Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
What Mickey sees in his mind's eye when he recalls it is a Young, Black, woman.

To relate it otherwise would lack the poignancy of the way he told it.

Bingo.

You want to hear a man tell of his experiences, you listen to the recollections of the man.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen two. When I was a kid we were up at our camp in Pennsylvania, and out for a ride in the mountains. Narrow, twisting mountain roads-straight up the hill on one side, straight down on the other. A car came flying by us with a small motorcycle right behind it with two guys on it. Dad commented, "we'll see them wrapped around a telephone pole up here somewhere." Sure enough, just a few minutes later, we rounded a curve and could see where the bike had piled up, and the car had rolled down the mountain. One of the guys from the bike ended up propped up against the guard rail. I will never forget that his face was covered in blood, eyes open wide. We could see the car down over the side of the hill on it's roof with the wheels still spinning. One doesn't forget those images. Both people in the car and both kids on the bike died.

The other time was also a car accident. A construction zone at an intersection. A semi ran the light and hit a Geo Metro going with the green. Climbed right up over the car with it's trailer and kept on going. I don't think they ever did get the driver. Poor lady was dead on the scene. You remember weird things from stuff like that. I remember running up to her car, and another guy was all ready there. I asked if she had a pulse and he told me the whole side of her head was caved in. What struck me was the dash lights were still working, and the wipers were trying to run. I never did hear if they caught the guy, but I don't think they did.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Outside of a sick bed or funeral, I've only seen 1 dead person. I was driving and came over a hill to find a guy had rolled his van and went through the windshield. His body was lying in the road. It had only happened a minute or 2 earlier but several cars had already stopped so I kept going. It was a long way from anywhere and I didn't pass a cop heading out for almost 20 min.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A friend of mine is local PD and a couple of years ago he was first on the scene of a suicide. The man had shot himself in the side of the head with a revolver and was sitting in a chair. He was still alive but couldnt or wouldnt speak when he talked to him. He told me the man's eyes were moving around as if he was looking around the room, he told him to remain calm that medics were on the way, but he was gone within a minute if that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Furprick
Originally Posted by MColeman
I've seen a lot from when I worked with the Rescue Squad. Had a young black woman die on us from an embolism caused by childbirth. Same thing killed my mother.

Wouldn't 'young women ' suffice ?

If she'd been handicapped, would referring to her as a "young handicapped woman" bother you? Or as "a young Japanese woman" if she were a Japanese woman? I assume that "young" doesn't bother you. Why not?

By what logic, standard, or principle is referring to a black as a black somehow objectionable? Not mentioning that fact doesn't eliminate that fact.

Or are you just intent on showing everybody how prissily fastidious you are � and expect everybody else to be?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Before I became a fireman and saw people killed in just about every manner except a human sacrifice I worked in construction. My close friend was the superintendent.

I picked him up that morning and he was telling me their would be a helicopter to lift AC units onto the roof of a big furniture store.
He was explaining that cranes had a high failure rate and it would be faster with the copter.

Extra sheet metal guys were hire out of the local union hall and the store manager was there to watch and take pictures. I was also going to take pictures since I had just bought a basic SLR camera.

So the first 2 units go on and it was really cool to watch and take pics from the roof. The copter pics up the third unit and is moving to the roof opening and we hear a mechanical high pitched whine, the copter drops the unit on the roof from about 30 feet and in one motion crashes on the roof. I remember the pilot shutting down the engine and [bleep] flying everywhere. We ran to the copter when it shut down and helped the pilot out. The spotter bailed right as we got there. It was then we realized the copter landed on one guy, I remember people scattering but this guy didn't and the poor S.O.B. was pinned under the copter face down with the skid across his back from his left low back to his right shoulder blade.
And he was still alive, banging on the steel deck with his right arm.
We tried to lift the copter with the structural steel under it but there was no leverage point, the deck steel just sheared like a can opener.
The fuel tank on the copter opened up and was running over his head and through a hole into the building.
When the pilot released his load the ac unit hit the roof right next to the wall where the shear strength was greatest. 10 feet over and it might have gone through the roof. Where the copter crashed was over a structural column that went through to the foundation or it would have gone through the roof.
I got the heebee jeebees for a long time anytime I had to work a helispot especially when they were coming in to land 10 feet from us.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I pulled a scuba Diver who was struggling into shore while I was fishing. He was blue and didn't look to good. Other divers got some oxygen for him and he came around pretty fast.

