Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Friend, you need to try on some shochu/soju; get into character and all, wot? Kinda 'nasty stuff at first blush, but you'll likely get used to it some. Prolly. wink

Safe trip, sir. You going to be in some far off, inaccessible spot, or near Seoul? If the latter and are still around in a few months, maybe we can get together and share some grub. I'll try the BBQd pooch if you go first. Maybe. Assuming I'll be totally blotto, of course...

wink

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by EdM
Ya ain't lived until you've spent winter on the edge of the north Caspian Sea among the folks that are essentially the first generation becoming mobile. crazy

Though a bit better, when it was bad in Alberta, well, it was bad.

Sat a a dock in Calgary one morning when it was about 20F and so much fog I could not see the back of my trailer. When the had me loaded and the customs all figured out I headed south on Hwy 2. It was ice covering everything. Trucks, 4X4 pickups, SUVs and cars all over the shoulders and and upside down. Drives slipping even with axles locked and differentials locked. Trailer trying it best to pass me. The further south I got the better the roads got. Road was looking almost dry when I came to Hwy 3 and turned west to cross the Crowsnest the mountains were gone in a solid gray cloud of snow. Road turned white and I did not see a black road until the next day when I hit I-90 after spending the night in Bonner's Ferry. But black roads did not make things any better. The picture of my antenna icing up was taken on I 90 just west of Spokane. That was a fun trip.

That is a beautiful drive and one we did many times when we lived in Calgary and headed to our place in Sandpoint. Only once did we have to spend a night in Sparwood on return from ISandpoint to Calgary due to a multi-fatality accident over the pass. Many "squirrelly" bits along the way though.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
[quote=kamo_gari]Friend, you need to try on some shochu/soju; get into character and all, wot? Kinda 'nasty stuff at first blush, but you'll likely get used to it some. Prolly. wink

Safe trip, sir. You going to be in some far off, inaccessible spot, or near Seoul? If the latter and are still around in a few months, maybe we can get together and share some grub. I'll try the BBQd pooch if you go first. Maybe. Assuming I'll be totally blotto, of course...

I will be in Geoje, off the south, an island of about 200k people. Upon first visit a few weeks ago it appears to be a "nice" little town. I have spent a fair bit of time down there in the past buying refinery equipment. Actually pioneering it some in 2000 when the US O&G industry was terrified to buy the hairy chit we buy from "them". "Them" delivered the goods and cost me less grief than the US companies I was buying from and, in particular unfortunately, the Texas based firms that woefully under delivered. Maybe bad timing, maybe not. The local firms were not delivering chit so I went overseas. A nemesis... grin Most of my time was spent in Ulsan. And yes, bulgogi shared with "shots" in other's glass of soju was the norm. In my trips to Japan, China and Korea clearly Korea was the "most" western. I just received an invite "To Meet Ed" at a "legendary" local place with my inherited team. Another adventure will begin. As usual, my American friends and family outside immediate think I am nuts. On the contrary, I dig this chitt. I am here living just once, so what's it gonna be?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by EdM
I just received an invite "To Meet Ed" at a "legendary" local place with my inherited team. Another adventure will begin.

A perfect opportunity to go full Ugly American. You lucky dog, you. Rock the house! wink

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Ya know, last night I finished with my team here over beer at a pub in the Brisbane CBD and it was a near tear jerker for me. They put together a few gifts, a couple of which that just knocked me over. A tribute that I was just overwhelmed by, not really realizing what I meant to them? I head over next week and just hope that I can achieve the same and realize that it is happening this time...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Originally Posted by navlav8r
It wasn't the 1-3" of snow that was causing the problems....it was the ICE underneath around here and the fact that businesses, schools, etc. all cut people loose at the same time. I don't know anyone that can drive on ice in hilly areas unless they have chains.

