-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spent a good bit of time comparing the VX6 2-12 against a Swarovski Z3 and a Zeiss HD5 and without a doubt I walked away convinced that the VX6 was the standout winner. Seems like there's been a few cases of QC problems with the VX 6 here on the campfire which concerned me a little bit. I ended up buying a vx3 3.5-10x40 that ended up having to be sent back for repair anyway, so go figure!

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mystro
The rig shot 1/4" moa in better weather conditions. I didn't think necessary to document every target shot given the crappy weather conditions or even after its first initial range visit. I was just happy to get the targets off the board before they blew away.
I suppose I can take some more pics next range visit if there is any skeptics in the crowd. cool

Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I think it means you need a new scale.....

And a new set of calipers.

Prove it.

We have yet to see a 1/2" group from the rifle.

Just any FYI, inches and MOAs are different systems of measurement.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
18x on a 6 - and - change pound mountain rifle. Sounds perfect.

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I am aware that MOA is 1.047" at 100 yards and not exactly 1" but is that really a issue in these informal discussions about a hunting rifle? O.k my target that I took a picture of shows a 3/4" group in a 25mph wind on a 30 degree day with a 6lbs and change rifle. It was just a example of how the rifle performed on that given day under those conditions.
Perhaps I just assumed everyone would under stand that a 15-25 mph wind in the cold will probably effect accuracy in a negative way and should be considered as such.
You honestly don't think I can pull off a 1/2" group or better on a calm day??? crazy
Since you are double dog daring me Prarie_Goat, I'll take some pics next range trip. Perhaps this Saturday, suppose to warm up a little and I have two other loads to try out. grin

The rig shot 1/4" moa in better weather conditions. I didn't think necessary to document every target shot given the crappy weather conditions or even after its first initial range visit. I was just happy to get the targets off the board before they blew away.
I suppose I can take some more pics next range visit if there is any skeptics in the crowd. cool

I think it means you need a new scale.....

And a new set of calipers.

Prove it.

We have yet to see a 1/2" group from the rifle.

Just any FYI, inches and MOAs are different systems of measurement.

Last edited by mystro; 02/17/14.

The Lord loves humility.
M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
You never can tell with any optic. Stuff happens, This is my first experience with the Firedot system and I hope it holds up but its a Leopold gold so regardless its covered under warrantee.

Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I spent a good bit of time comparing the VX6 2-12 against a Swarovski Z3 and a Zeiss HD5 and without a doubt I walked away convinced that the VX6 was the standout winner. Seems like there's been a few cases of QC problems with the VX 6 here on the campfire which concerned me a little bit. I ended up buying a vx3 3.5-10x40 that ended up having to be sent back for repair anyway, so go figure!

The Lord loves humility.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am aware that MOA is 1.047" at 100 yards and not exactly 1" but is that really a issue in these informal discussions about a hunting rifle?

I believe he's referring to the difference between inches and MOA. You referred to 1/4" MOA when it should be one or the other. I'm not trying to split hairs or get caught up in small details, though.

I will say that an honest 1/4" rifle is tough to come by and such claims aren't generally taken lightly. Especially when other claims are a bit on the optimistic side. That takes nothing away from your very fine setup, but rather is intended to explain why you're getting called out a bit.

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I am new here but I think you will find out over time with all my post that I push accuracy to the limit when I can with either handguns or rifles. This is in part from a competitive shooting background with handguns. I am picky as hell with accuracy. I'll try to set a more constant parameter of where I am comming from with my accuracy expectations.

I have duplicated results similar to this with my Kimber on a calm day. I consider this a excelent 4 shot group and was one of a many great groups I shot with my JOC 270. If I do my part and with the right load, I expect results close to this.
[Linked Image]

The Lord loves humility.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
From the looks of that target your rifle is working alot better than your scale.... grin seriously that's some good shootin!

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thank you...My best group with my JOC Rifle at 100 yards was this 3 shot group. This was a beautiful 60 degree day with no wind. I didn't have the guts to shoot a 4th shot. After my second shot, I walked down to my target to see a single hole. The final third shot just cut the first hole. If you look close you can see the third shot barely cut the first and second shots hole.

