==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Calvin
I keep hearing about terrible things are..

I had to have an electrician come to the house to wire in a new outlet for my new stove. $80 hr.

Had to have a plumber come not long ago. $80hr.

Get my boat engine a tune up. $90 hr.

Have a welder weld anything out of aluminum. $80 hr.

Seems like the trades are the place to be?

You think that is bad, last July I walked into an emergency room at a local hospital about 5:30 PM Friday afternoon for a blood clot in my leg. I got several test, MRI, etc. spent the night for observation, walked out around 2:30 PM Sat. afternoon with a couple prescriptions for meds.

Bill to the insurance company was over $20,000. So close to $1000 per hour average

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thats why its tough for a legitimate business to compete with a guy working out of the back of his pick up....but God forbid if some thing major goes wrong and he phuucks up your house cause he doesn't have insurance

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My electrician charges $55 per hr. My plumber is $ 75 and I am $38- 42 per hr. I'm the General carpenter. Carpenters are a deal for some reason. Noone knows how I do it but I've never gone without paying a bill and never ran out of money. Plumbers are over paid. There isn't any more to it than carpentry. These are S.E. Wisconsin prices.

Last edited by ihookem; 03/16/14.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I estimate where I work. We figure that each guy in the shop total is about 2.5x what his actual hourly wage is. The rest of that goes into insurance, workers comp, unemployment etc...

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Believe me, I'm not complaining. I knew exactly what was going to happen, before it happened.

BTW, in a remote town of 1200, on an island, in Alaska, you often can't choose another contractor. And they know it....(grin)

Given those parameters - you're getting it cheap!

I live in a town with a metro pop of 200k, no island, lots of infrastructure and a low cost of living and 80 an hour for those guys would be a bargain.

Me

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ihookem
My electrician charges $55 per hr. My plumber is $ 75 and I am $38- 42 per hr. I'm the General carpenter. Carpenters are a deal for some reason. Noone knows how I do it but I've never gone without paying a bill and never ran out of money. Plumbers are over paid. There isn't any more to it than carpentry. These are S.E. Wisconsin prices.

Sounds to me like you picked the wrong profession

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ihookem

That's a good price for a general carpenter. Wish I could get you up here to redo the interior of my boat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I'm a tradesman and can tell you that the actual workers only get paid a small piece of that pie. For instance, the company I work for charges $96/ hour for a service visit, but the employee might only get about $20/ hour plus very basic medical insurance. No optical or dental and no retirement or HSA, either.

Trades aren't a bad place to be for sure, but a guy isn't going to get rich doing it.

So, I'm curious what keeps a guy from branching out on his own, and charging a mere $60 an hour? You'd think people would be jumping at the chance to hire the guy?

Btw, all the guys I hired were independent. And when they ran for parts, which took a ridiculous amount of time, the clock was still ticking. I have a feeling I paid for a few coffee breaks.

To answer your question, there are a number of reasons. Licensing, start up money, knowledge, confidence are some of the main reasons. Lots of guys work their whole career without learning how to estimate or manage jobs. Those aren't hard things to learn, but require someone willing to teach you and many owners aren't keen on teaching their employees enough to go into competition with them.

Personally, I'm very close to making the leap. I've stagnated at my current job and have a lot of frustration at how a bunch of trade ignorant paper pushers demand things be done. I'm pretty much topped out, wage-wise and need to be thinking seriously about retirement planning, something that isn't possible if I stay.

I have the knowledge and licensing, but not the $$$. My plan is to start small and avoid competition with my employer and see where it goes from there.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Thats why its tough for a legitimate business to compete with a guy working out of the back of his pick up....but God forbid if some thing major goes wrong and he phuucks up your house cause he doesn't have insurance

I'm curious, but can't a guy with a van get bonded and insurance? I understand that if you maintain a storefront, a gal at the front desk, etc that you are paying out the ass for things. Seems the way to go would be a van.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by efw
Scott nailed it here:

I'm a tradesman and can tell you that the actual workers only get paid a small piece of that pie. For instance, the company I work for charges $96/ hour for a service visit, but the employee might only get about $20/ hour plus very basic medical insurance. No optical or dental and no retirement or HSA, either.

Trades aren't a bad place to be for sure, but a guy isn't going to get rich doing it.

So your numbers, corrected, are:

$80 $20 an hour for a 8 hour work day.

$640 $160 a day. Not a bad fantastic wage, if you ask me. Sure you have to pay taxes, but who doesn't? (ok, don't answer that)

Curious how much a .gov worker makes a day?

Anybody who runs a business will tell you that there is a HUGE difference between what's charged & what's made as profit.

HUGE.

