Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
120 NBT from a 7-08 @2950 is like lightning strike on deer. Pretty much any mid/lightweight NBT moving fast into the boiler room is going to smash them like a hammer.

RLTW
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by a12
Only one round in this discussion has earned the title, "Death Ray". The 257 WBY magnum goes beyond the science of bullet types, shot selection, etc. It's a mystical round and the king of DRT.

This is surprising. Tell me how this happens?

I have yet to see any round elevate itself above bullets and placement,certainly none have reached the level of "mystical"....but have never used a 257 Weatherby....only the 257 Roberts and 25/06 in 25 caliber.

I've seen the 257 Weatherby in action on probably a half dozen big game animals. It worked just like a lot of other high velocity rounds. Shot in the right place, animals died quickly. Shot in the wrong place, they ran off and died somewhere else after some more shooting.

PG that's what I sort of figured...... I don't believe in magic.

The effects of high velocity are pretty well known,and I don't see why they should apply any more to a 257 Roy than to anything comparable,or more potent. After all, it's only a 25....admittedly a fast one, but still just a 25 caliber.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by WSM_Shooter
If you are ruining too much meat with BT's you are hitting them in the wrong spot or you like ribs and lungs! BT's are at their best with lung shots. They turn everything to soup. I expect the reason I get so many DRT kills is because I use more than enough gun and shoot mostly calm deer. However I have had DRT with a .260 rem and 129 grain Interlocks, go figure. However the deer was only 100 yards but feeding and totally unsuspecting.

My longest death runs were deer who were aware I was there. One was shot with a .300 Win Mag at about 50 yards with a BT. The other was shot at about 150 yards with a 7.5x55 and a 150 grain Interlock. Both deer were alerted to my presence and were about to bolt when hit.

You are a better man than I am. Ability to get the perfect broadside shot every time.

Sometimes I have to involve parts that I'd like to eat. And yes ribs, if not overly fat, are very good on the grill. Not all like them though. But if I put that BT in the wrong place, either entry or exit, due to angling shots.. ugh.

As to shooting enough gun, all I can say is still to this day the most bang flops I've ever had, was with a 243 win...... the 300 mags I"ve had, just have rarely rarely dropped deer where they stand. Even with light for caliber bullets running fast... 150 barnes to the max would not do it. 168 ballistic tips would not eihter. Though those BTs are impressive for head shots.

I have shot very few deer that have any clue I"m around, and when I have to, I fully expect them to run.

And then ran a 185 berger bullet into one this year as he had me made... and danged if the 308 didn't put him on the ground inside of 20 steps.... go figure.

So I just will generally go with a gun/bullet combo that will take any angle shot at the max distance I might attempt, and be happy with that ability.

Who cares if I have to follow them a bit into the bush...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.280 Rem using 150 gr. Nosler Partitions. The only time I had a deer move after shooting it with a .280, I was using 139 gr. SST's. Not a fan of them as I got no blood trail at all from it. I used 140 gr. NBT with great success in the .280 and 7mm-08.

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

The effects of high velocity are pretty well known,and I don't see why they should apply any more to a 257 Roy than to anything comparable,or more potent. After all, it's only a 25....admittedly a fast one, but still just a 25 caliber.[/quote] What is comparable or more potent than a 257 WBY?

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by a12

The effects of high velocity are pretty well known,and I don't see why they should apply any more to a 257 Roy than to anything comparable,or more potent. After all, it's only a 25....admittedly a fast one, but still just a 25 caliber.
What is comparable or more potent than a 257 WBY? [/quote]

Any 7mm Magnum....or 264 WM....or 300 mag....or (?).

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
375 RUM using 260 Nosler BT 's or 250 Sierra BT's

Last edited by RinB; 02/19/14.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RinB
375 RUM using 260 Nosler BT 's or 250 Sierra BT's

Laffin' grin

I am unworthy....and too meek.

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/19/14.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
338 win mag using 200 gr. barnes ttx bullets I have never had a deer take more than two steps. So far shot 9 deer with this combination. A bit of an overkill some might say but I like not searching especially in this thick south Texas brush

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I killed a feral goat on the run at about 150 yards with a 300gn Hornady HP loaded a little over 3000fps in my .460.

When I went up to the carcass, the bullet smashed everything calcium related so my boot felt like it was touching a hessian bag (Sugar bag to Aussies) full of nuts and bolts. The hide over the spine split about 5 inches from the pressure of expansion within the chest cavity.

It never heard the shot.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jgotro
338 win mag using 200 gr. barnes ttx bullets I have never had a deer take more than two steps. So far shot 9 deer with this combination. A bit of an overkill some might say but I like not searching especially in this thick south Texas brush

Have shot quite a bit with 338 win mag, 210 ttsx bullets. Only bang flops again have been head shots.

I doubt there is any difference between your loads and mine. But I bet there is shot placement difference.

I too hunt the thick stuff down south, but we've had no issues trailing deer, its not a big deal, follow the blood, leads to the deer. Get a few spines dragging em out though.

We did have an issue trailing one I shot wiht my 50 bmg though once... she only bled where she fell, about 200 yards away, after punching both lungs.... lucky she took a deer trail as we followed more than a few to find her. So much for the 50 not needing good bullets too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
50 bmg right through the chest and out the rear...filets em out!!!

hahahaha Nahhhh one year I shot 8 w/ my 7-08 that went no where but down...Winchester Ballistic tips. Then again, I shot and never found a deer this year at about 10 yards due to a twig busting my bullet causing it to pulverize an area between the shoulder and backbone. Bled fer about 50 yards and ceased! Scoured the area w/ a dog, and no luck!!! It made an awesome (except loosing the deer) video since I had a GoPro on my gun.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
50 bmg, most just assume, becuase they have NO clue.

