Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The "roaring twenties" as they were known here, were known as the "empty years" in France.

Was at a party for the grand daughter tonight and several of us on the side were discussing the effects of that particular war on that generation and it's influence on the decades to come.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB4

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
The "roaring twenties" as they were known here, were known as the "empty years" in France.

Was at a party for the grand daughter tonight and several of us on the side were discussing the effects of that particular war on that generation and it's influence on the decades to come.

Are you French my friend??

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The French kept a "Conscript" army after WWI because the male population was so low due to WWI losses. The rest of the Allies went back to a volunteer Army.

When WWII cranked up with Hitler seizing countries, there were not enough men to really fight, that being one reason the French government chose appeasement and then collaboration over annihilation.

The similarities between Putin's and Hitler's behaviors are striking in their similarities.
Hitler looked upon the Brits and French as weak, spineless, shadows of their earlier glory and acted on that belief.
Putin is doing that exact same thing, using the exact same excuses for moving into other countries.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Heinz57 mutt American. With a touch of French huegenot blood. But I've had an interest in French colonial affairs in many of those far away exotic places. Then my interests spread to other things as research broadened. As with most subjects when you study the myths you begin to discover the realities.

Founder

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, seems quite a few people want to think the French people are the same as French politics. How many of you want to be assoiciated with US politicians?

Having spent 3 years living 20 minutes from France and spent a lot of time there, I can say every person I ever met there were really good people. Good country folks who know how to live and treat others well. Even Paris is a great place to spend time in. Spent many a weekend there and never ran into anyone who was not polite and courteous, except for some American tourists.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

The French kept a "Conscript" army after WWI because the male population was so low due to WWI losses. The rest of the Allies went back to a volunteer Army.

When WWII cranked up with Hitler seizing countries, there were not enough men to really fight, that being one reason the French government chose appeasement and then collaboration over annihilation.

The similarities between Putin's and Hitler's behaviors are striking in their similarities.
Hitler looked upon the Brits and French as weak, spineless, shadows of their earlier glory and acted on that belief.
Putin is doing that exact same thing, using the exact same excuses for moving into other countries.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Ed

A French conscript in the 20'sand 30's was obligated to a two year contract. After that they went to a series of reserves status. Known as Groupe A and Groupe B reservists. A's being the latest to fulfill their contract from active duty. And the B's were kinda the inactive reserves. There were several complete divisions made up of the Groupe B's. One famous unit the 55e stopped the Germans and held them at the Meuse river at Sedan for 3 days until they were hot by 2000 Stuka sorties!!!! The division ceased to exist.

Most B reservists were WWI vets.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 03/08/14.

Founder

WS

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
French Huegenot Grandaugherts, well, then you better guard them well, with something better then a 7x57. You will at least need to up grade to a .280AI or they will never be safe. laugh

Yes, French military history is significantly more complex them Americans can appreciate. We've never had a hostile equal on our boarders, had half of our nations homes burned (well, not north of the Mason Dixon line), had 15% of our population killed or wounded in 4 years, and left the flower of our Chivalry littered upon the field of battle. The same can be said for the Russians. American won WWII in the Pacific, but the Russians won WWII in Europe.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Probably one of the best books that you can read on the Battle of France, and the what does leading up to it is titled simply "The Fall of France" by Dr. Julian Jackson. Prof of history Oxford I believe. Not too long or dry reading. Lays a very complex subject out and makes it a very understandable.

Another good book Mebbe a bit dryer but good is Allies at War. Can't remember the author. Concerns Churchill, Roosevelt, and De Gaulle. If you wanna good understanding of why De Gaulle was such an asshat to the USA in the 60's, here's a good place to start. (Can you say FDR??)

Lastly Dr. Douglas Porch is a phenomenal author and historian. He has written several awesome books. One on the entire MTO in WWII, the foreign legion, the battle of the Marne, and one on the conquest of Morocco. I believe Dr. Porch is still at the Citadel. Or holds a chair there. Look him up. His history of the Foreign Legion is a must read. Btw, today in the legions birthday March 9, 1831.

Founder

WS

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The Frogs have had an interesting military history...in my family my uncle Thadeus (Thadee) fought in the French resistance, and my father Zenon fought in the Free French, after the war he was in the Legion in Morocco as a Sergeant, he deserted and caught the "GOYA" from Italy in 1949 and made his way to Australia as an immigrant, after a chequered stay in Australia he made his way to Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands hunting crocodiles and was last heard from in 1970.

Probably shagged someone's daughter and was turned into lizard shyte.

My family in France are the most arrogant bastards I have ever had the misfortune to speak to...but the French consulate staff and the Ambassador were of the finest help one could ask for.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jstuart
My family in France are the most arrogant bastards I have ever had the misfortune to speak to.

That probably had more to do with them being related to you then French.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Probably.

They have been unable to get me to do what they want.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Very true. The only difference between our communist here in the states, and the French communist, is the French commies have never hid the fact they were communist. Communism has been a fact of life In France since well the days of "the Paris Commune".

Interesting parallel. French troops leaving for and returning from indochina in the 40's and 50's were treated the same was as many US vets were here by "college activists" in the 60's and 70's.

French Paratroops in Vietnam (French Indochina) were left to suffer an ignominious defeat in Dien Bien Phu by the bastard politician at home - stabbed in the back by their own.
Then the flower of our manhood went into those killing fields to suffer much the same fate. Many similarities suffered by French and American troops when you got politicians (LBJ and MacNamara) running a political war thousands of miles away with their lackey careerist Generals who allowed them to run such a "no win" war at the expense of our young mens lives.
Phuc LBJ and MacNamara, dig em' up and hang the bastids!

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
The gave the English a hell of a time during the French and Indian War; and with less men too.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Cracked up over that... laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Penobscot_99
Very true. The only difference between our communist here in the states, and the French communist, is the French commies have never hid the fact they were communist. Communism has been a fact of life In France since well the days of "the Paris Commune".

Interesting parallel. French troops leaving for and returning from indochina in the 40's and 50's were treated the same was as many US vets were here by "college activists" in the 60's and 70's.

French Paratroops in Vietnam (French Indochina) were left to suffer an ignominious defeat in Dien Bien Phu by the bastard politician at home - stabbed in the back by their own.
Then the flower of our manhood went into those killing fields to suffer much the same fate. Many similarities suffered by French and American troops when you got politicians (LBJ and MacNamara) running a political war thousands of miles away with their lackey careerist Generals who allowed them to run such a "no win" war at the expense of our young mens lives.
Phuc LBJ and MacNamara, dig em' up and hang the bastids!

"Hell In A Very Small Place"
"Road Without Joy" (Rue Sans Joie)
Both by Benard Fall
(A veteran of the 4th Moroccan Mountain Division)

"The Last Valley"
By Martin Windrow

All excellent books on Dien Bien Phu and Fren Indochina.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Founder

WS

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (007FJ, 1234, 222ND, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,918
Posts18,479,669
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.