Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My views on killing have not changed much. I never went in for a lot of it. What I killed, where,and how were always a lot more important than tallying carcasses,and I have walked away from lots of opportunities for various reasons.

I have taken part in selective hunting and burned a lot of tags in the process.Most of that was trip-specific,and sticking to standards, win or lose.

In those instances I really missed the meat, which has always been important. But I generally got what I needed elsewhere,and never felt cheated that I came back without an animal.

Observing wildlife without the imperative to kill is a nice activity, but lacks the same levels of intensity, awareness,and attention to detail; it does not drive you to more out of the way places,rougher country, more remote,than the casual observer.Consequently, you do not ever learn as much about the animals,nor see the country exactly the same way.

Interacting with wildlife on a predator/prey relationship involves more intense involvement....it isn't necessary to kill to bring it all to fruition....you always have the option of taking a pass when the time comes. But the opportunity to kill has to be present, if it's "hunting". If it isn't, the activity is something else.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't kill possums in the yard to kill possums in the yard. It is as simple as making groceries and I'd sooner eat venison. I don't see that changing and will continue on.

Luckily for people supermarkets abound, it allows them to be introspective and caring...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
when i was about 8, i brought home a songbird i had shot with a bb gun. That lead to a azzwhupping by my father for killing something for no purpose, and a one year restriction on the bb gun. I have never been a sport hunter, just what they would call a meat hunter. And even that has gotten harder to do as i have gotten old. I will go again for elk this fall, mainly cause i like elk to eat, but it is not done easily or without respect for the elk. I have always said a little prayer over them, thanking the Gods or God for sending them my way, and they would be used properly. I understand it is part of the process, and ultimately a lot better than how that fast food hamburger is obtained.
Having said that, I am always reminded in these types of conversations of a Edward Albey quote, which i will somewhat paraphrase. He said a young man with out blood lust, probably isn't much of a man, but an older man that still has the blood lust isn't much of a man. I tend to agree with this. It's enough to go out and chase them anymore, I don't have to prove myself by killing anything.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well, although I almost strictly hunt for trophy animals anymore (with a couple of exceptions), when I go hunting I have every intention of killing something, and I don't see that changing. I also wholeheartedly agree with SH's analogy.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
[quote=RoninPhx]when i was about 8, i brought home a songbird i had shot with a bb gun. That lead to a azzwhupping by my father for killing something for no purpose, and a one year restriction on the bb gun. I have never been a sport hunter, just what they would call a meat hunter. And even that has gotten harder to do as i have gotten old. I will go again for elk this fall, mainly cause i like elk to eat, but it is not done easily or without respect for the elk. I have always said a little prayer over them, thanking the Gods or God for sending them my way, and they would be used properly. I understand it is part of the process, and ultimately a lot better than how that fast food hamburger is obtained.
Having said that, I am always reminded in these types of conversations of a Edward Albey quote, which i will somewhat paraphrase. He said a young man with out blood lust, probably isn't much of a man, but an older man that still has the blood lust isn't much of a man. I tend to agree with this. It's enough to go out and chase them anymore, I don't have to prove myself by killing anything.[/quote

I would have thought you were learning how to hunt and shoot and be a provider. As such, he should have been proud of you for accomplishing the feat on your own. A good bird dog starts with lizards and butterflies.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't kill as voraciously as I used to.

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Luckily for people supermarkets abound, it allows them to be introspective and caring...

Exactly. And it allows people to feel superior for not doing the killing themselves. Which is ass-backwards.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by smokepole

Exactly. And it allows people to feel superior for not doing the killing themselves. Which is ass-backwards.

Right, and what did the news paper clipping say?

'Hunters suck, they should go to the grocery store where the meat is made'

Stupid people really need to stop screwing. crazy

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Don't kill as voraciously as I used to.

Me too. With the exception of coyotes, cottonmouths, crows, and hogs, I don't shoot much these days that I don't plan to eat. I think part of that has come from getting older, while another part has come from hunting with my young children, as they love watching all the critters. I don't even shoot armadillos anymore, unless they are causing a problem. I'm more of a meat hunter these days than I ever was.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My views on hunting haven't changed a whole lot over the years but I certainly do appreciate the time I get to spend in the woods a whole lot more.