It does almost no damage at all. Of course its big, but its slow.

We ate right up to the 50 cal hole in the doe I shot with mine.

Like I said, no blood trail and hard to find, but she was dead.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've refrained from posting on this long thread until now, but couldn't stand it anymore. My experience is the same as Jeff Rost's: A lot of cartridges look like magic killers until you use them a lot.

I went through a period during the late 1980's and 1990's when I thought the .338 Winchester Magnum was THE ANSWER. This was because I killed a lot of animals in both North America and Africa with it, using various bullets from 200-250 grains, and none went over 25-30 yards before falling, most a lot less. The animals included everything from doe whitetails to Alaskan moose.

Then one day I shot a caribou bull with the 210 Partition, right through the top of the heart and both lungs. Caribou aren't particularly hard to kill, but the bull went 75 yards with enough blood spraying from both the entrance and exit wounds to leave a double blood trail across the tundra, then stood there for a while before falling. In fact I was ready to shoot him again and was starting to tighten on the trigger when he finally keeled over.

If I shot enough animals, similar things always happened with other rounds I thought were magic (though never as certainly as with the .338) from the .257 Weatherby Magnum to the 9.3x62 Mauser.

Have seen more quick kills with bullets that fragment more than those that hold together more, but even then there can be LOTS of variation.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would disagree on the 50 BMG being slow.
all depends on the bullet too.

12k+ ft/lbs is nothing to slouch about. and with a 750 amax at even 2600+ fps.... it'll leave a hole!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
22-250 with regular 55 gr SPoint 100 to 300 yards. Deer and antelope

7mm RM with 160 speer mag tips elk. all less than 150 yards

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've refrained from posting on this long thread until now, but couldn't stand it anymore. My experience is the same as Jeff Rost's: A lot of cartridges look like magic killers until you use them a lot.

I went through a period during the late 1980's and 1990's when I thought the .338 Winchester Magnum was THE ANSWER. This was because I killed a lot of animals in both North America and Africa with it, using various bullets from 200-250 grains, and none went over 25-30 yards before falling, most a lot less. The animals included everything from doe whitetails to Alaskan moose.

Then one day I shot a caribou bull with the 210 Partition, right through the top of the heart and both lungs. Caribou aren't particularly hard to kill, but the bull went 75 yards with enough blood spraying from both the entrance and exit wounds to leave a double blood trail across the tundra, then stood there for a while before falling. In fact I was ready to shoot him again and was starting to tighten on the trigger when he finally keeled over.

If I shot enough animals, similar things always happened with other rounds I thought were magic (though never as certainly as with the .338) from the .257 Weatherby Magnum to the 9.3x62 Mauser.

Have seen more quick kills with bullets that fragment more than those that hold together more, but even then there can be LOTS of variation.
So does one experience out of many mean that the .338 isn't one heck of a round on deer? A good friend hunted whitetails with the .338 WIN and it stomped 'em. Just more gun that I want to shoot. Of course, not every shot is going to instantly put an animal down, but I've shot enough deer with various rounds to come up a good sample size. It seems that Rost had incredible bad luck out of the 257 WBY and 338 WIN on DRTs or he is sandbagging his results a bit. The "I aim for lungs, therefore I don't have DRTs" doesn't work for me. Both of those rounds will drop deer instantly with lung only hits at times. Not everytime for sure, but not to the point that it never happens.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My answer, a no good, low down, 270 Winchester loaded with anything from a 130 to 150 grain projectile. Just seems to work every time I've tried it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I would disagree on the 50 BMG being slow.
all depends on the bullet too.

12k+ ft/lbs is nothing to slouch about. and with a 750 amax at even 2600+ fps.... it'll leave a hole!

Well, if 2600 fps isn't slow, these days, I don't know what slow is.

Have not had the chance to use an amax on a deer, but from watching other rounds, speed tends to make a difference.

How many have you shot with the amax, and what was the hole like? I have barnes on hand if i ever buy a press for my 50...

I'm interested to know the results, the boards I read said no problem with ball ammo, would knock em off their feet... yeah right, what I get for listening to the interenet.

That was a long 200 yards looking for a deer... in south texas brush.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by a12
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

So does one experience out of many mean that the .338 isn't one heck of a round on deer? A good friend hunted whitetails with the .338 WIN and it stomped 'em. Just more gun that I want to shoot. Of course, not every shot is going to instantly put an animal down, but I've shot enough deer with various rounds to come up a good sample size. It seems that Rost had incredible bad luck out of the 257 WBY and 338 WIN on DRTs or he is sandbagging his results a bit. The "I aim for lungs, therefore I don't have DRTs" doesn't work for me. Both of those rounds will drop deer instantly with lung only hits at times. Not everytime for sure, but not to the point that it never happens.

I don't sandbag results. Its how it happened. I long ago gave up on DRT just due to a round.

I will tell you this, if I chose to shoot a more frangible bullet, like a nosler ballistic tip, which I don't and won't unless they are slow or subsonic uses, then I can see more DRT. And if I'd choose to run teh rounds as fast as I could, then I could see it.

But I don't. And I'm happy with the results.

I'm CLOSE to DRT with the 257 wtby, my buddys and my results have shown that you really don't have to blood trail generally speaking, they are goign to be 20-30 yards maybe to 50 so far... with one exception and after my wife finally found his doe, had we gone back to look, she may not have been more than 50-60 yards from teh shot, but in wicked thicket and round about way to get to her....

Of course I rarely have to follow my 308 deer very far either...

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 45 invisible), 1,810 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,002
Posts18,520,503
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.