Hop To
Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
If that officer would have held his cool and let the dog smell him things would have worked out much more harmonious for all concerned. I have been around more aggressive dogs than that and did not need to shoot them

Between walking my own dogs and now, bicycling, I run into a lot of loose dogs down here too. A lot of 'em growl and bark, very few try to press home an attack.

I call 'em all "Rover" and talk to them. Usually body language and loud "NO!" and "BAD DOG!" makes 'em retreat if needed, or at least keep their distance. And on a bike, I always stop and confront them if'n theyr'e looking to chase me.

Having a 12oz can of bear spray in reserve doesn't hurt either. I've used bear spray seven or eight times over about the last twelve years, in most every case it was the sudden 20ft blast that appeared to startle and turn aside the inbound dog rather than the capsasin itself.

Always helps too to intitiate the confrontation early if the dog in question ain't seen you yet.

Birdwatcher

Agreed

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mog75
I'm not a cop hater, but that one should loose his job. The few bad apples who are leos are making all of them look bad. Aggressive black lab? I doubt it. I've never had one that wasn't extremely protective though if he thought someone was a threat. When the cop started kicking dogs he put the dog into protective "aggressive " mode himself. Maybe police just need to be trained better in dealing with dogs? I'm not sure but it's making them look very bad.

I agree with this ,because also if it were a judgement call,he really kinda blew it,so what if another scenario , say with a human life. Appears the cop was a total moron,needs a beatin' IMO.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
If that officer would have held his cool and let the dog smell him things would have worked out much more harmonious for all concerned. I have been around more aggressive dogs than that and did not need to shoot them

Between walking my own dogs and now, bicycling, I run into a lot of loose dogs down here too. A lot of 'em growl and bark, very few try to press home an attack.

I call 'em all "Rover" and talk to them. Usually body language and loud "NO!" and "BAD DOG!" makes 'em retreat if needed, or at least keep their distance. And on a bike, I always stop and confront them if'n theyr'e looking to chase me.
My experience has been the same. Except for a very rare thug of a dog, those that are not trained to attack generally won't unless you show weakness. A sudden forward posture and an angry shout will turn most aggressive-acting dogs back to where they feel safe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Plinker

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Great post! laugh

I get that X 7 every night, when I walk through the door. It never gets old. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
[Linked Image]
That sort of sign is sadly becoming a necessity.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That dog is clearly vicious.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That dog is clearly vicious.

Obviously.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I think this cop should take a stroll around Browning, MT.

I always thought lot of stray dogs was a Southern thing, leastways dead dogs on the highway are more common in the South.

I figured it was because of climate; hard winters knocking out stray dogs and cats in cold climates.

I could be wrong I guess.

Birdwatcher

Mike,

Loose dogs in Alaska villages is a real problem. Enough that the locals will often shoot them on sight.

Ed
The White Mountain Apache Res. has the same problem with strays. whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Its not just the shooting, but the unprofessional conduct he displayed to a citizen, dropping the f, bomb??? Really??? Yelling and rambling and wanting to "start over".

With his rationale that the dog was being aggressive and he had to shoot it, then Mr. Clubb should've shot Mr. Hassani for yelling and showing aggression.

Last edited by dedity; 02/12/14.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The White Mountain Apache Res. has the same problem with strays.

Dittos the Upper San Pedro

......their numbers including some BAD actors.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dedity
Its not just the shooting, but the unprofessional conduct he displayed to a citizen, dropping the f, bomb??? Really??? Yelling and rambling and wanting to "start over".

With his rationale that the dog was being aggressive and he had to shoot it, then Mr. Clubb should've shot Mr. Hassani for yelling and showing aggression.

I'm not going anywhere NEAR the bizarre event in the OP. sick

Do have this to say,....

Any "Agency" that retains this "Hassani" clown for anything but un-armed janitorial work bears watching, by it's taxpayers.

No "good" will come from his carrying badge and arms into the future.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've passed the million mile mark - according to my knees - following Pointers or hog dogs, and of course they weren't leashed.

But..... just like in my backyard....... a cop would have been trespassing if he even SAW my dogs, much less shoot them.

And the dogs were subject to my whistle commands, so they were under my control.

In this present incident, if the owner had his dog in view and could call him to some to him, it ain't likely the cop would have shot the dog.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Dumb meets dumb and the dumb with the gun wins.

Close but it's actually more like,,,, dumb ass calls cops on dumb ass neighbor who's letting his dumb ass dog run loose resulting in a dumb ass cop being dispatched who unnecessarily shoots the dumb ass dog,,, ultimately resulting in 30+ pages of dumb ass bickering and BS.

