Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It's odd. If a cop shows up and shoots a dog, he should've just kicked it. If a cop shows up and kicks a dog, it's his fault that the dog gets mad(der).

The easiest thing is to just not show up. Which requires people not calling the cops every time a dog runs down the road.

That is kind of throwing the baby out with the bathwater too...

If the real problem is dangerous dogs running at large in the city and public safety is at risk, what makes a police officer qualified to deal with the situation? The short answer is: Nothing.

Cops do not get extensive training in animal control.

Police should not have to deal with animals, or the ensuing public relations nightmares from sending untrained police to a situation in which they are not trained to deal with.

The obvious solution is for city and county governments, or perhaps a cooperative dept. that serves all jurisdictions to have personnel on duty, or on call 24/7 to deal with animal control issues that affect public safety.

Anyone agree?

More government agencies is always a good solution for human nature type problems.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The dog was wagging it's tail didn't look aggresssive? All I can say is "Dog Gone".....

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Why is it always the dog?
I'd have a much better opinion of LEO's if they'd shoot a cat once in a while.
Cats that don't scramble out of the way usually get stomped to death by cops rather than shot.

For the cops here supporting the dog shooting cop, how is it that so many people whose jobs bring them into frequent contact with dogs, e.g., carpet cleaners, plumbers, dishwasher repairmen, etc., seem to be able to go through life without shooting people's dogs?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
A stupid cop. From the name, I suspect a stupid IRISH cop.

Tarek Hassani is an IRISH name? laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
More government agencies is always a good solution for human nature type problems.

Most places have some sort of animal control department.

The problem is that they are not open after hours to deal with those situations. I'm just suggesting that there is enough of an animal problem nowadays to justify training them better, and bolstering their dept. to deal with those situations more effectively so that cops don't have to do it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I watched the footage and those dogs where not trying to lick the officer.

Maybe you saw different footage than I did.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It's odd. If a cop shows up and shoots a dog, he should've just kicked it. If a cop shows up and kicks a dog, it's his fault that the dog gets mad(der).

The easiest thing is to just not show up. Which requires people not calling the cops every time a dog runs down the road.

Given that cops are under no duty to show up to a call for assistance (911 or otherwise), the cop made the choice to show up, the choice to get out of the car, the choice to kick the dog, and the choice to shoot the dog without taking any other action.

Shoot my dog, in my yard, and whether you are wearing a badge or not, you're going to get shot, as you are then a clear and present danger to me and my family while on my property without a warrant and without just cause. I don't think it will be long until that starts happening rather often in these situations.

Well...it was nice knowing you, hopefully you won't be taking your family and friends with you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane

I can't be expected to point out satire in advance to one segment [Loc: Middle West ] of our membership which takes most everything seriously .

But... I'll try to do better. grin

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I agree 100%. In a neighborhood setting you should keep your dog up. It's the dog owners fault for letting them run loose in that environment.

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART
I watched the footage and those dogs where not trying to lick the officer.

Maybe you saw different footage than I did.

I didn't have to watch the video to consider that the cop was stupid, but within his rights. The picture shows a dog in an unfenced urban setting with no leash and owner present. Once more:

An unrestrained dog is a feral dog as far as I'm concerned.

Move the encounter into the owner's fenced back yard and I'd be in favor of the owner killing the cop.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane

I can't be expected to point out satire in advance to one segment [Loc: Middle West ] of our membership which takes most everything seriously .

But... I'll try to do better. grin

These come in mighty handy for midwest simpletons:
whistle wink smirk

LOL.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't cops get any training when it come to dealing with dogs, other than just shooting them? I could have handled those dogs better, even without a firearm.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I seen something like this 2 years ago when a cop stop at my neighbors house. The owner of the house raises pit bulls and has a fenced in yard and he lets his dogs run free in his yard all day. I have never seen one of his dogs run loose. The cop for what reason went to the back of the house, have no idea why he didn't use the front door. Maybe because of the dogs barking, and of course the dogs were barking, as most dogs would. My dog would. I watched the cop pull out his gun and shoot one of the dogs. Well he got more than he expected, the other 4 dogs jumped the fence and rip this cop a new azzhole. Wish I was video taping it. Cop try to say that the dog was coming at him in a aggressive manner, so he had no choice to shoot it. The dog was in the yard behind a 4' fence so not sure how aggressive a dog can be behind a 4'fence. Most dog will bark and become some what aggressive when someone they don't know comes around. The POS chief and DA tried cleared him of the shooting, protect there own, until I learned about it from my neighbor. I was in the front yard and seen everything that happen from the time the cop came up the road till he was taken away in the meat wagon. The neighbor had the excop charge with tresspassing.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I personally would have NOT shot the dog, although I'm not a pansy that's frightened of dogs.

Just swinging a stick would have kept that dog away.

Originally Posted by mark shubert
Simple answer - keep your pets up.
No loose dogs - no problem.

Mark
Mark, the dog was on it's property when shot. My Lab has an invisible fence & can go anywhere in the yard. Of coarse if the homeowner contacted the police, they should have put them away before the pansy cop arrived.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Gleaned this one from the thread - falls exactly in-line with my thinking on this topic. I'm just hoping all the LEOs on this site take note. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If he's so afraid of a dog under those circumstances that he has to shoot it the little wuss needs to find another line of work. And then he looses control and almost pisses himself yelling at the owner.

What's next, shooting a kid at night because he had something shiny in his hand and the idiot thought he might get hurt?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Cats that don't scramble out of the way usually get stomped to death by cops rather than shot.

For the cops here supporting the dog shooting cop, how is it that so many people whose jobs bring them into frequent contact with dogs, e.g., carpet cleaners, plumbers, dishwasher repairmen, etc., seem to be able to go through life without shooting people's dogs?

The answer to your question is easy, those people do not under intense mental and physical Gestapo training.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager
Warren v. District of Columbia, 1981.
Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 2005.

Both cases clearly state that "law enforcement" has no duty to respond and no duty to protect; only to investigate and solve crimes after the fact.

Should I bother explaining that those cases deal with civil liability? Or explain that although the SCOTUS doesn't hold LE civilly liable for responding to individual calls or protecting individual citizens, they still have a duty to respond and protect?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Should I bother explaining.... "

Nope.

[but you already knew THAT] grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

The answer to your question is easy, those people do not under intense mental and physical Gestapo training.

No, the plumbers and such drive away and let the owner do his own plumbing, if a copper did that he would be crucified for not responding to the call.

Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1OntarioJim, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 59 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,878
Posts18,518,151
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.