Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
What do these rifles sell for new?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks like $1600-$2200,depending on the grade.

Some of the posts on that firing line thread are hilarious!

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/17/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Tenring Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Twofish, that fellow actually did respond to one of my posts on that very message board but comparing our guns is an apples to oranges argument. We have different stocks and the guns are assembled with different components. His is a Tribute series and mine is a Custom Tribute. The action and barrel are pretty much the same as the Super Grade model 70's on both guns but the tribute is stocked with grade AA walnut and the Custom has AAA, the tribute doesn't have a checkered steel buttplate or the jeweled bolt and extractor that the Custom Tribute has. All of my issues are with the fit, finish, and workmanship with the stock and those components which differ from the Tribute series. I have no idea how the gun will shoot but I doubt it will perform as well as he claims his does on a regular basis. I read his postings, and while anything is possible, I have never seen any sporter weight rifle with a 22" barrel shoot half inch groups at 300 yards and manage to get the same point of impact, with the same sub MOA performance, with 2 completely different loads from factory ammunition using 2 completely different bullets, as he claims he did. I am not saying it is impossible but it is a lot easier to take one target shot at a much closer range and use the sharpie to enhance the story and exaggerate individual abilities or performance. And all of this remarkable marksmanship was performed next to another fellow at the range who had a multi-thousand dollar benchrest rig, with the latest and greatest anemometers, clothing, and optics available, while he shot from a sandbag fashioned from some old clothing and a sewing needle. I swear to you that is what he posted but if I remember correctly he removed the majority of his posts because the story became so ridiculous that his credibility was in obvious jeopardy. Of course he outshot the villain when they went at it side by side and the villain with the big gun sulked and walked away after being embarrassed by such a marksman with the magic gun. He's pretty loyal to the Winchester brand as well and seemed to take my dissatisfaction with my poorly made rifle personally. He even sent me personal messages reprimanding me and insisting that I remove my posts until Winchester had been allowed what he considered sufficient time to correct the deficiencies with my rifle. Of course I told him that refused to be censored by anyone and that I had every right to expect the quality that Winchester advertised the moment I opened the box and inspected the rifle. It is just as likely that he is no more than a simple 14 year old who knows how to utilize photo bucket and trolls for arguments than who or what he says he is, or does. Any examination of his prose and grammar in what he has labeled, �his write up�, indicates that he is certainly no scholar, nor is he a writer of any substance. I do however hope that I am just as happy as he appears to be with his purchase when Winchester returns my stock and the rifle finally gets to the bench minus the obsession. I will be realistic in my expectations however and hope for groups that approach 1 MOA with premium components and meticulous handloads unless I can find some of those �magic bullets� he found at the local Wal-Mart (I believe he said it was a Wal-Mart but I can�t be sure). Regardless, I am sure he will be along following this post shortly because I fear that my gun may have become an obsession to him. His posts will be easy for all to spot. Most of his ramblings look much more like the original manuscripts of Elmer Keith than anything that ever came from the Smith-Corona of Jack O�Connor. Much like Mr. Keith, I am inclined to believe he fits an old saying popular from my youth out west in Oklahoma; He�s all hat and no cattle. I�m confident we will not have to look too hard to find him �����

Last edited by Tenring; 02/17/14.
Tenring Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Horseman,
I have heard far more of this type of story than what I was hoping to hear about the Winchester/Browning repair center. That is why we have these forums I guess and maybe others will benefit from our experiences. The time frame has already changed twice on my problem since this episode began and your story is consistent with many others I have heard from as well. I'll post the final results and hopefully the ending is a happy one.

Last edited by Tenring; 02/17/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tenring-Your stories would be much better to read if you'd occasionally use paragraphs instead of ongoing typing.

Having said that, apparently you know little of the 270 cartridge. There are a few calibers out there that will be different weight bullets to basically the same POI at a given distance and the 270 is one of them. I believe the 257 Roberts is another one. If you don't believe that read some of Jack O'Connor's books or better yet, try it for yourself.

I saw the groups shot by Mystro and have no doubt the group size was just as he depicted in the photos and don't understand why you would doubt that he shot such a group. What would be the motive?

You go from forum to forum whining about this rifle you purchased. Why don't you just sell it when it gets back as I'm sure your magnifying glass will find yet another small flaw to complain about.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
IC B2

Tenring Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Maybe it is a coincidence that all the "Mystro" fans joined this forum in the fall of last year, maybe not. But as I suspected he was easy to find and couldn't help but expose himself.

