Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by gzig5
We're having a good discussion now.

Certain posters aren't here. confused

What a coincidence laugh

No, it is because you are all agreeing on how great the ladder test is.

Well if nobody else will enter the conversation and share the method they've used with success....

Some have wink

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

Well if nobody else will enter the conversation and share the method they've used with success....

[Linked Image]

Think I'll go get in some trigger time.

See ya'll

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I find most people want my advice on everything, so here you go.

I seat the bullet out as far as it will go and I add as much powder as I see fit. I don't pay any attention to reloading manuals because those are for rookies. I watch the chronograph until the number is as large as I expect it to be. When that number is big enough, I look through my spotter to make sure it's MOA or better at 100yds.

Then I shoot at 300 to make sure the rifle is still grouping sub-MOA. Then I load a schit ton of ammo and shoot until I'm out of ammo and hopefully I took the time to write down how much powder I used and I just load more of the same.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You guys fail to realize, you are all trying to get to the same place...an accurate load. Less vertical spread my show up on a ladder test, but it also shows up on the chrony.

I like you but I'm going to argue. I don't know about what you've seen, but in many years of tossing 20,000 plus rounds down range from one single caliber at the minimum, what I've seen is that a chrono....MAY or MAY NOT show vertical dispersion.

I have been WAY dissapointed more than a few times, not being able to see bullet holes in a long distance target, but watching my chrono, expecting to have found a holy grail load... only to drive down to the target and find... its worse than other loads with slightly worse ES/SD

What I THINK I'm seeing in this thread is different needs of accuracy. Not everyone needs to split the X ring. Not everyone shoots competition at longer distances. And if you are after game, its really generally a large target. Generally speaking.

All I know, and I"ve run with the big dogs in competition, the ones I've talked with that are big names, La Berge, Tubb, Tompkins, Gallagher, a bunch of AMU folks, heck I"ve even given the AMU some of my advice/ammo helping them work up loads one time.... none of them rely blindly on a chronograph.

To the last one, that I"ve ever discussed it with, its been use a chrono, but trust the paper and if you want a good load at 1000 yards, the ONLY way to find it is to shoot on paper at 1000 yards. Not game. Not best load at 100 or 300 or even 800, and not shooting rocks... shoot paper and make lots of holes and believe what the paper says.

Is Audette or any version that folks want to call a ladder various reasons, the best? It may not be, but as I"ve noted, I've saved lots of work, time, wear and tear etc... using it to get me into a node so that I can then expend a lot of 10 round test groups to tweak and verify it.

Some folks just like loading and shooting as much as they can. And that can be cool too. But my life never allowed enough time between shooting, dry firing, practicing, loading ammo, cleaning guns, changing the oil for the next trip etc..... to want to spend more hours chasing groups that won't work from the get go. If the first 2 shots are 2 inches apart as previously noted... no sense in firing more.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by leelou30
You guys fail to realize, you are all trying to get to the same place...an accurate load. Less vertical spread my show up on a ladder test, but it also shows up on the chrony.

Different powders have different burning rates which shoot at different speeds. also the bigger the case the bigger the difference between shots through a chrono. It may show on a chrono but like the gentlemen said a chrono just shows speed. a speed at which you can use to build your dope for long range "hunting". after you waist your time of "ladder testing".

Waste. Just FYI. Waist is what gets larger over time.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'lia,

Good to see you're still [bleep] Whining.

Curiously enough,I'm the last person to say that connecting reliably at LR is anywhere near difficult and am actually the antithesis(that means opposite,you poor poor stupid [bleep]).

I get a kick outta you Whining Kchunts and your Smoke & Ladders bullschit.

Hilarious!

'Hunter,

There is only (1) Super Hornet,bless your heart. Perhaps PM some more of The Paper Hat Brigade,to see if you can correctly ID it,in 4 tries. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

What next? Perhaps a numerical Tutorial on how you Lick Windows?!?

Bless your heart,you poor poor clueless [bleep].

Your "best" is a riot!

79',

Don't go discouraging The Paper Hat Brigade,as they ride their ladders into the sunset.

Laffin'!

rost',

Didja ever gather the stroke,to concoct your Imagination And Pretend Board...so you can offer "insight" in the firsthand?!?

If not,you can still always Whine and talk out your ass,as per always. Congratulations?!?

Laffin'!

'zig5,

Congratulations on summoning the "courage" to come outta the closet after 20yrs and tearfully extoll the "virtues" of your ladder.

You poor poor stupid [bleep].

I'm crying I'm laughing soooooooo hard.

Wow +P+!

G',

Didja ever pull it off and become the first Whining Texan,to Bitch herself happy?!?

Didn't think so.

Careful with them high heels,gettin' in/outta da Cart and "stomping" them Wild Pastures.

BEST part is,you poor poor stupid [bleep] think you are onto something!

BEST [bleep] Thread Evah!

I'm looking forward to the next Installment of "Smoke And Ladder Imagination And Pretend...The LR STORY".

Laffin'!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

I like you but I'm going to argue. I don't know about what you've seen, but in many years of tossing 20,000 plus rounds down range from one single caliber at the minimum, what I've seen is that a chrono....MAY or MAY NOT show vertical dispersion.

I have been WAY dissapointed more than a few times, not being able to see bullet holes in a long distance target, but watching my chrono, expecting to have found a holy grail load... only to drive down to the target and find... its worse than other loads with slightly worse ES/SD

What I THINK I'm seeing in this thread is different needs of accuracy. Not everyone needs to split the X ring. Not everyone shoots competition at longer distances. And if you are after game, its really generally a large target. Generally speaking.

