Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 36 of 58 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 57 58
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sweet! I'm working on finding the node with my Matthews bow at present. Once finished it will be the 10/22 then I'll work my way up the ladder...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by BountyHunter

1. Shoot early morning/late in the evening in no wind condition

2. Your looking for vertical not horizontal dispersion

Didn't realize the 'VA' behind Fredericksburg in your handle.... meant 'Vacuum'

99 out of 100 people can't shoot well enough to create a ladder that's even relevant, particularly at six bills... including me.

I'm largely in the KFPRO camp..... with a heavy emphasis on the Rocking On, which seems the forgotten proponent of this epic argument.

Actually, if a shooter doesn't have the skills to create a ladder that is relevant, he also doesn't have the skills to shoot the OCW method, Group shooting method or any other method for that matter.

If he can't shoot, he can't shoot.

Factory ammo would be just as well.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
What if the humidity changes by 40% between days that you are doing the ladder test? Temperature? Does that matter?

that is why I start in the middle of the node, not the top or bottom. Confirm with subsequent grouping tests.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But I need to burn 800 rounds a 1/10th of a grain increments to find the pucking node.

By that time the throat is gone and I have to rebarrel. Luckily I'm doing my shooting in the morning, so it's cooler and the barrel might last another 127 rounds.

Not sure if you have been following, but I have said that I have taken a new gun, done break in, ladder and final load development in 3 evenings, loaded and won State championship on Saturday. The ladder showed definitive node, groups confirmed and seating was best at in the lands and was pretty easy THAT time.

Last edited by BountyHunter; 03/13/14.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

1. Shoot early morning/late in the evening in no wind condition

2. Your looking for vertical not horizontal dispersion

Didn't realize the 'VA' behind Fredericksburg in your handle.... meant 'Vacuum'

99 out of 100 people can't shoot well enough to create a ladder that's even relevant, particularly at six bills... including me.

I'm largely in the KFPRO camp..... with a heavy emphasis on the Rocking On, which seems the forgotten proponent of this epic argument.

Actually, if a shooter doesn't have the skills to create a ladder that is relevant, he also doesn't have the skills to shoot the OCW method, Group shooting method or any other method for that matter.

How good ya gotta shoot.... to know the difference?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

BOXER

Gibby,

In fairness,I remain a fan of compressed loads and their propensity to bolster nice ES/SD constants.

Hint.

I have been loading since I was 14 years old. I am now 60. Early on I realized that if you worked up your best loads using the correct powder with the correct burn rate and taking in the other variables in that particular gun. Top loads,not handgun target loads. In the rifles, most of my best loads were slightly compressed.

Most of the time with a new caliber I can pick that powder 1st off. Doing this by experience and comparing my notes along with the manufactures loading manuals. Experience makes it cheaper.

Now we have the internet. If the Loading data is from a manufacture, I look at. If it is by someone's load you pick up in a forum, I discount it. Unless it is congruent to my own research. The most important thing is to remember is who said what. There are people here that know what they are talking about, but in my experience it is just a few. This post is about powder only obviously.

I am loading right now. So I do not have the time to sift through the ridiculous arguments here. If I was at work like some of you here are. I might play around a little bit.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

How good ya gotta shoot.... to know the difference?

I my opinion a powder ladder developed load may pull 1/4 MOA out of the long range vertical dispersion as a best case.

The more consistent your bullet exit times are and the less barrel oscillation the less will be gained from ladder type load development.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Here's my method:

Mag length, Internet forum load, and Let Fire.... I call it the M.I.L.F method.

I prefer to use MILFs when working up all my loads...

Here's a MILF load...

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Here's my method:

Mag length, Internet forum load, and Let Fire.... I call it the M.I.L.F method.

I prefer to use MILFs when working up all my loads...

Here's a MILF load...

[Linked Image]

I letting my barrel cool so I will comment. This is very important.

Can't go wrong with a MILF. Best part of this whole thread!

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
At 60 you need to be looking at GILF loads.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by SLM
At 60 you need to be looking at GILF loads.

I'll bite?

I just Goggled it. Digital Dan helped me out by having a quick link to Google and Wiki on the 'fire.

I have seen some Grannies that I would expel my compacted load on.