I use to love watching hunting videos but anymore, I just can't stomach watching some buffoon wound an animal and then celebrate while it lays there struggling to survive.

I don't take risky shots either, if I don't think I can get close enough to kill an animal quickly then I simply don't shoot it.

Too many hunters these days only care about putting another notch in their trophy belt, instead of caring more on how it's harvested.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I don't dance around, jerkoff and high five everyone in sight after killing a critter.

That said, I still get much gratitude in it and don't think much about it as it's not a hobby, it's something I'm supposed to do.

I know I will always eat meat, so I'd rather it come by my hands than from the store. I figure if you are always gonna eat something that was living and breathing you should do it yourself.

Life feeds on life. Always has, always will.

That.

When I was younger I'd kill just to kill like songbirds & rodents & such.

Today I kill only what I eat (with coyotes & woodchucks as exceptions) and never kill non-game animals. I occasionally let game animals and even the occasional varmint walk, and my sons & I even love bird watching as a pastime in & of itself.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I absolutely love to hunt and to put bullets into things. I'm not the greatest at it and I don't know it all, but I love it. I love the physical strain of it, I love putting bullets through meat, I love getting bloody, I love cutting up meat and putting it in a pack, I love dragging dead schit up hill, I love dragging dead schit down hill, and the further I am from the truck, the happier I am, typically....

I love taking other people hunting. My favorite part of it isn't lunch, or the sunrise, or the time spent together, or the cool, crisp, autumn air. My favorite part of it is when the bullet from their rifle sends lung and goo all over the opposite side of the animal we're after. Because to me, that's what hunting is. It's finding schit and killing it and (outside of fornicating) there is nothing more fun on this earth than finding and killing schit.

My heart still pounds when I call in a coyote. Not because I think a coyote is an amazing or majestic creature, but because I love shooting coyotes and I realize I have another opportunity to shoot one. And I become just as thrilled when I hear the "TWHACK" of a bullet as I did when I was 12 years old.

Know what my favorite part of a bird flushing is? When it catches a full dose of #5's out of my Benelli and hits the earth. How's that for romanticism?

I could shoot gophers all day every day for the rest of my life, and then shoot some more. Do I like putting bullets into those cute fuzzy critters? Yes, I do. Does it help the rancher when I shoot them? Sure it does. Do I really give a schit? No. I'm out there to shoot them because I love shooting them.

When I see a chuck sitting in a perfect spot my heart still races. And when the bullet impacts and the 'chuck goes in four different directions, I smile and thank God for inventing gun powder and primers.

When I shoot prairie dogs I love to see them explode and the higher they go into the sky, the higher my spirits are raised.

I always congratulate my fellow hunters when they have succeeded. But in all sincerity, I only do this because I was raised to be polite. The reality is I look a their picture and just wish I was the one that killed it and it motivates me to go back out and find something bigger and better to kill.

So, no. I don't think I've changed any.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Honesty at its best!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I never killed for "sport," so haven't had to change any on that.

Killing is part and parcel of any REAL life, and I hope to have lived a real life when it's all over. So, I'll keep hunting, and killing, and eating, until I die. No shame in that, ever.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Honesty

Gettin' rare these days...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by MColeman
I have come to the same place as you, bcraig. In fact, I'm probably worse.

I'm not anti hunting and may have to kill in order to survive but that's the only reason I'll kill. I find that I have less and less patience with the "trophy hunter". My ego does not require or demand that I kill something in order to validate my existence.

I was building a rifle for a customer and he said, "If I see a monster deer beside the road I'll shoot him, cut his horns off and leave him there." I didn't even want to finish his rifle and will never do another for him under any circumstances.

A well known barrel maker was in the habit of setting up a Barr & Stroud rangefinder and shooting elk at over 1200 yards. I'll never buy one of his barrels. Anybody who uses a magnificent animal for target practice is beneath contempt. In the time of flight of the bullet at that distance the animal can take one step and turn a heart shot into a gut shot. If the animal is across a canyon you know the "hunter" won't make that trek just to verify a kill.

Let me offer a couple of comments. Just the other side of the coin.
Someone that kills to cut off antlers and go on, is a poacher, game thief, and should be convicted of such. NOT a hunter. Or a trophy hunter. Period.

