Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Consistent theme runs through this stuff, I think. We see different results from soft tissue lung hits, because, while these shots induce a lot of trauma, there isn't anything about lung hits that are "immediately" fatal or disabling. Sometimes(regardless of cartridge or bullet) we see a lights out kill with such hits, and sometimes, we don't.

Like punching a hole in a gas tank, they move until the blood pressure drops and the oxygen runs out, which does not take too long but a wild animal can move a long ways in 5-10 or 15 seconds or so.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rem. 7RM and 150gr. corelok's. DRT. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Only one round in this discussion has earned the title, "Death Ray". The 257 WBY magnum goes beyond the science of bullet types, shot selection, etc. It's a mystical round and the king of DRT.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.270 Winchester with 130gr Core-loc's..40+ whitetails

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by a12
Only one round in this discussion has earned the title, "Death Ray". The 257 WBY magnum goes beyond the science of bullet types, shot selection, etc. It's a mystical round and the king of DRT.

Nope not at all. I"ve shot 5 or 6 deer with mine now, only bang flop was a spine hit. My buddy has shot 5-6 deer every year with his also, but for about the last 5-6 years. Only bang flop was also a spine shot.

They don't go all that far, usually less than 50 yards.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And no, not a one of them has been non lungs.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by rost495

Your sample size is small, but that is a very low percentage for your friend. Are y'all shooting some weak loads or something?

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I've had 5 out of 6 mature bucks DRT along with a antelope and bighorn sheep. My son has DRTed 2 of 3 mature bucks. All of these are 257 WBY magnum kills. I don't have a number on the does, but a bunch of them dropped, also.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by a12

Your sample size is small, but that is a very low percentage for your friend. Are y'all shooting some weak loads or something?

They ain't no where near mild. My cases have ejector marks on most of them. 100 grain TTSX.

Its shot placement. Put it middle of lungs, and you punch pieces of lungs out on the ground at times but you simply are not close enough to a high shoulder shot or CNS to shock the CNS enough to dump em.

I have dropped 2 though, that I did not mention, in their tracks with it but it doesn't count, they were head shots.

Yes a sample of 30 isn't large. But then again for most folks 30 deer ain't a small sample either.

Boils down to shot placement, somewhat to bullet choice too, but shot placement trumps all. There is no magic round that dumps em all on the spot without the correct shot placement. I've had more DRT witht he 243 than teh 257 wtby so far...

That being said I"ve heard of a local guy, 220 swift, gut shot all his deer in the flanks, gutless cleaning method, and supposedly never had one run. No clue if its true or not.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Its shot placement. Put it middle of lungs, and you punch pieces of lungs out on the ground at times but you simply are not close enough to a high shoulder shot or CNS to shock the CNS enough to dump em.

My experience disagree's with this statement rost495. I have shot many deer in this spot and dumped them where they stood. I still feel the conditions have more to do with it. Get deer out past 200 yards and calm and a good solid hit drops them where they stand.

IC B3

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Rost495, I've had great DRT results with tissue only hits. Your results are surprising. We've always used the BT and NAB bullets. If you aren't shooting for bone, is an X bullet needed? I'm sure your getting pass thrus and that's great for trailing.
As far as the 220 swift, I think ultra velocity makes a big difference. That's the only way I can explain some of the 257 results I've had.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I use X because I hate lots of meat damage, and I"m prepared.

The next deer that walks out, may have to be shot lengthwise, at an angle, may be 100 pounds larger than all the rest etc..

I just choose to be prepared.

Trust me, I've shot a LOT of deer. I'm pushing 50, have been shooting deer for 40 years, and rarely shoot less than 4 or 5, sometimes pushing 10.

I've tried it all and seen it all. High speed always gives more chance of DRT.

But then again you note bullet choice. Which means its not all about the caliber or cartridge, but a LOT about getting shock. Means bones and close to or in CNS, and fragmenting bullets. You can fragment slow or fast, just depending on how you go about it or try to go about it.

You couldn't pay me to shoot a ballistic tip after taking a deers head totally off with one. And a few body shots that had horrific exits the size of a baseball.

But they do work and can put em down quick with a lot of damage along the way.

FWIW most of my shots are 150 out to over 400 and I've still found it simply shot placement most of the time.

I've actually had more DRTs with the 308 and heavy bullets than I have with the 257. No clue why, as it makes no sense.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rost I've probably not shot near as many deer as you but what I have shot has been with a 270 95% or better. 130 gr hard bullet has served me well, my shots are close though and usually well placed. I agree on the ballistic tips, killers they are but meat destoyer's they are also. I don't need huge holes, just two holes. I have had a few run but never far. I would imagine a 308 with the 130 TTSX would give you a lot of DRT's. It works and so far without a lot of meat damage.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by a12

This is surprising. Tell me how this happens?

I have yet to see any round elevate itself above bullets and placement,certainly none have reached the level of "mystical"....but have never used a 257 Weatherby....only the 257 Roberts and 25/06 in 25 caliber.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by raybass
Rost I've probably not shot near as many deer as you but what I have shot has been with a 270 95% or better. 130 gr hard bullet has served me well, my shots are close though and usually well placed. I agree on the ballistic tips, killers they are but meat destoyer's they are also. I don't need huge holes, just two holes. I have had a few run but never far. I would imagine a 308 with the 130 TTSX would give you a lot of DRT's. It works and so far without a lot of meat damage.

I don't need DRT. I actually enjoy the puzzle of the trailing part. Some folks are different, or I'm different, whichever way you look at it.

But its funny to me that folks think they can find a round thats 100% DRT without hitting CNS. Just ain't such a beast that I can tell.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

But its funny to me that folks think they can find a round thats 100% DRT without hitting CNS. Just ain't such a beast that I can tell.

Agreed.I have never seen anything that will do it 100% of the time.

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by a12

I have yet to see any round elevate itself above bullets and placement,certainly none have reached the level of "mystical"....but have never used a 257 Weatherby....only the 257 Roberts and 25/06 in 25 caliber.
I'd tell you if I knew. That's why it's mystical. We've had some last rib quartering forward shots that are amazing with the WBY. Ultra velocity is my guess.

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Rost, my son had great results with the .308, also. Just about an ideal for whitetails. I made the mistake of getting him the Ruger Compact with a 16.5" barrel. Cool rifle, but just too loud and not ultra accurate.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If you are ruining too much meat with BT's you are hitting them in the wrong spot or you like ribs and lungs! BT's are at their best with lung shots. They turn everything to soup. I expect the reason I get so many DRT kills is because I use more than enough gun and shoot mostly calm deer. However I have had DRT with a .260 rem and 129 grain Interlocks, go figure. However the deer was only 100 yards but feeding and totally unsuspecting.

My longest death runs were deer who were aware I was there. One was shot with a .300 Win Mag at about 50 yards with a BT. The other was shot at about 150 yards with a 7.5x55 and a 150 grain Interlock. Both deer were alerted to my presence and were about to bolt when hit.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by a12

I've seen the 257 Weatherby in action on probably a half dozen big game animals. It worked just like a lot of other high velocity rounds. Shot in the right place, animals died quickly. Shot in the wrong place, they ran off and died somewhere else after some more shooting.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (219 Wasp, 300_savage, 2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 1badf350, 2ndwind, 51 invisible), 1,934 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,028
Posts18,520,872
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.