About the time he was starting to walk around 2 other divers surfaced further out. They were brought to shore by some other guys. One looked dead but cpr was done on him when he got to shore. The other of the second 2 was fine at first but started having some pretty serious pain. Both of them were flew to the twin cities where they were pronounced dead. One from a hard attack suffered 200 feet down and the other from the benz (sp?) From rising to fast with his dying buddy.

I was 21 at the time and doubt I'll forgot the look of them guys and the site of the guy in extreme pain and uncontrollable spasms.

I took a valuable lesson away from it all. It was hardly a remote area and it still seemed to take forever for help from the paramedics to arrive.

Last edited by wisturkeyhunter; 01/29/14.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
couple years ago wife and I woke to some kids lighting off fireworks out front of the house. I grab a flashlight and headout to move them along, not wanting the ifreworks to wake my little kids.

On the way down the steps & outside I hear a cat whining & crying.

In the 70 seconds it took me to get shoes on and walk over, a VERY frantic officer had already arrived.

It wasnt a cat, it was a lady in the street, shot by her husbands GF. Apparently she died right about that time.

Last edited by Crockettnj; 01/29/14.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Head on collision between a water cooled, 2 stroke 750 Suzuki (water buffalo) and Chevy Suburban,..back around 1984, or so.

Bike doing about 70,..Suburban doing about 50,..about 50 yards in front of me.

I was on another bike.

The Suburban knocked the Suzuki back in my direction but to my left.

It happened in a lot less time than it takes to tell about it.

My memory of it is an enormous *BLAM!*,..the bike tumbling end over end in the opposite direction that it had been traveling an instant before, the Suburban going off the road behind the tumbling bike and punching through a white board painted fence, then having to get on the brakes and swerving right to keep my bike from hitting the body laying in the middle of the road.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been there for several, including one in my arms. First though I was 6 at a car accident a half block from home. It has been 53 years since, remember the car, the wreck, the people, the night, yeah.... the first never fades. The others just remember a little bit.

The other subject - white are not the only ones that differentiate a race in relating a story, Blacks, Native Americans, Asians.. yeah we all do it. It tells a bit of the story of what happened and reactions. Not racist, nor prejudiced, just a point of fact.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Not trying to one up or be that guy but seriously, there have been too many to remember. People do really stupid ass stuff when left to their own devices.

Crimson Tide had it right...there is no dignity in dying at all. Watched more than a few die in the midst of total strangers in all manner of dress or undress...etc., etc.

I think about folks going off to work like every other day, having done the same routine and expecting nothing different at all...and then never going home that night...that strikes me as odd. Nobody goes to work thinking they will get zapped that day...nobody.

Old folks dying is a natural process...has no effect on me at all. Kids dying bothers the sh�t out of me and all the dudes I work with...just hits home like a punch in the face in a dark room...really blows...some of those have left a mark.

Suicides are bizarre...not the gore part but the desperation a person must feel to take it to the limit. Although the physical damage sustained from a swan dive off the 16th floor onto your squash on the street below is beyond what most can imagine.

Auto erotic asphyxiation is just plain [bleep] up...do CPR on a sex act gone bad...just bizarre on a few levels.

People killing each other is a bit twisted as well. Worked an ass clown who slit his throat...he made it only to have us eating dinner a few shifts later watching the evening news and see the same douchebag in an orange jumpsuit. Two cities south he ambushed, robbed and murdered an old buck at his home. Clearly we should have let that cock sucker bleed out a few weeks earlier.

Had a few lose all pressure in MVA's as mentioned earlier...sitting and talking to you until the pressure point is released and the internally bleed to death and expire.

