-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good thought there, Virgil. Maybe I will start a thread about cover garments.

Since deciding to carry a 1911 OWB a few years ago I have acquired a PILE of various vests, and lots of sleevless plaid shirts (most of my shirts are sleeveless) and other garments just for covering the gun.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
When I am home or just around town I carry one in the chamber and eight in the mag. When I leave for some place like Tacoma I have two extra eight round mags for a total of twenty five. No problem carrying extra mags.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
The guy who needed nine rounds and only had eight. Google Trolley Square shooting Salt Lake City and see what the off duty officer who found himself in the middle of a shirt-storm said about only having eight rounds in an actual armed encounter, not in your Jeff Cooper book.

I've been around the block long enough to know very few people carry a spare mag with their carry gun and that number is even less with the guys I know who carry 1911s, and their excuse is always because their pistol is already too heavy. Also know lots of guys who bought 1911s and carried them for a week and now they're locked in a safe. I'd imagine DFE had good intentions of carrying that $3k Wilson when he ordered it .... whistle

Actually, I had no intentions of carrying it. I knew that the extra weight was literally a pain in the butt for me, but being a stubborn cuss, I bought a nice holster and gave it a go anyway. Then I was reminded of why I carry the Shield. I bought the Wilson mainly as a target and range gun.

As I said before, the 1911 is a brilliant piece of history that every gun owner should have. It's a wonderful design and has served it's purpose very well. It's battle tested and proven over the decades (and century).

That said, the gun is outdated by a great deal. Literally the only advantage I can think of that the 1911 has over modern pistols is the great trigger. If, God forbid, I ever have to pull my gun in self defense, the last thing I'm going to be worried about is the trigger. If I were to list the priorities of my carry piece, trigger would probably be right down towards the bottom.

I know there are special forces and marines and all sorts of people using the 1911 every day to defend their lives. It works and works well...but it's my opinion that there are way better options available, and I attribute much of their continued use to tradition and the "old guard" making the decisions. If you put the vote up to the troops, I have a hunch they'd make a different choice. (And yes, I know there are exceptions. Save the stories of that one special fbi unit that went from 1911 to glock/M&P/whatever and then back to 1911s. I'm talking generally.)

At the top of my list would be things like reliability, dependability, size, weight, capacity, etc. A glock 19 (as an example) beats the 1911 hands down in every category. If you were stuck on caliber, the glock 21 holds 14 rounds and weighs 5 oz less when loaded. The new compact 9s are a pleasure to shoot and carry. The shield, XDs, and new R1 are the next gen of great carry options that strike a great balance between firepower and size/weight.

I respect those of you who choose to carry a 1911. We call get to carry what we're most comfortable with, I get it. But to those who say "man up" or "it's only a pound!" or "get a good belt" or "it's all in the holster" are clinging to nostalgia and trying to convince themselves that they're carrying the best. It reminds me of my dad telling me not to buy a car with electric windows, because it's "just one more thing to break." Or telling me he doesn't need more than a 9600 baud modem. Or that he doesn't need a stinking cell phone because his home phone works fine. What he has works for him, and has worked for years, so he's slow to adopt the newer tech.

I'd bet that a large majority of regular 1911 carriers are over 50 years old. It's just what you know. I'd also bet that there are very few guys (or gals) aged 30 or younger that would consider a 1911 as a valid daily carry. There are exceptions, of course, but I'd put a large sum of money on that guess.

I've got a whole box full of holsters. Dozens. I've tried and tested and done youtube reviews on dozens of different carry pistols and holster combos. I'm an adamant believer: every ounce makes a huge difference in a carry weapon. Every fraction of an inch makes a huge difference. Every upgrade in weight v firepower ratio makes a huge difference.

There are just better options right now. You want caliber? Pick a 45 that weighs much less and holds more rounds. You want capacity? Most 9s or 40s carry 15+ in a mid size gun now. All will be more reliable than an off-the-shelf 1911. You want the thin carry profile? There are plenty of options.

Carrying the 1911 is a dying habit. Like the stick shift and the vinyl records, there will always be people that do it, but not necessarily because it's the best thing going.

Whew. How's that for a rant.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 36 and have had a CPL since the day I turned 21. I have carried a 1911 for probably 90% of my CCW.

I've long known the magazines are almost always the weak link of any CCW package and thus always carried at least 1 spare mag. I'm not a little guy but have no issue carrying any of my 1911's and 2 spare mags just as I have no issue with my high caps and a spare mag.

