Hop To
Page 35 of 58 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 57 58
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by BountyHunter

1. Shoot early morning/late in the evening in no wind condition

2. Your looking for vertical not horizontal dispersion

Why is it that the prevailing thought seems to be that barrel harmonics only affect the vertical, not the horizontal? Do barrels not oscillate in both axis?

Now, I'm one of those that has found some merit in a ladder test, depending on my goals, but my own results have shown me that it is wrong to discount horizontal dispersion. Instead, when looking for a node, I go for the range of charges that gives the smallest dispersion in both the vertical and horizontal. I have tried it both ways, looking for the least vertical only and picking the the smallest group out of the range of charges, and have enjoyed better results when picking the node that has both the least vertical and horizontal dispersion. Barrels simply do not oscillate in only the vertical axis, but rather in both.

Much of the bickering back and forth between methods has to do with what the desired outcome is. If it is to find the best load that rifle is going to shoot, especially with thrown charges, the ladder has merit.

If the desired outcome is to get results good enough to hit the size target you are shooting at, at the ranges you shoot at, then the KFPRO method will often provide results that are plenty good enough.

That's another thing I haven't seen mentioned. Wasn't one of the primary purposes of the Audette method to find a range of charges where the rifle shot well so as to minimize the effect of variances in thrown charges?

John

Agreed, the bullets will routinely NOT walk straight up, but often at an angle. I am looking for the grouping of both horizontal and vertical along with the corresponding MV grouping. So yes, that gives me a range of charges that shoot together. I start in the middle and shoot groups to confirm what the ladder showed and then test seating depth.

As for thrown charges in LR, you had better weigh each and every one. You can get away with thrown charges in some finer powders and shorter ranges, but with the larger grain powders and LR, vertical will eat you up. Seen too many SR guys come and try that and was not pretty.

Some cartridges shoot more accurately at the higher pressures (6BR cases such as Dasher, BRX, BRDX as you can easily get 2950-3000 fps with 105s) and others tend to like it lower. Most 300 WSMs with 210 seem to shoot better at 2800 fps (H4350) while some have shot better at 2950-3025 with powders such as MRP.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yes RE thrown charges, at least it works out that way and thats to a positive side of results. I will throw charges for short range ammo, at least used out to 200 and sometimes 300 depending. ANd depending on the use out to 600 may throw it there. Typically I weigh it though. But beyond 600 I've never shot a thrown charge. Though I feel I could probably get by with it on the 800 yard line.... but I dont' try it. IMHO long range should equal weighed charges period.

I've shot enough ladders to know there has been a horizontal component fairly often.

I was amazed that you can find a charge area where the next increment actually moves on both axis. So amazed later on I shot it more than a few times and it was repeatable.

Thats why I don't ever want to do load work up without shooting it. I've also shot groups where 2-3 incremental charges, if shot as seperate 5 shot groups or such, actually grouped well... but only if you had the powder charge dead nuts.

If all you want to say is you can't shoot well enough to shoot an audette and just need to go bang, do it anyway you want. And its typically partially the truth as another poster noted, lots of folks can't shoot well enough to shoot an audette. They need a good load and just trigger time.

But those also don't need to be in a long range anything forum at this point in their skill level.

No one was born with perfect skills and loads... some get there at different speeds. And with different needs.

RE bickering, its not bickering here, only a healthy discussion trying to show options that folks may or may not want to incorporate into their methods.

The bickering starts with someone with an azzhole starts using it as their mouth.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Didn't realize the 'VA' behind Fredericksburg in your handle.... meant 'Vacuum'

99 out of 100 people can't shoot well enough to create a ladder that's even relevant, particularly at six bills... including me.

I'm largely in the KFPRO camp..... with a heavy emphasis on the Rocking On, which seems the forgotten proponent of this epic argument.

If you cannot shoot good enough and do not have a gun that is that accurate, then many methods will work and KFPRO is good enough if you are happy with the results, but that does not put you into the LR arena either.

The ladder is not for everyone and every gun and every situation.

I am shooting off solid benches with top quality rests using an Oehler 35 P with 4 and 8 ft spacing on screens and ONLY use only it on very accurate guns and I have shot competitive for quite awhile.

Last edited by BountyHunter; 03/13/14.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dude, you're awesome.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Makes me glad I only had 500 yards to shoot. 1/2 the distance and 1/10 the effort...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Even if you shoot perfectly, who's to say a little lick of wind didn't come up at the 400 yard line with a bit of an updraft component? Your 600 yard target would show skewed results, and you wouldn't even know it, having fired only one shot of each charge...

1. Very few locales offer true no wind conditions, even morning and night, particularly across 1000 or even 600 yards. If you're dealing with any topographical terrain features at all, it's a rarity at best. Thermal updrafts, down drafts, etc, are not kind to the Audette method.

2. I'm aware wink Although barrels move in an elliptical pattern, it's the constant of gravity that we're trying to keep constant, since wind is a crapshoot anyway.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rost495

FWIW I have not always found max pressure is best accuracy.

Nobody said it was. Finding the max length and max pressure only leaves one direction to go in load development. Like I said, find pressure and work backwards.

Of course, you guys would rather seat a bullet to some random depth, on top of some random charge and lob them at a 500yd target, thinking you are onto something.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If Drew can figure it out without [bleep] hair changes in powder charges, anyone should be able to...........grin

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I guess the ladder system is not compatible with the Hi-Line.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What if the humidity changes by 40% between days that you are doing the ladder test? Temperature? Does that matter?

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If Drew can figure it out without [bleep] hair changes in powder charges, anyone should be able to...........grin

Umm, thanks? eek

haha

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

My name is Travis you dumb bastard.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What if the humidity changes by 40% between days that you are doing the ladder test? Temperature? Does that matter?

Game changer.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
How am I supposed to shoot a ladder if I cannot hit schit at 500yds?

blush

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What if I have to have my 220AI rebarreled because I burned out the throat finding nodes?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
you should only ladder test once a year to preserve barrel life.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
But I need to burn 800 rounds a 1/10th of a grain increments to find the pucking node.

By that time the throat is gone and I have to rebarrel. Luckily I'm doing my shooting in the morning, so it's cooler and the barrel might last another 127 rounds.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave

My name is Travis you dumb bastard.

Travis

I thought it was Heisenberg?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
But I need to burn 800 rounds a 1/10th of a grain increments to find the pucking node.

By that time the throat is gone and I have to rebarrel. Luckily I'm doing my shooting in the morning, so it's cooler and the barrel might last another 127 rounds.

You need a new scale, you are supposed to go 1/20th of a grain. Don't forget to try 17 different primers.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Your barrel will last another 130. Easily.

Page 35 of 58 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 57 58

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 1minute, 1234, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 163bc, 64 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,957
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.