(new paragraph) I would like to set the record straight and again assert that "while anything is possible", it is doubtful that the postings are credible with the rifle any more than I believe the man made an offhand shot with an iron sighted revolver at 175 yards taking a deer cleanly. I suppose it was a deer, I can't be sure because I didn't see any blood, antlers, or the telltale tongue sticking out of the mouth that I recall deer having after they have expired. Looks like an animal that was struck by a vehicle more than one harvested with a firearm.
(new paragraph) Why do liars lie? Why do cheaters cheat? I have no idea. I am an educated man but regarding the motives for the behavior displayed by dishonest men, I admit that I am not qualified to speak.

(new paragraph) My first new rifle was a 270 Winchester (Savage 110G) and I currently own six others of that caliber from various manufactures as I type this, including one from Winchester that remains disassembled sans stock. I have no idea what is meant by "There are a few calibers out there that will be different weight bullets to basically the same POI at a given distance and the 270 is one of them". The writing is familiar because the grammar is atrocious and the sentence structure does not allow for accurate interpretation so I will assume that the overwhelming majority of script is unmanageable as well.

(new paragraph) I do appreciate all of the valuable comments from those who have had actual dealings with the repair center in Morgan, Utah to help me with my dealings and preparing me for the obstacles that may be ahead trying to get some satisfaction at the conclusion of this saga. However, if you just want to argue about nothing or want to censor me for whatever your obsession or reason then please feel free to not post anything. If my post frustrates you then simply do not read any further and feel free to not leave a reply and unburden yourself of the bondage that my rifle and I bring you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very good.Thanks for the paragraphs. You mentioned something about his being a kid. He cant be a kid, all you have to do is google his name and he shows up all over the place. Here he is on the Hornady web site.

http://www.hornady.com/team-hornady...-xtp-240-realoaded-ammo-david-aka-mystro

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-re...areer-high-point-175yard-shot-629-a.html

Tenring-Just get your M70 back and enjoy it.

Last edited by Kitch; 02/17/14.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
Tenring Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Please just be a gentleman and leave where you are not wanted. I do not want to argue with you any more on this forum than I did on the other and I do not know why you insist that I remain silent about a problem I have with MY rifle. Not your rifle, not your problem, not your business, please go home.

I have no idea why I shouldn't assume that it couldn't be a child TROLLING for a response that is not going to come. Wait, maybe we can ask Manti Te'o what he would do if it were him?

Go home TROLLSTRO...... laugh

See, I told you he would come......

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Tenring, the running battle between you and Mystro on the other forum was amusing to read. However, dragging it into this forum and starting it anew is obnoxious. You guys have two different threads going, one about your problem rifle, one about his glorious specimen. Why not just leave it at that?

Those who are interested in either rifle will follow the respective thread. My guess is that you two won't be happy until you lock horns here too, and that's just bad form seeing as you're both new to the forum.

Just my two cents,
DeWayne

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
What do these rifles sell for new?

MSRP for the Custom Tribute M70 (which is what Tenring purchased) was $2,599 at release.

MSRP for the Tribute M70 (AA Walnut vs AAA in the CT and a recoil pad) was $1,999.

Tom

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sonvolt
Tenring, the running battle between you and Mystro on the other forum was amusing to read. However, dragging it into this forum and starting it anew is obnoxious. You guys have two different threads going, one about your problem rifle, one about his glorious specimen. Why not just leave it at that?

Those who are interested in either rifle will follow the respective thread. My guess is that you two won't be happy until you lock horns here too, and that's just bad form seeing as you're both new to the forum.

Just my two cents,
DeWayne

Amen!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Looks like $1600-$2200,depending on the grade.

Some of the posts on that firing line thread are hilarious!

There is one in Scheels in Sioux Falls discounted to $1440. Looks pretty well crafted although I haven't looked at it closely.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds cheap. Does it come with that nifty rifle case that says Lewision instead of Lewiston??? laugh whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by sonvolt

Just my two cents,
DeWayne

Amen!!

