Home
Nice cop. Bet the kid remembers the day.
http://magicvalley.com/news/local/o...e989a44-928a-11e3-b2a5-0019bb2963f4.html
What a pos officer. That dog didn't try to bite him. You shoot my dog like that in my front yard and I will be going to jail and you will be going to the hospital if not worse. He was rational at the end might have wanted to try that at the beginning. Kicking at a dog isn't going to help your cause.
Happy freak'n birthday. mad
A stupid cop. From the name, I suspect a stupid IRISH cop.

But, a dog that is not restrained in some manner is a feral dog as far as I'm concerned.

If it happened in a rural area, I'd conclude the dog WAS restrained, since he was on his owner's property. But, in town, a front yard is NOT a good confinement area, and the cop had a right to shoot him since he had been called out and was doing his job.

Looked like a dog happy to see him, until he kicked at it and got it excited. What a moron.
I'm not a cop hater, but that one should loose his job. The few bad apples who are leos are making all of them look bad. Aggressive black lab? I doubt it. I've never had one that wasn't extremely protective though if he thought someone was a threat. When the cop started kicking dogs he put the dog into protective "aggressive " mode himself. Maybe police just need to be trained better in dealing with dogs? I'm not sure but it's making them look very bad.
Must be a shortage of Irish cops. "Hassani" sounds like a towel head to me. Just what this country needs, Rag head cops. WTF.
It's another case of some town hiring a dickweasel and the dickweasel doing what comes natural to him...dickweasling. The [bleep] needs to be off the force, not so much for shooting the dog but for what occurred afterward. An out-of-control cop asking for ID at somebody's house? I don't give a flying [bleep] what protocol is either. He also needs his [bleep] fat ass kicked.
The part that gets me is after he shoots the dog and yells at the homeowner he than wants to start over. There is no starting over you shot the dog and screamed, cussed and threatened the property owner. Nice professionalism.
It's odd. If a cop shows up and shoots a dog, he should've just kicked it. If a cop shows up and kicks a dog, it's his fault that the dog gets mad(der).

The easiest thing is to just not show up. Which requires people not calling the cops every time a dog runs down the road.
Normal for this day and age. POS trigger happy cop who just wants to kill something in the line of duty to make themselves feel superior, then says I felt threatened. Lame excuse, but that's all we get for cops any more lame, trigger happy POS's.
Originally Posted by curdog4570

But, a dog that is not restrained in some manner is a feral dog as far as I'm concerned.

If it happened in a rural area, I'd conclude the dog WAS restrained, since he was on his owner's property. But, in town, a front yard is NOT a good confinement area, and the cop had a right to shoot him since he had been called out and was doing his job.

You sir, are an idiot.

If you have ever been bitten by a dog that size, you might have a different idea about what a friendly dog really is...
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It's odd. If a cop shows up and shoots a dog, he should've just kicked it. If a cop shows up and kicks a dog, it's his fault that the dog gets mad(der).

The easiest thing is to just not show up. Which requires people not calling the cops every time a dog runs down the road.

Given that cops are under no duty to show up to a call for assistance (911 or otherwise), the cop made the choice to show up, the choice to get out of the car, the choice to kick the dog, and the choice to shoot the dog without taking any other action.

Shoot my dog, in my yard, and whether you are wearing a badge or not, you're going to get shot, as you are then a clear and present danger to me and my family while on my property without a warrant and without just cause. I don't think it will be long until that starts happening rather often in these situations.
Simple answer - keep your pets up.
No loose dogs - no problem.

Mark
Originally Posted by 4ager

Given that cops are under no duty to show up to a call for assistance (911 or otherwise), the cop made the choice to show up, the choice to get out of the car, the choice to kick the dog, and the choice to shoot the dog without taking any other action.

lol....I think you should send a memo out to the cops, you just declared their job a whole lot easier.

Shoot my dog, in my yard, and whether you are wearing a badge or not, you're going to get shot, as you are then a clear and present danger to me and my family while on my property without a warrant and without just cause. I don't think it will be long until that starts happening rather often in these situations.

And the best thing for your family is for you to shoot a stranger for shooting your dog?
Why is it always the dog?
I'd have a much better opinion of LEO's if they'd shoot a cat once in a while.

That is kind of throwing the baby out with the bathwater too...

If the real problem is dangerous dogs running at large in the city and public safety is at risk, what makes a police officer qualified to deal with the situation? The short answer is: Nothing.

Cops do not get extensive training in animal control.

Police should not have to deal with animals, or the ensuing public relations nightmares from sending untrained police to a situation in which they are not trained to deal with.

The obvious solution is for city and county governments, or perhaps a cooperative dept. that serves all jurisdictions to have personnel on duty, or on call 24/7 to deal with animal control issues that affect public safety.

Anyone agree?
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer

You sir, are an idiot.

Let's just pretend I concede that point. Now.......

what do you think about the cop shooting the dog?

lol....I think you should send a memo out to the cops, you just declared their job a whole lot easier.

Warren v. District of Columbia, 1981.
Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 2005.

Both cases clearly state that "law enforcement" has no duty to respond and no duty to protect; only to investigate and solve crimes after the fact.

And the best thing for your family is for you to shoot a stranger for shooting your dog?

You're right. I should wait around until said stranger who has just committed a violent act resulting in the death of our family pet, on our property, and who is armed, actually shoots one of my family before I do something. Then again, perhaps I should just cower in fear and hope the the cops (who don't have any duty to respond or protect) actually show up at some point within the next few seconds to do what they don't have to do? I think not.

Or, given that the aggressor has something that looks like a badge (and who has not announced themselves, their intentions, or shown any warrant), perhaps I should just grovel at their "superior" feet and beg forgiveness for merely being a "subject"? Again, I think not.

Show up on my property and shoot my dog, and you will get shot. Even the UN recognizes the right to self defense and the defense of home and property; and the last time I checked, the US Constitution protected my right to keep and bear arms in defense of self and home, as well as the right to be protected from unlawful search and seizure.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

If the real problem is dangerous dogs running at large in the city and public safety is at risk, what makes a police officer qualified to deal with the situation? The short answer is: Nothing.

Police should not have to deal with animals, or the ensuing public relations nightmares from sending untrained police to a situation in which they are not trained to deal with.

The obvious solution is for city and county governments, or perhaps a cooperative dept. that serves all jurisdictions to have personnel on duty, or on call 24/7 to deal with animal control issues that affect public safety.

Anyone agree?

More government agencies is always a good solution for human nature type problems.
The dog was wagging it's tail didn't look aggresssive? All I can say is "Dog Gone".....
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Cats that don't scramble out of the way usually get stomped to death by cops rather than shot.

For the cops here supporting the dog shooting cop, how is it that so many people whose jobs bring them into frequent contact with dogs, e.g., carpet cleaners, plumbers, dishwasher repairmen, etc., seem to be able to go through life without shooting people's dogs?

Tarek Hassani is an IRISH name? laugh
More government agencies is always a good solution for human nature type problems.

Most places have some sort of animal control department.

The problem is that they are not open after hours to deal with those situations. I'm just suggesting that there is enough of an animal problem nowadays to justify training them better, and bolstering their dept. to deal with those situations more effectively so that cops don't have to do it.
I watched the footage and those dogs where not trying to lick the officer.

Maybe you saw different footage than I did.

Well...it was nice knowing you, hopefully you won't be taking your family and friends with you.
Originally Posted by SKane

I can't be expected to point out satire in advance to one segment [Loc: Middle West ] of our membership which takes most everything seriously .

But... I'll try to do better. grin
I agree 100%. In a neighborhood setting you should keep your dog up. It's the dog owners fault for letting them run loose in that environment.
Originally Posted by JSTUART
I watched the footage and those dogs where not trying to lick the officer.

Maybe you saw different footage than I did.

I didn't have to watch the video to consider that the cop was stupid, but within his rights. The picture shows a dog in an unfenced urban setting with no leash and owner present. Once more:

An unrestrained dog is a feral dog as far as I'm concerned.

Move the encounter into the owner's fenced back yard and I'd be in favor of the owner killing the cop.
Originally Posted by SKane

I can't be expected to point out satire in advance to one segment [Loc: Middle West ] of our membership which takes most everything seriously .

But... I'll try to do better. grin

These come in mighty handy for midwest simpletons:
whistle wink smirk

LOL.
Don't cops get any training when it come to dealing with dogs, other than just shooting them? I could have handled those dogs better, even without a firearm.
I seen something like this 2 years ago when a cop stop at my neighbors house. The owner of the house raises pit bulls and has a fenced in yard and he lets his dogs run free in his yard all day. I have never seen one of his dogs run loose. The cop for what reason went to the back of the house, have no idea why he didn't use the front door. Maybe because of the dogs barking, and of course the dogs were barking, as most dogs would. My dog would. I watched the cop pull out his gun and shoot one of the dogs. Well he got more than he expected, the other 4 dogs jumped the fence and rip this cop a new azzhole. Wish I was video taping it. Cop try to say that the dog was coming at him in a aggressive manner, so he had no choice to shoot it. The dog was in the yard behind a 4' fence so not sure how aggressive a dog can be behind a 4'fence. Most dog will bark and become some what aggressive when someone they don't know comes around. The POS chief and DA tried cleared him of the shooting, protect there own, until I learned about it from my neighbor. I was in the front yard and seen everything that happen from the time the cop came up the road till he was taken away in the meat wagon. The neighbor had the excop charge with tresspassing.
I personally would have NOT shot the dog, although I'm not a pansy that's frightened of dogs.

Just swinging a stick would have kept that dog away.

Originally Posted by mark shubert

Mark
Mark, the dog was on it's property when shot. My Lab has an invisible fence & can go anywhere in the yard. Of coarse if the homeowner contacted the police, they should have put them away before the pansy cop arrived.

Gleaned this one from the thread - falls exactly in-line with my thinking on this topic. I'm just hoping all the LEOs on this site take note. smile
If he's so afraid of a dog under those circumstances that he has to shoot it the little wuss needs to find another line of work. And then he looses control and almost pisses himself yelling at the owner.

What's next, shooting a kid at night because he had something shiny in his hand and the idiot thought he might get hurt?
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Cats that don't scramble out of the way usually get stomped to death by cops rather than shot.

For the cops here supporting the dog shooting cop, how is it that so many people whose jobs bring them into frequent contact with dogs, e.g., carpet cleaners, plumbers, dishwasher repairmen, etc., seem to be able to go through life without shooting people's dogs?

The answer to your question is easy, those people do not under intense mental and physical Gestapo training.

Both cases clearly state that "law enforcement" has no duty to respond and no duty to protect; only to investigate and solve crimes after the fact.

Should I bother explaining that those cases deal with civil liability? Or explain that although the SCOTUS doesn't hold LE civilly liable for responding to individual calls or protecting individual citizens, they still have a duty to respond and protect?
"Should I bother explaining.... "

Nope.

[but you already knew THAT] grin
Originally Posted by Swifty52

The answer to your question is easy, those people do not under intense mental and physical Gestapo training.

No, the plumbers and such drive away and let the owner do his own plumbing, if a copper did that he would be crucified for not responding to the call.
I could have sworn that most LEO are armed with some type of pepper spray? Is that not correct?

granted since it's a dog, it's a bit down the totem pole from the theater shooting.

but still for all the chit he gets here from some I thought TRH raised a valid point. ergo HTF do all these other folks do their jobs that have to go into other's folks yards, fuel delivery drivers, postmen etc. and NOT end up shooting folks animals?

It just makes nine kinds of sense to me, that while you might want your weapon in your shooting hand, that it might be prudent when you heard the barking to have the pepper spray in the other and give the dog a blast to see if that sent him on his merry way.

do LEO not routinely carry pepper spray now that Tazers are in such vogue?

it just seems a reasonable solution to me.
Labs yelp a lot if you don't get the lungs.
The party might have been ruined, but look at the bright side. The cop was able to go home safe and sound. smile
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
I could have sworn that most LEO are armed with some type of pepper spray? Is that not correct?

granted since it's a dog, it's a bit down the totem pole from the theater shooting.

but still for all the chit he gets here from some I thought TRH raised a valid point. ergo HTF do all these other folks do their jobs that have to go into other's folks yards, fuel delivery drivers, postmen etc. and NOT end up shooting folks animals?

It just makes nine kinds of sense to me, that while you might want your weapon in your shooting hand, that it might be prudent when you heard the barking to have the pepper spray in the other and give the dog a blast to see if that sent him on his merry way.

do LEO not routinely carry pepper spray now that Tazers are in such vogue?

it just seems a reasonable solution to me.

Pepper spray kills people. Tasers don't. There is only so much room on a belt.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Not quite correct, a young fellow here in NSW went toes up from Tasers some short time ago.
What an azzhole.
Ever hear of pepper spray?
Little man with a badge.

Not quite correct, a young fellow here in NSW went toes up from Tasers some short time ago.

Not from "just" a taser. Whatever the other malfunctions, pepper kills them way more often.
F me, I watched it again. maybe it's the translation of the waves that make it look different in the land of milk and honey.

but I saw no reason for that cop to shoot that dog.

if he was scared how hard was it to get back in his car, and have dispatch call the house and tell the folks to put up that dog?

I'm all for good LEO, they're a needed function of our society. But forgive me if you will, that was some shoddy police work imo.

granted the owner is a dumbazz as well if he's letting a dog run loose in a neighborhood like that and it's evident he was.

seems it's all to common when two dumbazzes get together and one of them is packing a gun, whether he's wearing a badge or not.
Cop has a PA system in his car. Why couldn't he just get on it and yell profanity on it to get the dog owner out and get his dogs under control. Turn on his sireen maybe if that didn't work?
There are plenty folks teaching school, selling stuff and working in industry that were poor policemen. We wash out about 10% per year.

Should I bother explaining that those cases deal with civil liability? Or explain that although the SCOTUS doesn't hold LE civilly liable for responding to individual calls or protecting individual citizens, they still have a duty to respond and protect?

Should I bother explaining that at NO point has the SCOTUS held that LEOs have any duty to respond or protect, and that those cases while dealing with civil liability on point are the binding precedent on those actions?

Probably not, as it goes against the party line. Cops have no duty to respond and no duty to protect.

wow Lt. Pat I had no idea that pepper spray was so lethal!

I'm guessing it's most often when it's deployed on an asthmatic person?

learn something new every day

speaking of which, do they ever taze animals? That'd be apt to take the starch out of Fido I reckon!
Originally Posted by wildbill59
Cop has a PA system in his car. Why couldn't he just get on it and yell profanity on it to get the dog owner out and get his dogs under control. Turn on his sireen maybe if that didn't work?

