Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I would never do a Super with only a heavier recoil spring. Clark is not far from me and that is how they do them. So I sent my 1911 to the west coast to have the lock time lengthened and I am only running an 18.5 pound recoil spring. I had BB send Super ammo to JRH to set the gun up around that power level. The longer lock time allows priessure to lower before unlocking thus reducing slide velocity.

More than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited by jwp475; 03/19/14.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by Gibby
I am thinking about contacting Clark to set up the Delta with a comp. Delta elites are hard to find and are not cheap. It will increase the longevity of the gun because it lowers the pressure significantly at the barrel/slide disengagement. It will also give me a match quality barrel with more case support.
Unless you go to a ramped barrel, the case support will be the same.

Maybe so Comparing it to the Delta. Your probably right. The 460 barrel that came from Clark had a Little bit more support than the stock barrel out of the National Match I use it in. Not much, but a little.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jwp475

I would never do a Super with only a heavier recoil spring. Clark is not far from me and that is how they do them. So I sent my 1911 to the west coast to have the lock time lengthened and I am only running an 18.5 pound recoil spring. I had BB send Super ammo to JRH to set the gun up around that power level. The longer lock time allows priessure to lower before unlocking thus reducing slide velocity.

How did they increase the lock time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If anyone is being honest, the .45 Super, .460 Rowland, and 10mm are all more than the 1911 was designed for. And steady use with full power loads from any of them will wear out a 1911 much faster than a .45 ACP will. Comps do provide an unlocking delay due to forward pressure. And flat FP stops do provide a very little delay. But the major factor in unlocking of all recoil operated semi-auto pistols is the weight of the slide; and the 1911's slide is on the light side for those cartridges. That's why the first iteration for the Delta had a different slide, which Colt rejected because it didn't look like a 1911 anymore.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If anyone is being honest, the .45 Super, .460 Rowland, and 10mm are all more than the 1911 was designed for. And steady use with full power loads from any of them will wear out a 1911 much faster than a .45 ACP will. Comps do provide an unlocking delay due to forward pressure. And flat FP stops do provide a very little delay. But the major factor in unlocking of all recoil operated semi-auto pistols is the weight of the slide; and the 1911's slide is on the light side for those cartridges. That's why the first iteration for the Delta had a different slide, which Colt rejected because it didn't look like a 1911 anymore.

Yep, The 460 is not a range gun. Never said it was. Think self defense ON THE FARM.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's been proven time and again that you can do a Super with a heavier recoil spring and really nothing else. But to do so, one has to understand, you'll wear the gun out much faster. I've seen Supers done with anything from a 22lb to 26lb recoil spring. The all seem to be safe, but not necessarily good for the gun. Anyone running anything over a 22lb recoil spring really ought to shorten up his firing pin and run a heavy firing pin spring. Or at least a titanium firing pin.

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Kevin, I don't like the heavy springs. They slam forward excessively hard IMHO and they tend to knock the gun below my line of sight. Been there done that.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

It's been proven time and again that you can do a Super with a heavier recoil spring and really nothing else. But to do so, one has to understand, you'll wear the gun out much faster. I've seen Supers done with anything from a 22lb to 26lb recoil spring. The all seem to be safe, but not necessarily good for the gun. Anyone running anything over a 22lb recoil spring really ought to shorten up his firing pin and run a heavy firing pin spring. Or at least a titanium firing pin.

Definitely. The Wolf kits have the extra power FP springs so does Clark kits. I use titanium where I can. They do not work all the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Kevin, I don't like the heavy springs. They slam forward excessively hard IMHO and they tend to knock the gun below my line of sight. Been there done that.
Not advocating, just a statement of fact. I tend to agree with your statement.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Yep, The slide on the National Match is even lighter. That is another reason I do not load even near max for the 460. I load around 34K psi for my "Business Load". That is an educated guess. I use Longshot powder. Which is linear in its burn rate. I load less than halfway between max and min using Hodgdons Data. It performs very well. Bill Wilson does the same thing. The velocities are just above the Super Range. But I do it with less wear and tear on the gun because of the reasons I gave before.

