Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8535327 02/01/14
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I'm looking into getting a new a new 1911, I have a Springfield " gi " model right now but I'm wanting to upgrade. My budget is around $1000 I'm not going to buy it tomorrow just want some recommendation to think about. I'm looking at Springfield, S&W, Sig, and maybe Ruger. Kimber is out because I've heard they tend to jam a lot . The local gun shop guy showed me a Loaded stainless Springfield and I liked the look and feel of it.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kimber is out because I've heard they tend to jam a lot

Sexual intellectual

"The liberals preach tolerance and diversity until presented with an opinion other than their own."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Springfield Range officer would be the next step up.

Next would be a deal on a used Springfield TRP if you could find one for around $1000-1100.

That's about it unless you want to spend more or have a custom job done on the GI you all ready have.

The other $800-1000 1911's on the market like the kimbers and rugers are not really an upgrade over your GI.

Last edited by Timberbuck; 02/01/14.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Why not just trick yours out?

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I would ask what are you looking for in an upgrade ? Better trigger and sights ? I'd upgrade the GI. Much better accuracy ? Then you might want a match model.
BTW, I've known lots of Kimbers including the Custom Target I own. The only time mine has failed to feed is when I insisted on feeding it lead, SWC handloads made from old, beat up brass.
Any factory made 1911 can have problems right out of the box. But these things often only reguire a trip to the maker to fix.
The other thing is that ammo loaded for the various 1911's can be the cause of the problem. Some of the older 10911's won't feed lead, SWC reloads or even jacketed SWC factory ammo.
If it were mine to choose, I'd go with a Smith & Wesson. The ones I've shot were very impressive. E

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AK_ARCHER
I'm looking into getting a new a new 1911, I have a Springfield " gi " model right now but I'm wanting to upgrade. My budget is around $1000 I'm not going to buy it tomorrow just want some recommendation to think about. I'm looking at Springfield, S&W, Sig, and maybe Ruger. Kimber is out because I've heard they tend to jam a lot . The local gun shop guy showed me a Loaded stainless Springfield and I liked the look and feel of it.

The Springfield loaded is a very good one.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I would ask what are you looking for in an upgrade ? Better trigger and sights ? I'd upgrade the GI. Much better accuracy ? Then you might want a match model.
BTW, I've known lots of Kimbers including the Custom Target I own. The only time mine has failed to feed is when I insisted on feeding it lead, SWC handloads made from old, beat up brass.
Any factory made 1911 can have problems right out of the box. But these things often only reguire a trip to the maker to fix.
The other thing is that ammo loaded for the various 1911's can be the cause of the problem. Some of the older 10911's won't feed lead, SWC reloads or even jacketed SWC factory ammo.
If it were mine to choose, I'd go with a Smith & Wesson. The ones I've shot were very impressive. E

Better sights, barrel, trigger, finish, fit, overall better everything .

I don't think I will do anything to my current 1911 .

One buddy had a kimber raptor that would jam at least once every mag, he tried a few things but still kept jamming , another buddy has a 4'' kimber does the same stuff, the guy at the gun shop has seen multiple kimbers with the same stuff, so no kimbers for me.

And I did really like the loaded Springfield .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AK_ARCHER
The local gun shop guy showed me a Loaded stainless Springfield and I liked the look and feel of it.

The SA Loaded is what I'd buy for a basic off the shelf gun, not necessarily stainless, unless that's what you really like.

Get the model with fixed, night sights for around $875'ish.

MM

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
What are the main difference's between the RO and the LOADED Springfield ?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a Sig Scorpion And love it. Even with the rail it points and balances well. Is very accurate, hasn't malfunctioned in the 7-800 rounds if run through it. Holster availability was difficult but was able to find quite a few makers

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess it would help if we knew what you were going to use another 1911 for. CCW? Plinking? Competition? The Springfield RO is built with competition in mind. Personally, I'd get the Springfield "Loaded" in blue or stainless, whichever you preferred. There's a reason a lot of Pro pistolsmiths start with the Springfield guns.

Deus Juvat

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by 270winchester
I guess it would help if we knew what you were going to use another 1911 for. CCW? Plinking? Competition? The Springfield RO is built with competition in mind. Personally, I'd get the Springfield "Loaded" in blue or stainless, whichever you preferred. There's a reason a lot of Pro pistolsmiths start with the Springfield guns.

I would call it a fun gun, just to shoot and have fun. The only carry it would be used for is open carry in the woods or on a ATV, but I like my 44 mag SBH in bear country better.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Springfield Loaded Model. Best bang for your $$$

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for the loaded all though the RO model is really all you need.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I must be luck I have never had a single issue with my Kimber

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I would not pass up a Colt.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Me either. My Custom Shop Super Carry Pro Lightweight Commander & my 10mm Match Elite have NEVER failed to feed or fire with ANY kind of factory ammo or reloads.
Lots of Kimber Haters out there. Haters gonna Hate.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 02/01/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I guess that I'm the only one had has good luck with Kimbers,

this one is a commander sized unit, pro carry.
[Linked Image]

Alloy frame, stainless slide, set up with a clip draw so I

can just clip it on my drawers and go. That was good

enough for Skeeter and it still works great.

I have two loads for it, 200 Gr. LSWC, and 200 Gr.
XTP's, both over 4.5 Gr's of Trail Boss, lead for practice
and XTP's for carry. They both shoot to the same place, I can load the Mag with some of each and there is no difference.

I have 500 or 600 rounds through it and it functions perfectly.

The only thing I did to it other than the clip draw was to replace the rubber grips with a nice set of Ebony ones.

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Me either. My Custom Shop Super Carry Pro Lightweight Commander & my 10mm Match Elite have NEVER failed to feed or fire with ANY kind of factory ammo or reloads.
Lots of Kimber Haters out there. Haters gonna Hate.
[b][/b]

Not a hater, I have a Kimber Talkeetna .375 H&H that I'm very fond of I just base what I'm thinking off what people I know have experienced and what my local gun smith told me. And I've not herd a bad word about Springfield so that's what I'm going on.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
When I was looking for a 1911 to put a .460 Rowland in, Clark Custom Guns recommended Springfield.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,464 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,609
Posts18,492,450
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.