With even a little practice reloading should take under 2 seconds which isn't likely to be a problem as my ass will hopefully be moving to solid bullet stopping cover long before my gun is dry.

As to round count there isn't a whole lot of documented cases of a PROFICIENT CCW'er needing more then 8-10 rounds in a self defense situation and a literal schittt ton of cases where its over in 2-6 rounds. Most bad guys arent apt to stick around when the good guy starts shooting back. There are some but 99% of the time the bad guy will disengage long before a proficient shooter runs dry. We are talking defensive shooting here not offensive.

This of course doesn't apply to LEO who are tasked with taking the fight too the bad guys. If on the offensive side and stuck with a handgun I will take every round I can carry comfort be damned

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Because I want the first shot to count coup', I want a GREAT trigger on my handgun. I am much more of an aimed fire guy VS a spray and pray guy. If my target is at the front of a theatre or way down the hallway at the mall, especially, gimmee a good 1911 (which is why that is exactly what I carry) And with my 10mm loads, I really don't think that I need a whole bunch of rounds. Any decent contact is likely going to be a deal ender or fight stopper. And, if I have to shoot through a car door or window or wallboard or??? 180grs at 1375 with a bonded HP bullet are likely going to get it done.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by safariman
Because I want the first shot to count coup', I want a GREAT trigger on my handgun. I am much more of an aimed fire guy VS a spray and pray guy. If my target is at the front of a theatre or way down the hallway at the mall, especially, gimmee a good 1911 (which is why that is exactly what I carry) And with my 10mm loads, I really don't think that I need a whole bunch of rounds. Any decent contact is likely going to be a deal ender or fight stopper. And, if I have to shoot through a car door or window or wallboard or??? 180grs at 1375 with a bonded HP bullet are likely going to get it done.

I'm the same way, Safariman, but from most accounts I've read on shootings (especially when it isn't an LEO) the person doing the shooting can't remember aiming or firing the gun. There is so much emotion going on at that moment. There may be some out there that could size up the situation, deliberately aim, and then slowly squeeze off a round, hitting the bad guy between the eyes, but I'd think those situations are pretty rare. I think it's been found that even cops who have been trained to deal with those kind of situations forget to aim their guns properly. Maybe others who know more about the subject could fill us in.

I love a good trigger as much as the next guy, but I'm just saying that in a defensive situation when the adrenalin is flowing, the last thing on your mind is going to be your trigger break.

And as far as caliber goes, that's a whole 'nother argument, but it seems that more and more that we're finding that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. And if you're a civilian shooting through a car door or a window, you're probably going to jail.

Bottom line for me is simply just to have a gun. If it's heavy or uncomfortable, I'm not likely to carry it much. If it's not obtrusive and I forget I have it on, I'll be much more likely to carry, and much more likely to have it when I need it. A full sized 40+ oz steel 1911 hanging on a belt is about as obtrusive as it gets.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Weight does matter it makes the weapon more controllable during rapid firing as well as any other type firing. The 1911 is used elite units because there is nothing better reliability, accuracy, trigger, etc. LAPD, Marine Expeditionary Forces, FBI elite units chose the 1911. They could have chosen any weapon in the world but choose the 1911. The only downside is the cost of manufacture when done correctly, but when done so nothing else compares.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not going to bash anyone's choice of carry as long as it works for them. I chose a 1911 and am happy. It works for me. A good friend chooses a Glock, it works for him.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I carry a Dan Wesson vbob in a Kramer horsehide close to every day. I like it I have owned and carried glocks and m&p,s compact and subcompact, but I would rather carry my 1911.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I carry a Springfield TRP SS almost everyday in a Milt Sparks executive companion IWB and spare mag. On the days that I want to change it up, I carry a Glock 20 in a Milt Sparks executive companion and spare mag.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I open carry a remington R1 at times. Usually only when I have been out messing around at the camp or something and forget to remove it. Open carry is legal but I have been concerned that people would be alarmed by it, mostly because of its size. If I were to purposefully open carry I would probably use something a little more discrete. To my knowledge no one has even noticed I was open carrying except for the manager of the Pizza inn. He wanted to check out my gun and said I would never see a "no firearms" sign on his business.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
I've got a whole box full of holsters. Dozens. I've tried and tested and done youtube reviews on dozens of different carry pistols and holster combos....