All I know, and I"ve run with the big dogs in competition, the ones I've talked with that are big names, La Berge, Tubb, Tompkins, Gallagher, a bunch of AMU folks, heck I"ve even given the AMU some of my advice/ammo helping them work up loads one time.... none of them rely blindly on a chronograph.

To the last one, that I"ve ever discussed it with, its been use a chrono, but trust the paper and if you want a good load at 1000 yards, the ONLY way to find it is to shoot on paper at 1000 yards. Not game. Not best load at 100 or 300 or even 800, and not shooting rocks... shoot paper and make lots of holes and believe what the paper says.

Is Audette or any version that folks want to call a ladder various reasons, the best? It may not be, but as I"ve noted, I've saved lots of work, time, wear and tear etc... using it to get me into a node so that I can then expend a lot of 10 round test groups to tweak and verify it.

Some folks just like loading and shooting as much as they can. And that can be cool too. But my life never allowed enough time between shooting, dry firing, practicing, loading ammo, cleaning guns, changing the oil for the next trip etc..... to want to spend more hours chasing groups that won't work from the get go. If the first 2 shots are 2 inches apart as previously noted... no sense in firing more.

Yep. smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

I seat the bullet out as far as it will go and I add as much powder as I see fit. I don't pay any attention to reloading manuals because those are for rookies. I watch the chronograph until the number is as large as I expect it to be. When that number is big enough, I look through my spotter to make sure it's MOA or better at 100yds.

Then I shoot at 300 to make sure the rifle is still grouping sub-MOA. Then I load a schit ton of ammo and shoot until I'm out of ammo and hopefully I took the time to write down how much powder I used and I just load more of the same.

Travis

Everyone who owns a 'Flave Precision product knows this. It's in the owner's manual.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
fps variation w/different powders run across the chrono.
Once powder is found take her to the top.
Bullet seating always seemed the hardest. Which ain't that bad. Most of my gun's a kiss will do.
Boxer is wrong I find pressure before I really get interested with seating depth. smile
Originally Posted by leelou30

Different powders have different burning rates which shoot at different speeds. also the bigger the case the bigger the difference between shots through a chrono. It may show on a chrono but like the gentlemen said a chrono just shows speed. a speed at which you can use to build your dope for long range "hunting". after you waist your time of "ladder testing".

Interesting.

I'd like to hear more of how y'all do it. smile

Last edited by rickmenefee; 03/12/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boxer
'lia,

Hunter,

There is only (1) Super Hornet,bless your heart. Perhaps PM some more of The Paper Hat Brigade,to see if you can correctly ID it,in 4 tries. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

Boxer

You are a true dumbazz of epic proportions and a "legend in your own mind"!

I should have known you were to just too damn stupid/concieted to catch the irony of a 338-408 Big Baer being called a Super Hornet.

You must have been like a pig looking at a wristwatch with the glazed look in your eyes with that. All you do is rub your nose on it, squeal and get it dirty.

Whatta dickusheadus!

Really laffin at your sheer stupidity now!!!

Go back to your mirror and gin up some more "lookin at me" photos, cause you add nothing to the conversation.

Last edited by BountyHunter; 03/12/14.
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Travis

You are work'n yourself too hard. Do the same but:

1) Leave out the chronograph. Velocity-who cares? as long as the case is full.
2) Write down the powder charge? You have to weigh it to right down the weight. Another waste of time.

Keep things simple!

Hint: A sized/primed case is the only powder scoop you need. Just fill it up and compress.

Usual disclaimer applies.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
God damn, been some time since there has been this much stupid in one thread.

Lots of guys here must have married wrong.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Gibby

2) Write down the powder charge? You have to weigh it to right down the weight. Another waste or time.

Keep things simple!

Hint: A sized/primed case is the only powder scoop you need. Just fill it up and compress.

You have a lot to learn about simultaneously living like a slob, and achieving precision.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Jeezus, these threads are actually painful.

If you guys want to strap on your rollerblades, helmet and spandex, and skate back and forth to your 500yd target to look at patterns from random ammo that you lobbed, then who am I to stop you?

If you own an accurate setup, it is actually pretty easy to find a load. Find pressure and work backwards.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Care to offer advice or want to be as smartazz as boxer?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Gibby

2) Write down the powder charge? You have to weigh it to right down the weight. Another waste or time.

Keep things simple!

You have a lot to learn about simultaneously living like a slob, and achieving precision.

Travis

Your welcome!

ps I forgot to tell you another way to keep it simple is use only one powder. Norma R1 is my pick. Works for everything!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

If you guys want to strap on your rollerblades, helmet and spandex, and skate back and forth to your 500yd target to look at patterns from random ammo that you lobbed, then who am I to stop you?

If you own an accurate setup, it is actually pretty easy to find a load. Find pressure and work backwards.

[Linked Image]

100 yard group?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The funny thing is, you guys think a ladder test is really showing you somthing. All it is showing you is range of charge weights to try during load development. The same thing can be found by working backwards from pressure, or looking in a book for that matter.

100:

[Linked Image]

200:

[Linked Image]

300:

[Linked Image]

522:

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Agree.

Ya know,

{long pause}

These threads start out with good intentions to teach and learn from each other.

Then the $hit starts.

After awhile you just say plug it!

Might as well have fun with it. It's the healthiest thing to do.

It has been a long winter for most of the good folks here. It is starting to show at the Fire.

Tomorrows another day. One day closer to Spring.

PS: Today is my wife's birthday. Boxer is the only one who cares. Boxer, my wife thanks you for the box of chocolates you sent her. Take care!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

[Linked Image]
all to simple to work smile

Page 32 of 58 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 57 58

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (204guy, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,813
Posts18,516,535
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.