Yeah, but you see, we all should have known that there was going to be ice covering all the roads. The News in South Dakota said so.... grin

we finally see eye to eye! wink

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Buzz

[Linked Image]

N-S-E-W, that scene would halt about any travels. In our neck of the woods, that sort of ice would be a pretty rare occasion due to the excessive road salting that happens here. We'd still get the hard chargers in full-size pickups and SUV's driving the speed limit and over. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eh76
[quote=TnBigBore]If we were to err on the side of caution we would be lampooned by you very same people for not going in to work/school over a couple of inches of snow. This is just another excuse to make fun of us poor dumb Southerners. Normally I would not care, but this is the time that put me over the top.

Wrong and that's horseschit! I've seen the same situation in El Paso, TX or how about when Las Vegas. NM got dumped on several years ago to the tune of 3 or 4 ft. Heck they had to close I25 there.

[

Anyone who thinks that El Paso, TX or Las Vegas, NM is in "The South" has not spent much time down here. What the heck does that have to do with anything anyway?

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I didn't read all this BUT; too many people, too much sprawl, and I don't care what you are drdiving, you cannot go cross country, and someone else may take you out while you are sitting there waiting your turn. People in some places just don't have the experience to deal with ice rinks, high wind, steep grades, and unusual cold. The days when we could just hunker down by the stove unless we had to milk the cows are long gone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think he means they aren't used to or prepared for snow either.
they just didn't bitch when it came.

FYI, all your icy roads originated with snow. when it gets compacted it warms slightly and turns to water that then refreezes. lots of people driving makes it into snow.
why are all those people driving on snow if it isn't safe?
well I'm glad you asked! because they don't know any better and didn't heed the warnings that were in national news for days before hand. I know, I know. crazy talk it was and should have been ignored. and when it comes as bad or worse than predicted, if I were there, I would be embarrassed (no pun intended)with getting caught with my pants down. in the states that get regular snow, here's how they deal with it - no driving unless absolutely necessary, stay home if possible, heed weather reports and above all, SLOW DOWN and drive with CAUTION. all are concepts that apparently most "southerners" can't comprehend.
if you are one who can, I commend you. if what I just said made you furious, well then you are in the majority, congrats!

FYI Las Vegas NM is the same latitude as Tennessee, el paso is way more south than that.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

FYI, all your icy roads originated with snow. when it gets compacted it warms slightly and turns to water that then refreezes. lots of people driving makes it into snow.
well I'm glad you asked! because they don't know any better and didn't heed the warnings that were in national news for days before hand. I know, I know. crazy talk it was and should have been ignored. and when it comes as bad or worse than predicted, if I were there, I would be embarrassed (no pun intended)with getting caught with my pants down. in the states that get regular snow, here's how they deal with it - no driving unless absolutely necessary, stay home if possible, heed weather reports and above all, SLOW DOWN and drive with CAUTION. all are concepts that apparently most "southerners" can't comprehend.
if you are one who can, I commend you. if what I just said made you furious, well then you are in the majority, congrats!

FYI Las Vegas NM is the same latitude as Tennessee, el paso is way more south than that.

There are some first rate pieces of work on this site that I was unaware of until this thread started. Please learn the difference between the South, the Southwest, the Midwest, etc.

I was not complaining or bitching about the recent weather event down here. I know how to drive in the snow. I can even manage in ice if the roads are not blocked by jackknifed 18wheelers. I was able to navigate through the ice covered streets and got home, but with great difficulty. Most Southerners over 40 years of age have driven in at least a half dozen snow storms in their lifetime. We are not complete idiots. What pisses us off is the condescending attitude of know-it-all asshats from a thousand miles away who are so certain they would have been smart enough to have avoided this. In the future if you happen to be caught by some flood, forest fire, drought, tornado or other weather event that was not forecast precisely, please remember your sanctimonious attitude here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
firstly, thank you for calling me first rate! smile did you see my previous post? we got caught BIG time last october, we just didn't bitch about it. look up winter storm "Atlas" we couldn't avoid it, but we made it through by hunkering down and surviving, when it cleared, we pulled ourselves up and started digging out.

I forget how the "civil war south" is it's own strange mysterious land that has mystical powers, like ice that just forms on roads. or no weather stations work locally.
I just hope we don't have to listen to whining about this one for the next 150 or so years too. smile

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N

All the weather folks around here and in Atlanta were saying the weather event was going
to be further south so what preparation there was (granted, not much) was focused there. Also it started out as freezing rain, then sleet and then snow on top. It wasn't refreezing of snow that had been driven on that made the layer of ice.

