Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I watched it yesterday and then waited for it to pop up here. All the video I saw showed the fireman getting out in handcuffs. But let's not let a lack of information get in the way of a good effigy burning or anything, lol.

If we waited for all the facts here there wouldn't be anytjing for half the folks to post about.

But i can say that around here our FD personnel are invaluable at MVas. Whether needed or not. We are very rural and they are the ones on scene by a good margin 99 % of the time. Usually always an EMT and FR and many times multiple of those, as well as trained rescue personnel who really know there stuff. Also. We don't have paid FD around here they are all Volleys. We do have three Paid ALS services. In the County, but they will be atleast 15 minutes out most of the time further.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll bet the CHP guy is fairly new on the job and gets a really cool call sign after this is all said and done.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by rost495
according to bits I"ve read about this the last few days, CHP controls everything on the highway, unlike here in TX.

It is the same in Texas. It rarely becomes an issue though. Normally these thing occur when somebody has tunnel vision in regards to saving a life, while the other is trying to save a thousand others. Conflict is inevitable. Chalk it up to being in the trouble business.

Yet as of last sept 1 I think, LEO might "control" the scene, but even me as a peon vol firefighter can shut ANY road down in Texas if I deem it needed.

Good thing though like most mention, we all get along, though a few of the DPS guys are ansy to get the roads open. If they say anything, I just say you open the road right now and we leave the scene as is. Its not safe to open it for us or the patients. They usually back down at that point, knowing if we leave they will be there who knows how much longer waiting on another fire dept to be paged out and arrive....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The obvious solution is to not have the FD respond to crashes unless something's on fire or somebody needs to be cut out of the car. On 98% of the crashes I've seen firefighters respond to they weren't even needed.

With our EMS now taking extrication classes, and thinking that they are badazz with a halligan tool.... we don't get called to many wrecks.

Unfortunately we generally don't get paged until someone else, LEO or EMS is on scene and realizes there is a pin in. Fire we generally hear that right away from the first to call 911.

But I could imagine if FD gets paged to every wreck, they typically are not needed is very true. I'm thankful in a way we don't get paged like that.

OTOH I have the urge to tell EMS, that I get along with very well, sometimes they need to chill, if they'd have paged us along the time they were paged, we could have been working 20 minutes sooner....

I personally have no qualms about a page and get told half way to town to disregard... works out well for me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Cant watch the vid from my Kindle, but I'm going to wager a young LEO is involved. Probably a young smoke-eater too.

FD is, technically, in control of the scene. If it's obviously criminal, they're quick to defer to PD..........otherwise we're quite willing to let 'em have it. I do my job, they do theirs. Of course, we have a great (read that ball-busting) relationship with our FD

As far ad the roads go, I'm quick to close one until I'm damn sure I have the manpower, generally via FD, to open safely. Of course the Fire Chief always gets asked as a courtesy (and so I can throw him under the bus later grin)

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner
If its my accident, I can't imagine wanting a cop there.

What are they gonna do? Write some tickets for seat belt infractions?

I'll take fire and medics. They can control the scene, traffic, medical care, and witnesses. If police are needed, they can be called.

I got news for ya' bro, cops do not like going to fires, suicides and accidents. Unfortunately, it's part of the job description, like that "keeping the peace" BS.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Did anybody even watch the video? There was nothing there to indicate that the trooper didn't do the right thing.

Yep, said that earlier. I think.

Its kinda indicting too, that the FF is kinda grinning and making sure he is taped. Makes me suspiciuos at the least.

Always nice to not make the decision until all the facts are known. And I'm dumb enough to run towards flames.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NH K9
Cant watch the vid from my Kindle, but I'm going to wager a young LEO is involved. Probably a young smoke-eater too.

FD is, technically, in control of the scene. If it's obviously criminal, they're quick to defer to PD..........otherwise we're quite willing to let 'em have it. I do my job, they do theirs. Of course, we have a great (read that ball-busting) relationship with our FD

As far ad the roads go, I'm quick to close one until I'm damn sure I have the manpower, generally via FD, to open safely. Of course the Fire Chief always gets asked as a courtesy (and so I can throw him under the bus later grin)

George

Don't bother. There's nothing on the video but a fireman talking a lot to the camera and a road soldier telling him he's being arrested for refusing to move a vehicle.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And I'm dumb enough to run towards flames.....

That's why you're hero. I wouldn't do a fireman's job for anything.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The obvious solution is to not have the FD respond to crashes unless something's on fire or somebody needs to be cut out of the car. On 98% of the crashes I've seen firefighters respond to they weren't even needed.

With our EMS now taking extrication classes, and thinking that they are badazz with a halligan tool.... we don't get called to many wrecks.

Unfortunately we generally don't get paged until someone else, LEO or EMS is on scene and realizes there is a pin in. Fire we generally hear that right away from the first to call 911.

But I could imagine if FD gets paged to every wreck, they typically are not needed is very true. I'm thankful in a way we don't get paged like that.

OTOH I have the urge to tell EMS, that I get along with very well, sometimes they need to chill, if they'd have paged us along the time they were paged, we could have been working 20 minutes sooner....

I personally have no qualms about a page and get told half way to town to disregard... works out well for me.

Jeff, in the urban areas Fire Departments have taken the place of private EMS services in most cases because of the non-paying citizens. Two thirds of all fire calls in the cities are med/accident calls.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Ain't that the truth. We always had a good relationship with the FD. Only issues were when some volunteer FF would almost run one of us over in route to a MVA. Also had a few FF arrested for DWI, but they were generally jerks already on the way out for their behavior.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember CHP giving a local city cop a ticket in front of about 100 of us high school kids for speeding with no lights or siren.

