-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is nothing a slug gun does that a rifle doesn't do as good or better.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wink_man
But there is something about having a wary buck inside of 20 yards of you and have to draw the bow back and get the shot off with him unaware that really floats my boat.

LOL, in my response above I skipped right over that part of the equation, and it's probably the most important. I was sticking to the objective, logical reasons for primitive weapons seasons.

But when you get right down to it, objective logical reasons have little to do with why many people hunt.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wink_man
[Linked Image]

HOLY crap that a nice rig there! Deerslayer?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thank you.

Actually that gun started out life as a Winchester 1300 Ranger, and was a beater when I got it. Took it apart, and reblued whatever I had to. I got the stock on Fleabay, unfinished, and it's actually for a Winchester model 275(from the mid 60's) 22 magnum. Finished it and fit the recoil pad to it. Forend is an unfinished piece for a model 12 that was cracked at the end(I had to cut that part off to fit it anyways). Found the forend unfinished and cracked at a gunshop in Orange County, New Yorkistan. Fit it and finished, the wood isn't a bad match for 2 altogether different pieces of walnut.

Reciever is drilled & tapped(from the factory) and it has a Bushnell Banner 1.5X4.5 variable on it. It's a 20 gauge with a smoothbore slug barrel.

Shoots pretty damn good for a gun with crappy reputation, sporting a cheap scope & shooting chitty foster slugs, LMAO

Last edited by wink_man; 01/28/14.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by BarryC

beg to differ with you a slug leaves alot more blood at point of shot compared to rifle.I've shot plenty of deer with both rifle and shotgun and never once had the same amount of blood from rifle.

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by tbear99

beg to differ with you a slug leaves alot more blood at point of shot compared to rifle.I've shot plenty of deer with both rifle and shotgun and never once had the same amount of blood from rifle.

So you make a bigger hole in the lungs/heart with a slug than with a 45-50 caliber expanded 30 caliber bullet still going 2500 FPS... seems a bit odd to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or start with a .45 and expand from there.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can tell a 1300 instantly by the little "point" where buttstock meets receiver. I believe them to be one of the most underrated shotguns ever. Stroke is short, cycling is fast. I have owned an all camo since the 1st year they made them. I'm thinking like 20-25 years ago? It has rifle sights on it, no vent rib. Shoert barrel, 22" I think. They called it the deer/turkey combo or something. I only use it for turkey though. Would be great for called in coyotes also...........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tbear99

A lot more blood? I'd say a .45 300gr or so projectile makes a PLENTY big hole/blood trail. A slug may make a bigger hole, but it makes a bigger mess too. Unnecessarily IMO.

Are you telling me a .45 300gr bullet doesn't leave enough blood for you? Because I don't understand what your point is. Just sayin'. I have shot a bunch of deer with ML. 1 shot, 1 kill. You never had to be Geronimo to find one either..................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well so much for this...
Great information from this thread. Thanks to all who posted! I appreciate everyone who provided first hand information and staying on topic. It is really helpful to hear from the crowd who live in shotgun-muzzleloader only areas.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking we ARE still on topic though. No?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I'd agree with this, and you could extend it to muzzleloaders and archery.

Which is exactly the point of primitive weapons seasons. Lots of guys choose to go that route for the challenge. When you get within rifle range a rifle hunt is over, whereas a bowhunt or muzzleloader hunt is just beginning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IME a muzzleloader hunt is same way. I'm automatic with it, just like a centerfire rifle(which I kill deer/critters with every year also). I simply do not feel handicapped in any way with my in-line ML.

For me, I have to use a bow or crossbow, or a handgun to really feel "challenged".

When I do hunt a "shotgun zone", I NEVER use a shotgun. ML or hand-cannon for me........

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No doubt that bowhunting is, relatively speaking, much more of a challenge.

I can't say I don't feel handicapped with a muzzleloader compared to an accurate centerfire rifle with a good scope on it though. I guess it depends on the state regs where you hunt, no scopes, sabots, or smokeless powder are allowed here during the ML seasons. Even with a scope, there's no way I could use a muzzleloader to make the same shots I can with my centerfires.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All I'll say is take a look at the LHR REDEMPTION. I will personally vouch for anything and everything they claim. Go to their site and or look them up on utube

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
M.L.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deg967
All I'll say is take a look at the LHR REDEMPTION. I will personally vouch for anything and everything they claim. Go to their site and or look them up on utube

I looked at their website. But I'm not sure of your point, are you saying that with this .50 caliber muzzleloader, you can duplicate the performance of a good centerfire?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
back on topic! Get a "slug gun" if you feel under-gunned with one shot, get a CVA Apex "muzzle loader" if you want better accuracy, want to be able to convert to center fire for the about the same money... whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hunt with both as stated and as far as accuracy and range it's 6 in one half dozen the other....Follow up shots are the 1 bonus factor with the slug gun...it all depends on what you are looking for and comfortable with. I hunted many opening days of slug gun season with my .50 cal Hawkins,still dig that set trigger

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
is there a pump slug gun that will shoot 3 or so into sub 2 inches at 100 yards? Just curious.

Wow Horandy saboted slugs for a 20 guage are $10 for 5 or $40 for 20....a Hornady 50 cal MZ bullet is .75 cents but I don't know how many 100 grain loads are in 16 ounces of powder which costs $30.00 or so.

Last edited by jimmyp; 01/29/14.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,887
Posts18,518,291
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.