....you make some compelling arguments dfe........I'd love to see some of your youtube reviews.....please post links. Thanks.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just got a colt cco, alloy officers frame with a commander slide. I really like it and sits comfortable to carry but I could uses a better holster. Any recommendations on iwb holsters.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I'm the same way, Safariman, but from most accounts I've read on shootings (especially when it isn't an LEO) the person doing the shooting can't remember aiming or firing the gun. There is so much emotion going on at that moment. There may be some out there that could size up the situation, deliberately aim, and then slowly squeeze off a round, hitting the bad guy between the eyes, but I'd think those situations are pretty rare. I think it's been found that even cops who have been trained to deal with those kind of situations forget to aim their guns properly. Maybe others who know more about the subject could fill us in.

Thanks for posting your understanding about self-defense gunfights. Your explanation describes most situations - including those involving LEOs - in which many rounds are fired without striking the opponent or ending the threat.

However, if you've read the after action descriptions of experienced shooters who've effectively used their handguns in defensive situations, the theme you'll hear is that their fixation on the front sight, while rapidly delivering shots that strike their target, is the common theme.

Training to present the weapon quickly, aim deliberately, and shoot fast - not slowly - is the real answer, rather than the type of handgun you carry. Carry what you like, just train with it and be effective. For those of us who carry a relic of the 20th century - a 1911 - it's likely that we've taken the time to acquire the skill to be the effective enough. Rant over, but at least I feel better now. smile

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

At the top of my list would be things like reliability, dependability, size, weight, capacity, etc. A glock 19 (as an example) beats the 1911 hands down in every category. If you were stuck on caliber, the glock 21 holds 14 rounds and weighs 5 oz less when loaded. The new compact 9s are a pleasure to shoot and carry. The shield, XDs, and new R1 are the next gen of great carry options that strike a great balance between firepower and size/weight.
In the 11 years that I've been carrying my LW Commander, I have experienced exactly ZERO malfunctions. How much more reliable do you need?

My LW Commander holds 8+1 of .45 or 10+1 of .38 Super. It's flatter than any Glock, and the ergonomics are far superior. It's not only more accurate mechanically, it's just more shootable. So how exactly is a Glock 19 (or pretty much any other pistol "better").

Now I'll admit that the more modern pistols just make WAY more sense for a military or LE Agency; you'll no argument there.

But for an individual, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the 1911 if it's reliable and it fits the needs of the individual. If a gun is 100% reliable and the individual shoots it well, how do you get "better?"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sorry, just not true. I've read several accounts of WELL TRAINED SHOOTERS who vividly remember seeking out the front sight and controlling the trigger. Read some of Mas Ayoob's articles, or Jeff Cooper's. Most graduates of the better shooting schools who have been involved in shootings will tell their whole world became finding that front sight.

What you say may be true of the poorly trained, I can see that. But the pros don't act that way...that's rookie stuff.

It is good to rant, sometimes..... but what you speak is the accurate truth. About training , and to be deliberate ..when using force.
SS.& alloy framed 1911 is on my shopping list
Bobbed- tail Commander would be my preferrance. Give me your choices for quality and good features.
What make and model, would you choose ?

Last edited by CLEANDEAN; 01/24/14.

Never judge a man..till you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way... you will be a mile away from him... and you will have his shoes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just because you don't remember doing something doesn't mean you didn't do it.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
What you say may be true of the poorly trained, I can see that. But the pros don't act that way...that's rookie stuff.

What is rookie stuff? Not remembering using your sights? Not using your sights?

These conversations get so stupid. Especially considering that most defense shootings happen so close I can make center mass shots without even having sights on my pistol, much less taking the time to properly align them.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

What is rookie stuff? Not remembering using your sights? Not using your sights?

These conversations get so stupid. Especially considering that most defense shootings happen so close I can make center mass shots without even having sights on my pistol, much less taking the time to properly align them.

Not using your sights. Obviously that doesnt apply when ranges are close enough to smell his cheap colonge. But nearly every training course in the US teaches you to use your sughts beyond bad breath range. For those who dont, they generally miss a whole lot. Typically there is going to be those people that took their training and never did any follow-up training or shooting. That's what I mean by rookie move. By that definition somebody could be a 30 year veteran and still make a rookie move

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (257 mag, 163bc, 2500HD, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 36 invisible), 1,616 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,445
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.