Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnGreyBeard
Originally Posted by iambrb
Ok, so a friend of our family is going thru a tough situation right now. They committed & were convicted of a crime. Although not violent, because of the nature of it, it was splashed all over local and state papers, and was kept front page here for an unusually long time. As such, this person cannot get help of ANY type here, save a small amount from our church, and handouts from the ex. amazing that in this day and age, a person worries DAILY about getting just two meals per day, not to mention the other very basic things of life.

So my question is, really, SERIOUSLY, when is this person forgiven? Not by Jesus, but by society? When they are dead? When they are starved to nothing, and then dead? When they become so desperate that they commit a crime, and then become prisoners / de-facto wards of the state?

Really would like some serious answers to this, thanks

I'm sorry for the situation your friend is in! I sure can understand it though! I've been disabled for quite some time, not enough according to Uncle Sam for disability and I sure can't work! After almost 10 years of no income, I have nothing at all left! I can understand completely having no options left and wondering if crime might be the only way out! I'm lucky though in a way since I'm way to feeble to be a criminal and have no wife or kids to worry about! If I had I may have done something desperate long ago!

If your friend committed a felony I'm afraid it's going to follow him the rest of his days! Even if it wasn't a felony the community will never forget and he'll always be that guy that ....(whatever he did)!
When your really down and out, prison doesn't sound all that bad! 3 meals a day, a bunk, a roof over your head and heat in the winter! Some of us can't get all that even after working all their lives!

Bad things happen to us all but what really matters is how we deal with it! Maybe after while, if your friend is healthy and willing maybe he can start to do some kind of community service and if he gets back on his feet maybe helping others to show all that he's not the crook folks think he is!

BUT sometimes communities never forget or forgive! If that's the case he may want to move on and start over elsewhere!

I tell ya all this not for a boo hoo woo is me but to show ya that any of us could be in that exact situation at almost any time!

I hope you can help your friend and I hope it doesn't come back to bite ya in the butt!

if he is getting help from the church get a recomendation from the Pastor to a church in a new town where a member may be able to hire him with the understanding that there is a 30-60-90- day or what ever conditional period so that a trust can be built and the man can get some security and work satisfaction , takes time to build a trust but he'll die before he gets it where he is

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by isaac
True friendship doesn't ever require forgiveness.
I strongly disagree. True friendship means that forgiveness is rapidly and seriously given, not ignored. Lack of forgiveness has destroyed many a true friendship.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I understand your slant, completely. What I was trying to articulate is that with true friendship, nothing could happen which required forgiveness.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The formula is Contrition times Time (C x T = F) equals public forgiveness. KInda silly, but it is what I see.

There may be no more forgiving culture in the world than ours, but open contrition and time for healing are a must. Think about our relationships with Japan and Germany.

Has anyone noticed what has happened in Korea over the ferry tragedy? Forgiveness does not appear to be anything to be personally expected. The principal hanged himself and the PM is offering to resign.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kid0917
Are they doing jail time?

No. family had to sell possessions to pay the debt required, it was swindling. Was felony level though

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

No. family had to sell possessions to pay the debt required, it was swindling. Was felony level though

So he is a thief...never is the answer for that.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Jesus taught in parables. They have relevance to spiritual people and are nothing but stories to anyone else. When he taught the adulteress he spoke to her and not the masses. When he had finished they were alone and she was sent on her way to live her life without condemnation provided she understood his teachings.

We could all learn a lesson from this, but sadly, it is sometimes easier to be critical than forgiving. There s a higher law, we need to remember that and respect one another's dignity and hope for the same consideration when we fail...

Thanks Shrap. Should have taken you up on that Thanksgiving dinner I said I was going to crash some years ago, but the commute from SC was a bit long.

Seriously, have really been pondering this. In my deepening walk with Christ, I am finding myself seriously thinking about addict recovery or prison ministry, with strong leanings towards the latter. The advice given here by others as to forgiveness is sage, would really like to hear more (an not saying that to keep the thread going, I promise!)