Anyway back to the Kimber rig. I noticed that the Kimber didn't need as long for the barrel to cool down between shots as my 270. The 270 gets hot very quickly but the SS barrel of the 308 will shoot another 2 shots before it gets as warm?? I don't know why and wouldnt think there is that much more powder between calibers. I would be interested in any ideas???

From the looks of that target your rifle is working alot better than your scale.... grin seriously that's some good shootin!

[Linked Image]

The Lord loves humility.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have to wonder were this a Rem 700 or Tikka would anyone question the accuracy? Just wondering?

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sidepass
Have to wonder were this a Rem 700 or Tikka would anyone question the accuracy? Just wondering?

Yes, for the reasons I mentioned above.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Thank you...My best group with my JOC Rifle at 100 yards was this 3 shot group. This was a beautiful 60 degree day with no wind. I didn't have the guts to shoot a 4th shot. After my second shot, I walked down to my target to see a single hole. The final third shot just cut the first hole. If you look close you can see the third shot barely cut the first and second shots hole.

Anyway back to the Kimber rig. I noticed that the Kimber didn't need as long for the barrel to cool down between shots as my 270. The 270 gets hot very quickly but the SS barrel of the 308 will shoot another 2 shots before it gets as warm?? I don't know why and wouldnt think there is that much more powder between calibers. I would be interested in any ideas???

[Linked Image]

All we need now is for you to put VX6's thru some tracking drills, like 20 shots each of shooting your zero and then give it a full revolution and shoot again, to see how reliable the tracking is... smile

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Your rifle seems to be a good shooter; I'm glad for you and don't mean to demean your shooting or the rifle. But as has been mentioned, claiming it to be a 1/4" or even 1/2" rifle is pretty extraordinary, and extraordinary statements demand extraordinary proof.

Shooting one or two great groups looks nice, and makes for good bragging, but isn't necessarily a good measure of what a rifle will do on a consistent basis.

I've owned five Kimber Montanas, and I would be extremely hard pressed to claim any of them as consistent MOA shooters, though the jury is still out on my recently purchased 223 AI, as it is doing great....though it has been rechambered, and has gone through the shortactionsmoker accurization routine.

The Inch vs. MOA post was made in regards to writing both together, sorta like saying the speed limit is 55 MPH KPH.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've also noticed most of my super groups from hunting weight rifles were three shot groups. When I started shooting five shot groups (which is a much better measurement statistically), reality set in that my sporter weight rifles weren't going to be winning any benchrest matches. wink

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

The Inch vs. MOA post was made in regards to writing both together, sorta like saying the speed limit is 55 MPH KPH.

Damn you're dumb.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Well it shoots one hell of a lot better than my Kimber Montana, I have spent a bit of money on mine to attempt to improve accuracy. It tightened a little but nothing even close to yours.

Well done

All Dogs Bite
All Horses Kick
All Boats Sink
And All Guns Are Loaded
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
...... I noticed that the Kimber didn't need as long for the barrel to cool down between shots as my 270. The 270 gets hot very quickly but the SS barrel of the 308 will shoot another 2 shots before it gets as warm?? I don't know why and wouldnt think there is that much more powder between calibers. I would be interested in any ideas???

The 270 uses more powder.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love the rifle, not crazy about the cartridge, HATE the scope! But youre the only one that has to like it...Good luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Love the rifle, not crazy about the cartridge, HATE the scope! But youre the only one that has to like it...Good luck.

Why do you dislike the scope and cartridge?

What would be your ideal setup?

Last edited by 4winds; 02/18/14.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
mystro. Welcome to the 'fire. I personally wouldn't give a ratsazzz what anyone thinks of your targets, calipers, rifle, scope, etc. That's some great shooting, with a great caliber, with a damnfine scope. You're thrilled with it, that's good enough. If that VX6 is anything like my 2-12 you've got a real winner.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,462
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.