To me anyway. Trophy hunting to me is hunting a specific animal, and that one may have big antlers or none at all. Instead of just shooting what comes along, I try, at times, to be specific for whatever reason. Not to orphan fawns even though they will survive. To put antlers on the wall. To help cleanse the gene pool. To not let an older animal suffer. To put sausage in the freezer etc... many reasons for being specific.

Re the long range, everything has time of flight. And that time of flight can be micro seconds or seconds. ANYTHING can move at any time and screw up a shot. IMHO more close range ones are screwed because more are attempted. And more long range ones work because of the ability of the folks, they KNOW about things like time of flight, and whats good or bad... Typically a prepared long range shooter will pass on many shots, but the ones they take are as close to 100% as you can get.

As to going to check, if the guy was setting up a Barr and Stoud, he'll go find the game after he shoots.

Now OTOH how many bubbas out there hunt with a boresighted (or not) never fired walmart gun and ammo and are so convinced that if they hit the deer its going to knock it over, that if they get a shot, even at 100 yards or less adn the deer runs off, they won't even go look. ...
My long was 802... up a mountain. Took us over an hour to get up to the location to find the caribou. Would not have done it any other way, IE not going to look.

I"m not arguing so much as giving another point of view.

But in the end I don't have to kill to feel successful now either. As a youth I did. But now I feel remiss if I dont', just because of the lack of fresh and dry sausage...

Jeff

Jeff,
I don't think we disagree at all. I just didn't make the effort to expand my comments to include your position.

To me a hunter is a man who knows a particular animal exists and where it exists, learns its habits and matches wits and skill with the animal. Most deer "hunters" are deer shooters who just happened to be at the right place at the right time. I also agree that the average bubba you meet in the woods can't hit a refrigerator 3 shots out of 5 and 100 yards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've declared war on Cowbirds. I'll kill every one I have the chance at. Racoons too but the opportunities ain't as often as I'd like. I'll kill wild hogs too but my Pop killed so many the last few years of his life that there's not too many left around here anymore. But Cowbirds... They are hell on songbirds and I'm the equalizer.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MColeman
I have come to the same place as you, bcraig. In fact, I'm probably worse.

I'm not anti hunting and may have to kill in order to survive but that's the only reason I'll kill. I find that I have less and less patience with the "trophy hunter". My ego does not require or demand that I kill something in order to validate my existence.

I was building a rifle for a customer and he said, "If I see a monster deer beside the road I'll shoot him, cut his horns off and leave him there." I didn't even want to finish his rifle and will never do another for him under any circumstances.

A well known barrel maker was in the habit of setting up a Barr & Stroud rangefinder and shooting elk at over 1200 yards. I'll never buy one of his barrels. Anybody who uses a magnificent animal for target practice is beneath contempt. In the time of flight of the bullet at that distance the animal can take one step and turn a heart shot into a gut shot. If the animal is across a canyon you know the "hunter" won't make that trek just to verify a kill.

+1

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent discussion that I really don't have a definitive answer for although I must admit to admiring Travis' eloquence. I love to hunt, always have and probably or at least I hope so, always will. I am perfectly fine with those that eschew hunting personally, just as long as their views and actions don't interfere with mine. If one is a PURE vegetarian and I mean pure, then I can see the their point to, but if you enjoy a good steak and wear leather shoes and belts, I sure hope you realize how those articles came to be.

Sure I enjoy eating the game I shoot, but frankly, I give most of it away. I am an unapologetic trophy hunter. I just enjoy the thrill the hunt gives me. And yes I pay to hunt for the most part, although this past season, save for the GREAT bird hunt I went with Hatari and Pugs, all my hunts have been DIY.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good post and the line about bird hunting was the best part.

Seems like a lot of people over romanticise bird hunting to have a built in excuse for not having a full game bag at the end of the day.

If my dogs could talk they'd say the best part of the day is watching a pheasant get crushed by 4's and racing each other to get teeth on the cock.

Maybe it's because I'm young but if I go hunting and I'm not shooting I get disappointed.

Last edited by wisturkeyhunter; 04/21/14.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10ring1, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,851 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,756
Posts18,514,819
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.