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I understand your slant, completely. What I was trying to articulate is that with true friendship, nothing could happen which required forgiveness.

But things do happen, often unintentionally. We're human and humans screw up, even with their friends.

One very destructive example was the infamous quote from 'Love Story' - 'love means never having to say you're sorry'. I wonder how many marriages were destroyed because people actually believed that crap.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You get this one.A friend will not only not hurt you but will get hurt so you dont.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It sounds to me like it's time for the chap to just leave town and get a fresh start.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When they are convinced he has repented.Not a minute sooner.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
But things do happen, often unintentionally. We're human and humans screw up, even with their friends.
===============

Saying I'm sorry for whatever reason is one thing but,to me, seeking forgiveness is a level of confession well above that.

Seeking forgiveness should never happen with one considered a true friend.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There's your problem. There are few things humans are less likely to forget and that is thievery using trust to accomplish.

And it's not forgiveness he's seeking. It that he wants the community at large to forget. Or at least give a second chance. Different things

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The first step in deserving and receiving forgiveness is true repentance. You do not mention anything that equates to that in your post. Has he confessed the crime? Is he truly sorry for committing the crime? (Being sorry you were caught does not count). Has he changed his behavior? Has he tried to make restitution? Until those things happen, forgiveness will surely elude him.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 04/26/14.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I do not forgive or forget when a knowing person purposely does wrong, especially if it affects others or is out of greed.

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A thief was forgivin on a cross right next to Christ,we some times forget That Christ is the answer and everything else is

just a bandaid.

Bob

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
The first step in deserving and receiving forgiveness is true repentance. You do not mention anything that equates to that in your post. Has he confessed the crime? Is he truly sorry for committing the crime? (Being sorry you were caught does not count). Has he changed his behavior? Has he tried to make restitution? Until those things happen, forgiveness will surely elude him.
I agree.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ok, so a friend of our family is going thru a tough situation right now. They committed & were convicted of a crime. Although not violent, because of the nature of it, it was splashed all over local and state papers, and was kept front page here for an unusually long time. As such, this person cannot get help of ANY type here, save a small amount from our church, and handouts from the ex. amazing that in this day and age, a person worries DAILY about getting just two meals per day, not to mention the other very basic things of life.

So my question is, really, SERIOUSLY, when is this person forgiven? Not by Jesus, but by society? When they are dead? When they are starved to nothing, and then dead? When they become so desperate that they commit a crime, and then become prisoners / de-facto wards of the state?

Really would like some serious answers to this, thanks

Forgiveness and trust are two different things.

Just an FYI.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As there are peeps on here that live in this area, I just cannot/will not say what happened enuff to figure any of it out, suffice to say the individual took money over time, and that can add up, and trust me, it did. restitution, the term I could not come up with earlier, completely wiped them out. This person has a degree from a prestigious Southeastern school, and is multi-lingual....and Mcdonalds will not hire them. Wal-mart 3rd shift stock either, they tried. You can only handout fish for so long, and it sure can be hard to give a fishing pole when society keeps breaking the pole!

To the individuals that stated move and make a new start, that might at first seem to make sense, but the issue is their only familial support network is here and a minor child is involved, so being able to move is not as easy as at first perceived.

Last edited by iambrb; 04/26/14.

_
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
As there are peeps on here that live in this area, I just cannot/will not say what happened enuff to figure any of it out, suffice to say the individual took money over time, and that can add up, and trust me, it did. This person has a degree froma prestigious Southeastern school, and is multi-lingual....and Mcdonalds will not hire them. Wal-mart 3rd shift stock either, they tried. You can oly handout fish for so long, and it sure can be hard to give a fishing pole when society keeps breaking the pole!

To the individuals that sated move and make a new start, that might at first seem to make sense, but the issue is their only familial support network is here and a minor child is involved, so being able to move is not as easy as at first perceived.

That makes no sense. McDonalds may not hire him to manage a location, but they'll hire him to cook fries.

He can find a job. It just may not be the job he wants.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,821
Posts18,477,858
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.