Don't know...I wasn't there. Maybe he will carry his experiences over to his next job at the factory.

No, the plumbers and such drive away and let the owner do his own plumbing, if a copper did that he would be crucified for not responding to the call.

No, he wouldn't as he has no duty to do so and department procedure indicates that officer safety is paramount over all other concerns.

If I were a plumber or a pizza delivery guy, I'd have the phone number for the people in the house and could call them and say "put up your dog" or they'd be expecting me and would've already put their dog up. And plumbers have the option of just driving away. And plumbers aren't under any pressure to be in the house "right now".

Or maybe cops are just trigger happy.

Pick the option that works best for your predetermined ideas about what happened.
There are plenty folks teaching school, selling stuff and working in industry that were poor policemen. We wash out about 10% per year.

Obviously time to up the percentage.
wow Lt. Pat I had no idea that pepper spray was so lethal!

I'm guessing it's most often when it's deployed on an asthmatic person?

learn something new every day

speaking of which, do they ever taze animals? That'd be apt to take the starch out of Fido I reckon!

Sometimes asthmatics, but often just that little "bump" that puts a doper/drunk over the edge of not breathing. Tasers work well on animals, but they are difficult targets because of the spread of the barbs.

Should I bother explaining that at NO point has the SCOTUS held that LEOs have any duty to respond or protect, and that those cases while dealing with civil liability on point are the binding precedent on those actions?

Probably not, as it goes against the party line. Cops have no duty to respond and no duty to protect.

Evidently the answer was no.

Not from "just" a taser. Whatever the other malfunctions, pepper kills them way more often.

Actually...it was from a half dozen Tasers, from the coppers that were standing over the young fellow continuously lighting him up.

But gee, the coppers said sorry so we will forgive it...won't we.
Of course if somebody posted a video of a cop running to his car from a lab and cursing on his PA, everybody here would have laughed at him for being a coward and "why didn't he just kick the dog".

Oh heck, he could have cracked a slab of tinny's and got pissed as a mute and waited until everyone had gone to bed...then gone home.

Instead the silly fool decided that he should stupidly respond to a call about unrestrained dogs on the loose.

How silly is he.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

If you have ever been bitten by a dog that size, you might have a different idea about what a friendly dog really is...

I can relate since I was attacked by a pit bull (and had to kill it), but this just sickens me. That lab was no threat to the pos officer. He kicked at it to instigate it and it did not attack. That POS needs to lose his job..
No reason to shoot the dog in that case. Yes was barking and growling, but it didn't attack. He didn't do anything to help the situation either by kicking at the dog. Could have used PA and/or siren to get owner outside, could have used pepper spray, could have kept walking to the house as he was without being attacked.

Stupid owner for letting dogs run around, but stupid actions by cop

Cop should be fired. Goes to a house for dogs running around. Shoots dog, yells at, cusses at, then threatens owner. Great job
Look at this as a training tool. No...not in dog shootin', but as a reminder of the mindset that's under the bed.

Evidently the answer was no.

You can't explain what you don't understand and what isn't correct. Cops cannot be held criminally liable for actions or inactions in the line of duty due to sovereign immunity so long as they operate even remotely within or close to departmental procedure. That includes not responding to calls in a timely fashion, or at all, if manpower isn't sufficient or if officer safety is at risk (among other things); i.e., the Warren case. That includes failing to protect even when a court order exists to provide protection (Castle Rock). The only course of actions in those cases was for an attempt at civil liability. The courts struck that in those cases.

Those, officer, are facts. And that, officer, is the explanation necessary. Cops have no duty to respond and no duty to protect. They are protected themselves under sovereign immunity and from civil liability.

Again, come onto my property with no warrant and shoot my dog and you will get shot. I don't think it will be long before that happens more frequently, which of course is what law enforcement is expecting with all the paramilitary build up, no-knock warrants, armored vehicles, and "tactical bullchit". We "civilians" (and, here's a hint: law enforcement are civilians as well; only uniformed military are non-civilians) are not subjects, and LEOs need to realize that we are also not the enemy.

I am with Shrapnel on this one, went to a house once to do a quote,person didn't answer the door but the big German Shepard showed up, nocked again and again nothing turned walked 3 steps and the shepard had me by the back of the leg mad nice puppy ya right , owner finally came to the door and got the beast to let go. If they had not showed would I hav lived???????????????????????????????????

officer could have used a tazer or baton, or called the house

BUT the primary problem is a dog owner that disregards the law ,don't give a [bleep],
WHAT happens when the dog tears up a neighbour hood child. If the owner heard the dogs barking he should have come out, Why was there a call out about an aggressive or loose dog
i'll bet you there is a Happy neighbour some where,

norm
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I can relate since I was attacked by a pit bull (and had to kill it), but this just sickens me. That lab was no threat to the pos officer. He kicked at it to instigate it and it did not attack. That POS needs to lose his job..

Good grief, and you lot whinge about the leftists being a pack of bambi-ists.
they still have a duty to respond and protect?

Taking civil liability out of the picture and absent a specific statute where do you find that?

Moot as a practicality, the citizens would be at the gate with pitchforks and torches if the cops just sat in the station (or doughnut shop wink ) and said eff it.
Look at this as a training tool. No...not in dog shootin', but as a reminder of the mindset that's under the bed.

That's no joke. Crazy thing is, the hippies here are saner than the Campfire red blooded 'Mercuns most of the time.
Hmmm...trading a misdemeanor for a capital offense. I had a talk with a teenager about that yesterday.
Originally Posted by nighthawk

Taking civil liability out of the picture and absent a specific statute where do you find that?

In the job description. Kinda like a doctor's 'sposed to do no harm, but still sticks his finger up your ass.
Look, I offered. If you don't want me to explain it, all you have to do is say so.
Hmmm...trading a misdemeanor for a capital offense. I had a talk with a teenager about that yesterday.

Clear and present danger to my life and that of my family. The alternative is to hope that the violence ceases on its own and that the aggressor doesn't shoot me or mine next.

You might be willing to take that bet; I'm not, especially when the aggressor has already shown a propensity for violence, is armed, and clearly not acting in a rational manner while showing me that he is a threat to me and mine. The badge isn't a excuse to commit crimes, nor is it a justification for violence against others. Clearly this is not a thought among some in the LEO community (the POS in the video who will quite likely not lose his job).

You need to understand that more and more you're gonna see folks like me shooting folks like you.

And by the way, I'm not the enemy....OK?
Look, I offered. If you don't want me to explain it, all you have to do is say so.

You can't explain what you don't understand. Your position is erroneous in both fact and law.

Please offer citations from SCOTUS cases that establish your position counter to Warren and Castle Rock. You won't be able to, as they don't exist.
Yeah...that's pretty much the kid's attitude also.

In the job description. Kinda like a doctor's 'sposed to do no harm, but still sticks his finger up your ass.

The job description isn't binding; legal precedent is.

Clear and present danger to my life and that of my family. The alternative is to hope that the violence ceases on its own and that the aggressor doesn't shoot me or mine next.

You might be willing to take that bet; I'm not, especially when the aggressor has already shown a propensity for violence, is armed, and clearly not acting in a rational manner while showing me that he is a threat to me and mine. The badge isn't a excuse to commit crimes, nor is it a justification for violence against others. Clearly this is not a thought among some in the LEO community (the POS in the video who will quite likely not lose his job).

So after the cops kill you or you're fried or you're in prison for forever and ever, I'm sure your family will rest easy knowing that you avenged Fido.

You can't explain what you don't understand. Your position is erroneous in both fact and law.

Please offer citations from SCOTUS cases that establish your position counter to Warren and Castle Rock. You won't be able to, as they don't exist.

So.....that's a no?
Talk to Bluedreaux...you're way to smart for me. I'll just frustrate you.

You need to understand that more and more you're gonna see folks like me shooting folks like you.

Do I need to wear orange on our next dove hunt?
That bastard worthless POS cop should be in jail!
Of course if somebody posted a video of a cop running to his car from a lab and cursing on his PA, everybody here would have laughed at him for being a coward and "why didn't he just kick the dog".

valid point there Blue, human nature it seems,

whistle most of us would have played that SB waaaaay different than Peyton Manning did shocked blush

but my fave is issac, somebody told me when he watches porn, he often refrains "I'd have really slammed it home"

not saying it ain't a tough job, you'd be hard pressed to pay me enough to do what you guys do. Pretty sure I don't have the temperament for it. I'd have probably given the dog a scooby snack and shot the owner. crazy WTF is wrong with you letting your dog run loose ya idiot?

would that violate dep't policy? eek
Talk to Bluedreaux...you're way to smart for me. I'll just frustrate you.

Good move, Blue seems like the caring sensitive type that enjoys slamming his head against a wall.

So after the cops kill you or you're fried or you're in prison for forever and ever, I'm sure your family will rest easy knowing that you avenged Fido.

They'll probably rest just as easy knowing that there are cops out there with a penchant for committing crimes and committing violence against innocent people - on those people's own property - and then getting away with it.

Good to know that the officers will go home safe, though, and that they'll be protected in their criminal and violent actions because they have immunity to commit those with impunity and only the "mere subjects" will pay the price.

Of course, if I showed up on your yard and shot your dog, then headed toward your home while still armed, I'd be shot dead (rightfully so) with no harm coming to you. Nice double standard there, Herr Staatspolizei

Yeah, that's where I was aiming (no pun intended but appreciated). An employment and political issue, not a legal one. And do no harm and don't piss people off if you can avoid it. My uncle ran the Sioux Falls department that way with an emphasis on police/citizen relations. Lo and behold crime went down and people (the good ones anyway) were happy to see the cops.
Advancing on a dog that is warning you is stupid. That dog was scared but retreating. It never advanced on the cop. My blood is boiling.

So.....that's a no?

Again, you haven't a clue, have no position, have no facts, and have no law.

Oh, but you have a shiny badge�

Have fun with that, as it's all you've got. Then again, that makes you "always right', at least in your own mind. Just go home safely, as that's really all that matters...

I have been around dogs, horse, cow, etc all of my life and IMHO that dog did not need to be shot. I would not have kicked at him nor would I have shot him.
How about signing your name to all the tough, butch, machismo stuff so the local coppers will know to avoid your toughness in the future.
Its a shame that guy didn't work for a department that could afford pepper spray. Just don't let any of the rowdy kids loose in the yard on a Birthday if you live in that town.

Do I need to wear orange on our next dove hunt?

Of course not, remember...I'm not the enemy.

And I'm gonna be ready for this year. I'm gonna practice and practice and practice, then bring a bunch of extra shells.
Originally Posted by jwp475

I have been around dogs, horse, cow, etc all of my life and IMHO that dog did not need to be shot. I would not have kicked at him nor would I have shot him.

So apply to the cop force and show everyone how the job should really be done.
I haven't met an expert rifleman yet that was worth a shyt with a shotgun...though most think they are. smile
It all changed when they went from being "Peace Officers" to "Law Enforcers".

en�force (ĕn-f�rs′, -fōrs′)
tr.v. en�forced, en�forc�ing, en�forc�es
1. To compel observance of or obedience to: enforce a law.

2. To impose (a kind of behavior, for example): enforce military discipline.

3. To give force to; reinforce:

Great point
He knew he screwed up the start over was
OK I came to me senses

These guys have tough jobs and I think they should get the benefit of the doubt
but this man was a hot head or had a bad day going
If you listen he doesnt sound very well educated

Hank

Of course not, remember...I'm not the enemy.

And I'm gonna be ready for this year. I'm gonna practice and practice and practice, then bring a bunch of extra shells.

yeah, the coppers here can't hit shyte either.
I haven't met an expert rifleman yet that was worth a shyt with a shotgun...though most think they are. smile

HAHAHAHA.....I just keep wanting to AIM it!
You all do.
That's what she said

I do not need to join a police force to have an opinion. My life experience with animals is valid and that dog should not have been shot.

Hmmm. I can't really believe the attitudes on this thread. Some of you ought to ashamed of yourselves and if you are threatening anyone, especially LEO doing their jobs, then you probably shouldn't own firearms. No wonder North American society is in such a rapid decline.

First off, this is the case of a bad dog owner. Those dogs were not controlled in any fashion and contravened dog at large laws. It is hard to tell for sure what the lab was doing, but two large dogs were harassing the officer. He did yell at the dogs and try to shoo them away. Where was the owner? His dogs are aggressively barking and a person yelling and he doesn't come investigate. Like I said, a bad owner caused this incident.

I'm not sure whether the officer needed to shoot the dog. I did animal control work for 10 years and was in this situation many times. Never got bit (some articles of clothing were perforated though). The second large dog definitely complicates things. One dog no problem. Much harder with two. I think the LEO could have gotten to the door without shooting the dog, however I wasn't there and the video does not show things perfectly. I understand the LEO is leery having been sent to the ER before by a dog bite.

We weren't armed, but there is only one time where I would have shot a dog. It went berserk and I thought my physical safety was at risk in a confined area. If I had the City Police 40 cal Glock, no doubt I would of used it on that dog. You had to be there. Think "CUJO".

Anyways, if the dog owner had contained his dogs, LEO wouldn't have been there in the first place. If the dog owner had of responded to his dogs barking and the LEO yelling, the LEO wouldn't have shot the dog. Bad dog owner.

I donor need to join a police force to have an opinion. My life experience with animals is valid and that dog should not have been shot.

Yeah, opinions are like bum holes...I have worked with and owned animals for the majority of my life as well (who cares), and I reckon the owner should have had the sense to not let his mongrels roam.
The dog I've got now is the first dog I've ever owned that I've kept fenced in. But I never lived in a place where people called the cops for a dog running around.

That's the most disturbing part of the whole thing to me.
Originally Posted by AB2506
Hmmm. I can't really believe the attitudes on this thread. Some of you ought to ashamed of yourselves and if you are threatening anyone, especially LEO doing their jobs, then you probably shouldn't own firearms. No wonder North American society is in such a rapid decline.

First off, this is the case of a bad dog owner. Those dogs were not controlled in any fashion and contravened dog at large laws. It is hard to tell for sure what the lab was doing, but two large dogs were harassing the officer. He did yell at the dogs and try to shoo them away. Where was the owner? His dogs are aggressively barking and a person yelling and he doesn't come investigate. Like I said, a bad owner caused this incident.

