-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTW: I can be one of those '10 min' guys. I almost always shoot to confirm zero just before I go hunting anywhere that involves a drive. I've shown up at the range and literally fired 3 shots, picked up my target and left. Takes longer to unpack than to shoot.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If my deer rifle/load combo allows me to keep my shots on a pie plate when shooting offhand at 100yds, it's good enough. Varmint rifles and rifles destined to never make it from the bench to the deer woods, then MOA, give or take, is good enough. Smallbore CF's and .22's intended for the squirrel woods had best group into 1/2-5/8" at 50yds. or they don't make many trips into those woods.

A sub-MOA high power is a wonderful thing, and a joy forever, but if the rifle's ergonomics are such that I have difficulty hitting animals with it when shooting from field positions, then its inherent accuracy is meaningless. The same thing can be said in that super accuracy in a rifle is meaningless if the dub shooting it can't hit a bull in the ass with a scoop shovel.

You sound like a guy from Maryland.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I never was one to linger myself. I'm happy to paste the LRF on sumptin',jump MPAJ and bank the reaffirmations of POA/POI intersections in seconds. Nothin' is warmer/fuzzier.

Tryin' to rig up an Anschutz 54 now,with a comb mounted videocamera,for stupid [bleep] and their Pie Plates. It's gonna be GOOD!(grin)

This schit is always a hoot.

(Addendum: for DD)

"Brisk" at 1100,is when you cain't keep a 162 launched at 3100fps+ on the 5 Mil windage reticle.

Stuff that plugs the National News daily,in regards to "weather"...is what we in these parts simply call "Tuesday".(grin)

The nice thing about Life along the Milford,is all the terrain is flat and the vegetation minimal,so the wind(s) don't really affect much.

[Linked Image]

So you never gotta contend them consequences,that others is routinely fraught with.

[Linked Image]

The toughest thing about these arrid conditions,is getting a read on the wind's direction.

[Linked Image]

It's a bitch.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didn't shoot much past 1100yds,as the winds were brisk...

OK, I'll bite. What you call 'brisk'? I know it's relative and all. Even down here wind is variable. 5-10, 90-130, it changes with the season.

Was at a match a few years back in WY and they called the match one day because the 4x8' OSB target backers were blowing away. I muttered something about 'wussies' and they didn't argue the point.

[Linked Image]

Don't know why but that amuses me.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I am never satisfied. The rifle or the girl can always do better.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Yeah, that's sorta what I was alluding to. The .22 SS is sub minute of pig brain at 20 yards; +\- 20 yards. Other stuff is minute of boiler room or fly at longer distances. I usually remember to grab the right one, depending on the mayhem menu du jour.

ya'll gotta be careful takin advice from a rotary-wing driver, though ... they's more coordinated than the rest of us whistle

I dunno 'bout that. My left foot and right seldom know what the other is doing. Even at night in a speakeasy.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bbear
In your hunting rifles, what do you consider 'acceptable' accuracy?

I was at the range this past Saturday and a guy came out, set up and shot 4 rounds and left. I heard him comment that 'that's what I was looking for' before he left. He wasn't there for 10 minutes.

I went down and looked at his target and he had a 3.5" group at 100 yards.

Got me to wondering what others thought made for an accurate round in your rifle?

You must be a rifle looney! 3.5 MOA is quite acceptable to the majority of the shooting public. 3.5MOA is actually quite good and for him to shoot 4 rounds is pretty exceptional. A Budweiser 6 pack carton at 25 yards is what I use. I figure if I can hit that I am good to go.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Yeah, that's sorta what I was alluding to. The .22 SS is sub minute of pig brain at 20 yards; +\- 20 yards. Other stuff is minute of boiler room or fly at longer distances. I usually remember to grab the right one, depending on the mayhem menu du jour.

ya'll gotta be careful takin advice from a rotary-wing driver, though ... they's more coordinated than the rest of us whistle

I dunno 'bout that. My left foot and right seldom know what the other is doing. Even at night in a speakeasy.

you use your feet to drive those flying death traps? grin

some of us, who havent ever driven anything racier than a cessna, are just jealous ...

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Geesh! Whaddya think makes them blades go round? Beer farts?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're a psychic too? Ho Li Chit!

I am..........disturbed.

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
You're a psychic too? Ho Li Chit!

wink

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My goal is consistently MOA or better with me behind the trigger. I generally tinker till "better". I don't have a bench per se. Usually working off the hood of my truck, a convenient round bale, or back pack. Figure if I can consistently group MOA with "me" shooting, the rifle and load will not be the issue.

Have never shot at game in KY over 200 yards. So 100 yard groups are GTG here. Practiced out to 550 for Colorado. At 550, dialing drop is not a big issue. However, doping wind can be a ROYAL pain...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the picture of my target at 200 yds fired from my Kimber 308. It did not show in my post above.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Bbear
In your hunting rifles, what do you consider 'acceptable' accuracy?
Acceptable accuracy varies depending on the arm and the intended use. All three shot groups.
Slug shotgun on deer-max range 100yards-4 MOA.
Iron sighted rifle on deer-max range 200 yards-3 MOA.
Scoped big game rifle-max starting range 300 yards-2 MOA.
Scoped bolt varmint rifle-max range 300 yards-1.5 MOA.
Scoped .22rimfire-max range 125 yds 1.5" groups at 75 yds.
Iron sighted .22 rimfire-max range 100yards-1.5" groups at 50 yards.