Mine is holding my barrel right now.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Disclaimer:

Don't go thinking "Ohhhh yeah, I'll get me a MILF or two".... no, no... it doesn't work that way. You gotta be deep in the streets, you have to be able to instantly discern a sweet foxy MILF.... from a nasty skank MILF. Cause when a MILF goes bad on ya... she goes bad fast. Bad MILFs can lead to terrible things like:
Blown heads.... Loose Pockets... and Projectile Dysfunction.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Disclaimer:

Don't go thinking "Ohhhh yeah, I'll get me a MILF or two".... no, no... it doesn't work that way. You gotta be deep in the streets, you have to be able to instantly discern a sweet foxy MILF.... from a nasty skank MILF. Cause when a MILF goes bad on ya... she goes bad fast. Bad MILFs can lead to terrible things like:
Blown heads.... Loose Pockets... and Projectile Dysfunction.

I knew this thread had potential and some good advice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I my opinion a powder ladder developed load may pull 1/4 MOA out of the long range vertical dispersion as a best case.

The more consistent your bullet exit times are and the less barrel oscillation the less will be gained from ladder type load development.

I'm guessing you're stating this in comparing two accurate loads; one developed by Audette and the other by 100 yard groups or such? It may be correct, but what we are talking about here is why to use the Audette in the first place.

The reason is because the Audette is the quickest way to find an accurate load that simultaneously has the least vertical.

I can't see developing a load with some other method at close range, shooting it at long range where you notice you don't like the vertical it's producing, then deciding you better run some sort of abbreviated Audette to get rid of it. That's wasting time, components, and barrel life.

Same thing goes with all of the other methods. We've pretty much established that the KFPRO method involves running an incremental charge weight ladder. Why the hell not just shoot the damn thing at 300 to 600 yards where there will be far more information gained from doing so? The Audette is a pressure-finding ladder as well, ya just do it at long range shooting at the same POA.

Amazing to me that a complete moron would shoot an incremental charge weight ladder from the hip just to find pressure when the same thing can be done at a target and multiply the information gained by tenfold.

IME, consistent bullet exit times will not give you the most accurate load.

We've discussed that here and many have noted that the load with the lowest SD does not always group the best at long range; it's what's on the paper that matters. A load may very well have THE most consistent exit time (the best SD, ES, most consistent velocity) and be exiting the barrel at the worst time possible during its movement producing groups that suck.

grin

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
But I need to burn 800 rounds a 1/10th of a grain increments to find the pucking node.

By that time the throat is gone and I have to rebarrel. Luckily I'm doing my shooting in the morning, so it's cooler and the barrel might last another 127 rounds.

Not sure if you have been following, but I have said that I have taken a new gun, done break in, ladder and final load development in 3 evenings, loaded and won State championship on Saturday. The ladder showed definitive node, groups confirmed and seating was best at in the lands and was pretty easy THAT time.

No for some reason Scott is being ? in this thread.

What other method can you use, fire 10 rounds, have a load that you probably don't have to ever tinker with and be more than good enough for most shooters for most uses?

Other than taking one off the internet and trying it blindly, and Scott has sure given me a good 257 wtby load in the past that worked out pretty well... it was about the same number of shots fired... maybe even less.

But to be a complete putz about how many rounds are involved in an audette is ignorant here.

Audette is used so you fire LESS rounds due to barrel life etc...

RE throats not burning out quicker when hot, if you actually are saying they don't burn out quicker when hotter then you've never shot the same exact guns rapid fire vs slower fire. They'll last appx 1000 to 1500 rounds of good accuracy longer in a 223 tube, when run hot and rapid fire only, vs sustained fire or slower only.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Can we get back to MILF's and GILF's?

Thanks.

Last edited by SLM; 03/13/14. Reason: ? Not .
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Got my own of the above.. at least the first, so no questions there. Grins.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Amazing to me that a complete moron would shoot an incremental charge weight ladder from the hip just to find pressure when the same thing can be done at a target and multiply the information gained by tenfold.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
So, if you dont have access to 300+ yard range, what is the prefered method(s)? OCW?

Dealing with 400 yard hunting shot and below.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't mean to be to much smartazz, but if you can't find a place to shoot 400 yards, then you have no business, IMHO, shooting at game at 400. Only as far as you have put it on paper.

FWIW, the Audette will work closer, but the further you are, the easier it is to see as the groups enlarge.

Use the longest distance you have access too.

Dogcatcher.... you know..... the point was evidently no one else can be a smart azz.... geez.... no one would shoot blindly just for MV and we all konw that... but folks shoot ladders and won't admit they are shooting ladders.

Damn sure a bunch of idiots on this thread adn you are starting to be another one for some reason. Ever post your particular method or you gonna have the stupids like Scott and just post pictures, smart comments and nothing of ACTUAL USE?

Page 36 of 58 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 57 58

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,771
Posts18,515,618
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.