Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
The world (ie public land) is not your pet's litterbox or [bleep] playpen. You want fido? Awesome. Keep him on your property or on leash. Or go exercise him somewhere other people are unlikely to have to deal with him. Just because you think he's cute doesn't mean I will.

If it's public land, it's not against the law, and owner takes responsibility for actions then what is the problem?

Some people want it their way or the highway.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hunting or just out for a walk I don't leash my dogs but they always have a shock collar and if we encounter somebody else I make them heel until away from them.

A lot of dogs aren't as controlled on a leash as mine are off leash.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by whelenndealin
The world (ie public land) is not your pet's litterbox or [bleep] playpen. You want fido? Awesome. Keep him on your property or on leash. Or go exercise him somewhere other people are unlikely to have to deal with him. Just because you think he's cute doesn't mean I will.

If it's public land, it's not against the law, and owner takes responsibility for actions then what is the problem?

Some people want it their way or the highway.

No problem at all. In theory it sounds great, but in practice the percentage of people that can actually control their animals off leash is small IME. And taking responsibility is good, even better when it's done before there's a problem involving the dog.

If somebody can't control their dog on leash, then I don't care as long as they don't let go of the leash! grin

The country is fool of prissy corksuckers that thing precious fido holds the same value as me. Or my family. I love my dogs, but dogs are dogs and they aren't people. That fact is lost on many, just read these dumbass threads.

MAGA
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

No problem at all. In theory it sounds great, but in practice the percentage of people that can actually control their animals off leash is small IME. And taking responsibility is good, even better when it's done before there's a problem involving the dog.

If somebody can't control their dog on leash, then I don't care as long as they don't let go of the leash! grin

The country is fool of prissy corksuckers that thing precious fido holds the same value as me. Or my family. I love my dogs, but dogs are dogs and they aren't people. That fact is lost on many, just read these dumbass threads.

Fair enough, I can agree with that.

It's also full of people that think we need more laws.

I'll admit that the areas I'm talking about are huge continuous tracts, but what I'm trying to get at is the one size doesn't fit all approach. If someone can hunt birds with a dog off the leash in October, they should be able to take him for walk in May.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If someone can hunt birds with a dog off the leash in October, they should be able to take him for walk in May.

Or run 'em behind their bike through the city.....

[Linked Image]

Not hard to do with heelers or the heeler-sheepdog mutts thereof.

I am fortunate in that I live in a part of town where the Cops got more pressing concerns than mere leash laws and where folks ain't inclined to involve Cops unless it rises to the level of actual crimes.

I do understand that loose dogs scare/bother folks, in this part of town because people are used to mean/unsocialized yard dogs, and in the more upscale parts of town because folks have the time/inclination to obsess about petty things.

This board is full of dog people and so is better informed than the general public. Most folks out there however have no clue as to the level of behavior/training good dogs are capable of and therefore ask/expect very little of their own dogs. Sad really.

Of course, I ain't talking hounds here....

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Birdwatcher

laughing

Anyone want a 'good' hound dog?

Come and get him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
His owner probably already does.

That's what I meant. We pay taxes for US to enjoy the land, not as a playground for somebody's crazy dog. As you've already said, people have started considering their dogs as part of their family, and it's crazy.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
His owner probably already does.

geez so I've taken a dump on public land a couple of hundred times blush

think of how I'm saving strain on the sewer system by not going back to town grin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
As you've already said, people have started considering their dogs as part of their family, and it's crazy.

No more crazy than considering an attack dog as a law enforcement officer.

Put me in the crazy camp. I like my dog better than some members of my family. smile

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Birdwatcher

laughing

Anyone want a 'good' hound dog?

Come and get him.

I think I just heard Mickey Coleman slam the door on his truck.

prepare for the arrival of an Alabama gunsmith Sam, thaw out some steaks, ole Mickey knows how to put a scald on em

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FlaRick
As you've already said, people have started considering their dogs as part of their family, and it's crazy.

Put me in the crazy camp. I like my dog better than some members of my family. smile

yaknow you got a point there, if some azzhat shoots a police dog doesn't the police dep't treat that with about the same severity as if you shot a uniformed policeman?

not sure but that could follow under that "two sets of different rules for different folks category"

and NO I'm not willing to shoot George's dog up in New Hampshire to find out! eek

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 02/15/14.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Runs up on somebody else in that "public" land that feels threatened, you are responsible for him getting shot.

HEY!!! mad You shoot MY dog PUNK (I mean you, not the dog, I don't got a dog named "Punk", never have) and I'll......

.....oh I dunno, prob'ly get another one I expect.

Much as I cherish my dogs, they are after all still just dogs and yeah, if they get justifiably shot, it'll be my fault.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

You have a valid point there....two in fact.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Couple of things....
Liking an animal more than a person is a sure sign of emotional immaturity. People only like animals more than other people because it's easier to like animals than it is people.

And treating a police dog like a police person is stupid too. I don't hope anybody's dog, police dog or otherwise, gets hurt tonight. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if it does happen.

Those cop dogs knew it was a dangerous job when they volunteered for it.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Liking an animal more than a person is a sure sign of emotional immaturity.

Well, Blue, you might feel otherwise if you met all of my family.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Those cop dogs knew it was a dangerous job when they volunteered for it.

lmao, you'se a sick puppy!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Liking an animal more than a person is a sure sign of emotional immaturity.

Well, Blue, you might feel otherwise if you met all of my family.

lmao . . . . . . same here

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

yaknow you got a point there, if some azzhat shoots a police dog doesn't the police dep't treat that with about the same severity as if you shot a uniformed policeman?

not sure but that could follow under that "two sets of different rules for different folks category"

and NO I'm not willing to shoot George's dog up in New Hampshire to find out! eek

Laffin'

In response......no, the killing of a PD K9 is not the same as killing an LEO (as is correct). I am also not authorized to utilize deadly force if I witness a suspect killing my K9. That said, it's going to be very difficult to determine which of us the suspect is trying to stab, etc. once I close the gap.

Dogs, even PD K9s, are dogs. If I have to choose between deploying Gipsy in a certain death situation or risking one of my guys......she loses.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
George; just curious, in your policies and procedure manual, does the handler have the final say in the deployment of the dog in any given situation?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Yes, the handler has the final word. In reality nobody else, Chiefs included, have the knowledge of applicable case law to have it any other way. Then there's the issue of actually knowing how the dogs will react in a given circumstance.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,874
Posts18,518,082
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.