Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'm thinking guns and unsupervised teens do not mix. i keep my guns in the safe at all times. i have twin teenagers and taught them well but they do not shoot unsupervised. and i live in the country with no close neighbors.

My diploma is a DD214

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jnyork
Your son is in serious need of adult supervision and training, just sending them off to Hunter Education class in not enough. Your neighbor needs his azz kicked.

+1 to that

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jnyork
Your son is in serious need of adult supervision and training, just sending them off to Hunter Education class in not enough. Your neighbor needs his azz kicked.

Yes sir, he's in trouble. I have had him in a duckblind since he was 5 and he has been hunting since he was 8. He killed his first goose with a 20 ga. when he was 8. He has always been very careful and I have always taught him to be safe. He is almost 16 and I just started to give him a little rope cause i was hunting by myself when i was 12 or 13. He had a head in the ass moment and that mixed with a very windy day led shot falling in a bad place and I plan on going through hunter safety with him for the second time. He has always been supervised till lately when hunting and I will now shorten his rope.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
didn't see, I only heard but my wife said a revolver.

That ain't right. I'm afraid we'd have to have a little talk about that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Anyone who has spent a lot of time outdoors in areas where bird hunting is common has probably had a birdshot shower, which is fairly harmless.

I seriously doubt that your son's birdshot rained on his roof. 3-400 yards is just too far for me to believe. For the moment, I call BS on the neighbor's story. You at least have to consider the possibility that your son did absolutely nothing unsafe.

If you want to believe that birdshot did rain on your neighbor's roof, there is a world of difference between the actions of your son and the actions of your neighbor. If the neighbor's story is true, then what your son did was possibly careless and disrespectful, but not forseeably dangerous to life or property. Your neighbor's action was a chargeable felony, and a direct threat to life and property. Now if he was shooting with a revolver, at targets 3-400 yards away, he probably wasn't likely to kill anyone, but it's still a felony.

My suggestion is that you'll probably have this person as a neighbor for a while, and you're better off telling him that you'll forego prosecution. Your neighbor ought to be the one apologizing, but if you want a good neighbor, you're better off not making that a condition.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Your son did nothing wrong , he doesn't need any more education , at least not for some shot falling on someones house. Buying him some ammo and tell him to go crow hunting again . Your neighbor is the one who needs some more education .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Is it possible your neighbor is full of [bleep]?

7.5's ain't going that far with or without wind.

I'd hate to see a kid that actually likes to play outside lose privileges because of a [bleep] up neighbor.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Unsupervised teens with guns? Heck, I was hunting by myself at ten years old. And if I hadn't been, I doubt I would have turned into much of a hunter. My dad was too busy working to do much but on the weekends and with a farm, most of the time not then either. By the time I was actually a teen, I did whatever I wanted with a gun. I figure a 12 year old with a gun, even a slightly reckless one, is about fifty times less dangerous than your average 16 year old behind the wheel of daddy's pick-up and most of you don't bat an eye at that.

As for birdshot, anyone who ever bird hunted or squirrel hunted has had it rain down on you and it is harmless. A shot in the air with birdshot, is a safe shot. It might be rude to shoot so that shot ends up on your neighbor's roof, but it isn't dangerous in the slightest.

Last edited by JoeBob; 02/22/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good Plan SealBilly. Kids are gonna make mistakes. And if that's the worst he ever does while hunting, you've done a good job. Just remember, kids today are probably not quite as mature as we were at that same age.

Like you, I've been hunting on my own, and was allowed to run wild on our Ranch with a .22 or a single shot 16ga un-supervised since I was about 11 or 12.
I'm sure I made some bone-headed mistakes, and was just damn lucky my old man didn't see them, or catch me in the act. Luckily, I somehow survived to reach adulthood.

My Dad used what I like to call the "Tony Lama" method of Gun Saftey on me & my little brother.
Another words, if we pointed a gun in a un-safe direction, he would bury his pointed toe Tony Lama boots right up our ass with a swift kick you didn't soon forget. Of course, nowadays, that would be considered child abuse!

I'm Not recommending that for your son, though. I don't have any children, but every one of my Neices & Nephews have rifles & shotguns that I bought them and trained them with. And my patience & a little positive re-enforcement has gone a long way in teaching them all good firearms saftey, and also safe gun handling & hunting.
Like I said, all kids make mistakes. Let him know how serious it could have been, and like you said, tighten up the ole lease for now. I bet he will be just fine, and grow up to be a fine young man.

As for your neighbor, he's damn lucky it wasn't my child or neice or nephew that he randomly returned fire at in a general direction! I'm not very patient at all with an idiot that just returns fire in the direction of a gunshot that he "heard"
That SOB would be eating his next few meals through a straw, if you know what I mean!

In my 40+ years of Dove Hunting, I've been peppered with bird shot a time or two. It does happen when you have a lot of hunters in a 600 acre milo field, with the doves flying hot and heavy. It feels like light rain drops, so when the shooter is 400 yards away, not a whole lot of chance for a serious injury.
Personally, I doubt the #7.5 shot ever reached your neighbors house at 400 yards. My guess was the guy heard gunshots & just decided to show his ass by Acting Stupid. If he was randomly shooting pistol rounds at your son and your wife witnessed the act, I would Definately file charges on him! JMHO, though.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 02/22/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't see that your son did anything wrong. If he was 300-400 yards from the house, any reasonable person (teen or adult) wouldn't think that to be unsafe with that type of weapon/load.