I'm not sure whether the officer needed to shoot the dog. I did animal control work for 10 years and was in this situation many times. Never got bit (some articles of clothing were perforated though). The second large dog definitely complicates things. One dog no problem. Much harder with two. I think the LEO could have gotten to the door without shooting the dog, however I wasn't there and the video does not show things perfectly. I understand the LEO is leery having been sent to the ER before by a dog bite.

We weren't armed, but there is only one time where I would have shot a dog. It went berserk and I thought my physical safety was at risk in a confined area. If I had the City Police 40 cal Glock, no doubt I would of used it on that dog. You had to be there. Think "CUJO".

Anyways, if the dog owner had contained his dogs, LEO wouldn't have been there in the first place. If the dog owner had of responded to his dogs barking and the LEO yelling, the LEO wouldn't have shot the dog. Bad dog owner.

If a LEO had an experience of being shot at during a domestic dispute call, does that give him the authority to gun down a hot-head husband on ensuing calls? The fact that he has been bitten by a dog has nothing to do with this call. My neighbors dog bit me while we evacuating for the Waldo Fire. It was a stress-filled atmosphere and I walked on his property to let him know our evac plans. His old white German bit me as I turned to walk away. Does that give the right to shoot my other neighbors dogs?
This thread is disturbing on many levels.

It is not the original post that is so disturbing, per se... But the willingness for lines in the sand to be drawn, and the willingness to use deadly force on both sides of the argument by the participants in this conversation here.

That is appalling to me.

Rather than fix the problem, the "Us against Them" mentality will guarantee that violence will be in the forecast.

Am I the only one disturbed by this?
I watched the video and think that the cop was incompetent and manipulative...

1) he has his gun out the whole time - I wonder how many postman and pizza delivery dudes have their gun drawn and are kicking a dog that are barking and wagging their tails in their yard?

2) the cop manipulates the scene to capture it on his camera - he started the confrontation with his kicking and yelling, I think he knew that he was going to shoot a dog before he got out of the car.....he could've called the homeowner and had the dog put away or called a post office employee for 'backup'

3) on the newspaper report, several people have commented that they had problems with this cop in the past - one said that he threatened to shoot an aggressive pug. I wonder if the homeowner and his dogs have a similar poor track record.

I think the cop would make an unpleasant fry cook, a decent landfill operator unless he has some seagull phobia, or a stellar computer programmer for the obamacare website (hey, they cannot get any worse). I don't think that he serves and protects, if he does stay on the force perhaps he would benefit from some training, like watching every Andy Griffith show featuring Barney Fife.
I watched the video.

That cop knows nothing about dogs or how to interact with them , he shows signs of cynophobia.

Mike
Am I the only boy that didn't care when Old Yeller got shot?

Travis
You are not the only one disturbed by that.
I'm a cop hater though, what do I know? Course I don't go to their house and shoot them. Maybe that makes me more of a cop disliker than a hater.

No, I'm actually a cop hater.
The cop is a pussy and the owner is a dumbass. New dogs are born everyday.
When a Glock is the only tool you have, it tends to get used more than it should. Dogs, Citizens........lots of 'em getting shot these days.
Yep, owner should have his animals under control at all time. My neighbor has a pit. Nice friendly dog. On his side of the fence.
Now
Why all these dog shootings lately?
What's fueling them?
Seems like it's automatic to plug any dog on sight.
It's gonna come and bite you cops in the ass pretty soon. Pun intended.

The answer to your question is easy, those people do not [receive] intense mental and physical Gestapo training.
laugh
What a load of bullschitt. The owner was a douche-bag letting his dogs run free, neighbors call in and some of you are now trying to tell me there was no aggressive behavior by the dog?

You are all the same people who routinely blow away stray dogs that come on to your property and yet this guy let's his have the run of the neighborhood and you fault the LEO?

He shot the 7-year-old black labrador, �Hooch,� Clubb said, though it showed no aggressive behavior.

Clubb said he suffers Parkinson�s disease, and Hooch was his trained service animal.

Bullschtt. No trained service animal acts like that towards people.

That's not been my experience. If, for example, the propane man comes to check and fill my propane tank, he will first honk his horn when he sees that my dog is out. If I don't hear that, he calls me from his cell phone and asks me to bring my dog in. Other service personnel have conducted themselves similarly over the years. Not once have any of them left, as you describe, because my dog was out, and not once have any of them shot my dog.
Yep, owner should have his animals under control at all time. My neighbor has a pit. Nice friendly dog. On his side of the fence.
Now
What's fueling them?

It's not just cops. People are sick of stray and uncontrollable dogs.

I almost had to shoot one about three weeks ago. My patience is the only thing that kept the owner from having a dead dog.

And strangely enough, that very same day two stray pitbulls were shotgunned not more than 5 miles from where my incident took place.

Travis
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
The cop is a pussy and the owner is a dumbass. New dogs are born everyday.

Now...that pretty much sums it up.
I've shot exactly one dog, on duty, in 31 years. It was a doberman that happened to have belonged to a friend and ripped a kid off a bike. I kill more than that almost every weekend chasing the deer on our property. Some things are never gonna end good.
There's a retired cop here that had to shoot a dog in front of the Dairy Queen one summer day. It is one of the funniest stories I have ever heard. And I've yet to meet somebody that doesn't die laughing when he tells the story.

Travis
Just to add, in my neighborhood...if a neighbor's dog gets out, we just catch it and bring it back to the family. If they are away, then we care for it until they get back.

My dad used to do the same when I was a boy, regardless of the pet - dog, horse, cow.

It's called being neighborly, do unto others and such...an idea often lost in America's urban jungles.

Okay, watched the dog-shooting part of the video, and then read the story.

Officer Tarek Hassani came to his home on Jacklyne Circle on complaints of dogs running at-large.

He shot the 7-year-old black labrador, �Hooch,� Clubb said, though it showed no aggressive behavior.

Clubb said he suffers Parkinson�s disease, and Hooch was his trained service animal.

First impression: "Trained service animal" my azz. What kind of moron lets a trained service animal run around loose in the street? (Neighbors reported it.) With another dog, too. So the owner is a fool.

Second impression: The officer needs a transfer to Animal Control.
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
Just to add, in my neighborhood...if a neighbor's dog gets out, we just catch it and bring it back to the family. If they are away, then we care for it until they get back.

My dad used to do the same when I was a boy, regardless of the pet - dog, horse, cow.

It's called being neighborly, do unto others and such...an idea often lost in America's urban jungles.

And what do you do when the neighborhood dog doesn't get out, but is let out... everyday to roam the hood and crap where they please?

I ain't talkin' "pets". I'm talking about dog "lovers" who continuously drop litters of mutts off in the woods to grow up like coyotes. Like people, there's nothing better better than the good one's, and nothing worse than the bad ones.
IMO the cops a putz and went overboard.

One thing that's missing from this is the dog's history. The neighbors complained about him, so there might, could be a number of people on the street with stories of bad behavior.

Put another way, and for all we know, the dog might have had it coming.
"And what do you do when the neighborhood dog doesn't get out, but is let out... everyday to roam the hood and crap where they please?"

Well, that hasn't happened in our neighborhood in the 5 years we've lived here.

We actually get along with our neighbors, we share more than property lines.
Maybe the local cop shop should reassess procedures and issue a can of tennis balls to each officer.

Thousands have died from police Tasers. They're recorded, however, as death from cardiac arrest rather than death by Taser.
If he was scared how hard was it to get back in his car, and have dispatch call the house and tell the folks to put up that dog?
That's what normal folks do, but cops these days are selected for super dominant personality type, and this is cultivated further in academy and thereafter, i.e., their egos don't permit them to do anything that creates any impression other than total domination of whatever environment they find themselves in. Retreating from a dog would go counter to this.

I do the same thing.

Travis
Y'all have DQs way up there? Heck, I might come visit after all.
Ooooops fat thumb syndrome strikes again. Thanks. Next time I will just say intense Jack Booted Thug training. laugh
There are no Whataburgers in Montana. Maybe they've got Luby's.
The Texas Legislature has proclaimed Whataburger an official state treasure.

It was a ridiculous waste of time and tax payer money, but I can't bring myself to complain about it. After all, it's Whataburger.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
There are no Whataburgers in Montana. Maybe they've got Luby's.

Yeah. And it is only open in the summer.

Travis
The Texas Legislature has proclaimed Whataburger an official state treasure.

It was a ridiculous waste of time and tax payer money, but I can't bring myself to complain about it. After all, it's Whataburger.

I swear they put meth on their burgers. First time I ate one I thought 'WTF is so good about this POS?'

About two weeks later I had to have another one.

Travis
OK, I've cooled down after watching the cop shoots family pet video. I'm strongly back into my more normal "cop disliker" camp.
FTR, that cop sucks and should be unemployed.
What a piece of sh*t of a cop.

Doc
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Mark

This^^^^^^
There is plenty of blame to go around in this situation.

That officer knows nothing of dogs and their behavior.
He was scared and aggressive from the moment he exited his cruiser.

The lab was wagging his tail, the dog was trying to figure out if he was friend or foe?

If the officer would have knelt down and talked to the dog, he could have extended his hand let the dog smell him and walked up to the front door together.

Then the officer could have chewed the owners azz, givin him a warning and problem solved.

Now if the dog would haved pinned his ears, straightened his tail, bared his teeth and stood his ground, I would shoot the dog!!

The situation escalated when the officer attempted to kick the dog and advance onto the dogs territory.
Most dogs would be aggressive in that situation.

The neighbor should also be read the riot act for wasting the officers time with such a petty call.

Where was animal control? don't we pay them to handle these situations?

That officer revealed a deep flaw in his personality and should be confined to a desk job or let go.

I would have given the dog a biscuit and slapped the owner myself. smile
Originally Posted by irfubar

That is usually the root cause of fear, and could be applied to many of our posters regarding many subjects.

That is usually the root cause of fear, and could be applied to many of our posters regarding many subjects.

Pat,
I suspect if you would have been called there would be a happy outcome for all.
Same ole Shcit. A POS COP, and every cop here defending his actions. I'd of at the very least kicked the pchukkk out of him, and in short order. He'd of wished he was bitten...

Pat,
I suspect if you would have been called there would be a happy outcome for all.

Seldom in the cop business is everybody made happy, but thanks you for the props and you can bet I would have got out of there without doing something that would create paperwork. smile
Originally Posted by grovey
Same ole Shcit. A POS COP, and every cop here defending his actions. I'd of at the very least kicked the pchukkk out of him, and in short order. He'd of wished he was bitten...

He tried to kick the dog. It was not effective.

Travis
Same ole Shcit. A POS COP, and every cop here defending his actions.

Prove it.
How did this babbling idiot pass his psych test? Think he could be a hazard to society with his paranoia
Is he going to shoot every dog not on a leash cause he was bit once?

Prove it.

Your avatar does.
Originally Posted by Plinker
Don't cops get any training when it come to dealing with dogs, other than just shooting them? I could have handled those dogs better, even without a firearm.

No, nor do they get training for dealing with wild animals (four-legged kind) or multiple domestic animals.

I'm wondering where this Department is on using OC (pepper spray) on animals? That was our first choice of response for dogs that appeared aggressive. Most dogs are just being territorial towards strangers and could be expected to be aggressive.

Yes, I've been bitten by a large dog while on duty, if you count a 140lb pitbull in that category, and never want to experience that again.

Ed
Originally Posted by shootAI
How did this babbling idiot pass his psych test? Think he could be a hazard to society with his paranoia

First of all, what makes you think he's paranoid? Scared, yes. paranoid, who knows?

Second, not all agencies psych test their applicants. Some quit doing it (San Francisco PD for one) because it was "too discriminatory".

Ed

Prove it.

Your avatar does.

You could save some time by constructing a signature line that says "I am ignorant." and leaving your post's blank.
... you can bet I would have got out of there without doing something that would create paperwork. smile

And without making a video of dumphukitude that goes viral all over the world. grin
140 lb. Pitbull?

Seldom in the cop business is everybody made happy, but thanks you for the props and you can bet I would have got out of there without doing something that would create paperwork. smile

You raise a good point. I'd love to read the officer's incident report. "I tried kicking the animal with my boot which upset him more. So, I drew my weapon and shot him."
I've been around dogs specifically labs my whole life and trained them for close to 20 years. Nothing apparent in that video shows an aggressive dog. They were both wagging their tails and bouncing around.

The previous poster had it right, slow the [bleep] down, talk to the dog calmly and give it a chance to smell you, maybe a pat or 2 And head for the door.

The yelling and kicking of the dog only slum it up more but I don't see where it pinned its ears or advanced on the officer or in any way acted threatening. Hell it was barking but still wagging its tail and backing up.

Nope I see nothing threatening whatsoever. That said none of us know that dog or its owners history which may have warranted more caution. Also the dog shouldnt be let to run free.

I don't have fences on my front yard nor underground fencing but every one of my dogs knows they leave my lawn its their ass. Hell thrown a steak or ball on the sidewalk and they still won't leave my yard without permission.

That officer needs to be pulled off the streets for sure. If he can't handle a dog then hr likely can't handle people.

I also am damn sure that every LEO on this site would have handled that situation completely opposite of what was shown and the result would have been the dog put up safely and the owner dealt with and not a round fired.
Originally Posted by snubbie
140 lb. Pitbull?

Yup, named "Thor". Looked big as a horse when he came around the corner of the porch and latched onto me. No growling, no barking, just there and teeth embedded.

A friend of mine who owns an auto repair shop in Anchorage has one that big, too. His name is "Zeus".

They can be bred big.

Ed
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
If he can't handle a dog then hr likely can't handle people.

I think the video showed he can't handle people very well.

Prove it.

Your avatar does.

You could save some time by constructing a signature line that says "I am ignorant." and leaving your post's blank.

PIG..
140 lb. Pitbull?
Yeah, I was stunned by that too. A hundred pound Pitbull is considered a freakish giant for the breed. My 70 pound male was considered huge by Pitbull standards.

[Linked Image]
I've been around dogs specifically labs my whole life and trained them for close to 20 years. Nothing apparent in that video shows an aggressive dog. They were both wagging their tails and bouncing around.

The previous poster had it right, slow the [bleep] down, talk to the dog calmly and give it a chance to smell you, maybe a pat or 2 And head for the door.

The yelling and kicking of the dog only slum it up more but I don't see where it pinned its ears or advanced on the officer or in any way acted threatening. Hell it was barking but still wagging its tail and backing up.

Nope I see nothing threatening whatsoever. That said none of us know that dog or its owners history which may have warranted more caution. Also the dog shouldnt be let to run free.

