Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 58 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 57 58
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave,

Yeah, but I'm not claiming to have the Holy Grail of load development. Just shoot to find velocity (pseudo ladder), load to check accuracy, then test at 500y. This and some other methods seem to get to the same place with a lot less rounds fired. Really simple methods.

Laddering uses long distances to tease-out the loads. Longer distances should show levels of accuracy better. But you also add variables due to wind. Add the fact that horizontal winds affects vertical and how do you know if the 0.1gr difference is due to charge or wind? All testing is done 400-600y. If someone wants to confirm at 100-200 yards, now they shoot even more rounds?

And I'm not saying that everyone isn't getting to the same spot. Some direct, some the scenic route, and maybe some the long way 'round. The thread is about ladders. The method has been questioned so how about some science to back up this approach?

In the end, it don't matter what method is used as long as the shooter gets the accuracy they want. But ladders are like a Holy Grail. The Grail comes up in other aspects of life, investing for example. Just because it works once, twice, or 50 times doesn't mean its the only way, the best way, or even a great way (hidden in a bunch of fluff).

I said I'd buy some ladders and ditch my simplistic method, but the validity of laddering needs to be proven with repeatability and normally distributed data. If its such a great method, you'd think this would have already been done. Maybe it has, that's why I keep asking grin

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/06/14.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Here's 3 @ the 3 from yesterday afternoon.

[Linked Image]

'Flave Precision simply kicks all sorts of ass.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
B,

[Linked Image]

Bwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

I take notes all the time......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In fact, most every shot is chron'd and noted, and records kept.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jason

The fact that the Audette showed two nodes and each one produced an accurate load proves its repeatability. At the time I shot the Audette, I didn't even try the upper velocity node. I loaded the lower node and was happy with its velocity, accuracy and distinct lack of vertical at long range.

I wore the barrel out.

Two things are commonly done when accuracy fades with barrel wear; increase COAL and/or increase charge. Both are an attempt to increase pressure to match the original, accurate load had that throat wear negated.

The upper velocity node was there when the barrel was new and for a while when it was much older and worn. Repeatability.

Try this and I have when I first started shooting Audettes.

Take a rifle that you already have an accurate load derived from another method. Shoot an Audette from below the load in charge to above where you already know pressure is. See if your load is in the Audette's accuracy node. It will be.

This is what the case was with my 243 WSSM and the 70 gr BT

Since then, I go the direct route with the Audette. It does everything in one test all at once. Finds accuracy with lack of vertical for a long range load and top end pressure for your rifle/component choice

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BountyHunter
For the interested persons that really want to know does the ladder work and how, here is the best explanation of the ladder in reality AND the results in competition with methodology, targets and match results.

BTW, the gun Jason used was a 14.4 lb light gun, straight BR case and he competed and won against much heavier heavy guns.

www.6mmbr.com/laddertest.html

www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek003/

I took a new heavy gun three days before the VA state championships ran a ladder, took the load in the middle of the node for vertical AND MV, refined seating depth the next night and then won the state championship the day after in Heavy Gun class.

So does the ladder with chrono work to develop extremely accurate loads? Hell yes, proven time and time again by the best 1k BR shooters and no self serving obnoxcious internet dipschitt naysays it, but too damn gutless to post his load development process can prove otherwise.

BTW(Pictures of "someones" reloading bench and guns does not prove schitt) so do not bother posting on something that is obviously over your feeble mind.

Laffin!

That's a REALLY good post BH!

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
4th,

That was close...I [bleep] near bought a ladder.

Laffin'!

'flave,

I was hotter than [bleep],all day yesterday...with a half dozen or so rifles that I tossed in the crummy.

Was flogging on a Rock barreled 223AI purty hard,post bolt bushing and love the rifle more than ever.

She was a sloppy bitch,in issued guise.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Mo' bettah.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Same lot of formed 50's...post bushing.

[Linked Image]

Will poke another in the Mail.(grin)

G,

Sweetheart...there ain't NO [bleep] need,for you to perpetually reiterate your incredibly slowwwwwwwww "learning" abilities.

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

'lia,

Sounds like you really get after it. Laffin'!

Kiss,find pressure and rock on.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

'Hunter,

You Whining Clueless Kchunt.

No schit?!? "obnoxcious".

You poor poor stupid [bleep]...I'm crying I'm laughing so hard. Just where do you incredibly stupid [bleep] come from?!?

Just Wow.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Boxer,

Love a bushed bolt on those Remingtons. They really should be SOP for all new builds.

Hate to tell you this, but your bolt handle/shifter fell off at the wrong point. Remington's are supposed to disconnect where the bolt handle contacts the bolt itself.

My 7-08 is wearing a Broughton now. I had no idea something good could from Wisconsin. Learn something new every day.