I was at the range this past Saturday and a guy came out, set up and shot 4 rounds and left. I heard him comment that 'that's what I was looking for' before he left. He wasn't there for 10 minutes.
I went down and looked at his target and he had a 3.5" group at 100 yards.
On sight in days at our range, I would be really happy if some of the .30-30 and SKS guys could manage that. I killed several deer with a .25-35 that averaged about that before I got all educated.

Got me to wondering what others thought made for an accurate round in your rifle?

An accurate round in my main rifles?
I try to cut the acceptable numbers above in half at a minimum. They don't all make it but some do really well. A couple are .5 MOA.
If the firearm meets my minimal criteria for bench accuracy I put more emphasis on how I shoot the rifle from field positions than I do bench groups.My .338 does the best at this. I couldn't say why.

One of my simple games is to shoot five shots going from offhand, to kneeling to sitting to prone and back to offhand. If I can keep all five in a 4" circle at 100 yards I feel good to go.
I don't rush but I don't dilly dally either. Two minutes is about as long as I take to do it and I prefer one minute.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shot the top off a squill's head once. With a 12 bore and #6 shot. Is that a good group?

I am..........disturbed.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Dumb [bleep] Don,

Multi-year old paper is just [bleep] AWESOME! Laffin'!

How's 'bout a picture of a Montucky victim? Or better yet,just a pic of you with a Montucky in your mitts,with your crossed-eyes and all your regal splendor?!?

Bless your Day Dreaming Do Nothing heart.

Wow...as per ALWAYS.

Laffin'!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If my deer rifle/load combo allows me to keep my shots on a pie plate when shooting offhand at 100yds, it's good enough. Varmint rifles and rifles destined to never make it from the bench to the deer woods, then MOA, give or take, is good enough. Smallbore CF's and .22's intended for the squirrel woods had best group into 1/2-5/8" at 50yds. or they don't make many trips into those woods.

A sub-MOA high power is a wonderful thing, and a joy forever, but if the rifle's ergonomics are such that I have difficulty hitting animals with it when shooting from field positions, then its inherent accuracy is meaningless. The same thing can be said in that super accuracy in a rifle is meaningless if the dub shooting it can't hit a bull in the ass with a scoop shovel.

You sound like a guy from Maryland.

Travis

Yep. Note I said when shooting offhand, re: pie plates.

We don't have elk, moose, goats, sheep, or antelope that require long range precision shooting with super accurate rifles and state of the art optics. Bench shooting for fun- wringing out a rifle, experimenting with different loads, etc. is all very satisfying- and I like to participate in that as much as anybody. The point I made in my first post was all that doesn't mean diddly squat when the gunner takes that rifle off the bench and shoots it unsupported, and can't hit anything- hence the comment about being able to hit a pie plate at 100 yds. (I don't know about y'all but my pie plates are around 5" in diameter.) How many guys do you know, present company excluded, who can take their bolt action WhizJet sub-MOA rifle weighing 8 or 9 pounds with scope, stand on their hind legs and put 5 shots into said pie plate? Not very darned many in my experience of watching people at rifle ranges. Is that rifle the very best for them for hunting, or do they need to practice more, or do they need to re-think their approach to what constitutes a practical rifle for the venue they're using it in?

The guy who can hit a relatively large target (such as a 5" paper plate) offhand with each shot has more respect from me than a guy who can put 5 into an inch at 200 yards off a bench but can't use that rifle to hit anything offhand. Broadcasting tiny groups only tells me that it's an accurate rifle and the guy shooting it off the bench is good at just that. It doesn't tell me he's a "rifleman" or not.

Self appointed 'experts' who routinely shoot at extremely long ranges, and do it well, are welcome to their opinions. More power to them- whatever trips their trigger. Those of us whose shooting ranges are restricted by space and whose hunting opportunities are limited to close range woods hunting have a different take on what constitutes acceptable accuracy in a hunting rifle. When said 'experts' flaunt their abilities, belittle people with different needs, and ignore (or misinterpret, or make light of) different opinions, they're simply showing their ignorance, or lack of education, or poor upbringing. Sad that they abound on the internet. They probably don't get much opportunity to show their true colors in real life.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find the obsession with owning an extremely accurate rifle rather amusing ,mostly because Ive "been there" and used to be similarly obsessed until experience showed me that about 90% of the problem involved was not shooting and hitting game once it was located, but in locating the game and getting into a semi reasonable range and having the opportunity to make a shot at the vitals of at least a slowly walking or preferably stationary target.
Now I'm not opposed to taking a shot at a slowly walking elk or deer if the conditions make me reasonably sure I can accurately place the shot, but where Ive hunted for decades trees, brush and terrain tend to limit your options and ranges.
yeah! making the shots far down the list of issues , finding the game and getting into position to make the shots usually a far more difficult proposition than squeezing off an accurate shot once your into position.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thing is, making your rifle (and yourself) as accurate as can be is not rocket science, and it's something you can do in the off-season. Not only can do, but should do. Finding the game and getting into position for a shot is not rocket science either, but you can't do it in the off-season.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by 340mag
... finding the game and getting into position to make the shots usually a far more difficult proposition than squeezing off an accurate shot once your into position...

Originally Posted by smokepole
Thing is, making your rifle (and yourself) as accurate as can be is not rocket science, and it's something you can do in the off-season. Not only can do, but should do. Finding the game and getting into position for a shot is not rocket science either, but you can't do it in the off-season.

Agree with both of these...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10Glocks, 338reddog, 375sunrise, 35, 35WhelenNut, 264mag, 15 invisible), 924 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,894
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.