I don't have fences on my front yard nor underground fencing but every one of my dogs knows they leave my lawn its their ass. Hell thrown a steak or ball on the sidewalk and they still won't leave my yard without permission.

That officer needs to be pulled off the streets for sure. If he can't handle a dog then hr likely can't handle people.

I also am damn sure that every LEO on this site would have handled that situation completely opposite of what was shown and the result would have been the dog put up safely and the owner dealt with and not a round fired.

+1

Doc

That is because all of us are outdoorsmen, most of us have hunting dogs and some of us are professional dog handlers. None of that is a prerequsite to being a LEO.
lol
140 lb. Pitbull?
Yeah, I was stunned by that too. A hundred pound Pitbull is considered a freakish giant for the breed. My 70 pound male was considered huge by Pitbull standards.

That's what the scales said when he was placed into the Animal Control Shelter for post-bite quarantine and disease testing.

Ed
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
140 lb. Pitbull?

Yup, named "Thor". Looked big as a horse when he came around the corner of the porch and latched onto me. No growling, no barking, just there and teeth embedded.

A friend of mine who owns an auto repair shop in Anchorage has one that big, too. His name is "Zeus".

They can be bred big.

Ed
Probably either a pure Presa Canario or a half Pitbull half Presa Canario.

Here's a typical Presa Canario. They look like huge Pitbulls.

[Linked Image]
Yeah, that's what he looked like, coloration and all. His owner said he was registered Pit, so that's what I called him and what he was put in doggie jail as.

Ed
the cop could have walked right passed both of them dogs, the Chihuahua was more likely to bit him..
The man should file a civil suit against the City and the Department and at least get compensation for the dog and then he should have to pay the ticket for letting he dog run loose in the streets. The cops action should be reviewed and he should be sent for more training and demoted back to meters maid or suspended .
Man, that cop is an incompetent retard as well as a puzz. None of the cops I know would handle that situation that way, but none of them are the type of people who are in over their heads when a couple of dogs bark at them which that doofus obviously was. Video cop needs to seek another way to make a living even if he isn't fired, he'll be resorting to the same shoot first tactics with people if he ever finds himself in an uncomfortable situation.

That aside, the real blame is on the dog owner. You can't have dogs running loose in a suburb, it's not only against the law but also irresponsible. Accidents happen, but it seems he knew they were outside loose. Furthermore, if you know your dogs are outside unrestrained and you hear them barking their azzes off you better get your lazy loser self out there and see what's going on.

Whataburger rules.

Edit to add: with the cop in question's name I might have expected him to yell "Allahu-akbar!" and blow himself up when the dogs approached. That's what us Irish guys do, right? smile I know... I'm ignorant.
"And what do you do when the neighborhood dog doesn't get out, but is let out... everyday to roam the hood and crap where they please?"

Well, that hasn't happened in our neighborhood in the 5 years we've lived here.

We actually get along with our neighbors, we share more than property lines.

But it does happen..two dogs on my neighborhood alone. It is obvious the dogs in question in this article are let out by the owner.

That is because all of us are outdoorsmen, most of us have hunting dogs and some of us are professional dog handlers. None of that is a prerequsite to being a LEO.

Lt,

If you were this guy's superior, what would you do now? What do you think the dept. should do?

-Steve
Originally Posted by Steve

Lt,

If you were this guy's superior, what would you do now? What do you think the dept. should do?

-Steve
Boil him in oil, for starters.
At least he was a good shot.......... Right? Maybe he meant not to kill swiftly, more just a form of a warning shot. I bet the wagging tail distracted him from making a Clean shot. Take his gun and his badge. Sorry LEO but that was a poor example of civilian judgement, let alone trained peace officer judgement.
Originally Posted by RyeDaddy

That aside, the real blame is on the dog owner. You can't have dogs running loose in a suburb, it's not only against the law but also irresponsible. Accidents happen, but it seems he knew they were outside loose. Furthermore, if you know your dogs are outside unrestrained and you hear them barking their azzes off you better get your lazy loser self out there and see what's going on.

Whataburger rules.

Exactly..Why wasnt the owner checking out what all the ruckus was about.. I suspect the neighbors all want to buy the cop dinner..Cuz the dogs owner was obviously an oblivious POS.. At the end of the day, the cop certainly didnt have to shoot the dog, but its one less pain in the azz running loose in the neighborhood..Glad i live out in the sticks

A1 burger please!
Oh yeah. Burgerville!

Two of these killed a woman named Diane Whipple in the hallway of her San Francisco apartment some years ago. Just ripped her to pieces.

[Linked Image]
This one was aggressive to a green bean. Wonder if the cop might have misinterpreted his behavior, too.

Originally Posted by rosco1

Exactly..Why wasnt the owner checking out what all the ruckus was about.. I suspect the neighbors all want to buy the cop dinner..Cuz the dogs owner was obviously an oblivious POS.. At the end of the day, the cop certainly didnt have to shoot the dog, but its one less pain in the azz running loose in the neighborhood..Glad i live out in the sticks

A1 burger please!

You let your dogs, kids, whatever run around unmonitored and you may find that bad things happen to them. Be it an overzealous chickin-chit cop who shoots first, a miserable rotten teen with a pellet gun zapping cats and other pets from his window, or some dikhed driving a monster truck who likes to run over animals, if you leave them out front to roam there is a chance they'll come into contact with and fall victim to one of the above and be maimed or killed. When that happens it's on you just as much as the perpetrator, cuz you should have known better.

That's why I blame the owner ultimately. Cop didn't just show up for no reason to blow something away, he was called because the neighbors complained. Again pointing to a useless dog owner.

Just the same, Officer Scaredy doesn't need to be a cop either. It's apparent to me he is not cut out for the pressure and responsibility of his job. I wasn't taking up for him, nor am I a cop if anybody got that impression.

Lt,

-Steve

First gather all the facts, then if it were determined that the guy screwed up, forward it to be investigated thoroughly by our IAD Division (which means sworn statements by all parties involved) and then to our Disciplinary Review Board, where they make a recommendation to the COP, who has ultimate authority. Of course, if the guy is a "loose cannon", I'd send him home 'til that decision was rendered. As I've stated many times before, 10% of all LEO's are gonna get canned, and are just waiting for the chance to show their stripes.
Originally Posted by nomad_archer
What a pos officer. That dog didn't try to bite him. You shoot my dog like that in my front yard and I will be going to jail and you will be going to the hospital if not worse. He was rational at the end might have wanted to try that at the beginning. Kicking at a dog isn't going to help your cause.

I would unleash some severe a$$ thumping at the very least...gd stupid MFR PIG!

Lt,

-Steve

First gather all the facts, then if it were determined that the guy screwed up, forward it to be investigated thoroughly by our IAD Division (which means sworn statements by all parties involved) and then to our Disciplinary Review Board, where they make a recommendation to the COP, who has ultimate authority. Of course, if the guy is a "loose cannon", I'd send him home 'til that decision was rendered. As I've stated many times before, 10% of all LEO's are gonna get canned, and are just waiting for the chance to show their stripes.

Thanks! From my experience the 10% number likely a constant in any line of work.
I've been thinking about a DQ ice cream cone all afternoon.
Police officers have the same percentage of idiots as the general population they are pulled from.
How about the retired cop shooting a man in a movie theater over a text message to a baby sitter and a bag of popcorn in the face.

Idiot cop + irresponsible dog owner = dead dog

Needless Bloody shame all the way around
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Anyone agree?

The counter argument is who pays for the additional manpower? Cops get sent to everything nowadays because a large segment of the population can't think or do for themselves. "My son won't get up to go to school....call the cops. My daughter is dating a black guy and I don't like it.....call the cops, etc, etc." Animal runs come in everyday.

For the record, the cop in the video is a douchebag puzzy and needs to be filling grocery bags as a profession.

Strawberry Sunday and a chili dog w/ onions.

Make it a foot-long chili dog with extra onions and a chocolate malt. grin

Ed

They have chili dogs? Never been to one, but one just a couple of months ago opened up a couple of miles from here. Might give that a try.
Now
What's fueling them?

I'd wager and win there are less dog shootings today than 50 yrs ago, even 20 yrs ago. The difference is the reporting.
Average dogs at best inmo. Love their ice cream though.
Somebody gimmie a cheeseburger
Originally Posted by deflave
Now
What's fueling them?

I almost had to shoot one about three weeks ago. My patience is the only thing that kept the owner from having a dead dog.

And strangely enough, that very same day two stray pitbulls were shotgunned not more than 5 miles from where my incident took place.

Travis

Somebody needs to plug you,the world would be a nicer place.
Yeah they have chili dogs but they ain't nothing special I just have them throw one in with the ice cream order.
Poor form to shoot a dog just cause you 'can'.

Haven't read the entire thread and didn't click on the vid. Don't care to watch a dog(in it's own front yard) get shot.

Chitcan the cop.

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye [/quote

[Linked Image]

THAT, is one muscular sob! shocked
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
He's pretty ripped.
Steak finger basket and a Dilly-Bar. Or just a banana split for dinner.

New DQ just opened 2 miles from my house. Hmmmm...

[Linked Image</div><div class=" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

THAT, is one muscular sob! shocked[/quote]

That dog looks small for a p. canario. Unfortunately, I had a dealing with one of them. It didnt make it. I have little use for dogs running loose which (not 'who') are made for eating folks.
One less dog.....what's the problem again?
I will refrain from watching the video. Did the dog approach the officer wagging its tail or in a threatening manner. Cops which can't tell the difference need a different job or working the desk. They don't need to be chasing criminals through people's back yards.
Originally Posted by Swampman700
One less dog.....what's the problem again?

I tend to enjoy dogs more than people at times,
How about one less swampy?
If swampy(or anyone else) comes up to my house and shoots my dog on my property they have a very serious problem.
I don't think there's a member here who wouldn't stick up for their dog.
Dont think his golf cart would make it onto your property. Then there's the fact that your dog is too small for him to azz-shoot. You're good.......

George
Originally Posted by NH K9
Then there's the fact that your dog is too small for him to azz-shoot. You're good.......

George

laughing!

Little known secret about the deadly lap dogs, they are too small to hit, even for a great shot like Swampy.

These are the situations where it is evident the Chief of Police is at fault for failing to train his officers. Lawyers should go after these Police Chiefs and Mayors/City Councils for whom these Barney Fife's work for incompetence. This is a clear case of supervisory error.
The cop is a total coward that hides behind a gun. It is no wonder some people intensely hate cops. This loser is the worst form of human being. a total scum bag. Letting him loose with a gun and allowing him to shoot at will is hard to describe in words. The police department management must be desperate to have a total fool and a coward driving around wearing a uniform and having a pistol on his hip.
I wouldn't put it past this loser if he would shoot a kid riding a bicycle towards him.
His face belongs in the dictionary under reprobate.

Lt,

-Steve

For a start he is down on ammo...issue more.

I notice that most here haven't bothered mentioning that the owner is the one responsible for the dogs being out and starting all the hullaballoo in the first place.
Originally Posted by SoDakota
The cop is a total coward that hides behind a gun.

And unfortunately, he represents his department when he is in the field. Unfortunately for his fellow LEOs, they will be frowned upon by people offended by the video.
Originally Posted by SoDakota
The cop is a total coward that hides behind a gun. It is no wonder some people intensely hate cops.

Anybody that hates somebody they don't know is a moron. Then again, if morons didn't exist, we wouldn't need cops. Carry on.
Originally Posted by okok

You just say that because your life sucks.

Travis
If only drugs were legal, this would have never happened.
He's pretty ripped.

A good friend of mine has one and those dogs are absolutely gorgeous. Pretty impressive to see up close.

Travis

Travis

Wow...how'd I miss that? That high tide effect is really on.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I don't think there's a member here who wouldn't stick up for their dog.

I shot one of my own bitches for jumping the fence and packing up with pig-dogs in town, she was a Rhodesian Ridgeback and stupid enough to savage someone.
And should I ever have another do the same and someone else gets to shoot it then the fault will be mine for not controlling it.
He's pretty ripped.

A good friend of mine has one and those dogs are absolutely gorgeous. Pretty impressive to see up close.

Travis
I've toyed with the idea of getting one for years. Can't imagine being happier with a dog than the one I have now, though.

[Linked Image]
http://www.topbluekennels.com/

I need to arrange for you to meet Paladin [David]. grin
We stopped at a Florida DQ on our way to Disney and the fools DIDN'T HAVE STEAK FANGERS!!!!!!! When she saw the appalled look on my face the girl asked, "You're from Texas aren't you? They always look like that after they ask for steak fingers." (She pronounced it "fingers" instead of "fangers", which looking back on it might have been the source of our confusion.)

By they did have quesadillas...... "Whoa, wait. I started out a few hours from Meheekoh and we had steak fangers and no kaysuhdillus. Then I drove all cotton pickin day to Florida and now DareEKuWeen has dog gone Messcan food and NO STEAK FANGERS?" ------ "Yes sir. That's correct. That's the question y'all always ask right after you get that look on your face you just had."
My 55 pound shelter dog (half Pitbull) is more than enough dog for me.

I'd like that.
Anybody that hates somebody they don't know is a moron.

Uh oh.

How much disdain am I allowed to have? I'm treading on thin ice here.

Uh oh.

I think it plateaus out at mild irritation.

Uh oh.

Did you and you're new buddy make nice nice yet?
Real men don't need big dogs to compensate for their inadequacy.
When the POS cop got the front door he said " I just shot your dog". The correct statement would have been " I had to shot your dog to protect my self, he intended to shoot the dog as soon as he exited his cruiser. Then he verbally intimidated/threatened the dog owner after telling him he shot his dog. Really!!!

Anyone have any idea where this happened and what police dept this POS worked for?? I am just livid on this incident.

Doc

Originally Posted by Fireball2
Real men don't need big dogs to compensate for their inadequacy.

The size of ones dog, should be proportional to the size of ones lot. Small lot, small dog. Anything under an acre, should be cat, or gerbil only.
We stopped at a Florida DQ on our way to Disney and the fools DIDN'T HAVE STEAK FANGERS!!!!!!! When she saw the appalled look on my face the girl asked, "You're from Texas aren't you? They always look like that after they ask for steak fingers." (She pronounced it "fingers" instead of "fangers", which looking back on it might have been the source of our confusion.)