There are plenty of knuckleheads to go around here too. On my way home I saw an SUV on its roof in the median and several cars in the ditch within a mile or so of my house. Going just a "leeeetle bit too fast".

Oh, my boss is from Philadelphia and he was pretty miffed that he was being told by the base CO to let everyone go " just because of a little snow!"

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
firstly, thank you for calling me first rate! smile did you see my previous post? we got caught BIG time last october, we just didn't bitch about it. look up winter storm "Atlas" we couldn't avoid it, but we made it through by hunkering down and surviving, when it cleared, we pulled ourselves up and started digging out.

I forget how the "civil war south" is it's own strange mysterious land that has mystical powers, like ice that just forms on roads. or no weather stations work locally.
I just hope we don't have to listen to whining about this one for the next 150 or so years too. smile

I don't think you will find any Southerners on this thread bitching about the snow. You may have forgotten that this thread was started by disparaging Southerners as weather wimps. Let's say a thread was started by a New Englander or Southerner insinuating that the Coloradans that got swept away in the flash floods this past summer should have known what was coming. After all, rain was in the forecast.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I grew up in the south and every year there was winter. I have seen tornadoes, snow, buckets of rain, ice storms, and drought in the south. These storms happen every year in some part of the south. You think people would learn from last winter their 2 wheel drive is a piece of crap on ice. They even show these storms on the news and what happened to people. Unfortunately people don't learn. We already know 52% of the people in the USA are stupid and want the government to take care of them. People just don't learn from these storms or from year to year. Part of the year will most always be winter.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 02/01/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah, I see, you guys think that there's a lot of whining and bitching about the snow going on here?

That's funny.

It really isn't even coming up in conversation much.

What you are seeing is the news media doing what it does and sensationalizing everything.

I know of one ER doc that got stuck in that gridlock on his way to the hospital, he got out, walked the 6 miles, and saved some lives. No, bitching, just going about business.

The media on the other hand is making things a bigger ordeal than they really are.

I haven't seen any calls for FEMA or anything....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The media making things bigger than they are is what they do, and people take their cues from them instead of taking the time to use some common sense. Unfortunately, the media weather people are the worst at this.

Last edited by 5sdad; 02/01/14.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I grew up in the south and every year there was winter. I have seen tornadoes, snow, buckets of rain, ice storms, and drought in the south. These storms happen every year in some part of the south. You think people would learn from last winter their 2 wheel drive is a piece of crap on ice. They even show these storms on the news and what happened to people. Unfortunately people don't learn. We already know 52% of the people in the USA are stupid and want the government to take care of them. People just don't learn from these storms or from year to year. Part of the year will most always be winter.

Yeah, that never happens there and SUV's make alllllll the difference.....

TF

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
The media making things bigger than they are is what they do, and people take their cues from them instead of taking the time to use some common sense. Unfortunately, the media weather people are the worst at this.

Very true....

I think it's funny. Notice how all the reports are out of Metropolitan areas and not from outside of the cities. You'd think that just Birmingham and Atlanta got any winter this year....

So, lets take places that already deal with poor traffic conditions on a good day and through in a little ice and see what happens....

The same exact thing that happens in Cities in the North.

Only difference is that since that combination doesn't happen much in the South, it's news worthy, and since it's news worthy, it needs to be made to be EPIC!

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
now that I can completely see!
The only thing we see on the news here are the poor SOBs on the news complaining how they can't make it to KFC or whatever food place and they had no hot water for 2 days. waaaawaaaa. and the "we never saw it coming" BS. come on, it made the weather report out here, and no doubt it was worse than anyone had thought.
I think it's the over dramatization in the media that's making ya'll look bad. that on top of the bad drivers in metro areas when snow is involved, hell anytime. everyone is in such a rush and the rest of the world is an inconvenience. I don't miss the days of 7 lanes of traffic wall to wall on my morning commute.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1100mag, 66 invisible), 14,686 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,217
Posts18,543,734
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.