-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

B.S. Natural science; chemistry, social studies minor.
B.S.N. Nursing
B.S anesthesiology
M.S. Anesthesiology
Special Credentialing: three years post graduate study American Academy of
Pain Management (FAAPM)

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
BA Economics, from a top 30 program.
I'll be back to being a Masters this fall.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by fatjack34
Engineers, Foresters, Wildlife Biologists and Pharmacists....seems to be the norm....what is the correlation with being a sportsmen and outdoors enthusiast and engineering?

In my case........I was very much into hunting and shooting as a small kid......looooong before I even thought about being a Hogshead.

Working as a civil engineer has allowed me all kinds of job opportunities and decent money and to be able to live in rural areas in the Rocky Mtn West such as Casper and Grand Junction where terrific, uncrowded hunting and limitless public land access is within a short drive.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AAS in 2005 from Jamestown Community College
BS in 2008 from The College at Brockport (SUNY)
MA in 2010 from Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

I now work at a college. I have been on a college campus since April 2003.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BS Architectural Studies

University of Nebraska

1970 to 1974

Worked in a production plant with the engineering group out of college, worked for and with engineers, contractors and architects until 2005. I now have own design company and am the only employee. I stay busier than I really want to be but that has allowed us to get us out of debt except for house mortgage, and we've paid off 20% of that in the last year.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Another thing I have noticed is a high correlation of Engineer-Nurse couples, myself included. Anyone else here on the fire?

Nope, Engineer/Engineer here. Although at least we are different disciplines.

Makes for some fantastic dinner conversation wink

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went to SUNY Oswego at age 17 and didn't have a clue what I was doing at the time. Attended 1968-72 got BS in Industrial Arts.

Moved to Tucson Az in fall of 72 and began teaching in 73. Took well over 100 hrs in technical and education classes to move up pay scale. Hated college, community college's auto program was more fun.

Best high school job a teacher could have teaching auto. Kids were great. Where else can you get paid to work on your own vehicle?

Retired in 2003. Still substitute for other shop teachers from time to time.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
BA and MS in Science Education (secondary level)
Have taught hs biology, env. science, and A&P for 29 years.
Coach xc and track.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep! Lots in my family worked way too hard for way too little, so decided I'd be the first college grad in the family (parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc).

University of Arkansas, BS Chemical Engineering '95

Wife is a dance teacher.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
B.S. environmental science

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The University of Alabama
B.S Marketing, but I worked in ETV studio and my career went that way.
Class of... well, let's just say i saw Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Janis Joplin,etc. smile

Last edited by Cruiser1; 03/09/14.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by TXRam

University of Arkansas, BS Chemical Engineering '95

That's three ChemE's on the fire by my count. smile

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
Civil Engineering degree and Army ROTC commission 1994
(My lovely wife is a ChemE from the same fine institution. She's way smarter than me.)

As do many on here, I have the luxury of having a degreed job that still gets me outside and my boots muddy from time to time. Although each year I head toward more and more desk time as I manage more and engineer less.

Personally, I think we're in the middle of a real shift in the "standard" way to get post-high school education. Not sure how many other Mike Rowe readers/followers are out there, but he consistently makes great points about the American worker and blue collar jobs being dismissed.

With the state of the recent economy, there is a glut of people with degrees they haven't used for years. But a person just blindly adding themselves to that pool isn't a recipe for success for most young folks these days. Ridiculous college costs, education debt, and schools pricing themselves into irrelevance are worth their own conversation.

There are some real opportunities in trades or jobs that seem like "trade" work that 95% of the country is pretty quick to just write off. I'm always curious what advice other parents are giving their teens.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Arizona State University- dropped out and when to flight school. 1974-75. Didn't like College much. Ended up a Bush pilot. I should be returning back to Alaska in the Spring I hope.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by gmsemel
Ended up a Bush pilot. I should be returning back to Alaska in the Spring I hope.

Ah ha - A pilot at the Bush Co. Gotta check out all those landing strips!!! Great job! grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AB econ, San Jose State. JD at a night school and passed the bar first try. Would have liked to have been a doctor, but I was too weak in math. Things work out though, and now I donate to a medical school to support research.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Haven't read the entire thread, but I think Superdave hit the nail on the head. Was just talking to my youngest son last night. Both he and his wife did 6 years as officers in the AF. His wife is now in med school at the Mayo Clinic. Both really smart kids. She's looking at getting into dermatology - really good pay and manageable work hours. Son Chris never even went through pilot testing while at the AF Academy - thought that life was counterintuitive to starting a family.

Point is, there needs to be a balance between work and life and your education and job choice/path influences that heavily.

I did both my degrees (BA - Wayland Baptist U at and a Masters - Univ of OK) while on active duty in the Air Force. Got a Master's Certificate and Project Management Professional certification.

I think the happiest guys in life are those who work in a highly sought after technical field, by the hour, or salary + overtime.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Started WCSU 1979, finished with a BA Webster U. St.Louis 1986... yeah, with a little time off in between.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Graduated from Colorado State University in 1968, with a BS degree in Geology.
I have spent the past 45 years in the oil and gas industry as an exploration geologist- a more rewarding and enjoyable career would be hard to imagine, IMO.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Eastern Kentucky University
Richmond, KY.
1990-1994
BS degree in Police Administration

'Twas a pretty good time. I made a couple of real friends while I was there, and several pals.

Turned out, the Marines couldn't use me on account of a slow thyroid gland. College was the next best option for me.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 2500HD, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,876
Posts18,518,127
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.