By they did have quesadillas...... "Whoa, wait. I started out a few hours from Meheekoh and we had steak fangers and no kaysuhdillus. Then I drove all cotton pickin day to Florida and now DareEKuWeen has dog gone Messcan food and NO STEAK FANGERS?" ------ "Yes sir. That's correct. That's the question y'all always ask right after you get that look on your face you just had."
DQ's used to be all ice-cream when I was a kid. Then they started making them bigger and calling them "Brazier's". I remember they had the "Belt Buster". Most DQ's have a pretty limited food menu. My Dad had the one in Hillsboro bought and the old boy backed out on him. The one closest to us is still an ice cream only. There's a drive in next to it and the same guy used to own both. Then the DQ got sold off with the agreement they not serve food and the restaurant not serve ice cream.

Travis

Wow...how'd I miss that? That high tide effect is really on.

Good thread. Lots of death wishes.

Travis
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
When the POS cop got the front door he said " I just shot your dog". The correct statement would have been " I had to shot your dog to protect my self, he intended to shoot the dog as soon as he exited his cruiser. Then he verbally intimidated/threatened the dog owner after telling him he shot his dog. Really!!!

Anyone have any idea where this happened and what police dept this POS worked for?? I am just livid on this incident.

Doc

He exited his vehicle gun in hand. He had already made up his mind he was going to shoot a dog or two.

Doc

Twin Falls, ID
Once more:

What exactly is your definition of unrestrained?

confused
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Doc

He exited his vehicle gun in hand. He had already made up his mind he was going to shoot a dog or two.

That was my take, also.

Stupid owner
Stupid cop.

smirk
Might be a good idear to have a bag of dog biscuits along with you. Dogs become your best friend quick.
I pulled into a place once and this huge German Shep. stretched out and put his paws on my trucks windersill. This was a big dog. Gave him a piece of venison jerky and he was good to go.
Guess he won't let his dogs run loose in the hood anymore. I would have let the dog bite me then sue the idiot dog owner.
Done it b4.

Good thread. Lots of death wishes.

Travis

So, we have this jerkoff okok that just ran his "Anxieties" problem past the group here,......tellin' me

Trust me....you're on my short list Mister. wink

....and writin' the chit to you quoted above......

.........In the lack of any immediately brilliant comment, I'm just going to fall back on WOW !

Sickos abound.

WE'RE CONDUCTING A DIALOGUE WITH ONE,.....

Please do a double GFY invocation, if you can.

.....for okok,.....stomps foot, yells SHOO !

GTC

I'd like that.

A little birdy told me that David was going to try to make it to the Gathering here. grin

Ed
Nice.
He likes to fire his gun
http://magicvalley.com/news/local/t...e0d52a0-468e-586e-b8b2-f6c61ab81c2e.html

Doc

Twin Falls, ID
Just to be exact it was Filer, ID, about 5 miles east of Twin Falls. You know, one of those country towns where people have to lock their doors and keep vicious dogs due to all the home invasions and drive-bys, where no one says hello to their neighbors but rather eyes them suspiciously while keeping their hand on the butt of their guns. Where they have a mortality rate in the police department approaching 50% annually and the sound of gunfire is as omnipresent as the smell of cows.

Where people hide behind high fences and live in constant fear of violating any of the local ordinances lest the SWAT team drive through their door in an MRAP. Where people save their money and look forward to the day when they can move to someplace safe, like Detroit.

You know the kind of place, typical small country town America.

We get them every once in a while. No way to know until they pull the trigger when they shouldn't.
Now
What's fueling them?

Travis

You're an idiot.
It's pretty embarrassing to think some of these people are on our side ain't it?
This thread will go at least another 10 pages if someone says the secret word.
the secret word.
Well now you've done it. You went and said the secret word.
You did too. Now it'll be another 20 pages.
Will PETA build a doggy monument?
Dog gone, is this finally over?
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
the secret word.

Mason's.
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Will PETA build a doggy monument?

No...but half the dills on here are probably planning a candlelight vigil as we speak.
Not a lot of black people in Idaho and cops have to shoot something to keep from getting bored so a dog would have to do . cops I'm my town would never shoot a dog if they did they would not have anything to [bleep] all day long . Remember you are not capable of driving and talking on the phone but a cop can drive talk on the phone and type on a lap top all at the same time hypocritical NO.
Just another [bleep] for brains cop.
Here ya go Fred, so you won't feel left out.
This one ain't edited.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=41d_1392084950
It is going to be hilarious watching the usual suspects defend the cop when one of these days one of them shoots a dog in a crowded neighborhood like that and has the bullet ricochet into a bedroom and kill a kid.
And how about some of you lot actually look at the footage this time around...and turn the sound up.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
It is going to be hilarious watching the usual suspects defend the cop when one of these days one of them shoots a dog in a crowded neighborhood like that and has the bullet ricochet into a bedroom and kill a kid.

So go join the cop force and shew them how it is done.

Wouldn't that be kind of like giving yourself a lobotomy to show people that being retarded isn't all that bad?

Wouldn't that be kind of like giving yourself a lobotomy to show people that being retarded isn't all that bad?

On the contrary, it would be exactly like putting your money where your mouth is.
The dog I've got now is the first dog I've ever owned that I've kept fenced in. But I never lived in a place where people called the cops for a dog running around.

That's the most disturbing part of the whole thing to me.

+1.........

I donor need to join a police force to have an opinion. My life experience with animals is valid and that dog should not have been shot.

Yeah, opinions are like bum holes...I have worked with and owned animals for the majority of my life as well (who cares), and I reckon the owner should have had the sense to not let his mongrels roam.

If so then you should know labs tendencies. No way in hell he should have shot that dog. No way

If so then you should know labs tendencies. No way in hell he should have shot that dog. No way

Indeed I do, there are two of them not one hundred yards away from me as I type, they are in the yard at the corner house and are the biggest, fattest, most vicious black bastards that have ever drawn breath...and the only reason they are still drawing breath is they cannot get over the fence to maul the kids and adults walking by on their way to the local school.
I have dealt with pits, healers, rotties , shepherds, mongrels, Dobermans...and nothing I have seen are as nasty as those two, and the first time I see them out I am going to kill them.
...but there is a line of parents in front of me that have exactly the same intention.

And for those who don't like it, I do not give a f_ck.
Friendly dogs, when they are behind their yard fence, will often appear to the lily-livered to be vicious and scary. No fence, and all they want to do to passers by is give them a big hug, tails awaggin. You can't tell a thing about a dog by how they act when fenced in. Barkers in that context are often sweetly dispositioned in any other.
I would have had to return to base/office dressing room for a good hand wash and fresh uniform from playing with those two dogs on the way to the door to tell the owner to put em up.

Gunner
I must be slipping as I actually read your drivel, bored I guess.

Any time you would like to test your theory about the dogs or my own disposition I would be very pleased to oblige you.

I live in Hay New South Wales and am the only JSTUART in town.

Indeed I do, there are two of them not one hundred yards away from me as I type, they are in the yard at the corner house and are the biggest, fattest, most vicious black bastards that have ever drawn breath...and the only reason they are still drawing breath is they cannot get over the fence to maul the kids and adults walking by on their way to the local school.
I have dealt with pits, healers, rotties , shepherds, mongrels, Dobermans...and nothing I have seen are as nasty as those two, and the first time I see them out I am going to kill them.

BS labs aren't viscous, just as I thought you are clueless

Well good for you, not only do you know it all...your vision is good enough to see several thousand miles.

...and you managed to do so in the dark!

Well good for you, not only do you know it all...your vision is good enough to see several thousand miles.

...and you managed to do so in the dark!

If they are vicious as you claim, then they are the first that I have heard of. As for as a now it all you need to look in the mirror my friend.

Here you go, one in your neck of the woods...but it cannot really have happened as you know better.

...don't you.

Link to lab mauling child

A Pennsylvania child is recovering today after being attacked by a black lab in Bucks County. Although the attack took place several days ago, 15-month-old John Heller was re-admitted to the hospital Tuesday night after his cuts became infected.

The child was playing with his mother in James Memorial Park when a stray dog, described as a black lab or black lab mix, emerged from the nearby woods and began to bite the young boy. The dog finally released its grip after being kicked by the fiance' of the child's mother.

The boy is expected to be released from the hospital Thursday, however, he must now undergo a series of rabies shots. His mother has stated that the child may also need plastic surgery depending on how his wounds heal.

Despite a neighborhood canvas, police have not been able to locate the dog. Officials are asking for anyone with information on the animal or its owner to please contact the Pennridge police department at 215-257-5104.

Animal advocates have pointed to this recent incident as proof that any dog, regardless of breed, can pose a risk if not properly trained and supervised. While fringe groups comprised of supporters of breed specific legislation have been quite vocal in espousing the statistically incorrect belief that pit bull type dogs are more likely than other breeds to display aggression toward humans, a series of recent attacks involving other breeds has reinforced the stance held by most animal welfare and veterinary organizations that any breed is capable of biting when human negligence factors into the equation.

Several husky breed dogs have made headlines in recent months for preventable attacks on children, including two fatalities which involved unmonitored huskies being left alone with infants. In July, two-year-old Lucy Harris received numerous stitches after being attacked by a Labrador collie whose owner had accidentally allowed the dog to escape from her home. Fifteen-month-old Liana Lindsey suffered numerous bite wounds to the face after being mauled by an unsupervised seven pound Yorkshire terrier in August. Just this Monday, six-year-old Cheyenne Weastell of Britain was hospitalized after being attacked by a loose dog described to be a shepherd mix.

Although science proves that the majority of dogs are non-aggressive and extremely loyal to humans, research suggests that a host of factors can cause an animal to bite. Results from a recent Australian study showed that unaltered dogs are three times more likely to bite a human than an animal that is spayed or neutered. The same study found that chained dogs are three times more likely to bite than unchained dogs. After reviewing data from reported bite cases, researchers concluded that the majority of these dog bites could be prevented by better training and adult supervision of children with dogs.

While the recent incident involving John Heller shows no fault whatsoever on his guardian's end, the fact that black labs do not commonly live in the wild suggests that the attacking dog did belong to a human at one time. Any persons with information on the individual who was responsible for the animal are encouraged to contact the Pennridge police department.

And I am not your friend, you don't make the grade.
Here you go, one in your neck of the woods...but it cannot really have happened as you know better.

...don't you.

Link to lab mauling child

A Pennsylvania child is recovering today after being attacked by a black lab in Bucks County. Although the attack took place several days ago, 15-month-old John Heller was re-admitted to the hospital Tuesday night after his cuts became infected.

The child was playing with his mother in James Memorial Park when a stray dog, described as a black lab or black lab mix, emerged from the nearby woods and began to bite the young boy. The dog finally released its grip after being kicked by the fiance' of the child's mother.

The boy is expected to be released from the hospital Thursday, however, he must now undergo a series of rabies shots. His mother has stated that the child may also need plastic surgery depending on how his wounds heal.

Despite a neighborhood canvas, police have not been able to locate the dog. Officials are asking for anyone with information on the animal or its owner to please contact the Pennridge police department at 215-257-5104.

Animal advocates have pointed to this recent incident as proof that any dog, regardless of breed, can pose a risk if not properly trained and supervised. While fringe groups comprised of supporters of breed specific legislation have been quite vocal in espousing the statistically incorrect belief that pit bull type dogs are more likely than other breeds to display aggression toward humans, a series of recent attacks involving other breeds has reinforced the stance held by most animal welfare and veterinary organizations that any breed is capable of biting when human negligence factors into the equation.

Several husky breed dogs have made headlines in recent months for preventable attacks on children, including two fatalities which involved unmonitored huskies being left alone with infants. In July, two-year-old Lucy Harris received numerous stitches after being attacked by a Labrador collie whose owner had accidentally allowed the dog to escape from her home. Fifteen-month-old Liana Lindsey suffered numerous bite wounds to the face after being mauled by an unsupervised seven pound Yorkshire terrier in August. Just this Monday, six-year-old Cheyenne Weastell of Britain was hospitalized after being attacked by a loose dog described to be a shepherd mix.

Although science proves that the majority of dogs are non-aggressive and extremely loyal to humans, research suggests that a host of factors can cause an animal to bite. Results from a recent Australian study showed that unaltered dogs are three times more likely to bite a human than an animal that is spayed or neutered. The same study found that chained dogs are three times more likely to bite than unchained dogs. After reviewing data from reported bite cases, researchers concluded that the majority of these dog bites could be prevented by better training and adult supervision of children with dogs.

While the recent incident involving John Heller shows no fault whatsoever on his guardian's end, the fact that black labs do not commonly live in the wild suggests that the attacking dog did belong to a human at one time. Any persons with information on the individual who was responsible for the animal are encouraged to contact the Pennridge police department.

And I am not your friend, you don't make the grade.

That is outstanding you are correct I deserve better thanks for pointing that out friend. The lab the cop shot didn't need to be shot.

Glad you were able to find the exception. But not a pure lab a mixed breed

I see that it is very easy to sit on your chair and be a Monday morning quarterback...I was not there and the cop was, and he believed that the dog needed shooting, end of story.

Wait a minute...you weren't there either!

Let me guess, you breed Labs.
And neither that or any other of the news clippings on the internet have any bearing on the fact that the dogs up the road are vicious.
But you go right on in your belief that they aren't.
And neither that or any other of the news clippings on the internet have any bearing on the fact that the dogs up the road are vicious.

I didn't say they were or were not viscous you are now putting words in my mouth.

I didn't say they were or were not viscous you are now putting words in my mouth.

No...YOU did that.

And by stating that you called me a liar, and have done so without ever having seen the dogs yourself.

Good on yah!
Now I realise that we all make silly statements when we feel strongly about things, and it would appear that you do.

So out of courtesy I am happy to overlook you insinuating that I am a liar.

(God knows I am guilty of jumping the gun myself)

Have a nice day.

No...YOU did that.

And by stating that you called me a liar, and have done so without ever having seen the dogs yourself.

Good on yah!

No I did not call you a liar I questioned your knowledge you again are jumping to conclusions again.

You are slow...okay.

"Sir, I believe that you are mistaken in your belief" is questioning.

"BS labs aren't viscous, just as I thought you are clueless", is most definitely calling into question my honesty, particularly when you have not seen the animals in question.

Now please be nice and go play in the sand pit with the other children.
That cop knows nothing about dogs or how to interact with them

Yep. Afraid of dogs.

And the one I woulda been most worried about was the fast yellow one running around the edges, I figure the fat older black one was just all bark.

As people pointed out, any number of options existed here.

Since there was no suspicions of this being a crime scene whatever I woulda just waited a couple of minutes to see if the ruckus drew out the homeowner.

Birdwatcher

I think this cop should take a stroll around Browning, MT.

