-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All i can say about my views on killing, there are a lot of things still walking and breathing because i don't want to go to jail.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Started hunting when i was a little schit! About the only thing that has changed is better equipment. Someone has to keep the local animal population in check! Ripe ole age of 37 now and enjoy every breathing second of it! Doubt that will ever change.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Not everybody is a killer. This how the grocery store's stay in business.

Yes, and there's a word for people who eat what others have killed--scavengers.

So I am guessing you have not purchased meat from a butcher's shop before.
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Not everybody is a killer. This how the grocery store's stay in business.

So I am guessing you have not purchased meat from a butcher's shop before.
I am the butcher shop. Cattle, hogs and such. That being said sometimes I have split a bovine with a neighbor that owns a shop who's wife likes my meat

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll hate myself in the morning, but picking up some killer Ribeye steaks at the butcher today...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
And just for the heck of it I shall have my wife hunt around in the local butcher shop and fetch me some marinated beef ribs for tea tonight.

Might even get her to stalk the isles at the supermarket and see if she can scare up some greens to go with them.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Congrats, you have now become the author of one of the ten dumbest things ever posted on the fire.
Careful your eyes don't permanently cross from looking down your nose at everyone that's ever bought meat at a store or restaurant.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 04/22/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'll hate myself in the morning, but picking up some killer Ribeye steaks at the butcher today...

If my flight plan to Tallahasee went anywhere Casa de Valkerie, I'd be there with a bottle of red and an appetite!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bcraig
I am a hunter and gun nut for 44 years.
I believe in hunting as a means of controling animal populations to prevent disease,starvation etc.
I firmy believe in the right to keep and bear arms.
I have killed many animals, small game and at least a couple of deer a year for those 44 years.
Used handguns,bows ,blackpowder etc.
I just wanted to say these things before I get to my main question so the people who dont know me wont think I am an anti gunner or hunter.

I am finding myself in a position that I love the outdoors,shooting ,and hunting BUT I am enjoying the killing of animals less and less.
Where I hunt there is no realistic danger of overpopulation of deer,
Although I like to eat deer meat I certainly would not dry up and blow away if I never eat it again.
I have always been humbled somewhat after taking an animals life(except for when I was a Kid )but I find myself more and more questioning myself why I kill for sport.
Every time I kill an animal(deer for example)I find myself thinking that this animal was alive and I took its life for what reason?
I gut, skin and cut up my own kills and do not waste any more meat than I have to, SO I am not killing JUST to be killing, But still find myself thinking that I am killing when I dont have to ,as in survival.
I just dont like the killing as much as I used to.
Nothing left to prove ,no wonder IF I can with homemade bows and arrows,reloads ,cast bullets etc.I KNOW I can .But wondering more and more if I should.

I know this all sounds like probably the wrong thing to say on a hunting, fishing forum BUT just wondering if there are any other hunters here who have experienced or are experiencing these types of thoughts when killing animals?

Nope.

I admit that the main reason I do very little killing anymore is age and laziness. I don't want the work that follows, and I have access to "other-than-commercial" meat anyway.

That's it.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Deflave, well said.. I knew I could count on you..

I'm here for you. Unless I'm not.

Travis

Wherefore art thou when not?

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Again, lucky we have supermarkets today. They ain't been around that long but it allows the meek to continue to procreate.

Never will forget Paris Hilton saying,
"I don't believe in eating animals.
"DO you eat hamburger?
"Yes."
"Where do you think it comes from?"
"The grocery store, where they make it."

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Congrats, you have now become the author of one of the ten dumbest things ever posted on the fire.
Careful your eyes don't permanently cross from looking down your nose at everyone that's ever bought meat at a store or restaurant.

hahaha!
polesmoker what an idiot

Hey!! Your going the wrongway.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
I absolutely love to hunt and to put bullets into things. I'm not the greatest at it and I don't know it all, but I love it. I love the physical strain of it, I love putting bullets through meat, I love getting bloody, I love cutting up meat and putting it in a pack, I love dragging dead schit up hill, I love dragging dead schit down hill, and the further I am from the truck, the happier I am, typically....

I love taking other people hunting. My favorite part of it isn't lunch, or the sunrise, or the time spent together, or the cool, crisp, autumn air. My favorite part of it is when the bullet from their rifle sends lung and goo all over the opposite side of the animal we're after. Because to me, that's what hunting is. It's finding schit and killing it and (outside of fornicating) there is nothing more fun on this earth than finding and killing schit.

My heart still pounds when I call in a coyote. Not because I think a coyote is an amazing or majestic creature, but because I love shooting coyotes and I realize I have another opportunity to shoot one. And I become just as thrilled when I hear the "TWHACK" of a bullet as I did when I was 12 years old.

Know what my favorite part of a bird flushing is? When it catches a full dose of #5's out of my Benelli and hits the earth. How's that for romanticism?

