Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Deflave, well said.. I knew I could count on you.. I love shooting also.. And fooling with different guns.. I am not as quick on the trigger as I used to be and let somethings pass.. But I still love hunting, and shooting..

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
I absolutely love to hunt and to put bullets into things. I'm not the greatest at it and I don't know it all, but I love it. I love the physical strain of it, I love putting bullets through meat, I love getting bloody, I love cutting up meat and putting it in a pack, I love dragging dead schit up hill, I love dragging dead schit down hill, and the further I am from the truck, the happier I am, typically....

I love taking other people hunting. My favorite part of it isn't lunch, or the sunrise, or the time spent together, or the cool, crisp, autumn air. My favorite part of it is when the bullet from their rifle sends lung and goo all over the opposite side of the animal we're after. Because to me, that's what hunting is. It's finding schit and killing it and (outside of fornicating) there is nothing more fun on this earth than finding and killing schit.

My heart still pounds when I call in a coyote. Not because I think a coyote is an amazing or majestic creature, but because I love shooting coyotes and I realize I have another opportunity to shoot one. And I become just as thrilled when I hear the "TWHACK" of a bullet as I did when I was 12 years old.

Know what my favorite part of a bird flushing is? When it catches a full dose of #5's out of my Benelli and hits the earth. How's that for romanticism?

I could shoot gophers all day every day for the rest of my life, and then shoot some more. Do I like putting bullets into those cute fuzzy critters? Yes, I do. Does it help the rancher when I shoot them? Sure it does. Do I really give a schit? No. I'm out there to shoot them because I love shooting them.

When I see a chuck sitting in a perfect spot my heart still races. And when the bullet impacts and the 'chuck goes in four different directions, I smile and thank God for inventing gun powder and primers.

When I shoot prairie dogs I love to see them explode and the higher they go into the sky, the higher my spirits are raised.

I always congratulate my fellow hunters when they have succeeded. But in all sincerity, I only do this because I was raised to be polite. The reality is I look a their picture and just wish I was the one that killed it and it motivates me to go back out and find something bigger and better to kill.

So, no. I don't think I've changed any.

Travis

PETA just revoked your membership...................

laugh

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt for the freezer, but I wouldn't hesitate to cap a trophy. Meat is meat. Not much here in the way of prairie dogs, but coyotes are fair game. Hogs, I'll shoot every one I see, not because of the desire to kill, but to control numbers. Too many of them around, and they definitely have a negative impact on the indigenous critters.

Enjoyed the prairie dog shoot a few years ago in Texas, and would do it again smile

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Luckily for people supermarkets abound, it allows them to be introspective and caring...

Exactly. And it allows people to feel superior for not doing the killing themselves. Which is ass-backwards.

Yeah but it's funny how fast they will run to a venison roast..and funnier still how fast it disappears.

I love game meat and gather it whenever I can. But I don't tell many people about it other than family.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Travis, well said, eloquently as someone put it. I feel the same way though less strongly after all the years. Particularly the more strenuous part of it but I can say that for yard work too. For example yard bunnies, squirrels and such get a pass so long as they're not causing damage because I like to watch them. But no regrets or sadness if they need to be popped, I enjoy that too.

A little introspection would be interesting, why do you feel that way? Of course not necessary but can lead you to interesting places.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last year I killed an antelope buck, mule deer buck and bull elk - had a hell of a great time hunting them and the meat in the freezer is nice when beef is $4-5 per pound. I plan on spending plenty of time in the field again this year - I think about hunting and shooting all the time, I think it's what keeps me going. I've been doing it for 30+ years now and I have no plan to stop. Maybe when I can't get up the hill any longer I'll have to refocus my ambitions, but for now I even use it for motivation to stay in shape.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Putting some venison in the freezer has always been an enjoyable pursuit for me.

If I said that I've never felt a twinge of sorrow or guilt for my quarry before or after the hunt I'd be lying.

Denny

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by nighthawk

A little introspection would be interesting, why do you feel that way?

Because I'm normal.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter

Seems like a lot of people over romanticise bird hunting to have a built in excuse for not having a full game bag at the end of the day.

Bird hunting is getting about as bad as catching a trout with a fly rod... grin

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Deflave, well said.. I knew I could count on you..

I'm here for you. Unless I'm not.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bird hunting is getting about as bad as catching a trout with a fly rod... grin

Travis

I hear they're having some difficulty with the shooting and release part grin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Younger days I'd kill more than I should, today I let game walk more than ever, and will be the first to hand a friend my rifle to let him take the shot.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

I hear they're having some difficulty with the shooting and release part grin

Yes but they contribute lots of dollars to the Whatever the [bleep] Fund and they lease the ground so only guys carrying SxS's and people with really, really, really, expensive dogs get to participate in the harvesting of these majestic birds we all so dearly cherish...

WTF happened to sending the drunkest guys to the opposite end of the field as blockers?

grin

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

WTF happened to sending the drunkest guys to the opposite end of the field as blockers?

grin

Travis

you sure you weren't born or conceived in the South? laugh

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
They traded the Pabst for scotch and now they just drive around until they find the prettiest cover to run their dog their wife let them get.

Somebody else trains the dog though.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

If I were from the south, how would explain my ability to spell?

Think before you post, sir.

Travis

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

grin

Travis

I'm pretty sure drunk guys blocking escaping game is another way to spell Midwestern November afternoon.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
My best ground shot was 7 quail with one shell... guys with dogs have no idea how to sneak up on'm...

Kent

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter

I'm pretty sure drunk guys blocking escaping game is another way to spell Midwestern November afternoon.

Too [bleep]' funny.

And 100% accurate...

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by krp
My best ground shot was 7 quail with one shell... guys with dogs have no idea how to sneak up on'm...

Kent

Laughin' my ass off...

Travis

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 39 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,176
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.