Your neighbor, on the other hand, recklessly fired a weapon in the direction he knew people to be. He's guilty of a crime in every state I'm aware of

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
my wife was screaming its reid up there stop shooting and he just kept on shooting. He knows reid and also knows he is the only one who hunts up there and he only bird hunt and you only hunt birds with a shotgun.

Who on earth would keep shooting with a kid's mom begging them to stop?

The guy is incredibly malicious or functionally deranged or both.

Ordinarily I'd be all about reconciliation, sorting stuff out informally, and not involving Cops.

But in this case sounds like he's already crossed a line. What's next? One of you having to deploy deadly force?

Based upon the facts presented here I'd file charges.

JMHO,
Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
my neighbor would shoot a gun at my child once

and only once.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
ok what is making this thread weird to me is people are more worried about how far shot will travel than how people act or the safety of my kids. So here is the deal do the math if it makes you feel better.

My property is 288 feet long north to south the corner of the field is about another 50 yards north and maybe 150 yards west. My neighbors house is close to another 300 feet from the south end of my property making the blind we shoot crows out of kind of northwest of his house. Ridge is about a 30 degree incline and is about 100 yards tall. Hell I don't know it could be closer to 200 250 yards I suck at math and I'm a shot gun guy who doesnt give a $hit if it isnt within 50 yards not a rifle shooter that can say that's 207 yards dead flippin nuts on the money cause I shot a crow with a 204 that had one blue eye at 207 yards and I know 207 yards like the top of my weenie.

Point being its a long ways and the distance of the shot fall isn't what's important. I mean wth some idiot shot in the direction of my son who I love more than life on purpose.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ive had shot rain down on me many times in the woods, not a big deal at all...your neighbor sounds like an idiot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would have filed charges on that SOB in a heart beat! Some one earlier in this thread mentioned apologizing to the neighbor, and not filing charges as to keep peace with a "neighbor" or something to that effect.
If that SOB took random shots at my KID, I'd make damn sure he knew that he was not going to be MY neighbor, and even if that meant going to court.
That guy is unstable to say the least, if he did what your wife said & witnessed, and is a danger to everyone in your neigborhood.

Also, some certain Campfire Posters are always criticizing LE on here for being too quick to arrest someone.
If I had been SealBilly, I'd of been damn pissed if the responding officer DID NOT take that SOB directly to jail!

Whether the kid made an honest mistake or if the neighbor was just lying, That SOB committed a crime with the stupid ass stunt he pulled. I'm sure it would be at least a Class A Misdomeanor, or probably even a Class C Felony! Either way, I damn sure wouldn't won't that unstable SOB around my Wife or Kids !!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Your neighbor was completly out of line and should be prosecuted before he hurts someone. As a father I'm just glad to hear that your boy is ok. All kids use poor judgement at times, and I'm not saying yours did, but for someone to shoot at someone over that is psychotic. Your neighbor is sick and should get some help. This could have ended much worse.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 02/22/14.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by KFWA
my neighbor would shoot a gun at my child once

and only once.

Not often I agree with you. But on this I do.

MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm not fileing charges but I told the cops right in front of my wife and the neighbor if he ever comes outside with a gun and shoot up into the woods when my son is hunting on top of the ridge again I most esuredly will take his life and you can put that in your report. And I will, without hesitation. I don't give a damn about anything in this world, money, material stuff all that crap but my family and my friends are worth more that anything to me.

I have give that man fish that I have caught, rope that was gonna be thrown away at work after a wire pull, took him bowls of chilli when I made a big pot and was the first one to welcome him when he moved here. I put a 2200 dollar fence in my back yard so my beagles would stay out of his garden, he was to dang stupid to understand they were killing the rabbits that were eating his garden. I just don't understand.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's entirely possible for shot to travel 200-300 yds and fall HARMLESSLY to the ground.

The neighbor needs to be charged for his actions, but the boy really didn't do anything "wrong", and doesn't deserve any punishment at all

Last edited by Snyper; 02/22/14.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by seal_billy
ok what is making this thread weird to me is people are more worried about how far shot will travel than how people act or the safety of my kids. So here is the deal do the math if it makes you feel better.

My property is 288 feet long north to south the corner of the field is about another 50 yards north and maybe 150 yards west. My neighbors house is close to another 300 feet from the south end of my property making the blind we shoot crows out of kind of northwest of his house. Ridge is about a 30 degree incline and is about 100 yards tall. Hell I don't know it could be closer to 200 250 yards I suck at math and I'm a shot gun guy who doesnt give a $hit if it isnt within 50 yards not a rifle shooter that can say that's 207 yards dead flippin nuts on the money cause I shot a crow with a 204 that had one blue eye at 207 yards and I know 207 yards like the top of my weenie.

Point being its a long ways and the distance of the shot fall isn't what's important. I mean wth some idiot shot in the direction of my son who I love more than life on purpose.

PREZACTLY !!!

The more I think about the Incadent, the madder I get! mad THAT Sorry SOB endangered the life of your Kid, and it seems like the responding LEO wasn't even concerned about the saftey of your Family! That SOB should have been in the back of a Patrol Car in Handcuffs, and headed straight to Jail! I think if I was you, I'd be having a conversation with the local Police Chief or Sherriff, of that Agency first thing Monday Morning. And My First Question would be " why the hell ain't that SOB in Jail, and why hasen't his handgun been logged in as evidence!
And I would bet money that most of the LEO guys here on the Fire would agree that it is quite a serious matter or Offense! Again, JMO, though.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 02/22/14.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,563
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.