Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I am planning on building a rifle. I am wanting a 300 ultra mag. Thinking about getting a Rem 700 action. A broughton barrel, Jewel trigger and a muzzle brake.

I am wanting a Mcmillan stock. But can't decide on which one with out using them. The ones that I have my eye on are the A 3 edge, A3 sporter, and the HTG. Any input?

I am building this rifle for hunting.

Last edited by greatwhitehunter; 04/05/14.
GB1

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
General Hunting + big recoil and long barrel = Echols Legend (now available for M700)

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What contour? Beings you cited (3) handles that'll eat some spout,I reckon you are in #5 or so Mode?

The Rem Hunter is a nice way to fly and will eat a #8.

Uppermost.

[Linked Image]

Lose the long barrel,[bleep] the brake and the Jewell.

Hint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer

Hint.

And the Ultra....hint hint....

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Boxer
What contour? Beings you cited (3) handles that'll eat some spout,I reckon you are in #5 or so Mode?

The Rem Hunter is a nice way to fly and will eat a #8.

Uppermost.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

Yea I am thinking a #5. I was looking at the Broughton 5C barrel

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Im pretty stuck on the 300 Ultra. So don't think I would change my mind on that.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
aalf,

Refreshing to converse with someone,who just might shoot a smidge.(grin)

You KNEW the chambering was next,then action length and of course a boolit query,along with proposed application.

Has Montucky written all over it.(grin)

'white,

Let's do it this way and cut to the [bleep] chase and getcha' to water,which I can easily arrange. What you do after getting there,is on you.

1) What do you think the application for the proposed rifle,is gonna be?
2) Why the chambering? Have you ever shot it before(if so,which boolits) and in extrapolation to what other chamberings/boolits?
3) What boolit(s) have you got in mind?
4) What glass/mounting system?
5) Do you Reload?
6) Whattya' shooting currently and how has it let you down?

Don't be in a hurry,to make bad decisions.

Hint.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Ok. Thanks for the help.

I will explain a little bit.

I think a Remington 700 is a good basic action. Open to other things i guess

I am wanting this gun as a do it all big game hunting rifle. Elk, deer, antelope, bear, etc. I want one round for all. Ability of shooting long range shots as well.

I like the 300 Ultra because I think it is a great round. I have researched it for awhile and have talked to alot of guys that reccomend it. I have a bunch of friends who use it and love it.

Planned on having a local gunsmith glass bed it

I have shot my buddies 300 Ultra that he built and it was sweet! I was getting the muzzle brake so that if my son or someone else wanted to use the rifle there would be less kick.

My father reloads so he would help me out with that.

I am a bowhunter. Pretty much strickly a bowhunter. But I have wanted to build a rifle for awhile. I have been saving my pennies for long time. Pretty much wanted to build a "custom" rifle to hunt big game for the rest of my life. Although I will prob bowhunt the rest of my life. haha Buy hey you can always have a gun!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 300 rum in a mickey remington bdl pattern.
Like the stock alot.
I went thru the stock and awe phase with it.
This year, I went a different bullet, and slowed them down a bit.
Gettin tired of the blast and recoil.
Awesome cartridge. Made my longest kill with it, but I don't hunt that place anymore, and don't have a want for all that power anymore.

Think Im gonna rebarrel it to a 7 mag.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I hear good thangs about 700's,myself and I've seen a McMillan.

Your first "choice" for a rifle,is akin to a compound bow with 57" axle to axle,39" draw length,12% let-off and 163# draw,that'll eek 300fps. She's at best a Hay Bale & Crockett Queen,but in reality sooooooo many balls are dropped,it'll never see the light of day. Get da' peecture?!?(grin)

The faster you think boolits,the better of you'll be. Balance/handling trumps all and light done right,has no equal...just as in Archery. 'Nother Hint.

I savvy the appeal of building what ain't available,but have never been a proponent of building...just to build. It's always about boolits. Re-hint.

You'd do well to slow down and get some ducks in a row,before you are painted into a corner with a Goat [bleep]. The key to killing schit is Placement and the key to Placement is Practice. To reliably arrange GOOD Practice,you gotta keep schit fun. Just as you wouldn't fling many arrows,if after every shot,you got slapped upside your head,even if you had a SVL headband.(grin)

Less is just oh soooooooooooo much MORE,for a multitude of reasons.

Hint.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
glad we see the same light boxer.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greatwhitehunter
I am planning on building a rifle. I am wanting a 300 ultra mag. Thinking about getting a Rem 700 action. A broughton barrel, Jewel trigger and a muzzle brake.

I am wanting a Mcmillan stock. But can't decide on which one with out using them. The ones that I have my eye on are the A 3 edge, A3 sporter, and the HTG. Any input?

I am building this rifle for hunting.

Sounds like a great project,

it will likely be in the classifieds a year after completion.

YMMV.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
This isn't my 1st rifle. I own a few. I wanted to build a "long range gun." And have heard how great the 300 ultra is from a number of friends.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
And have heard how great the 300 ultra is from a number of friends.

You were assuming your friends would actually admit that their .300U is pompous in all categorys?

Again, YMMV.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A friend of mine fell into the "300 mag for a one rifle, do it all" trap a while back. It got old pretty quick, and the set up he ran was handier than the one you're contemplating.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This isn't my 1st rifle. I own a few. I wanted to build a "long range gun." And have heard how great the 300 ultra is from a number of friends.

Your friends are wrong.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don't think a #5 contour barrel and "all around rifle" could used in the same sentence with a straight face...

Again, YMMV.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Ok I give up. You guys win

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Long range = what kind of yardage to you?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a custom 700 in 300 RUM..it's my elk stomper! It is made by John Lewis at Carolina Precision Rifles on a 700 action, Shilen match barrel and McMillan "700 BDL" stock. I love the stock as it is just a smidgen larger than an actual 700 BDL...just a hair. It is balanced very well and shoots a quarter inch with Nosler AB, or BT's and a half in with old recipe Trophy Bonded Bear Claws (My elk load). It originally had one of John's muzzle brakes on it,but I had him take it off and turn off the threads and re-crown. I hate muzzle brakes and this rifle was no exception...no one wanted to be anywhere near me when elk hunting with that instrument of Satan on the muzzle! I took it off and just put myself in the proper frame of mind when shooting it off the bench...when hunting, I never notice the recoil anyway.

Good luck with your project!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,201
Posts18,485,216
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.