-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
there's a few good areas in the Brooks that have been hammered due to over hunting.

we explored a new area one year with an outfitter I worked for, lots of sheep, some good rams, we took a 39" and a 38" out of that particular drainage.

it's state land, so no concession area, in the following years another outfitter started working that same drainage.

he was killing every legal sheep that could be found in the drainage, sometimes bringing 10-12 hunters in there per season.

sad deal, some folks just live for today.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about making every area a registration hunt, with harvest numbers strictly enforced based on the herd numbers. Break the units down to city block sized subunits so certain pockets don't get hammerer while other , harder to reach ones are never hunted.
Get rid of the full curl rule, but shut down the hunt when the target number is reached.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is a sad conversation to hear. I hope that by the time I've progressed with a career and have the money to pay for a hunt or 2, the situation is a bit different.

Too many hunters and not enough sheep is a tough conundrum...

Tanner

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
How about making every area a registration hunt, with harvest numbers strictly enforced based on the herd numbers. Break the units down to city block sized subunits so certain pockets don't get hammerer while other , harder to reach ones are never hunted.
Get rid of the full curl rule, but shut down the hunt when the target number is reached.

That is how the registration hunts are for goats. The system works pretty well until there are 15 people that shoot animals on opening day and the area only has 4-5 points available (for example). It would be almost impossible to keep track of what is being killed hour by hour and some areas would get absolutely hammered.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The Brooks is getting hammered. These photos were taken at the landing strip they are from 2 different years 2010 and 2013.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I just don't see this as sustainable. One of these rams was also sub-legal.

Last edited by 1sgStephen; 02/25/14.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sollybug
SD I have heard Wayne Heimer dispute this on many occasions and you can google him and read that only weather effects overall populations and full curl harvest hasn't yet been shown to,effect overall population size or even sub legal rams. Over harvest or rams, if it can be demonstrated only effects legal rams that year. Joe want gives a pretty good talk about the exaggeration of over harvest in alaska.

I have also heard and read Heimer on the subject... frankly, I find him almost up to underwhelming...

To suggest "ONLY" weather affects anything is patently absurd and untenable as a position in any system of any complexity.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, and Joe Want is convinced 50% of legal sheep on average are left in the mountains each year... I respectfully think that is far too low...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think I remember seeing those brooks range harvest pictures. I think the transporters using that strip are over harvesting it, but it will be self limiting as future drop offs will find less sheep and demand new areas. I was just reading an article Lyman Nichols explaining why full curl harvest doesn't affect the population much. I can't cite it cause I don't know how to work this damn iPad. But anyway he explains that since rams and ewes do not utilize the same habitat and density is the only major effect on sheep besides weather the full curl harvest doesn't effect total populations negatively. Also taking some full curls out of the population means less fighting for breeding rights increasing survival and also sheep have been breeding for several years before they reach full curl so there are plenty of breeding rams.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
And I disagree strenuously with much anecdotal evidence to back it up.

A sheep bio with major stains on his hands is far more likely to defend that which he did, rather than open his eyes and actually look at the proof... Just as Joe Want needs to defend his actions and claim no over-harvest happened under his watch.

Again, you use "only" and that defeats every serious argument presented before it even starts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Oh, and Joe Want is convinced 50% of legal sheep on average are left in the mountains each year... I respectfully think that is far too low...

I didn't see Joe's presentation, and haven't been able to find a copy of it. I did my own investigation using the same procedure and numbers he was given. Note that basically all areas are seeing an increase in ram harvest (or is it a decrease in population?).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for sharing this Art/Sitka Deer. I'm jumping in late here, but appreciated all the comments and insight.

Question for you Art. If you were in charge of F&G what would you do? Feel free to PM me if you prefer, just curious what you would do about sheep hunting issues if given free reign/total control.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Usually ADF&G waits until it's an all out disaster before they act!

I believe that sheep should be put on a 4 year cycle just like brown bears in trophy area's. I know this will horrify some people but a Dall Ram is a trophy and the people that want to kill a ram every year are essentially meat hunters. I have felt this way for 20 years and would like to see it before the whole state is on a permit system.

I tend to use more than enough gun
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The outfit I hunted Goats with used to do Sheep hunts and I asked the owner about doing one. He said that he would not be doing any Sheep hunts in the immediate future and probably longer than that.

When I asked him why, the response was too many were being taken for the good of the animals and that until they have a chance to bounce back significantly he will not hunt them on a commercial basis.

Just something from an outsider looking in.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1sgStephen

yep...third ram from the right. Underage, and less than full curl.
Was the hunter cited?