Some enjoy making life difficult and then getting to bitch about it.

laissez les bons temps rouler
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tenring: Sorry to hear of your disappointing Rifle!
How did you purchase said Rifle?
Apparently you bought it without seeing it before hand?
Anyway I hope the replacement makes up for the disappointing first Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Tenring Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Dewayne, I have no intentions of ever having any type of conversation or exchange with the fellow from the other forum ever again. You are right in one sense, if he did follow me to this forum that would be bad form and if I was in fact a new member who simply joined this forum to find a new audience for an argument, that too would be pretty childish. However, I have been a member of this forum since the summer of 2002 which is a little more than a decade here. I don't post a lot because I just read most of the time and I try to pay particular attention to the amount of time someone has been in this forum and weigh their comments and advice accordingly.

Tenring Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I did purchase the rifle without ever seeing it in person via Gunbroker. There were several pictures of the gun but none so close that would reveal any of the flaws found when handling the gun.

I didn't spend a lot of time inspecting the gun during the FFL transfer because I really just wanted to get out of there because it is a very, very small shop and it was far too crowded with no room to actually inspect the rifle anyway because the place is covered in glass counters that they don't want anything put on them and the floor space is covered with racks of long guns for sale. The thought never entered my mind that a new in the box rifle of this quality would have so many flaws.

I have purchased several guns via Gunbroker over the years and have been very happy with the results. I still didn't feel like it was the dealers fault that the gun had these flaws but I did include them on every email sent to Winchester and I sent them an email before I contacted Winchester just to let them know that I had a problem and would be sending the gun in for repairs. I also called the dealer and spoke to an employee to verify that this gun was not a factory second or previously owned and he said that the gun had only been out of the box for pictures since its arrival from the distributor but he did not take the pictures and did not know who did.

I really believe I just got a lemon from Winchester which could happen to anybody but I wanted to post my issues just to find out if anybody else had any issues with their JOC Custom Tribute rifles, particularly with issues similar to mine, but to date only 6 other people have sent me responses stating that they returned their JOC Custom Tributes to Winchester and 2 of those were barrel issues and not wood to metal or stock workmanship issues. I just hope Winchester does get the stock right and all ends well.

I planned to hunt with the rifle anyway so I expected some loss of value but I do plan to take care of the gun and hope to retain as much value as possible. Being a fan of Jack O'Connor since my youth I probably built the expectations for this rifle a little too high. I know it doesn't look exactly like Mr. O'Connors rifle, and likely wont shoot as well as his did either, but it should be a rifle he would be proud to own if it has his name on it.

Last edited by Tenring; 02/18/14.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Tenring
Dewayne, I have no intentions of ever having any type of conversation or exchange with the fellow from the other forum ever again. You are right in one sense, if he did follow me to this forum that would be bad form and if I was in fact a new member who simply joined this forum to find a new audience for an argument, that too would be pretty childish. However, I have been a member of this forum since the summer of 2002 which is a little more than a decade here. I don't post a lot because I just read most of the time and I try to pay particular attention to the amount of time someone has been in this forum and weigh their comments and advice accordingly.

You may of joined 2002 but only have 37 post and 1/2 are about that rifle. You have no history here.

You'll find some of us do post on other sites and you did join FL and first post was the review of that rifle. You have what 29/30 post about that rifle on FL in less than month.

I post on difference sites no law against that.

USMC
Life Member VFW
Tenring Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Roper,
your right, I don't post a lot because I don't have a lot to say regarding most posts and I generally try to avoid childish pissing contests like the one your trying to bait me into. If I have experience on a particular subject, or solicit someone for experience that may be of help to me, then I will post. I don't want to argue with anyone, especially about things that do not matter because there is no benefit to either party.

This thread is about my experience with my JOC rifle. If you have nothing to contribute to the post regarding the subject of the post there is no need for your input. I'm sorry I don't have more time to break down the metrics of your posts and follow you on other forums but the fact is, I just don't have the time, and if I did, I wouldn't waste it on something so ridiculous.

Also, there is no need to reply to this post because I have no use for your input unless it is relevant to my original post. I subscribe to the theory of George Carlin who once stated, "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.�

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Tenring, you say you "try to avoid childish p*ssing contests" yet you have a lengthy post above implying Mystro's accuracy claims are bogus. This is just one example. My point is that you don't have to be talking TO him to be obnoxious, talking ABOUT him will suffice. And in no way am I defending him - I think he was all too happy to follow you here hoping something like this would break out.

At some point, you gotta recognize that the internet brings out the worst in people and just walk away from the impulse to right the world's wrongs in every post. Just let it go, man. It doesn't make either one of you look good.

DeWayne

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (338rcm, 160user, 300_savage, 44mc, 470Evans, 35, 11 invisible), 1,904 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,494
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.