So you're telling me that a guy with a van and 10k in tools couldn't make a good wage charging $80 an hour?

Nope, and in Alaska where I'm told the cost of living is high I'm surprised that's all he's charging.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So you're self employed. From that $80, subtract 15% for social security (self employment taxes) and another 20 to 30% for income taxes. Depending on what your trade is, you could have a shop to pay for or maybe a truck and fuel. You need to figure costs for tools and probably a bookkeeper or an accountant. You have health insurance to pay for and, unless you're a fool, some kind of retirement.

A former hunting partner of mine died about 5 years ago at 70. He was a chiropractor and still practicing. He didn't leave his wife hardly anything. He charged low rates because he wanted his services to be available to everyone. I told him many times to increase his rates a mere %$5/visit and put it into a retirement program. $5 wasn't going to bankrupt anyone and it would make for a decent retirement after 20 years or so. He never did it, though. Now his wife is paying the price.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
I keep hearing about terrible things are..

I had to have an electrician come to the house to wire in a new outlet for my new stove. $80 hr.

Had to have a plumber come not long ago. $80hr.

Get my boat engine a tune up. $90 hr.

Have a welder weld anything out of aluminum. $80 hr.

Seems like the trades are the place to be?

You think that is bad, last July I walked into an emergency room at a local hospital about 5:30 PM Friday afternoon for a blood clot in my leg. I got several test, MRI, etc. spent the night for observation, walked out around 2:30 PM Sat. afternoon with a couple prescriptions for meds.

Bill to the insurance company was over $20,000. So close to $1000 per hour average

Yeah, don't even get me started about that scam. If I had my way, every price would be listed on a menu, like when you went into MCD's. Then, you could make choices based on what you can afford. Not wait for the bill to show up. For what they charge to be in the hospital, I'd rather go sit in the outside in the parking lot, and have my wife wheel me in if something started to go wrong again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once you become legit the over head sky rockets and so does the cost of doing business and making a profit. Insurance and workmans comp is big$$$

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
So you're self employed. From that $80, subtract 15% for social security (self employment taxes) and another 20 to 30% for income taxes. Depending on what your trade is, you could have a shop to pay for or maybe a truck and fuel. You need to figure costs for tools and probably a bookkeeper or an accountant. You have health insurance to pay for and, unless you're a fool, some kind of retirement.

Well, that's pretty much anybody who is self employed, or anybody working in general. I fit in the fisherman/farmer category.

Believe me, I think it's great they get $80 an hour. I was commenting on how good things are, that a plumber can demand such wages.

Things aren't that bad..

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Well let's see, of the $80 an hour the person preforming the work got paid 10 an hour, the government got between 8 and 10 an hour in payroll taxes, The rest went into overhead and a little profit for the owner.

Not a whole lot of money there when you break it down.

You gotta admit that it's funny. A person pays $80 an hour to have a $10 an hour employee show up and do work..(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My forman makes $25 + benefits

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Well let's see, of the $80 an hour the person preforming the work got paid 10 an hour, the government got between 8 and 10 an hour in payroll taxes, The rest went into overhead and a little profit for the owner.

Not a whole lot of money there when you break it down.

You gotta admit that it's funny. A person pays $80 an hour to have a $10 an hour employee show up and do work..(grin)

Not really but that's the way it is.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Once you become legit the over head sky rockets and so does the cost of doing business and making a profit. Insurance and workmans comp is big$$$

Agreed. In my trade I've had to put in a number of years to qualify to take the state journeyman exam, then at least 2 more before being eligible to take the state Master's exam. On top of those tests I have to take and pass a state plumbing contractor's exam. All these tests cost money to take, then there are fees to pay for the actual license on a yearly or 3 year basis, depending on the license.

The fly-by-night operators duck a lot of these requirements and can work for less, but often doing shoddy work not having jobs inspected.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by efw
Scott nailed it here:

So your numbers, corrected, are:

$80 $20 an hour for a 8 hour work day.

$640 $160 a day. Not a bad fantastic wage, if you ask me. Sure you have to pay taxes, but who doesn't? (ok, don't answer that)

Curious how much a .gov worker makes a day?

Anybody who runs a business will tell you that there is a HUGE difference between what's charged & what's made as profit.

HUGE.

So you're telling me that a guy with a van and 10k in tools couldn't make a good wage charging $80 an hour?

You are assuming that guy has a full book with no slowdown. And no operating costs. I have a good friend with a one man excavating business. He charges about $125 an hour. If he worked 60 hours a week he would consider himself lazy. I think he is lucky to clear $30/hr. at 40 hr. rate.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (19rabbit52, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,982 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,313
Posts18,526,306
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.