-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Y'all might want to click on the original link. It's been updated with more info.

I wasn't in the cops shoes but it did appear the dogs weren't dangerous. My job requires me to be on or near property with dogs often. We carry Milkbones in the trucks as peace offerings. I've had numerous cases with dogs acting like that when we first show up. I just take my time and show them I mean no harm. Perhaps they can sense I'm a dog lover (I can hardly bring myself to shoot coyotes), but they always end up being friendly by the end of the day.

I've had several that got too friendly and would try to climb in the cab of the truck! We had one job we worked at off and on for a month or two and when the neighbor dogs (in this case three of them) heard the airbrakes set they would come tearing around the corner for their treats with big ass grins in their faces!

Anyway, the point I'm making is the cop could've handled it better but ultimately it's the douchbag owner's fault. As some on here have mentioned,show me a bad dog and I'll show you a worse human (owner)...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Y'all might want to click on the original link. It's been updated with more info.

I wasn't in the cops shoes but it did appear the dogs weren't dangerous. My job requires me to be on or near property with dogs often. We carry Milkbones in the trucks as peace offerings. I've had numerous cases with dogs acting like that when we first show up. I just take my time and show them I mean no harm. Perhaps they can sense I'm a dog lover (I can hardly bring myself to shoot coyotes), but they always end up being friendly by the end of the day.

I've had several that got too friendly and would try to climb in the cab of the truck! We had one job we worked at off and on for a month or two and when the neighbor dogs (in this case three of them) heard the airbrakes set they would come tearing around the corner for their treats with big ass grins in their faces!

Anyway, the point I'm making is the cop could've handled it better but ultimately it's the douchbag owner's fault. As some on here have mentioned,show me a bad dog and I'll show you a worse human (owner)...
The link says that some of the dog owner's friends or relatives were concerned about the dog that got shot and his behavior around their kids. The dog's owner told them he lived alone though, so it wasn't a concern. Other people said the two dogs routinely ran loose but their owner denied it.

I said before, I was more concerned about the officer's behavior after the shooting. I don't get him going to the door of a house and demanding to see the home owner's ID and threatening the owner with jail if he doesn't comply. The dog shooting was totally unnecessary any way you look at it because the cop could have sat there and called dispatch for the homeowner's phone number or had them call the homeowner in order for him to control his animals before the cop ever got out of the cruiser. Whether the shooting was necessary to prevent the officer from being bitten is beyond my capability to discern, but the whole thing definitely was easily avoidable. Oh well, now the guy who was probably most at-fault, the homeowner, can probably make a hundred grand and the policeman can look for a more suitable line of work. I don't think dogcatcher is in his employment future either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was stupid on the officers part as much as the dog's owner. Dog should have been put up I agree, officer should be fired if he wasn't. Defend cops all you want, there are good and bad ones all the same. I've met several that I liked and some that are scum of the earth. People is all they are and vary just like the rest of us. Having a badge doesn't make them right. wink

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 4ager
Given that cops are under no duty to show up to a call for assistance (911 or otherwise), the cop made the choice to show up, the choice to get out of the car, the choice to kick the dog, and the choice to shoot the dog without taking any other action.

No, the cop didn't have a choice regarding whether to show up or not. His departmental policy I'm sure dictates that all calls from anyone needing assistance will be answered. He could have ignored it if he saw the dog loose, but no one called to complain.

Originally Posted by 4ager
Shoot my dog, in my yard, and whether you are wearing a badge or not, you're going to get shot, as you are then a clear and present danger to me and my family while on my property without a warrant and without just cause. I don't think it will be long until that starts happening rather often in these situations.

Bullshidt.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by raybass
That was stupid on the officers part as much as the dog's owner. Dog should have been put up I agree, officer should be fired if he wasn't. Defend cops all you want, there are good and bad ones all the same. I've met several that I liked and some that are scum of the earth. People is all they are and vary just like the rest of us. Having a badge doesn't make them right. wink
Precisely why no post like what we today term "law enforcement officer" should be permitted to exist in a society claiming to be free.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I [bleep] hate loose dogs. In town or out of town. If it's your property I don't GAF, keep it there. If it's public land and you're hunting cool. Outside of that keep the [bleep] thing on a leash. Or go exercise your mutt somewhere nobody else has to deal with them.

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I [bleep] hate loose dogs. In town or out of town. If it's your property I don't GAF, keep it there. If it's public land and you're hunting cool. Outside of that keep the [bleep] thing on a leash. Or go exercise your mutt somewhere nobody else has to deal with them.

Well duh...only an idiot would think otherwise.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Amazing concept that many many fail to understand. "he listens to me!" "he's cute" blah blah blah

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MojoHand

I've had several that got too friendly and would try to climb in the cab of the truck!

This sounds like the rez hound pup I picked up out of the ditch. I will never make that mistake again...

That dog is unlike anything I've ever known. Total dipchit.

Constantly roaming, sniffing, doing what hound dogs do I guess. I hate it, offered again this morning to shoot the bastard but my dad isn't quite that harsh anymore.

We work cows and I just leave him in the pickup so he doesn't distract the heeler.

Guy comes down and cuts firewood and of course the hound follows him around like they are long lost friends, rides in his pickup...

And it's not like the dog is bored. Unlike a lot of dogs who spend 95% of their life tied up or in a cage we actually take them along with us everyday.

Just can't stand the roaming, hate it. Maybe we need to get him one of those wireless fence setups.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sam...I love hounds, but won't own one. I can't stand that vagabond thing. I worry too much.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pat, it must just be in their nature? Anyway to 'train' the roaming out of him?

Worst part is the heeler puppy dog follows the hound everywhere.

They will run down to the river bottom and be gone for an hour or two at a time, which of course is not good. He will be walking next to you one minute and a few seconds later is long gone. Have to watch him like a hawk.

They stay on the farm most all the time but you never know, some trespassing deviate could shoot them.

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/14/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Man, hounds just go. You can shock collar 'em, but if they get out of range, the best you can hope for is that they don't get killed before you find them.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

The close minded nature of people never ceases to amaze me. If someone wants to take a dog for a walk off a leash on a local parcel of public property that's over 10,000 continuous acres then so be it. How bout some common sense.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No problem...long as your dog minds his manners. Runs up on somebody else in that "public" land that feels threatened, you are responsible for him getting shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Y'all remember Cisco, the heeled that got shot in Texas a while back? He had his own "justice for Cisco" Facebook page and everything. Until all the people that dog had bitten and harassed over the years came forward. It was awesome.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Y'all humor me....What do you think the owner will get paid for his dead dog?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by ltppowell
No problem...long as your dog minds his manners. Runs up on somebody else in that "public" land that feels threatened, you are responsible for him getting shot.

This is refreshing, someone who gets it!

And I'll add, you're responsible for your actions, just as much as the dog owner is for themselves and their dog.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The world (ie public land) is not your pet's litterbox or [bleep] playpen. You want fido? Awesome. Keep him on your property or on leash. Or go exercise him somewhere other people are unlikely to have to deal with him. Just because you think he's cute doesn't mean I will.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When Rover pays taxes he's welcome to dump all over the park as far as I'm concerned.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
His owner probably already does.

MAGA
Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 260Remguy, 62 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,909
Posts18,518,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.