only for the heavier weights. Wait no, its actually not.

So now they pull it?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hornadys are cheap, accurate and hold together almost as well as any premium bullet.
Speer bullets have failed me by either not expanding or disintegrating.
Bullets that failed me - 6mm 105 grain - not expanding one iota, 7mm mag tips in a 280 - disintegrating almost severing an antelopes head from the body (I have witnesses), 30 caliber 180 grain grand slam -- disintegrating shot from a 308 no less.

I will use their varmint bullets, but never again game bullets!

I may try the 250 grain 35 caliber bullets as they are almost as accurate as the Hornadys. So far I've only shot paper with those Speer bullets. Speer has let me down and Hornady hasn't. So...

Last edited by SoDakota; 01/15/14.

For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the 145gr 7mm Boat Tail, but that's the only Speer rifle bullet I shoot. A box of 30 year old bullets I loaded shoots just like the recent boxes I ordered this fall. I can see where product availability on their other lines could frustrate a customer.......

Now with even more aplomb
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Go Barnes no surprises..

Yeah right. How many forms of the X-bullet have been introduced, only to see a bunch of them become no longer available.

I like and use Barnes bullets, but they haven't exactly been consistent with their offerings.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
Go Barnes no surprises..

Oh really?

What happened to the XLC and a few others?

There are probably fewer suprises with Nosler and Hornady.
^^^^^^^ PLUS 1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I waited for a good while to get some deep curls in .244" but got tired of waiting and picked up some Accubonds instead.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lets not forget the Deep Shok too...

They can't seem to keep anything on the shelves from what I've seen. Wouldn't surprise me if Speer went titz up one of these days.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I still have part of the only box of Deep-Shoks that I ever saw on a shelf.

I also wonder what sort of dust-up took place between Cabela's and Speer as Speer bullets disappeared from Cabela's shelves long ago.

Cabelas has Speer bullets on their website. Can't speak for the shelves though.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Lets not forget the Deep Shok too...

They can't seem to keep anything on the shelves from what I've seen. Wouldn't surprise me if Speer went titz up one of these days.

That ain't happen in'; ATK, parent company, isn't going anywhere.

OP is spot-on though. They're flaky as heck and it's beyond marketing silliness; it's product offering fickleness. Pretty irritating to the consumer when there is no predicting what'll be available from one year to the next!

Not that I am complaining about continuing to get my Hot Cor .257/100-HPs! Coyotes won't be happy though wink !!!

Even so; pass me some Hornadys...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Those Speer 257 100 grain hollow points are absolutely devastating!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (160user, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,016
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.