Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmm.

WVU: graduated in 1995 with a BSME
Wisconsin: Graduated in 1997 with a MSME and in 2007 with a Ph.D.

Worked from 1997 to 1999 and from 2003 onward. Finished my dissertation while working. Kind of a convoluted path wasn't it?

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, haven't read all of the replies, but your survey is gathering a lot of reponses fast. Nice.
Here's mine:
Went to three colleges before earning the BA at Westchester Univerity (PA)
MM at Arizona State University
PhD at University of Arizona

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I did mine via night school starting in my mid 20's.

AS is science from a Community College 1999
BS in IT University if Phoenix 2002

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Graduated
WVa - BS Foresty and Wildlife Management
Oregon State U - MS & PhD Rangeland Management

Thank God for the GI Bill

Last edited by 1minute; 03/06/14.

1Minute
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
AS HVAC/R

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
i dropped out but i went to Montana Tech in Butte for a degree in Geological Engineering for awhile....prolly woulda stuck it out if it wasnt for all the liberal arts classes i had to take....was paying for college out of my own pocket as my parents didnt have any money.....all the core classes pertaining to my degree i was doing fine in but it got to me that i was actually paying people to lecture me bout chit that would have nothing to do with my degree or had anything to do with life after college....i loved all the science and math stuff though...

Perish the thought of receiving an education..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
didnt say i necessarily made the right decision.....but sitting in a class your told you have to take listening to the professor go on bout how your a bad guy cause you were born white and male gets hard to stomach.....especially while sitting in said class you start adding up how many hours your stuck in a hot kitchen washing dishes to pay for to enjoy the privilege of being told your one of the worlds evil people smirk i made my decission, and as such im making alot less than i would if i had that degree in my pocket......also wouldnt have met my wife had i stuck it out.....

dont claim i made the right decission.....dont claim that i might not change it if i could go in a time machine and try again......its just why i quit and when i did quit i had plans of figuring out somewhere else to go to get a degree of some sort, was just planning on busting my arse for awhile so i didnt have to worry bout working full time and going to school at the same time.....thats just not how it turned out...

Last edited by rattler; 03/06/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A paper degree is no gurantee of an education. I know plenty of people without a paper degree that are highly educated, know plenty with a degree that I consider poorly educated.

Graduated over 20 years ago with my BS and while I now can appreciate the value of a complete education (non core classes), I didn't at the time I was in school and honestly I'd say my education in those areas occured after I'd graduated.

I would be highly suprised if any college student formed their moral foundation based on a class in ethics, and doubt any student lacking ethics before taking such a class gained any in the process of taking the class. Psycology, sure knowing who's the crazy one, who's likely to stab you in the back and who's going to take credit for your work is a valuable skill to have in the workplace, but I didn't gain those skills in psych class.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
University of Maine at Fort Kent
BS in Environmental Science

Looking back, I really wish I had attended the maritime academy like I wanted to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Certainly won't debate how "educated" one gets or doesn't get from a college education, particularly some of the general ed requirements, but I did notice some trends.

In those areas directly related to my field of study I thought the courses were certainly useful and even interesting - botany, soil science, dendrology, etc. Sometimes I wished they'd tell us just why they were useful since a lot of times you wondered why you were studying the stuff.

But what I really noted was the difference in the professors who had some professional background vs. those who had been in college since their freshman year. Those who had engaged in business or "the real world" were able to impart some real practical knowledge or as I mentioned above, could relate to us the importance or the application of what we were studying. Those that hadn't, treated everything as a dry academic subject and incidentally were usually, not always but usually, the biggest pricks for grading or just overall treatment of their students.

Like much of life, college is what you make it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Montana State, BS in 1983 and another in 86 after taking two years in the post-Reagan world of ditch digging. Basically added marketing to my management degree. Was a quarter short in both American History and Economics but the economy was improving.
Still haven't used my degree to actually get a job, but it helps.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
University of Tennessee BS Wildlife and Fisheries Science 93
University of Tennessee MS Coldwater Fisheries Science 97

Last edited by TnBigBore; 03/06/14.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
tzone, you attend LSSC with my youngest son, he played BBall for them 97-02
Great school

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Graduating in December of 2014
with my BS in Ag studies and Agronomy
Iowa State University

Never trust a man in a wheel chair...with dirty shoes.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
1985 Millikin University
BS in Accounting

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
California State University, Chico
Graduated in '02
BS in Mechanical Engineering

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool. What did he go to school for?

Camp is where you make it.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
BS Mechanical Engineering from The University of Maine
MS Management from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Ready, Fire, Aim
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BS University of Wisconson, College of Agriculture, degree in Ag Extension, 1967. Worked in Ag sales for 25+ years and then 15 years as a Real Estate Appraiser in my own business. Now retired 7 years!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
A paper degree is no gurantee of an education. I know plenty of people without a paper degree that are highly educated, know plenty with a degree that I consider poorly educated.

Graduated over 20 years ago with my BS and while I now can appreciate the value of a complete education (non core classes), I didn't at the time I was in school and honestly I'd say my education in those areas occured after I'd graduated.

+1, especially the second paragraph.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 3,018 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,431
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.