Travis
Originally Posted by whelenndealin
Once more:

confused

Not under the owner's control, of course.

My dog is in my backyard right now. It has an 8' metal fence on the sides and back. When I take her out of there, she is on a leash even though she responds to my voice commands about as well as any dog I know.

If a cop shoots her, he is clearly trespassing or shooting a leashed dog.

Any time you would like to test your theory about the dogs or my own disposition I would be very pleased to oblige you.

You talk real big from the security of extreme distance.
You are slow...okay.

"BS labs aren't viscous, just as I thought you are clueless", is most definitely calling into question my honesty, particularly when you have not seen the animals in question.

No the statement does not call into question your honesty, it calls into question your knowledge of animals. You posted a link to back up your claim of viscous labs and the dog in the link was a mixed breed not a lab
Again labs are vicious in my 63 years not talk mixed breeds you ALS stated that the 2 you spoke of are behind a fence. Are if they are mixed breeds then any thing is possible. You take a lot for granted.

Why don't you just let it go.

You talk real big from the security of extreme distance.

Really, then please feel free to make the distance shorter.
What a clown!
What a clown!

Yeah, yeah...blah blah blah.

You are slow...okay.

No the statement does not call into question your honesty, it calls into question your knowledge of animals. You posted a link to back up your claim of viscous labs and the dog in the link was a mixed breed not a lab
Again labs are vicious in my 63 years not talk mixed breeds you ALS stated that the 2 you spoke of are behind a fence. Are if they are mixed breeds then any thing is possible. You take a lot for granted.

Because at the moment you are amusing, slow, but amusing...particularly when you have not seen the animals in question.

Travis

The locals would take care of that retarded cop in no time.

I don't mind a few (harmless)stray dogs roaming around town. And Lord knows we have a few.

Helps to keep uppity, yuppie, outta state transplants from moving into town.

I'll take Rez dogs over bitchy lib transplants any day!

Travis

I don't mind a few (harmless)stray dogs roaming around town. And Lord knows we have a few.

Helps to keep yuppie, outta state transplants from moving into town.

The local town council here has taken care of that, they catch the animal and fine for the first couple of offenses...then destroy animal if it happens again, it seems to be working as there is very little dog shyte on the footpaths and I haven't seen a lone wandering dog for some months.
That and the serious piggers here have their animals locked in large cages.

Travis

I always laugh when I drive through Browning. I have never seen so many stray dogs in my life as I see in that town. They all seem pretty docile, but holy schit... there are gobs of them.

Travis
Well, one thing is for sure, that kid will never forget that particular birthday party and he'll never feel the same way about cops again.
... bitchy lib transplants any day!

Actually, it would be more than a little fun to drop a few bitchy lib transplants in the middle of Browning. If they emerged alive, I'll bet some of their political attitudes will have changed�.. grin
You are probably right.

I always laugh when I drive through Browning. I have never seen so many stray dogs in my life as I see in that town. They all seem pretty docile, but holy schit... there are gobs of them.

Travis

No Chinese huh?
Whenever wife and I drive though town we count dogs. It's become a running joke.

One day we counted 5-6 in one 'pack'. Little dogs all the way up to some big goofy dogs.

Need to start taking pics.

All friendly dogs, no pits or aggressive chit dogs allowed on the Rez. Actually a law against it. And amazingly enough it must be enforced, haven't heard of anyone getting bit since we've lived here(knock on wood).

Travis

Travis

I don't think that is phenomenal when you consider a "rez" is involved. I see that here in this state.
Here's a story on one of those vicious Chesapeakes
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...icer-police-officer-officer-rodney-price
Just too many of these executions happening. It's going to turn out bad for some cop soon
Just too many of these executions happening. It's going to turn out bad for some cop soon

I ain't reading a link, but you just showed how much you know about dogs.
I'm thinking that these should be standard issue to all cops.

[Linked Image]

That and a box of Twinkies would probably handle anything they would encounter in Oregon.

I ain't reading a link, but you just showed how much you know about dogs.

Haven't gotten bit yet by a doggie wagging it's tail
You are slow...okay.

Because at the moment you are amusing, slow, but amusing...particularly when you have not seen the animals in question.

Calling me slow is akin to calling Carl Lewis slow a look in the mirror will do wonders
Again I said labs aren't know for being viscous and you don't seem to differentiate them from mixed breeds

Fair enough, but I've never seen my dogs on a bite NOT wag their tails.

George
Fair enough, but I've never seen my dogs on a bite NOT wag their tails.

George

You both may have a point George. Our dogs ( yours-n-mine) wag their tails on a bite because they've been trained in prey drive, its all fun and games. Dogs in defensive drive bite out of fear, and are not happy to be doing so.These are untrained, fearful dogs�..also uncontrollable on a bite. Dog in prey drive is still controllable, as you well know.

Not so many stray cats, I guess.
Absolutely, just pointing out that speaking of dogs in absolutes gets us nowhere. There are as many azzhole dogs, of all breeds, as there are azzhole owners.
That and a box of Twinkies would probably handle anything they would encounter in Oregon.

laugh
There are as many azzhole dogs, of all breeds, as there are azzhole owners.

And ordinarily available in a 1 to 1 ratio grin

Calling me slow is akin to calling Carl Lewis slow a look in the mirror will do wonders
Again I said labs aren't know for being viscous and you don't seem to differentiate them from mixed breeds

Not only are you slow you seem to have a bad memory.
I'm really trying to restrain myself from asking what level of viscosity labs are at�

OOooops! blush
I have been wondering that for a while, but apparently I am not slow enough to know the answer.

I remember clearly, but coming to a logical conclusion isn't your strong suite I see

In my limited experience the barking dog is rarely anything to worry about. It is the snarling dog or worse yet, the dog that makes no sound at all that you have to worry about.

I was jogging recently and a dog came out of its yard and was right on top of me before it ever barked and/or growled and would have gotten me in the arse if I hadn't seen it at the last moment and kind of hopped. We had a standoff for 30 seconds or so and it finally retreated. I continued on jogging, and a 150 yards down the road or so looked back just to make sure. That joker was coming at me as fast as he could with his ears and tail down making no sound whatsoever. I turned around and went at him and he retreated. THAT was a dog that would have bitten me.

Barking dogs, I ignore.
In my limited experience the barking dog is rarely anything to worry about. It is the snarling dog or worse yet, the dog that makes no sound at all that you have to worry about.

I was jogging recently and a dog came out of its yard and was right on top of me before it ever barked and/or growled and would have gotten me in the arse if I hadn't seen it at the last moment and kind of hopped. We had a standoff for 30 seconds or so and it finally retreated. I continued on jogging, and a 150 yards down the road or so looked back just to make sure. That joker was coming at me as fast as he could with his ears and tail down making no sound whatsoever. I turned around and went at him and he retreated. THAT was a dog that would have bitten me.

Barking dogs, I ignore.

If that officer would have held his cool and let the dog smell him things would have worked out much more harmonious for all concerned. I have been around more aggressive dogs than that and did not need to shoot them

Barking dogs, I ignore.

If that officer would have held his cool and let the dog smell him things would have worked out much more harmonious for all concerned. I have been around more aggressive dogs than that and did not need to shoot them

That is the thing, dogs are dumb animals. They don't know that when the officer is posturing and acting threatening that they are about to get shot, they only know that when someone acts that way, they need to act as big and bad as they can to scare off the intruder. Dumb meets dumb and the dumb with the gun wins.

I'd at least sit up for a box of Twinkies. Might even roll over.

Barking dogs, I ignore.

That is the thing, dogs are dumb animals. They don't know that when the officer is posturing and acting threatening that they are about to get shot, they only know that when someone acts that way, they need to act as big and bad as they can to scare off the intruder. Dumb meets dumb and the dumb with the gun wins.

And then antagonize it by trying to kick it. Just like poking a stick in a bee's nest.
It always helps to talk to dogs, whether you are being threatening and asserting your dominance or talking softly to let them know you are not a threat. Either will work in certain situations, but just standing there and looking threatening is guaranteed to get the kind of response you saw in that video.

That's what I'm sayin'
It always helps to talk to dogs, whether you are being threatening and asserting your dominance or talking softly to let them know you are not a threat. Either will work in certain situations, but just standing there and looking threatening is guaranteed to get the kind of response you saw in that video.

It always helps to talk to all animals and to remain calm, that settles a potentially bad situation down quickly

I remember clearly, but coming to a logical conclusion isn't your strong suite I see

On the contrary, I have concluded that you can neither correct nor admit your mistakes, you have an overblown regard for your supposed "Carl Lewis" intellect...and you don't know shyte about biting dogs.

Have a nice life, I am going to bed.

On the contrary, I have concluded that you can neither correct nor admit your mistakes, you have an overblown regard for your supposed "Carl Lewis" intellect...and you don't know shyte about biting dogs.

Have a nice life, I am going to bed.

Thanks for proving my point
Dumb meets dumb and the dumb with the gun wins.

Close but it's actually more like,,,, dumb ass calls cops on dumb ass neighbor who's letting his dumb ass dog run loose resulting in a dumb ass cop being dispatched who unnecessarily shoots the dumb ass dog,,, ultimately resulting in 30+ pages of dumb ass bickering and BS.

Sure makes me glad I live in a part of the country where people don't let vicious dogs run loose, don't freak out at the sight of a dog that isn't theirs, and (probably because it's a rural setting) realize they'll likely be confronted and held responsible for their actions whether it's letting their dogs trespass or shooting a neighbors pet.
Not doing chit to cause the cops (good or bad) to show up at your place goes a long way too.

I've got dogs running around my shack who's biggest danger are snakes, P-Pines, and getting run over running out to meet the UPS gal knowing that she travels with a pocket full of dog treats she uses to barter with threatening dogs. Some loud barking is usually all it takes to extract a treat or two from her but occasionally they'll have to resort to some aggressive tail wagging.

A very entertaining thread though so please don't stop on my account.
A guy who lives in my brother's neighborhood found out that there are different rules for cops and regular people.

There was a neighbor's dog who kept getting out and getting into his yard and acting aggressively. He talked to the neighbor about it to no avail. After that, he talked to the cops and they did nothing. Then, one day said dog bites his five year old daughter while she is in her own yard. So, the guy does what any red blooded American does and chases that dog down and shoots his arse dead right there.

Guy was charged with felony cruelty to animals.

Where I live most if not all let their dogs run lose some are extremely large and they don't seem to get shot.

Where I live most if not all let their dogs run lose some are extremely large and they don't seem to get shot.

Not unless they need it and few need it.

Agreed
A guy who lives in my brother's neighborhood found out that there are different rules for cops and regular people.

There was a neighbor's dog who kept getting out and getting into his yard and acting aggressively. He talked to the neighbor about it to no avail. After that, he talked to the cops and they did nothing. Then, one day said dog bites his five year old daughter while she is in her own yard. So, the guy does what any red blooded American does and chases that dog down and shoots his arse dead right there.

Guy was charged with felony cruelty to animals.
That's a standard charge for anyone who shoots a dog, no matter how warranted the shooting ... unless you're a cop, in which case it's all "within department policy."
only a sample of one, but the worst dog bite I've received to date was from a Chocolate lab.

told the folks to get it restrained and get the F outa there with it. White mountains, I was riding solo on a snowmachine and two folks skiing with the lab running loose.

Once more:

confused

Not under the owner's control, of course.

My dog is in my backyard right now. It has an 8' metal fence on the sides and back. When I take her out of there, she is on a leash even though she responds to my voice commands about as well as any dog I know.

If a cop shoots her, he is clearly trespassing or shooting a leashed dog.

If you've hunted over dogs, do you keep them on a leash too?

I always thought lot of stray dogs was a Southern thing, leastways dead dogs on the highway are more common in the South.

I figured it was because of climate; hard winters knocking out stray dogs and cats in cold climates.

I could be wrong I guess.

Birdwatcher

Between walking my own dogs and now, bicycling, I run into a lot of loose dogs down here too. A lot of 'em growl and bark, very few try to press home an attack.

I call 'em all "Rover" and talk to them. Usually body language and loud "NO!" and "BAD DOG!" makes 'em retreat if needed, or at least keep their distance. And on a bike, I always stop and confront them if'n theyr'e looking to chase me.

Having a 12oz can of bear spray in reserve doesn't hurt either. I've used bear spray seven or eight times over about the last twelve years, in most every case it was the sudden 20ft blast that appeared to startle and turn aside the inbound dog rather than the capsasin itself.

Always helps too to intitiate the confrontation early if the dog in question ain't seen you yet.

Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I always thought lot of stray dogs was a Southern thing, leastways dead dogs on the highway are more common in the South.

I figured it was because of climate; hard winters knocking out stray dogs and cats in cold climates.

Birdwatcher

Mike,

Loose dogs in Alaska villages is a real problem. Enough that the locals will often shoot them on sight.

Ed
I have not read the entire thread, so this may be redundant.

The same cop was involved in a fatal shooting of a person in the spring, of a guy in an apparent psychotic episode:

Officers located May driving along U.S. Highway 93 in Twin Falls County, and he tried to ditch them in a high-speed chase. Spike strips helped eventually bring May�s car to a stop. Hassani approached the car but had trouble seeing inside, as its windows were tinted. Concerned that May would use a weapon or use his car as a weapon, Hassani fired one shot through the driver�s-side front window.

Sorry, but I don't think this guy should be a cop.
[Linked Image]
I'll have to remember never to bark if I'm ever about to be arrested. laugh

Gunner
The police dept needs to fire that idiot for his own good.

He's used up more goodwill than anybody gets allocated.
Yup, he's gonna bring trouble to the dept.

Gunner
Do the humans have the option of backing down in such a situation, or was there an imminent threat necessitating a sustained advance?

I see two parties at fault here. 1. The dogs were not confined or controlled, and 2. The officer could have backed down and called or waited for the owner to appear.

Either would have prevented the event. I'd say both were at fault and should receive identical punishments.

Between walking my own dogs and now, bicycling, I run into a lot of loose dogs down here too. A lot of 'em growl and bark, very few try to press home an attack.

I call 'em all "Rover" and talk to them. Usually body language and loud "NO!" and "BAD DOG!" makes 'em retreat if needed, or at least keep their distance. And on a bike, I always stop and confront them if'n theyr'e looking to chase me.

Having a 12oz can of bear spray in reserve doesn't hurt either. I've used bear spray seven or eight times over about the last twelve years, in most every case it was the sudden 20ft blast that appeared to startle and turn aside the inbound dog rather than the capsasin itself.