As far as the first...it was 10 year old kid on the back of his mom's cocked boyfriends motorcycle. I have never forgot the look on the kids face...probably wont either.

People die in all sorts of ways...this is mostly what I take from it:
1) no dignity in it 95% + of the time.
2) people do really stupid stuff and usually it doesn't go well for them.
3) for the most part we cannot pick and choose how we go from this place...no more than how we got here...for the most part.

....Mickey...don't feel bad...I usually preference most of my stories the same way...a black dude, a white dude(usually in the wrong neighborhood), a Hispanic dude, a Puerto Rican dude, a Chinese or Asian dude, a fat dude, a skinny dude, a drunk dude, a whacked out dude, a punk ass dude, a Greek dude, an old dude, a young dude, a poor dude, a sh�t bum dude, a dead dude, a frozen dude, a gay dude, ....you get the picture...

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The real question is...Have you ever killed a dude or dudette? War does count...

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
as first responder with the JAWS there were 3 but before we got there, the ones that bother me are the ones in extream pain before you can extract them.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only seen three.

One was my former neighbor. She ate both barrels of a sawed off 12 gauge in front of our apartments. It was a sickening mess.

The other was a guy who hit a car head on riding a motorcycle. He died later that night, but as i understand it, he didnt get to the hospital for over an hour after the wreck. Poor guy.

The other was my Mother In Law. She was hard to watch pass. Her breathing hurt to listen to, and it is still very painful to think about her dying. I held her hand on the way out, and kissed her goodbye for my wife who was too torn up to go back in the room.

Just remember folks, we could all go at any moment. Love like there is no tomorrow, cuz there just might not be...

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Norm...dead is dead...I agree...I also agree that the live ones that check out before your eyes is a helpless feeling and leaves you asking if you could have done something different to make a difference or at least eased their freaking pain before heading to the white light.

Last edited by fatjack34; 01/29/14.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by Furprick
Originally Posted by MColeman
I've seen a lot from when I worked with the Rescue Squad. Had a young black woman die on us from an embolism caused by childbirth. Same thing killed my mother.

Wouldn't 'young women ' suffice ?

If she'd been handicapped, would referring to her as a "young handicapped woman" bother you? Or as "a young Japanese woman" if she were a Japanese woman? I assume that "young" doesn't bother you. Why not?

By what logic, standard, or principle is referring to a black as a black somehow objectionable? Not mentioning that fact doesn't eliminate that fact.

Or are you just intent on showing everybody how prissily fastidious you are � and expect everybody else to be?

Racism is generally defined as actions, practices or beliefs, or social or political systems that are based in views that see the human species to be divided into races with shared traits, abilities, or qualities, such as personality, intellect, morality, or other cultural behavioral characteristics, and especially the belief that races can be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to others, or that members of different races should be treated differently.[1][2]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Didn't see her jump, but was we were within 200 yards, saw a lady running down the median of the street with a maglight, she jumped out into traffic just ahead of me and the family...I hit the brakes and said WTF loud enough to wake up the wife, the kids (all under 3)....got home in time to see breaking news about some lady with a maglight jumping off an overpass.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
she jumped off of an overpass, a car hit her on the way down, and then caught half of an 18 wheeler.........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a 16 year old kid bleed to death in front of me. Literally right in front of me as I climbed into the car he was in that had been t-boned. There was nothing that could have been done to save him but I will never forget it

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My uncle flew B-17's in WWII. He said he would never walk to the back of the plane after he came back from a mission, too many rear and belly gunners all shot up. He also told of how the ground crew would try to get aboard an aircraft when they were working on it as they got hazardous pay whenever they were off the ground.

That was fine until they crashed one of the B-17's with the ground crew aboard killing them. After that the ground crew was not allowed to fly in the aircraft anymore, they were considered too valuable.

My uncle always wondered what his value was during the war after that as they weren't afraid to send him up with one of those birds...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 163bc, 10ring1, 76 invisible), 2,827 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,734
Posts18,494,871
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.