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Gibby,

No pretending here either, you have your opinions on the slide velocity,It pointless to go back and forth.

I didn't realize we were comparing resumes and gun inventories grin

Although you are basing your experiences on the Super with a firearm which was built for the ACP, a heavier spring does not fix the underlying problem with is lock time. You do not need a 26 pound spring [b]IF[/b] the gun was setup to shoot supers, as JWP's is with 18.5 lb. spring.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
No resume' here. I was not bragging. I just threw that in. I love my 1911's.

Slide velocity. It has been proven. Even filmed. I already did the research. I do not need to do it again to prove a point. Do the research. Look at the Histories.

I am not trying to sell the 460. I use the 460 over the Super because of what I found out.

You shoot your Super using a 18.5lb, and I will shoot my 460 with a 20lb. Not much difference here. The comp has a purpose which makes it better for the gun and recovery time. That is the Difference.

We have talked about lock time being affected by more than just springs rates here.( SB FPS, 25# MS.)

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
[quote=Seasons44]

The 45 SUPER. Been there, done that. It tears your guns up. Slide velocity is too high on the return with the heavy springs needed. In some case the magazine spring has to be increased also to feed at this slide velocity.

I agree with this totally, that is why I went with JRH to increase the lock time this allow the pressure to drop before unlocking, thus allow an normal recoil spring weight to be used. If one wanted a compensator could be used on a Super. Personally I don't care for the compensator on a daily carry pistol as I like the balance of the 1911 as is.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[quote=Seasons44]

The 45 SUPER. Been there, done that. It tears your guns up. Slide velocity is too high on the return with the heavy springs needed. In some case the magazine spring has to be increased also to feed at this slide velocity.

I agree with this totally, that is why I went with JRH to increase the lock time this allow the pressure to drop before unlocking, thus allow an normal recoil spring weight to be used. If one wanted a compensator could be used on a Super. Personally I don't care for the compensator on a daily carry pistol as I like the balance of the 1911 as is.

I am sure a comp could be put on a Super rig. The comped barrel that comes from Clark is highly engineered. Since you live close to Clark's operation, you might go by and look at one. It has two molded chambers. Different volumes each. Large one close to barrel, smaller one close to muzzle. The smaller one also has vertical slots on each side. I am sure they could explained the design. All I know that it works well. I would think the Super could produce enough gases to make it work.

When I was first contemplating the Rowland, my thoughts were like yours. Do I want a comp sticking out? After the hog incident, I ordered a kit and 2000 Starline brass. If you shoot a 45 ACP you have everything else.
On the farm the comp has never bother me one bit.

Go on to Clark's website and click on the video link that has the girl shooting rapid fire. Remember the gun she is shooting is pouring out 41mag to 44mag energies. Her style of shooting is not like mine but it does show how effective the comp is.

Remember. For $295.00 plus shipping you can have two guns in one, one with a full match barrel. It takes minutes to change over. No others modifications are needed. I change out the FBFPS and MS, but you can leave those in when shooting the 45ACP.I know you can do that with the super, but we talked about that.

A lot of my 1911 Government size holsters have an open bottom. Those work fine. Only a little bit of the comp sticks out.

I am still curious how JRH increased the lock time on your gun.

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have seen the video. Best to call and speak directly to the source 530-268-6877. The will gldly answer your questions. Not everyone does the lock time increase.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

I have seen the video. Best to call and speak directly to the source 530-268-6877. The will gldly answer your questions. Not everyone does the lock time increase.

Looks like this site is playing with you too. I am a slow typer, but it keeps leaving out letters and slow to respond. I do not think it is my computer. It's been going on for about 10 days now. I have heard others complain too.

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You are correct. Should have been "gladly"

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

You are correct. Should have been "gladly"

I don't know. It might be my computer. I was typing a word document and it was acting similarly.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,953
Posts18,519,323
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.