Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by watch4bear
plus $3k for installation.

You'd think if a person can smoke pot for pain, without a doctor; the same person could administer chemo to themselves. Just google it.

According to the American Cancer Society (see: http://www.cancer.org/treatment/tre...otherapy-principles-types-of-chemo-drugs ", there is a large number of different chemotherapy drugs. Which one and in what dose should the cancer victim use? If you know, I assume your avocation must be oncology; will you help other members of the 'fire select the proper drug and dosage and what will you charge?

Last edited by djs; 01/28/14.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
The biggest problem with what healthcare charges is most people don't have a clue what they are being charged for. They have no idea how many people are behind the scenes that they never see.

Want to talk cost of drugs. Fine. Our inpatient pharmacy operates 24/7. To cover every shift, every day requires a lot of pharmacists and technicians. To have the drugs on the shelves when you need them requires several people who only work supply. Unfortunately, all those people need management and their support. Oh yeah, those drugs have to be in stock in sufficient amounts. It's not a small amount in inventory that is there just in case that never gets used, but it has to be there just the same. How much mark up has to be made just to break even? It's not a little.

Now, that pharmacy has bills whether we have patients or not. Equipment, cleaning staff, utilities. It's not free. Same goes for every department in the hospital. You may see one nurse, but there are many people behind her that are required for her to give you treatment. The hospital overall has to have admin and HR plus all the costs of providing them a place to work. All those people have to be there whether we see one patient or 100.

Doctors? They certainly don't come for free and you may encounter several along the way.

If your hospital bill had a breakdown of everything you were paying for you would never finish reading it. You see three people while you're in but don't see the other 50 that are there making sure you can be taken care of. You certainly don't see all the millions of dollars worth of equipment that is there just so you can be taken care of.

Then factor in all the people we have to take care of that we know we won't cover expenses. How many businesses are required to sell products below cost or just give them away?

Of course, some of you just want to bitch and don't really want to know what's going on, so bitch away.
Sorry but to put it succinctly, horseshit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd love to know your qualifications for knowing one single thing about health care. I have over 20 years experience in it. Post yours up. Would certainly like to know.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
will you help other members of the 'fire select the proper drug and dosage and what will you charge?

of course I will, and liberals are free of charge. grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'd love to know your qualifications for knowing one single thing about health care. I have over 20 years experience in it. Post yours up. Would certainly like to know.
Paying for it as opposed to being a parasite.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paying for it has nothing to do with knowledge. You know how the auto industry works just because you have a car?

So, in other words you know nothing. just like to bitch. Well, bitch on if it makes you feel better.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Nobody needs healthcare experience to know they're getting it up the tail. All one needs to see is the lifestyle of those in the healthcare industry and its easy to understand. Everybody in the industry make a very good living off a flippin ransom from unfortunate situations. It is complete horseshit. Its like getting abill for 600 bucks from some azzhole declaring your father dead when you saw with your own eyes he was dead when they hauled him out with a sheet over his head. That happened to my best friend. Broken system because of greed. PERIOD!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Damn a snake. And a Democrat, but I repeat myself....

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seal_billy

Nobody needs healthcare experience to know they're getting it up the tail. All one needs to see is the lifestyle of those in the healthcare industry and its easy to understand. Everybody in the industry make a very good living off a flippin ransom from unfortunate situations. It is complete horseshit. Its like getting abill for 600 bucks from some azzhole declaring your father dead when you saw with your own eyes he was dead when they hauled him out with a sheet over his head. That happened to my best friend. Broken system because of greed. PERIOD!

Who are these rich people you speak of? Really? Go down to your local hospital and find one. All the hospitals I've worked for barely met budget. As a pharmacist, I make less working for a hospital than I would a retail store.

People bitch and complain about freeloaders in our society, but when it comes to healthcare they want to be one themselves.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
As a pharmacist, I make less working for a hospital than I would a retail store.
So you're one of those guys charging a hundred bucks for two Tylenols, then.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
As a pharmacist, I make less working for a hospital than I would a retail store.