I could shoot gophers all day every day for the rest of my life, and then shoot some more. Do I like putting bullets into those cute fuzzy critters? Yes, I do. Does it help the rancher when I shoot them? Sure it does. Do I really give a schit? No. I'm out there to shoot them because I love shooting them.

When I see a chuck sitting in a perfect spot my heart still races. And when the bullet impacts and the 'chuck goes in four different directions, I smile and thank God for inventing gun powder and primers.

When I shoot prairie dogs I love to see them explode and the higher they go into the sky, the higher my spirits are raised.

I always congratulate my fellow hunters when they have succeeded. But in all sincerity, I only do this because I was raised to be polite. The reality is I look a their picture and just wish I was the one that killed it and it motivates me to go back out and find something bigger and better to kill.

So, no. I don't think I've changed any.

Travis

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I can hunt without killing something and be OK with it, but I hunt with the anticipation of killing. I love being outdoors, but if I wasn't going to kill, I'd take up golf.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I love hunting. My son loves hunting. Dad even still loves to hunt and he's in his 80's. Heck of a pheasant shot still.

Have I changed? Yes, I take greater pleasure in my son filling his tag than I do in filling mine. I put his success first when we're hunting. Sometimes that means he tags game and I don't. That's fine with me.

I also don't really care very much about antler size anymore. Except I would like to put a Really Big Mulie on the wall someday. Mostly I'm just after the experience of the hunt, and of course filling the freezer with delicious venison!

Recently I've been making more of an effort to hunt with a camera. I'll likely NEVER actually draw the once-in-a-lifetime tag to hunt mountain goat, bighorn sheep or moose here in Washington, but I can sure use my camera to get them!

Oh, and yes, I shoot coyotes with great glee.

Regards, Guy

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Killing is part of hunting.If I need meat I kill.If I don`t then, I am a watcher.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't get off on killing things.

Never have shot a rabbit or a raccoon or a squirrel. Don't think I even shot a gopher last year.

Now if something needs to be killed then I get a kick out of that for sure. But if there is no challenge......pass.

I'd just as soon shoot steel as anything else.

Unless we talking horns.... That's really why I hunt. The challenge, pure and simple.

I absolutely love to look for a nice buck, gotta see what's over the next hill......

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Even as a "newbie" hunter at age 12, I felt kinda sorry for the first rabbit I ever shot... and as the years piled up and I hunted big game, I never liked the killing, but rather I liked the good (very accurate) one-shot kill. However, once the game was "down", I wished it was alive again and could get up and run away.

Then I took a fly-in moose hunting trip into an unnamed lake in the deep Canadian bush where I shot a very large bull moose with a 5-foot+ antler spread that stood 6-foot+ at the shoulder, I stood there looking down at that magnificent animal and mentally questioned "WHY?"... i.e., what was gained by this death?

As I stood there, looking down at this beautiful animal, I began to realize that this big fella had survived at least 7 or 8 frigid Canadian winters plus 'most likely attacks by wolves and possibly even attempts by a "Mr. Griz" or two to make several "meals" outta him... and then this guy (me) from Ohio, USA dropped down on the lake in a float-plane, stepped off on the shore at a hunting camp by the lake and, the next morning out of a canoe, shot & killed this moose... it suddenly all seemed ridiculous and for nothing!

I stopped hunting for several years after that... and never shot another game animal even though, 20 years later, I trekked 350 miles for the next 15 years over to my good friend's deer camp hunting out of his cozy cabin up on the High Plateau among the mountain laurel in the Moshannon State Forest in north-central Pennsylvania.

I saw a good many deer during those 15 years of going to deer camp, but never fired my rifle even though I looked through the scope at several deer, but only whispered "BANG!", but never touched the rifle's trigger.

I don't mind if other fellas still hunt and kill deer or other game... but after the moose, the killing stopped being something I wanted to do although I truly enjoyed my time-in-the-woods and the camaraderie of hunting camp. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I've gotten older I've become more uncomfortable about killing animals simply for the fun of killing them.

So now I just wound them...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I trophy hunt in order to keep from screwing up the hunt with a loud noise and messed up morning. I trophy hunt to let bucks have many years to spread their genes. I trophy hunt because I love to hunt, but not kill things.

Finally in Jan and Feb this year I 'shot' a couple of does because the game dept said the ranch had 35 too many for the welfare of the property.

Most years I may see a 150-300 deer. I haven't killed a buck in 4 years.

When I do kill one, he'll have had plenty of opportunity to have spread his genes around. He will be getting old with no dentist or dr or nursing home. He will have died quickly and not been starved down, before the coyotes fed on him a while before he fell to the ground.

Last edited by eyeball; 04/22/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My kill rate went way down�THUD! when I laid down my rifles and picked up a longbow.

And it didn�t bother me a bit. Gave me more time and places to hunt.

Not to say that I do not pick the guns back up from time to time.

Nice to have the skills that give me the choice.
And grandkids to do it with.

Last edited by BOWSINGER; 04/24/14.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,826
Posts18,516,817
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.