Always helps too to intitiate the confrontation early if the dog in question ain't seen you yet.

Birdwatcher

Agreed

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mog75
I'm not a cop hater, but that one should loose his job. The few bad apples who are leos are making all of them look bad. Aggressive black lab? I doubt it. I've never had one that wasn't extremely protective though if he thought someone was a threat. When the cop started kicking dogs he put the dog into protective "aggressive " mode himself. Maybe police just need to be trained better in dealing with dogs? I'm not sure but it's making them look very bad.

I agree with this ,because also if it were a judgement call,he really kinda blew it,so what if another scenario , say with a human life. Appears the cop was a total moron,needs a beatin' IMO.

My experience has been the same. Except for a very rare thug of a dog, those that are not trained to attack generally won't unless you show weakness. A sudden forward posture and an angry shout will turn most aggressive-acting dogs back to where they feel safe.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Great post! laugh

I get that X 7 every night, when I walk through the door. It never gets old. wink
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
[Linked Image]
That sort of sign is sadly becoming a necessity.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That dog is clearly vicious.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That dog is clearly vicious.

Obviously.
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Birdwatcher

Mike,

Loose dogs in Alaska villages is a real problem. Enough that the locals will often shoot them on sight.

Ed
The White Mountain Apache Res. has the same problem with strays. whistle
Its not just the shooting, but the unprofessional conduct he displayed to a citizen, dropping the f, bomb??? Really??? Yelling and rambling and wanting to "start over".

With his rationale that the dog was being aggressive and he had to shoot it, then Mr. Clubb should've shot Mr. Hassani for yelling and showing aggression.
The White Mountain Apache Res. has the same problem with strays.

Dittos the Upper San Pedro

......their numbers including some BAD actors.

GTC
Originally Posted by dedity
Its not just the shooting, but the unprofessional conduct he displayed to a citizen, dropping the f, bomb??? Really??? Yelling and rambling and wanting to "start over".

With his rationale that the dog was being aggressive and he had to shoot it, then Mr. Clubb should've shot Mr. Hassani for yelling and showing aggression.

I'm not going anywhere NEAR the bizarre event in the OP. sick

Do have this to say,....

Any "Agency" that retains this "Hassani" clown for anything but un-armed janitorial work bears watching, by it's taxpayers.

No "good" will come from his carrying badge and arms into the future.

GTC
I've passed the million mile mark - according to my knees - following Pointers or hog dogs, and of course they weren't leashed.

But..... just like in my backyard....... a cop would have been trespassing if he even SAW my dogs, much less shoot them.

And the dogs were subject to my whistle commands, so they were under my control.

In this present incident, if the owner had his dog in view and could call him to some to him, it ain't likely the cop would have shot the dog.
Dumb meets dumb and the dumb with the gun wins.

Close but it's actually more like,,,, dumb ass calls cops on dumb ass neighbor who's letting his dumb ass dog run loose resulting in a dumb ass cop being dispatched who unnecessarily shoots the dumb ass dog,,, ultimately resulting in 30+ pages of dumb ass bickering and BS.

Sure makes me glad I live in a part of the country where people don't let vicious dogs run loose, don't freak out at the sight of a dog that isn't theirs, and (probably because it's a rural setting) realize they'll likely be confronted and held responsible for their actions whether it's letting their dogs trespass or shooting a neighbors pet.
Not doing chit to cause the cops (good or bad) to show up at your place goes a long way too.

I've got dogs running around my shack who's biggest danger are snakes, P-Pines, and getting run over running out to meet the UPS gal knowing that she travels with a pocket full of dog treats she uses to barter with threatening dogs. Some loud barking is usually all it takes to extract a treat or two from her but occasionally they'll have to resort to some aggressive tail wagging.

A very entertaining thread though so please don't stop on my account.

I took my kids for a walk a few weeks back on some public land. There was a car parked in the parking area of the public land so I did what I always do and avoided them. I parked down the road about 300yds away from them so they could have their family time, or get high, or whatever they were doing.

My 12 year old son gets out, and runs to the top of a steep hill. My 6 year old daughter stays with me. I let our lab out and he heels and stays by me. He is not leashed but has his shock collar on. I immediately hear somebody yelling "Come back" and the light bulb went on. There was a dog hauling ass toward us. I heeled my lab and kept my daughter next to me. Sure as schit stinks, a heeler/pit/mutt/POS pops out of the grass and doesn't make a sound. Just stares at us. My dog stays and the POS comes closer. I can see the guy in the parking area jump into his car and drive toward us. At that time another vehicle hauls ass down the dirt road and the POS dog gives chase to that car. Owner pulls up next to me. I ask him "Why are you stopping here? go get your dog."

At that time his dog realizes he can't catch the car so he runs back toward us. The entire time the owner is yelling and the dog won't stop. I tell my dog to heel and although it is killing him he does. My daughter stays behind me this whole time. The POS dog runs directly at us and is barking and growling. My dog has had enough and steps up. They start to circle and both are trying to latch onto one another. I have my girl and she of course is priority #1 so I stay back with her. At the same time I unsnap my holster and tell the owner of the POS "I'm going go shoot your dog if he latches onto my lab." The owner of the POS (to his credit) dives in and starts trying to get them apart. I tell him again "Hurry up or I'm shooting him." He replies "I can get him."

He does get his dog separated and after I yell at my lab to heel he does. I check my dog and there was no damage. Then I told the owner of the POS "If you cannot control your goddammmed dog you need to use a leash, sir!" He apologizes and asks if my dog is ok. I told him again any dog owner that can't control their dog or has a dog that is that aggressive should not own a pet. My parting words were something relating to "[bleep] bullschit" and "You can leave now."

Anyway, you just never know what you're going to run into, or where. But in my opinion dog owners have become pretty discourteous in recent years.

Travis
But in my opinion dog owners have become pretty discourteous in recent years.

Yeah, and some of them are a lot more aggressive than the guy in your story.
Three of my four dogs are dangerous. Two of them (Catahoulas) are animal aggressive and one (Aussie) is protective of his territory. It is my job to make sure they are where they are supposed to be.
Originally Posted by tjm10025
But in my opinion dog owners have become pretty discourteous in recent years.

Yeah, and some of them are a lot more aggressive than the guy in your story.

I think the only reason that guy behaved the way he did was because I had kids with me, and I was armed.

Otherwise I would bet he was proud of that feral POS he calls a pet.

Travis
My old blue heeler loved to fight dogs. He almost always got his arse whipped but he loved it anyway. It was hilarious. He used to follow my dad down to check the cows and he would always go out of his way to fight a neighbor dog. He would get his arse whipped and try it again. Finally, they reached an understanding. They simply did not acknowledge each other and that way they could both keep their "honor" without fighting. The heeler could walk 50 feet from that dog sitting right out in its front yard, and they would make an elaborate show of both looking the other way and pretending to be interested in something else, until my dog moved on down the road following my dad. It was a great lesson in dog diplomacy.
Undstood. My Catahoulas are brothers, weighing 110/115bs. They take turns whipping each others ass all the time. Hell of team when they have something to gang up on though.
Three of my four dogs are dangerous. Two of them (Catahoulas) are animal aggressive and one (Aussie) is protective of his territory. It is my job to make sure they are where they are supposed to be.

You can be my neighbour any time...and heelers are like that.
Thank you. My only neighbor has two German Shepherds and two Mastiffs. We haven't had a burglar yet...not that we can find. smile
Both of my parent's heelers have bit me. I always tell them that if they go before the dogs, I'm going to Benelli those [bleep].

Travis
I hear heelers are really smart.
Both of my parent's heelers have bit me. I always tell them that if they go before the dogs, I'm going to Benelli those [bleep].

Travis

They do that, most come from the rear and hit the legs, my Molly dropped her rear quarter down a bit and went straight for the target with her teeth clunking together until she got them, she was extremely protective and I made damn sure I kept control of her.

The last fellow she grabbed leapt back with his arm in the air and was as white as a ghost, as she had fanged him from wrist to elbow...fortunately she had no teeth from playing with tennis balls (wore them down).

The fellow's reply when I told him was "but she bloody well MEANT it"...he said it with feeling.

She is the one animal I miss.

ps, the fellow walked up on the blind side of my vehicle in the dark.
Oh, and when Molly was eying someone off she just stood there looking at them with absolutely no outward sign until she dropped her arse and took off at them.

No barking or snarling...all bite.
...fortunately she had no teeth from playing with tennis balls (wore them down).

You've got some tough tennis balls down under.
Heck I am bored and on a roll.

One time I was sitting on the toilet when I heard my wife yell "MOLLY NO", at the sound I yelled at the top of my voice "MOLLY SIT", after I had finished I went outside and found my wife standing still watching one of the neighbours teenage lads standing beside the house with a football in his hands and Molly sitting at his feet just looking at the very still and pale lad.
Apparently Molly had heard him when he came into the yard to get the football he had kicked over the fence, and when Molly went for him my wife had called out but Molly ran straight around her and kept going for the lad with her teeth clunking all the way, when I yelled out she had reached him and sat right at his feet with one paw just touching his foot...which he had not moved.

The lad never kicked the ball over the fence again.

Did I mention that I miss her?

Good dogs are very difficult to replace if not impossible.
Originally Posted by tjm10025
...fortunately she had no teeth from playing with tennis balls (wore them down).

You've got some tough tennis balls down under.

No, just went through an awful lot of them as she kept tearing them to pieces, a hard basket ball lasted better but she just kept at it until she tore them to pieces too.

Typical Smithfield.

Good dogs are very difficult to replace if not impossible.

You are not wrong there.

In one's life one will meet a lot of good people, see a few good horses, but will on average only own one good dog.

The rest have a short shelf life.

I think the only reason that guy behaved the way he did was because I had kids with me, and I was armed.

Otherwise I would bet he was proud of that feral POS he calls a pet.

Travis

I don't think I'd take that bet Travis.
For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would keep a vicious dog around. And the stupidest part is they usually keep em in urban areas where the chances of a train wreck go from maybe to when. All anyone really needs for security is a dog to alert them of a trespasser/danger and even the most useless dog'll usually do that.
On the other hand, everyone knows that nothing good ever comes of a dogfight but they do happen once in a while. (Hell my two female dogs are the friendliest pair to man or other dogs that you ever met but every now and then they'll tie into each other for god only knows what reason.) That still doesn't justify keeping a dog around that has to be restrained/contained 24/7 for fear another dog (or even worse a kid) might cross their path.

I'm not a psychologist but I'm pretty confident in saying that most dogs are just a reflection of their owner.
IE; dumb ass useless dog ====== dumb ass useless owner.
Yes sir.

Travis

They will look adorable when they're filled with some #4.

Travis
Nice.

I'll bring the battery operated clay machine for you and the competition. You bring your old semi, not a new one.

They will look adorable when they're filled with some #4.

Travis

my guess is the folks have trained those dogs to attack your picture eek

I'm thinking heelers and parents are really smart! shocked

I'll save you the typing, I'm off to GFMyself blush

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would keep a vicious dog around.

Me either.
Ted was safe anywhere....
Except around ice cream and birdies...
[Linked Image][/URL][/img]

[Linked Image][/URL][/img]
Gonna have my brother open the kennel. And when they come-a-runnin'.... BANG!BANG!

Travis

Are they going to be chewing on your brother when he lets them out?
am thinking NOT tim, my guess is his brother was the kid they liked (griN)
am thinking NOT tim, my guess is his brother was the kid they liked (griN)

I don't know, it sounds like they like Travis just fine.
Y'all might want to click on the original link. It's been updated with more info.

I wasn't in the cops shoes but it did appear the dogs weren't dangerous. My job requires me to be on or near property with dogs often. We carry Milkbones in the trucks as peace offerings. I've had numerous cases with dogs acting like that when we first show up. I just take my time and show them I mean no harm. Perhaps they can sense I'm a dog lover (I can hardly bring myself to shoot coyotes), but they always end up being friendly by the end of the day.

I've had several that got too friendly and would try to climb in the cab of the truck! We had one job we worked at off and on for a month or two and when the neighbor dogs (in this case three of them) heard the airbrakes set they would come tearing around the corner for their treats with big ass grins in their faces!

Anyway, the point I'm making is the cop could've handled it better but ultimately it's the douchbag owner's fault. As some on here have mentioned,show me a bad dog and I'll show you a worse human (owner)...
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Y'all might want to click on the original link. It's been updated with more info.

I wasn't in the cops shoes but it did appear the dogs weren't dangerous. My job requires me to be on or near property with dogs often. We carry Milkbones in the trucks as peace offerings. I've had numerous cases with dogs acting like that when we first show up. I just take my time and show them I mean no harm. Perhaps they can sense I'm a dog lover (I can hardly bring myself to shoot coyotes), but they always end up being friendly by the end of the day.

I've had several that got too friendly and would try to climb in the cab of the truck! We had one job we worked at off and on for a month or two and when the neighbor dogs (in this case three of them) heard the airbrakes set they would come tearing around the corner for their treats with big ass grins in their faces!

Anyway, the point I'm making is the cop could've handled it better but ultimately it's the douchbag owner's fault. As some on here have mentioned,show me a bad dog and I'll show you a worse human (owner)...
The link says that some of the dog owner's friends or relatives were concerned about the dog that got shot and his behavior around their kids. The dog's owner told them he lived alone though, so it wasn't a concern. Other people said the two dogs routinely ran loose but their owner denied it.

I said before, I was more concerned about the officer's behavior after the shooting. I don't get him going to the door of a house and demanding to see the home owner's ID and threatening the owner with jail if he doesn't comply. The dog shooting was totally unnecessary any way you look at it because the cop could have sat there and called dispatch for the homeowner's phone number or had them call the homeowner in order for him to control his animals before the cop ever got out of the cruiser. Whether the shooting was necessary to prevent the officer from being bitten is beyond my capability to discern, but the whole thing definitely was easily avoidable. Oh well, now the guy who was probably most at-fault, the homeowner, can probably make a hundred grand and the policeman can look for a more suitable line of work. I don't think dogcatcher is in his employment future either.
That was stupid on the officers part as much as the dog's owner. Dog should have been put up I agree, officer should be fired if he wasn't. Defend cops all you want, there are good and bad ones all the same. I've met several that I liked and some that are scum of the earth. People is all they are and vary just like the rest of us. Having a badge doesn't make them right. wink

No, the cop didn't have a choice regarding whether to show up or not. His departmental policy I'm sure dictates that all calls from anyone needing assistance will be answered. He could have ignored it if he saw the dog loose, but no one called to complain.