LEO was not a happy camper.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some of my best friends are black people and firemen.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
California! HP, that says it all!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a similar incident happen but on a big city street. I asked the fire capt to move the engine so we could get traffic going again. He said he didn't want to. I got in it and moved it myself. He just shrugged his shoulders.

On another case I arrived at a wreck where yet another Ford Explorer had rolled over (early Explorer were among the most unsafe vehicles on the road) and the passenger got crushed as she hung out the window. They firefighter (paramedic) told me that she was dead. I said "are you sure" and he said yes but we are going to transport her anyway. I asked him again if she was dead. He said yes. I told him to get out of my crime scene then (driver was DUI) He told me that he was going to get her on a gurney for transport. I told him that that the fire department didn't have any jurisdiction over dead people. I then ordered him to leave her where she was and get out of my crime scene. He just smirked at me and started to move her over. I handcuffed him and put him in the back of a patrol car.

The fire captain kinda freaked out. He called a battalion chief who came over to my and my supv and asked what had happened. I explained the whole thing to him and he couldn't believe it. He wanted to talk to the firefighter so I opened the door. The BC told him that he was stupid and arrogant and that he couldn't help him.

I was tired of them screwing up crime scenes (we referred to them as "evidence eradication crews". I felt like I had to draw a line in the sand.

I left in in the back of the car for about 15 minutes and then had another meeting with the BC and my supv. I asked him if he thought he would try something like this again? He told me that he was sure he wouldn't. I then talked to the firefighter and asked him if he realized he was wrong. He agreed that he was. I unhandcuffed him and told him that I would get back to him after I ran it past the county attorney. I made my point and he was glad to be free. Word got out, they had some training and they didn't screw up crime scenes too much after that.

Generally we got along with them pretty good. There were always a few bad eggs just like cops!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This entire thread reminds me of the old saying, "Cops get blamed for not catching the guy, before he started the fire, and firemen get thanked for saving the slab.".

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Nope, that word doesn't cover me at all. I"m just there to help when I"m available. Sometimes we can, sometimes we can't.. help.

RE Fire being EMS, I"m rural also, but we still have county run EMS.. I hope it stays that way. IMHO there is too much to learn/remember to be both a good fireman and a good EMT/A-EMT/Paramedic.
But we do run with/for them if they are tied up.

If we have to run EMS, our call level at our vol dept is close to 1 a day on average, would at least double if not triple or worse... I do not see how we could handle that load.

And I'll reverse you... I wouldn't want the LEO job for anything either. Y'all do something I wouldn't want to touch period. At least generally when we arrive there is little chance of us being shot out out of the blue so to speak.

But I suspect we both learn our jobs and do our jobs to where we are "used" to the risks a bit.

I"m REALLY thankful that we get along so well with EMS and LEO here. Everyone, including FD can have a turd!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I had a similar incident happen but on a big city street. I asked the fire capt to move the engine so we could get traffic going again. He said he didn't want to. I got in it and moved it myself. He just shrugged his shoulders.

On another case I arrived at a wreck where yet another Ford Explorer had rolled over (early Explorer were among the most unsafe vehicles on the road) and the passenger got crushed as she hung out the window. They firefighter (paramedic) told me that she was dead. I said "are you sure" and he said yes but we are going to transport her anyway. I asked him again if she was dead. He said yes. I told him to get out of my crime scene then (driver was DUI) He told me that he was going to get her on a gurney for transport. I told him that that the fire department didn't have any jurisdiction over dead people. I then ordered him to leave her where she was and get out of my crime scene. He just smirked at me and started to move her over. I handcuffed him and put him in the back of a patrol car.

The fire captain kinda freaked out. He called a battalion chief who came over to my and my supv and asked what had happened. I explained the whole thing to him and he couldn't believe it. He wanted to talk to the firefighter so I opened the door. The BC told him that he was stupid and arrogant and that he couldn't help him.

I was tired of them screwing up crime scenes (we referred to them as "evidence eradication crews". I felt like I had to draw a line in the sand.

I left in in the back of the car for about 15 minutes and then had another meeting with the BC and my supv. I asked him if he thought he would try something like this again? He told me that he was sure he wouldn't. I then talked to the firefighter and asked him if he realized he was wrong. He agreed that he was. I unhandcuffed him and told him that I would get back to him after I ran it past the county attorney. I made my point and he was glad to be free. Word got out, they had some training and they didn't screw up crime scenes too much after that.

Generally we got along with them pretty good. There were always a few bad eggs just like cops!

Dennis, I htink you did good there. Our goons can screw up too, but we try not to. The other night we cut out a fatality that EMS transported, LEO asked us not to drive over the skid marks in the gravel road as we left, easy enough. And then EMS drives right over them, goes down the road a bit, turns around and drives RIGHT over them AGAIN... of course we backed out as asked to do after they had left the scene....
And IMHO that may well be the end story to the CHP, he may have been cuffed and detained a bit, but very likely not actually arrested. Just so he learned. And as noted, we didn't see the whole thing regardless....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All firemen are gay, and don't start with that "Village People" stuff. The cop was undercover. smile

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I've ran into more vol. FF's with a chip on their shoulder and a look at me attitude than I have dickhead cops in my area.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 69 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,190
Posts18,503,409
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.