Hop To
Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob
It always helps to talk to dogs, whether you are being threatening and asserting your dominance or talking softly to let them know you are not a threat. Either will work in certain situations, but just standing there and looking threatening is guaranteed to get the kind of response you saw in that video.

It always helps to talk to all animals and to remain calm, that settles a potentially bad situation down quickly

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Calling me slow is akin to calling Carl Lewis slow a look in the mirror will do wonders
Again I said labs aren't know for being viscous and you don't seem to differentiate them from mixed breeds

BS labs aren't viscous, just as I thought you are clueless

Not only are you slow you seem to have a bad memory.

I remember clearly, but coming to a logical conclusion isn't your strong suite I see

On the contrary, I have concluded that you can neither correct nor admit your mistakes, you have an overblown regard for your supposed "Carl Lewis" intellect...and you don't know shyte about biting dogs.

Have a nice life, I am going to bed.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Calling me slow is akin to calling Carl Lewis slow a look in the mirror will do wonders
Again I said labs aren't know for being viscous and you don't seem to differentiate them from mixed breeds

BS labs aren't viscous, just as I thought you are clueless

Not only are you slow you seem to have a bad memory.

I remember clearly, but coming to a logical conclusion isn't your strong suite I see

On the contrary, I have concluded that you can neither correct nor admit your mistakes, you have an overblown regard for your supposed "Carl Lewis" intellect...and you don't know shyte about biting dogs.

Have a nice life, I am going to bed.

Thanks for proving my point

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dumb meets dumb and the dumb with the gun wins.

Close but it's actually more like,,,, dumb ass calls cops on dumb ass neighbor who's letting his dumb ass dog run loose resulting in a dumb ass cop being dispatched who unnecessarily shoots the dumb ass dog,,, ultimately resulting in 30+ pages of dumb ass bickering and BS.

Sure makes me glad I live in a part of the country where people don't let vicious dogs run loose, don't freak out at the sight of a dog that isn't theirs, and (probably because it's a rural setting) realize they'll likely be confronted and held responsible for their actions whether it's letting their dogs trespass or shooting a neighbors pet.
Not doing chit to cause the cops (good or bad) to show up at your place goes a long way too.

I've got dogs running around my shack who's biggest danger are snakes, P-Pines, and getting run over running out to meet the UPS gal knowing that she travels with a pocket full of dog treats she uses to barter with threatening dogs. Some loud barking is usually all it takes to extract a treat or two from her but occasionally they'll have to resort to some aggressive tail wagging.

A very entertaining thread though so please don't stop on my account.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A guy who lives in my brother's neighborhood found out that there are different rules for cops and regular people.

There was a neighbor's dog who kept getting out and getting into his yard and acting aggressively. He talked to the neighbor about it to no avail. After that, he talked to the cops and they did nothing. Then, one day said dog bites his five year old daughter while she is in her own yard. So, the guy does what any red blooded American does and chases that dog down and shoots his arse dead right there.

Guy was charged with felony cruelty to animals.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Where I live most if not all let their dogs run lose some are extremely large and they don't seem to get shot.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Where I live most if not all let their dogs run lose some are extremely large and they don't seem to get shot.

Not unless they need it and few need it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Agreed

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
A guy who lives in my brother's neighborhood found out that there are different rules for cops and regular people.

There was a neighbor's dog who kept getting out and getting into his yard and acting aggressively. He talked to the neighbor about it to no avail. After that, he talked to the cops and they did nothing. Then, one day said dog bites his five year old daughter while she is in her own yard. So, the guy does what any red blooded American does and chases that dog down and shoots his arse dead right there.

Guy was charged with felony cruelty to animals.
That's a standard charge for anyone who shoots a dog, no matter how warranted the shooting ... unless you're a cop, in which case it's all "within department policy."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
only a sample of one, but the worst dog bite I've received to date was from a Chocolate lab.

told the folks to get it restrained and get the F outa there with it. White mountains, I was riding solo on a snowmachine and two folks skiing with the lab running loose.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by whelenndealin
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Once more:

An unrestrained dog is a feral dog as far as I'm concerned.

What exactly is your definition of unrestrained?

confused

Not under the owner's control, of course.

My dog is in my backyard right now. It has an 8' metal fence on the sides and back. When I take her out of there, she is on a leash even though she responds to my voice commands about as well as any dog I know.

If a cop shoots her, he is clearly trespassing or shooting a leashed dog.

If you've hunted over dogs, do you keep them on a leash too?

Last edited by whelenndealin; 02/12/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think this cop should take a stroll around Browning, MT.

I always thought lot of stray dogs was a Southern thing, leastways dead dogs on the highway are more common in the South.

I figured it was because of climate; hard winters knocking out stray dogs and cats in cold climates.

I could be wrong I guess.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If that officer would have held his cool and let the dog smell him things would have worked out much more harmonious for all concerned. I have been around more aggressive dogs than that and did not need to shoot them

Between walking my own dogs and now, bicycling, I run into a lot of loose dogs down here too. A lot of 'em growl and bark, very few try to press home an attack.

I call 'em all "Rover" and talk to them. Usually body language and loud "NO!" and "BAD DOG!" makes 'em retreat if needed, or at least keep their distance. And on a bike, I always stop and confront them if'n theyr'e looking to chase me.

Having a 12oz can of bear spray in reserve doesn't hurt either. I've used bear spray seven or eight times over about the last twelve years, in most every case it was the sudden 20ft blast that appeared to startle and turn aside the inbound dog rather than the capsasin itself.

Always helps too to intitiate the confrontation early if the dog in question ain't seen you yet.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I think this cop should take a stroll around Browning, MT.

I always thought lot of stray dogs was a Southern thing, leastways dead dogs on the highway are more common in the South.

I figured it was because of climate; hard winters knocking out stray dogs and cats in cold climates.

I could be wrong I guess.

Birdwatcher

Mike,

Loose dogs in Alaska villages is a real problem. Enough that the locals will often shoot them on sight.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have not read the entire thread, so this may be redundant.

The same cop was involved in a fatal shooting of a person in the spring, of a guy in an apparent psychotic episode:

Officers located May driving along U.S. Highway 93 in Twin Falls County, and he tried to ditch them in a high-speed chase. Spike strips helped eventually bring May�s car to a stop. Hassani approached the car but had trouble seeing inside, as its windows were tinted. Concerned that May would use a weapon or use his car as a weapon, Hassani fired one shot through the driver�s-side front window.

Sorry, but I don't think this guy should be a cop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'll have to remember never to bark if I'm ever about to be arrested. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The police dept needs to fire that idiot for his own good.

He's used up more goodwill than anybody gets allocated.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yup, he's gonna bring trouble to the dept.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do the humans have the option of backing down in such a situation, or was there an imminent threat necessitating a sustained advance?

I see two parties at fault here. 1. The dogs were not confined or controlled, and 2. The officer could have backed down and called or waited for the owner to appear.

Either would have prevented the event. I'd say both were at fault and should receive identical punishments.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/12/14.

1Minute
Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 257Bob, 12344mag, 22250rem, 60 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,871
Posts18,518,028
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.