No. The hospital sets the prices. Drug billing is one of the few areas a hospital is able to recoup the expense of doing business. I'd try to explain, but doubt you'll listen anymore than others here. Everyone wants the best healthcare possible, they just think it should be free. Never mind that a hospital has to employee hundreds of employees and have many millions of dollars worth of equipment to see one single patient.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

and you are one of the people responsible for wasting the Earth's supply of oxygen......I'll side with Kodiakisland

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Everyone wants the best healthcare possible, they just think it should be free.
Nonsense. Its prices should be products of the free market, which they are not. No way a free market would support anything like the prices charged by hospitals in the US.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nonsense. Its prices should be products of the free market, which they are not. No way a free market would support anything like the prices charged by hospitals in the US.

And you base that on what?

Wouldn't I be making more working for the hospital instead of less? I guess you can just ignore the things that don't support your "theories".

Granted, I think we could do with less oversight and lower gov standards, but I'm not sure that would always be a positive thing when it comes to your healthcare. I certainly don't like Medicaid and medicare paying less than actual cost either.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Oh please. You only need to understand the basic principles of free markets. Making price shopping impossible, and arranging things such that payments are made by third parties who then socialize their expenses, is a formula for massive overpricing. This is fundamental stuff. And you don't need to work in the field to know that two Tylenol don't cost the hospital a hundred dollars, or anything close to it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Oh please. You only need to understand the basic principles of free markets. Making price shopping impossible, and arranging things such that payments are made by third parties who then socialize their expenses, is a formula for massive overpricing. This is fundamental stuff. And you don't need to work in the field to know that two Tylenol don't cost the hospital a hundred dollars, or anything close to it.

Well, if I was you I'd just stick to the herbal remedies. They were just fine for our ancestors.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Well, if I was you I'd just stick to the herbal remedies. They were just fine for our ancestors.
I sense some false unstated premises in your response, and I notice that you didn't actually respond to what I said in my post above.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Really? My hospital works on generally on less than a 1% profit margin. While I'm certainly well fed, I have life in my hands every day and probably make less than an average NFL player.

While our health care system needed some intensive therapy, if nothing changes the ACA, you ain't seen nothing yet.

You, sir, paint with too broad and a sloppy brush.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hospitals have been used as an instrument of redistribution of wealth. Hate the government for this.

Having said that, I have run my own healthcare facility for decades. The whole works. I have run it for a fraction of the national average. Dental care, for the most part during my life has been far closer to a free market than hospital care and the cost, in real dollars reflects that fact.

When I go into hospitals, I see monumental waste and I know what I am looking at. IMO the reason is not so different than government, the accountability has been obfuscated by second and third party payers. Which docs know what something costs? None. Which patients ask? Few. Why, because insurance or the govt or someone else pays for it. Then there are the tort drivers that drive up the costs because of CYA medicine and insurance. There are many reasons.

If you doubt that the market place can positively impact health care look at the cost of complex surgical cosmetic procedures. They are competitive to say the least. Why? Insurance does not cover them.

Govt out, tort reforms, and real market based reforms (patients need an incentive to ask, how much?) are the answers. IMO.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Who are these rich people you speak of? Really? Go down to your local hospital and find one. All the hospitals I've worked for barely met budget. As a pharmacist, I make less working for a hospital than I would a retail store.

People bitch and complain about freeloaders in our society, but when it comes to healthcare they want to be one themselves.

Don't want $hit for free just want to pay what its worth, not have a hospitalization ruin me financially. As for these people that are rich I know them personally, my wifes boss owns a drug store. He is flippin loaded, I have a best friend who works for a orthopaedic surgeon, you guessed it flippin loaded. I also have another close friend who's wife is a nurse, they live a pretty cushy life too. I don't feel to awfully bad for these folks.

I understand that medicare pays less for some meds than they cost cause my wifes boss bitches about it but it doesn't seem to affect his lifestyle, seems he makes it up somewhere else.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,540
Posts18,472,850
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.