Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by Techsan
Prairie - which one would you rather spend the day hunting with, then relax around the fire with a plate of game and some bourbon?

I suspect they would be entertaining and good company in their own right. But comparing Texas to Alaska for hunting is like comparing North Korea to America in a "Which country do you prefer" contest.

I agree. Texas is way better. You can kill as hogs, deer, and exotics galore year round. In Alaska you get a few tags every year and short.big game seasons.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Prairie - what game did you hunt in Texas? What part(s) of Texas have you hunted in? Did you hunt with a friend, or utilize a guide or go solo? What was it about your experience that soured you on Texas?

Last edited by Techsan; 03/01/14.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
...But comparing Texas to Alaska for hunting is like comparing North Korea to America in a "Which country do you prefer" contest.

I've not had the pleasure of hunting in Alaska. Hunting in Texas can be excellent� However the access to that hunting can be problematic, or at least expensive�

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hondo - you're right about that, if you don't own property you can hunt on, or have friends or family that have property, your options are somewhat limited to paying an expensive lease. That's a consequence of most of the state being in private hands.

Additionally, while I don't want to stir a pot, hunting from a stand/blind over a feeder is not hunting. It's a relatively easy way to shoot something, but it's not hunting (my personal opinion). Hell, I may have just answered the questions I posed to Prairie.:)

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'sco1,

I enjoy The Paper Hat Brigade's "justifications" of formulatin' excuses not to shoot,as they trumpet the merits of the latest Coal Burner they read about. In fairness,a whole box of ammo is a bunch. Laffin'!

Pretend ain't real,despite their best efforts and hearts bein' in it.(grin)

'Groove,

Here's to your inherent ability,to take Stupidity to places it's never been before.

Cyber haybale to you.

Laffin'!

Dooshmike,

It is simply a shame,that you are devoid the IQ,to process what an incredibly inept clueless dumbfhukk you are. I mean,you're doing "great". Laffin'!

I enjoy your keen "knowledge" of all the things you talk out your ass about. HILARIOUS schit! In fairness,Big Game Season(s) run ALL 12 months of the year here,if only to burst more of your bubbles. The number of gratis tags,would pop even more of your bubbles...not that you don't reliably do same on accident,with your pointy head and tinfoil hat.

It remains a hoot,that you poor poor stupid [bleep] who "do" the least,Whine the most.

Bless your heart.

PS and by the way...what happened to them rifle "particulars"?!?

Laffin'!

'goat,

Do not slight the allure of pointy boots,fence-hoppin' and Golf Cartin'...as a means to arrange 90-PSI body cavities,in order to set the bar.

Laffin'!

G',

Meat gets shot in the ear,Booners get broken shoulders.

Don't twist your ankle in a field,as you "live" on the edge.

Laffin'!

'64d,

Having 17,000,000 acres of access in my backyard,prolly don't suck.(grin)

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it would suffice to say that Texas doesn't offer the kind of hunting that folks like prairie_goat and I are after... Because it's Texas.

Still looks fun though.

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoy your keen "knowledge" of all the things you talk out your ass about. HILARIOUS schit! In fairness,Big Game Season(s) run ALL 12 months of the year here,if only to burst more of your bubbles

Huh, you show surprisingly few pics of big game that you've harvested for having "year round seasons"? Must be too busy catching the same fish.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I didn't know all Alaskan big game can be legally hunted year round. That is pretty cool.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Tanner
I think it would suffice to say that Texas doesn't offer the kind of hunting that folks like prairie_goat and I are after... Because it's Texas.

Still looks fun though.

Tanner

...make no mistake...no matter where I was at I'd enjoy whatever could be hunted every chance I could.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Same here JCM. Hard to complain about any chance to hunt.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Still looks fun though.

Tanner

...make no mistake...no matter where I was at I'd enjoy whatever could be hunted every chance I could.

Undoubtedly. An absolutely awful day hunting (not sure if those exist) is always going to beat the heck out of a great day at work.

Tanner

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Still looks fun though.

Tanner

What kind of hunting is that?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Dooshmike,

Just how many Critters can you eat a year?

In fairness...it is difficult to keep your bottom sucking mouth offa hook,no matter how I cast. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

'san,

I never said nor hinted,that "all" Game was open "all" year.

There ain't a single month of the year,less opportunity to punch a Tag of some flavor and them Tags is both numerous and gratis.

It may not appeal to everyone.

'CUBIC,

Never was tough to cypher who wears out boots and makes empties.(grin)

That constant...remains a constant.

Tanner,

You've had the wrong job(s),if only as a starter.(grin)

Much to be said for Hunting while at work. Money might even grow on trees.

Hint.

'Raider,

Mebbe say sumptin' about a Rapid Fire Barbed Wire Rifle and speak of it's "merits",in your "demanding" situations.

You Whining Clueless Kchunt.

What's today's excuse(s) gonna be?!?

Laffin'!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JG- the dumber I get and the more I hike, the more I like the alpine and putting stuff in my backpack. I'm far from good at it, but damnit it's fun.

Chasing stuff around high places is what I mean when I say the "kind of hunting I'm looking for".

But I can't say I wouldn't like seeing one of those Texas mulies that you have a handle on!

Tanner

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Still looks fun though.

Tanner

Texas does offer the open range big game hunting in the mountains that prairie_goat, you, and I do lots every year. It's a land ownership issues. West Texas has amazing hunting like "we" love and live for. Big open spaces away from people is absolutely where it's at. One of the reasons I moved to Arizona.

However, Texas has significantly more to offer than its reputation on the fire from folks who just haven't done much or any hunting there. Just saying...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Techsan
I didn't know all Alaskan big game can be legally hunted year round. That is pretty cool.

Not all game. But you can hunt something (BG), all year in AK.

What seems to get missed in TX vs AK comparos is that AK is an immense wilderness. If you have the means and will, you have an outdoor paradise at your disposal. The land, wilderness, and opportunities are out there if you make it happen. Its all up to you.

Texas has fun and sun, but unless you own a big-ass ranch you are dependent on someone else. You need access. Even if you own a ranch, more than likely it pales in comparison to the public land in many western states... and AK is the grand-daddy of all for those with gumption.

Got a buddy with a ranch in Texas. I declined last year's trip for pig shootin'. They got quad-wheelers and a chopper for fun. I plan to go next time for fun and sun. Wouldn't mind doing some coastal fishing too. But it sure as hell won't be a wilderness experience. More like springbreak for grownups.

Another buddy has a fishing charter in AK. When not fishing, he's a hunting fool. Haven't figured out when/what I'll hunt up there with him but it probably won't involve feeders or fences of any sort, no matter how far spread grin

After spending a little bit of time in AK and TX, I'd have to say TX does hold a veddy slight edge in one area... good looking women grin . Met more than a few women in AK that are tougher than the average man down here eek!

Jason

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
B - I think it's great you can spend every day of the year hunting some type of game. We can do the same in Texas. Beautiful country you live in, I hope to hunt there some day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Greg,

What's the status on resident elk tags in AZ? Are there any OTC tags or is it 100% draw? How many points, roughly, to draw a decent tag?

Lived in AZ for a few years. Liked the mix of desert, mountains, and Mogo rim country.

Jason

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The real question is whether the 243 or the 7-08 is better in Alaska or Texas.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Chasing stuff around high places is what I mean when I say the "kind of hunting I'm looking for".

Tanner

The terrain has an appeal all its own. Not a lot of true alpine hunting here but canyons and breaks with green ribbons and quaky patches that make the heart race for those that like wide open areas.

J

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (29aholic, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 204guy, 264mag, 48 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,205
Posts18,524,204
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.