Full curl regs are imperative for sheep quality in AK.
Heimer was spot on.
It has made for tougher but more gratifying hunting with more mature rams.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hekin
Thanks for sharing this Art/Sitka Deer. I'm jumping in late here, but appreciated all the comments and insight.

Question for you Art. If you were in charge of F&G what would you do? Feel free to PM me if you prefer, just curious what you would do about sheep hunting issues if given free reign/total control.

First I would dump the full-curl rule which would stop the degrade clearly seen in the Chugach... The first effect from that move would be a reduction in the numbers of drawing permits available to kill the same number of sheep (higher success rate, younger rams).

It would also reduce the number of sheep available in non-draw areas. That would mean some way of reducing hunter effort would be required... I would favor a shorter season, highly desirable areas like the Chugach would go to one sheep every four years (but allow a hunter to go to the AK Range or similar every year as desired). And I would reduce NR guided tags by 2/3 in drawing hunt areas.

Areas with serious guide on guide conflicts would have the number of sheep tags reduced hugely. Would look at the idea of shutting some of the guided hunt areas down for 3-5 years to NR hunters.

I would increase the number of Controlled Use areas where sheep hunting was only legal on foot...

The idea of creating buffer areas to eliminate flying in to areas close to roads and towns would get some attention where feasible.

That is where I would start...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by 1sgStephen

Full curl regs are imperative for sheep quality in AK.
Heimer was spot on.
It has made for tougher but more gratifying hunting with more mature rams.

The local sheep biologist does not agree... neither do the facts of the situation.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

First I would dump the full-curl rule which would stop the degrade clearly seen in the Chugach... The first effect from that move would be a reduction in the numbers of drawing permits available to kill the same number of sheep (higher success rate, younger rams).

It would also reduce the number of sheep available in non-draw areas. That would mean some way of reducing hunter effort would be required... I would favor a shorter season, highly desirable areas like the Chugach would go to one sheep every four years (but allow a hunter to go to the AK Range or similar every year as desired). And I would reduce NR guided tags by 2/3 in drawing hunt areas.

Areas with serious guide on guide conflicts would have the number of sheep tags reduced hugely. Would look at the idea of shutting some of the guided hunt areas down for 3-5 years to NR hunters.

I would increase the number of Controlled Use areas where sheep hunting was only legal on foot...

The idea of creating buffer areas to eliminate flying in to areas close to roads and towns would get some attention where feasible.

That is where I would start...

Interesting info. Thanks again Art. I have 3 kids and I want to ensure they have the opportunity.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by waterrat

I believe that sheep should be put on a 4 year cycle just like brown bears in trophy area's. I know this will horrify some people but a Dall Ram is a trophy and the people that want to kill a ram every year are essentially meat hunters. I have felt this way for 20 years and would like to see it before the whole state is on a permit system.

I have been on 5 sheep hunts since 2008. I have shot one ram during this time. While the meat is good, its the experience that keeps drawing me back, despite my failures. A DIY walk in sheep hunt is an experience unlike any other. I will continue to do as long as I am allowed. Only being able to go very 4 years would be a heartbreaker.. Now if you are meaning specific trophy areas vs. sheep hunting in general I agree. Would be great to have some managed trophy ares where a guy could get a chance to see a monster..

Also there is a lot of federal land out there we can not hunt. Opening all of that up to draws would sure change the game..... AND if done right really help both the sport and the critters.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by broomd

yep...third ram from the right. Underage, and less than full curl.
Was the hunter cited?

Yes, yes he was. Ram taken and hunter cited. Ram was determined to be 7 and less than full curl.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by waterrat

I have been on 5 sheep hunts since 2008. I have shot one ram during this time. While the meat is good, its the experience that keeps drawing me back, despite my failures. A DIY walk in sheep hunt is an experience unlike any other. I will continue to do as long as I am allowed. Only being able to go very 4 years would be a heartbreaker.. Now if you are meaning specific trophy areas vs. sheep hunting in general I agree. Would be great to have some managed trophy ares where a guy could get a chance to see a monster..

Also there is a lot of federal land out there we can not hunt. Opening all of that up to draws would sure change the game..... AND if done right really help both the sport and the critters.

Hekin,

What if once you bagged a sheep you had to wait 3, 4, or 5 years to get another tag? Montana has a 5-year waiting period after bagging a sheep. That's different than just being allowed to buy a TAG only once every four years.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (10ring1, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 160user, 12savage, 54 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,299
Posts18,505,349
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.