Sure makes me glad I live in a part of the country where people don't let vicious dogs run loose, don't freak out at the sight of a dog that isn't theirs, and (probably because it's a rural setting) realize they'll likely be confronted and held responsible for their actions whether it's letting their dogs trespass or shooting a neighbors pet.
Not doing chit to cause the cops (good or bad) to show up at your place goes a long way too.

I've got dogs running around my shack who's biggest danger are snakes, P-Pines, and getting run over running out to meet the UPS gal knowing that she travels with a pocket full of dog treats she uses to barter with threatening dogs. Some loud barking is usually all it takes to extract a treat or two from her but occasionally they'll have to resort to some aggressive tail wagging.

A very entertaining thread though so please don't stop on my account.

I took my kids for a walk a few weeks back on some public land. There was a car parked in the parking area of the public land so I did what I always do and avoided them. I parked down the road about 300yds away from them so they could have their family time, or get high, or whatever they were doing.

My 12 year old son gets out, and runs to the top of a steep hill. My 6 year old daughter stays with me. I let our lab out and he heels and stays by me. He is not leashed but has his shock collar on. I immediately hear somebody yelling "Come back" and the light bulb went on. There was a dog hauling ass toward us. I heeled my lab and kept my daughter next to me. Sure as schit stinks, a heeler/pit/mutt/POS pops out of the grass and doesn't make a sound. Just stares at us. My dog stays and the POS comes closer. I can see the guy in the parking area jump into his car and drive toward us. At that time another vehicle hauls ass down the dirt road and the POS dog gives chase to that car. Owner pulls up next to me. I ask him "Why are you stopping here? go get your dog."

At that time his dog realizes he can't catch the car so he runs back toward us. The entire time the owner is yelling and the dog won't stop. I tell my dog to heel and although it is killing him he does. My daughter stays behind me this whole time. The POS dog runs directly at us and is barking and growling. My dog has had enough and steps up. They start to circle and both are trying to latch onto one another. I have my girl and she of course is priority #1 so I stay back with her. At the same time I unsnap my holster and tell the owner of the POS "I'm going go shoot your dog if he latches onto my lab." The owner of the POS (to his credit) dives in and starts trying to get them apart. I tell him again "Hurry up or I'm shooting him." He replies "I can get him."

He does get his dog separated and after I yell at my lab to heel he does. I check my dog and there was no damage. Then I told the owner of the POS "If you cannot control your goddammmed dog you need to use a leash, sir!" He apologizes and asks if my dog is ok. I told him again any dog owner that can't control their dog or has a dog that is that aggressive should not own a pet. My parting words were something relating to "[bleep] bullschit" and "You can leave now."

Anyway, you just never know what you're going to run into, or where. But in my opinion dog owners have become pretty discourteous in recent years.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
But in my opinion dog owners have become pretty discourteous in recent years.

Yeah, and some of them are a lot more aggressive than the guy in your story.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Three of my four dogs are dangerous. Two of them (Catahoulas) are animal aggressive and one (Aussie) is protective of his territory. It is my job to make sure they are where they are supposed to be.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by deflave
But in my opinion dog owners have become pretty discourteous in recent years.

Yeah, and some of them are a lot more aggressive than the guy in your story.

I think the only reason that guy behaved the way he did was because I had kids with me, and I was armed.

Otherwise I would bet he was proud of that feral POS he calls a pet.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My old blue heeler loved to fight dogs. He almost always got his arse whipped but he loved it anyway. It was hilarious. He used to follow my dad down to check the cows and he would always go out of his way to fight a neighbor dog. He would get his arse whipped and try it again. Finally, they reached an understanding. They simply did not acknowledge each other and that way they could both keep their "honor" without fighting. The heeler could walk 50 feet from that dog sitting right out in its front yard, and they would make an elaborate show of both looking the other way and pretending to be interested in something else, until my dog moved on down the road following my dad. It was a great lesson in dog diplomacy.

Last edited by JoeBob; 02/13/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Undstood. My Catahoulas are brothers, weighing 110/115bs. They take turns whipping each others ass all the time. Hell of team when they have something to gang up on though.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Three of my four dogs are dangerous. Two of them (Catahoulas) are animal aggressive and one (Aussie) is protective of his territory. It is my job to make sure they are where they are supposed to be.

You can be my neighbour any time...and heelers are like that.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,881
Posts18,518,198
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.