God bless,
Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great thread!

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Here's 3 @ the 3 from yesterday afternoon.

[Linked Image]

'Flave Precision simply kicks all sorts of ass.

Travis

Ain't that the same metal you stamp your custom actions out of?

What I don't get is this: If a guy has a routine he uses to work up loads, and he's happy with it, WTF should he care what anybody else thinks of it?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Smoke,

I'm not making my own actions. Yet. But when I get my new forge and hammer I'm going to give it a try.

I don't care what anybody else thinks about anything. I just like to argue.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I also guess I have to point out that I knew where the load was gonna be in the above ladder in only 10 shots down the bore of a brand new rifle

[Linked Image]

These 3 shots confirmed it pretty much and ran the grand total of shots fired to 13

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, use what ya like and if you're entered into any matches that I am too, please use anything other than Creighton's!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'flave,

Big Green's .378's,are sloppy [bleep] as a default. C-Note were prolly my worst.

[Linked Image]

The cure done 'er proud.

[Linked Image]

Same lot of ammo,as above.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've tried for multiple 100,000's of rounds to yerk a Big Green shifter off...but haven't yet. Fixin' to go try just that and knock over a few more ladders,here directly.(grin)

If the 308Win weren't sooooooooo awesome,I'd give a 7-08 a whirl.

[Linked Image]

As to Cheese Spouts,I mainly only gun Boots,Brux,Krieger and Mike Rock...with a GREAT preference to West Coast tubes,if only because I got 'em all.

Dooshmike,

I'll feign my "surprise" that the only move you can muster,is to set upon your couchbound kchunt and try to run outta skin and shoot for a 90 PSI Epidermis.

Congratulations?!?

Laffin'!

'pole,

You'da been impressed last night,when I flipped my 1-9" Hart 22-250AI upside down an punched the ADL box tab to 6-48,so I could slam a Torx fastener in the bitch.

Gonna be Standard Fare from now on...[bleep] them itty-bitty phony [bleep] fasteners.

'lia,

You are doing "great",with "all" that "experience"...garnered via "all" them rifles.

Laffin'!

I'm [bleep] cryin' I'm laughing so hard.

Just Wow!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My .17 Rem was pretty bad from the factory. Gre-Tan to the rescue!

.308's are gayer than AIDS.

[bleep] Yo Couch!

Travis

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Was making coffee and filling thermos bottles,then a pard arrived and declared "Hornet Day"...so he's stuffin' 33's in Virgins. I'm torn on whether to put on a Clinic while fire-forming 32's or go for the jugular with the real schit at 3400fps++.(grin) Might could Pearl Harbor him and go Winny 54 wearing a [bleep] Shilen in "K",as he'd never see THAT coming.

[Linked Image]

Nary a cloud in the sky,nor a breath of wind,so it's a fair to middlin' LR Fire-Form Day.

Have heard good thangs about the 7-08,but I don't like Wildcats.

Now to help the Texans,I'll mention that the first sign of AIDS will be a pounding sensation in their azzholes...as per a Public Service Announcement I heard on the radio this morning.

Laffin'!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
B,

just a hint!

7mm-08's work well

[Linked Image]

up close

or

[Linked Image]

out a bit.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My .17 Rem was pretty bad from the factory. Gre-Tan to the rescue!

.308's are gayer than AIDS.

[bleep] Yo Couch!

Travis

308's are bad-ass.

Get back on your couch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R,

Would 77gr be in the node in the ladder?

Also noticed that 76gr, 76.5gr, and 77.5gr shot tighter than the final load of 76.5gr in the second pic? Seems that 76-77.5gr would work? Is it common to find a 1.5gr spread that covers the node?

Thinking out loud here...

Could we say that an upper level charge (your loads seem near the top of published data for a 200gr) is producing good velocity, with good accuracy? What if a guy just ran loads up to find velocity (or pressure)? He's got a window from 76-77.5gr that you've shown to do well.

Seems like a very forgiving rifle, laddering or not!

I might have mentioned it earlier but I'm thinking that the rifles, bullets, powder, and primers are probably better than the shooters. Your rifle in the example seems very load tolerant.

Jason

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't care what anybody else thinks about anything. I just like to argue.

Travis

Yeah, me too. But when I'm not in on the argument, I just like to toss of a "WTF are you guys arguing about" every now and then.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B,

I made it just in time. On the list for the next batch of 1407R (next month or two). D&T two holes in the ring for DIP rail. Mark said the donors are getting scarce so this batch might be it (...get on it Travis, there are some left).

He suggested 22". What did you go with on your rifles?

Feeling like a kid on Christmas...

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/06/14.
Page 19 of 58 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 57 58

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (6mmbrfan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 766 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,962
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.