Bullshidt.
Originally Posted by raybass
That was stupid on the officers part as much as the dog's owner. Dog should have been put up I agree, officer should be fired if he wasn't. Defend cops all you want, there are good and bad ones all the same. I've met several that I liked and some that are scum of the earth. People is all they are and vary just like the rest of us. Having a badge doesn't make them right. wink
Precisely why no post like what we today term "law enforcement officer" should be permitted to exist in a society claiming to be free.
I [bleep] hate loose dogs. In town or out of town. If it's your property I don't GAF, keep it there. If it's public land and you're hunting cool. Outside of that keep the [bleep] thing on a leash. Or go exercise your mutt somewhere nobody else has to deal with them.
I [bleep] hate loose dogs. In town or out of town. If it's your property I don't GAF, keep it there. If it's public land and you're hunting cool. Outside of that keep the [bleep] thing on a leash. Or go exercise your mutt somewhere nobody else has to deal with them.

Well duh...only an idiot would think otherwise.
Amazing concept that many many fail to understand. "he listens to me!" "he's cute" blah blah blah
Originally Posted by MojoHand

I've had several that got too friendly and would try to climb in the cab of the truck!

This sounds like the rez hound pup I picked up out of the ditch. I will never make that mistake again...

That dog is unlike anything I've ever known. Total dipchit.

Constantly roaming, sniffing, doing what hound dogs do I guess. I hate it, offered again this morning to shoot the bastard but my dad isn't quite that harsh anymore.

We work cows and I just leave him in the pickup so he doesn't distract the heeler.

Guy comes down and cuts firewood and of course the hound follows him around like they are long lost friends, rides in his pickup...

And it's not like the dog is bored. Unlike a lot of dogs who spend 95% of their life tied up or in a cage we actually take them along with us everyday.

Just can't stand the roaming, hate it. Maybe we need to get him one of those wireless fence setups.
Sam...I love hounds, but won't own one. I can't stand that vagabond thing. I worry too much.
Pat, it must just be in their nature? Anyway to 'train' the roaming out of him?

Worst part is the heeler puppy dog follows the hound everywhere.

They will run down to the river bottom and be gone for an hour or two at a time, which of course is not good. He will be walking next to you one minute and a few seconds later is long gone. Have to watch him like a hawk.

They stay on the farm most all the time but you never know, some trespassing deviate could shoot them.

Man, hounds just go. You can shock collar 'em, but if they get out of range, the best you can hope for is that they don't get killed before you find them.

The close minded nature of people never ceases to amaze me. If someone wants to take a dog for a walk off a leash on a local parcel of public property that's over 10,000 continuous acres then so be it. How bout some common sense.
No problem...long as your dog minds his manners. Runs up on somebody else in that "public" land that feels threatened, you are responsible for him getting shot.
Y'all remember Cisco, the heeled that got shot in Texas a while back? He had his own "justice for Cisco" Facebook page and everything. Until all the people that dog had bitten and harassed over the years came forward. It was awesome.
Y'all humor me....What do you think the owner will get paid for his dead dog?
No problem...long as your dog minds his manners. Runs up on somebody else in that "public" land that feels threatened, you are responsible for him getting shot.

This is refreshing, someone who gets it!

And I'll add, you're responsible for your actions, just as much as the dog owner is for themselves and their dog.
The world (ie public land) is not your pet's litterbox or [bleep] playpen. You want fido? Awesome. Keep him on your property or on leash. Or go exercise him somewhere other people are unlikely to have to deal with him. Just because you think he's cute doesn't mean I will.
When Rover pays taxes he's welcome to dump all over the park as far as I'm concerned.
His owner probably already does.
The world (ie public land) is not your pet's litterbox or [bleep] playpen. You want fido? Awesome. Keep him on your property or on leash. Or go exercise him somewhere other people are unlikely to have to deal with him. Just because you think he's cute doesn't mean I will.

If it's public land, it's not against the law, and owner takes responsibility for actions then what is the problem?

Some people want it their way or the highway.
Hunting or just out for a walk I don't leash my dogs but they always have a shock collar and if we encounter somebody else I make them heel until away from them.

A lot of dogs aren't as controlled on a leash as mine are off leash.

If it's public land, it's not against the law, and owner takes responsibility for actions then what is the problem?

Some people want it their way or the highway.

No problem at all. In theory it sounds great, but in practice the percentage of people that can actually control their animals off leash is small IME. And taking responsibility is good, even better when it's done before there's a problem involving the dog.

If somebody can't control their dog on leash, then I don't care as long as they don't let go of the leash! grin

The country is fool of prissy corksuckers that thing precious fido holds the same value as me. Or my family. I love my dogs, but dogs are dogs and they aren't people. That fact is lost on many, just read these dumbass threads.

No problem at all. In theory it sounds great, but in practice the percentage of people that can actually control their animals off leash is small IME. And taking responsibility is good, even better when it's done before there's a problem involving the dog.

If somebody can't control their dog on leash, then I don't care as long as they don't let go of the leash! grin

The country is fool of prissy corksuckers that thing precious fido holds the same value as me. Or my family. I love my dogs, but dogs are dogs and they aren't people. That fact is lost on many, just read these dumbass threads.

Fair enough, I can agree with that.

It's also full of people that think we need more laws.

I'll admit that the areas I'm talking about are huge continuous tracts, but what I'm trying to get at is the one size doesn't fit all approach. If someone can hunt birds with a dog off the leash in October, they should be able to take him for walk in May.
If someone can hunt birds with a dog off the leash in October, they should be able to take him for walk in May.

Or run 'em behind their bike through the city.....

[Linked Image]

Not hard to do with heelers or the heeler-sheepdog mutts thereof.

I am fortunate in that I live in a part of town where the Cops got more pressing concerns than mere leash laws and where folks ain't inclined to involve Cops unless it rises to the level of actual crimes.

I do understand that loose dogs scare/bother folks, in this part of town because people are used to mean/unsocialized yard dogs, and in the more upscale parts of town because folks have the time/inclination to obsess about petty things.

This board is full of dog people and so is better informed than the general public. Most folks out there however have no clue as to the level of behavior/training good dogs are capable of and therefore ask/expect very little of their own dogs. Sad really.

Of course, I ain't talking hounds here....

Birdwatcher

Birdwatcher

laughing

Anyone want a 'good' hound dog?

Come and get him.

That's what I meant. We pay taxes for US to enjoy the land, not as a playground for somebody's crazy dog. As you've already said, people have started considering their dogs as part of their family, and it's crazy.

geez so I've taken a dump on public land a couple of hundred times blush

think of how I'm saving strain on the sewer system by not going back to town grin
As you've already said, people have started considering their dogs as part of their family, and it's crazy.

No more crazy than considering an attack dog as a law enforcement officer.

Put me in the crazy camp. I like my dog better than some members of my family. smile

Birdwatcher

laughing

Come and get him.

I think I just heard Mickey Coleman slam the door on his truck.

prepare for the arrival of an Alabama gunsmith Sam, thaw out some steaks, ole Mickey knows how to put a scald on em
Originally Posted by FlaRick
As you've already said, people have started considering their dogs as part of their family, and it's crazy.

Put me in the crazy camp. I like my dog better than some members of my family. smile

yaknow you got a point there, if some azzhat shoots a police dog doesn't the police dep't treat that with about the same severity as if you shot a uniformed policeman?

not sure but that could follow under that "two sets of different rules for different folks category"

and NO I'm not willing to shoot George's dog up in New Hampshire to find out! eek
Runs up on somebody else in that "public" land that feels threatened, you are responsible for him getting shot.

HEY!!! mad You shoot MY dog PUNK (I mean you, not the dog, I don't got a dog named "Punk", never have) and I'll......

.....oh I dunno, prob'ly get another one I expect.

Much as I cherish my dogs, they are after all still just dogs and yeah, if they get justifiably shot, it'll be my fault.

Birdwatcher

You have a valid point there....two in fact.

Couple of things....
Liking an animal more than a person is a sure sign of emotional immaturity. People only like animals more than other people because it's easier to like animals than it is people.

And treating a police dog like a police person is stupid too. I don't hope anybody's dog, police dog or otherwise, gets hurt tonight. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if it does happen.

Those cop dogs knew it was a dangerous job when they volunteered for it.

Liking an animal more than a person is a sure sign of emotional immaturity.

Well, Blue, you might feel otherwise if you met all of my family.

Those cop dogs knew it was a dangerous job when they volunteered for it.

lmao, you'se a sick puppy!

lmao . . . . . . same here

yaknow you got a point there, if some azzhat shoots a police dog doesn't the police dep't treat that with about the same severity as if you shot a uniformed policeman?

not sure but that could follow under that "two sets of different rules for different folks category"

and NO I'm not willing to shoot George's dog up in New Hampshire to find out! eek

Laffin'

In response......no, the killing of a PD K9 is not the same as killing an LEO (as is correct). I am also not authorized to utilize deadly force if I witness a suspect killing my K9. That said, it's going to be very difficult to determine which of us the suspect is trying to stab, etc. once I close the gap.

Dogs, even PD K9s, are dogs. If I have to choose between deploying Gipsy in a certain death situation or risking one of my guys......she loses.
George; just curious, in your policies and procedure manual, does the handler have the final say in the deployment of the dog in any given situation?
Yes, the handler has the final word. In reality nobody else, Chiefs included, have the knowledge of applicable case law to have it any other way. Then there's the issue of actually knowing how the dogs will react in a given circumstance.
Good. We have run into 'issues' where that hasn't been etched in stone�.
suit me just fine for your or Gipsy to never get shot or slashed by some azzhat POS, or for that matter even an upstanding citizen.

have always appreciated your mindset about your career and how your duties are best carried out, along with a bunch of the other really good LEO's on here.

toss Gipsy a treat from an ole transplanted redneck
This raises an interesting question; if the original story were a K-9 unit responding to two labs on the loose, how would things have gone down?
Dogs sometimes get real excited & act up,when they sense a guy is a real [bleep]. I've seen it many times before.
That cop needed to cover it up,right quick,his short comings
Originally Posted by mirage243

lmao . . . . . . same here

+3

And not only family. There's some sick sick people in this world.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
It's another case of some town hiring a dickweasel and the dickweasel doing what comes natural to him...dickweasling.

I kind of file this under "duh". Cops are grown up hall monitors who, for the most part, are employed to collect taxes from law abiding people under the guise of law enforcement and public safety. I know it, you know it, and they know it. Think speed traps and 3 digit tickets for California rolls. Doing the job requires and attracts a certain personality trait that you refer to as "dickweasel". Unfortunately, given the kind of society we (collectively) tolerate, we need someone just like that to deal with the occasional serious criminal threat because we no longer hang those types, and someone to enforce the eleventy billion chicken [bleep] laws that the leaders we elect impose upon us for the purpose of revenue collection.

Watching Officer Dick shoot the dog was hard. I would much prefer it had been a mouthy gang banger. He obviously had a big yellow streak up his back the dog could smell which egged it on. How hard would it have been for Officer Dick, admittedly afraid of the dog, to contact the guy in the house over his blow horn or have someone at the PD do it by phone? Also, most people tend to look out the window when they hear a police siren coming from their front yard. Somehow, the dog owner could have been contacted, told to get his azz out and restrain his dogs, after which Officer Weasel could have safely exited his vehicle and issued the ticket. Lots of ways the situation could have been handled better by anyone with enough common sense to pour piss out of a boot. Hopefully he gets fired but chances are he won't. They tend to look out for each other.
Dogs sometimes get real excited & act up,when they sense a guy is a real [bleep].

The little 8 pound Jack Russel mix I had could spot off-duty Cops at the range every time, ain't saying them Cops were [bleep]s but maybe it was something in their body language got him PO'd.

Stopped bringing him for that reason.

Birdwatcher

Birdwatcher

laughing

Come and get him.

prepare for the arrival of an Alabama gunsmith Sam, thaw out some steaks, ole Mickey knows how to put a scald on em

Sweet Randy, let me go find the hound!

This has been a very interesting and surprising thread.

Put me the 'crazy' camp, I would honestly rather hang out with the dogs than most people. Obviously I value a good dog's life more than some lazy, breeding, lowlife degenerate human.

Call me crazy but I think there is just about as much human cull as there is dog cull. I'm not arrogant enough to think otherwise, some people are the worst animals on the planet.

Birdwatcher

laughing

Come and get him.

Sweet Randy, let me go find the hound!

This has been a very interesting and surprising thread.

Put me the 'crazy' camp, I would honestly rather hang out with the dogs than most people. Obviously I value a good dog's life more than some lazy, breeding, lowlife degenerate human.

Call me crazy but I think there is just about as much human cull as there is dog cull. I'm not arrogant enough to think otherwise, some people are the worst animals on the planet.

Problem with your position Sam is, Who is the arbiter of who gets culled or not?

Human life is supposed to be sacred. We decide on who gets "culled" then we are no better than Hitler, Pol Pot etc.

Better to deal effectively with the scum of the earth through an effective criminal justice system that includes the death penalty. Leave the judgement of who gets to live or die to God.
Cull as in child molester, murderer, rapist, thief.

I'm not talking ethic cleansing here, just bad people(cull) in general.

For example Hitler would be in the cull pen.
Got ya!
The little 8 pound Jack Russel mix I had could spot off-duty Cops at the range every time, ain't saying them Cops were [bleep]s but maybe it was something in their body language got him PO'd.

I'm recalling the time some big ol' SWAT guy, there for a handgun match, bemused at being confronted by a tiny dog, tried to back him down. Sparky weren't having none of it and didn't give an inch grin

Sure do miss that ornery little cuss and infallible intruder alarm.....

[Linked Image]

...passed a year ago this month, currently lies under the front lawn near the door.
Originally Posted by AB2506
Got ya!

Hook, line, sinker...and the rod as well.

And as for the discussed issue, I am most definitely not the one to be making the cull or not to cull determination as I know for sure that I would be inclined to be heavy handed, bloody minded, and generally unpleasant.

Just like every other person on this Earth.

Agreed.
Cull as in child molester, murderer, rapist, thief.

I'm not talking ethic cleansing here, just bad people(cull) in general.

For example Hitler would be in the cull pen.
Your meaning was clear to me, for one.

Stopped bringing him for that reason.

Birdwatcher

Perhaps your dog just didn't like the smell of doughnuts? wink

John
One BIG difference between human cops and canine cops is that the canine cop focuses entirely on his mission, personal safety be damned.

I ain't saying it should be otherwise.
© 24hourcampfire