Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I agree Sam.. Must have shot close 100 deer with various .300's.. Never had them complain about being hit too hard..

None of the deer I ever shot with my .300 Winny had any more damage than had they been shot with a 30-06 or a .308.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Does it really matter if a 30/06 is a bit of overkill for deer?

I mean, after all, it's always been intended to be a Big Game cartridge; not the "perfect" deer cartridge,whatever that is.

Bob, no it does not matter if the 30-06 is 'overkill'.

I have shot 5-6 deer with a 300 WSM and 180 Partitions. Works great, almost as good as 270.....grin

Sam/ WCH: I have had the audacity to turn a 300 Win Mag with elk boolits on them...guess what it works! Almost as good as a 270, too! grin

Course sometimes I had elk on the same hunt so that is my excuse. blush

Ever notice that with those 300's you can hear the WHOP! at 300-400 yards? cool

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One of my favorite antelope set-ups is a 30/06 with 200 grain nosler partitions. Makes it easy to hear the hits, and it doesn't ruin much meat! Penetration is at least adequate...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by WSM_Shooter
Yes Moosemike when hunting public land it is nice to have a little extra knockdown. More chance you won't have a far tracking job. I don't know about other places but guys in PA will steal a deer in a heartbeat before you get to it.

You got that right. And if your deer falls over dead in front of them. They won't hesitate to put a "finisher" in it and tag it themselves.

Yes and the quote; " Yes, you can have your Elk, but would you mind if I take my saddle off it?" happens just as frequently out West. Must be those damn traveling Pa hunters.

Right???? The world some live in never falls to amaze me.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Fred I bet that works good too!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I am a very observant person. Over the years I have hunted other states on public land. I have hunted areas that are overrun with deer and get shot out in 2-3 years. The common denominator seems to be an influx of PA license plates in the campgrounds. Seems pretty obvious to me that we are either better shots(I really doubt that due to the wounded deer I have killed in PA)or PA hunters simply know how to hunt deer. I have never had somebody run up and tag a deer I shot. On the other hand, I don't hunt 100 yards from a road either.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
These days you just don't see all that many hunters in Pa. Especially after the first day. Have shot running Deer here, but it is not the norm. Happened more often when we used to put on drives, but even then most we're trotting. About 5 years ago I shot the first crippled deer in a long time.

Then again, those from the eastern part of the state are notorious for being lousy hunters. The Harrisburg/Phiily crew most especially, and that makes about as much sense as Pa hunters having the tendency to tag others kill.Yes it has happened, but probably not more frequently than in the rest of the country. Yes there was that incident where there was a confrontation between land owner and hunter that made the news. I seem to remember a similar situation up in Wisconsin.

How can one of the most widely used Deer rifles in the country be too much and when does one carry too little? Where is perfect?

Funny stuff. Depending on how you look at it. wink

Last edited by battue; 04/30/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
perhaps a better title to the threat would be "30-06, is it plenty for deer or just right?"

because the general consensus is it's a classic and is plenty powerful for any deer that walks north america. the rest is just verbiage.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Perhaps it is too much if one uses 200s. A little less too much if one uses 180s.
Almost perfect nirvana with 165s and possibly lacking with 150s�.

Funny [bleep]�. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
These days you just don't see all that many hunters in Pa. Especially after the first day. Have shot running Deer here, but it is not the norm. Happened more often when we used to put on drives, but even then most we're trotting. About 5 years ago I shot the first crippled deer in a long time.

Then again, those from the eastern part of the state are notorious for being lousy hunters. The Harrisburg/Phiily crew most especially, and that makes about as much sense as Pa hunters having the tendency to tag others kill.Yes it has happened, but probably not more frequently than in the rest of the country. Yes there was that incident where there was a confrontation between land owner and hunter that made the news. I seem to remember a similar situation up in Wisconsin.

How can one of the most widely used Deer rifles in the country be too much and when does one carry too little? Where is perfect?

Funny stuff. Depending on how you look at it. wink

Where might I find this "Harrisburg/Phiily" crew? I'll have to be sure to avoid them. And just where is Phiily? Sounds like a bad place! This is hilariouser than schidt! Almost as funny as how seriously you take this thread and how sarcasm sails right over your head. laugh

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I love humor and from the start I've found it here. Thanks, you've got it going on.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
I love humor and from the start I've found it here. Thanks, you've got it going on.

Nice avatar. What did you like better, his scorched earth policy in Georgia or his plans to have the Bison eradicated to force the Plains Indians into submission??

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Can't say I liked either.

Unfortunately times call for difficult choices that history always doesn't look favorably on. I suspect he would have been thumbs up on the A Bomb also and most of the greatest generation were enthusiastic about the decision.

Sarcasm sometimes has its place and other times not so much.

Last edited by battue; 04/30/14.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sometimes just as you close your eyes and yank the trigger the deer jumps behind a tree then all of a sudden it is the rifles fault.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That is when carrying a 30-06 comes in handy. If the tree is small enough the bullet will go through. May have to pick some wood splinters out of your deer meat. (Not a joke)

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Havent heard many complaints to date. But then again, none of the game is alive today to talk.

I have several variations of the '06 family in the safe. Even turned one '06 into a 280ai. Even so, still have a 30-06 that I bring on hunts. Its a standard go to cartridge if a rifle goes down in camp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's the most popular caliber by a long shot, you go figure it out, what a dumb a zzz question. He ll, all the rest of us got 06's by age 8 for deer hunting and you ask that question.

No offense, but dude, you need to clearly pick it up a notch.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AggieDog
It's the most popular caliber by a long shot, you go figure it out, what a dumb a zzz question. He ll, all the rest of us got 06's by age 8 for deer hunting and you ask that question.

And if you had actually read the thread you'd know why you sound so freakin stupid.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
'06 with 150/165's works very well for me.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AggieDog

You are a f'ing RETARD!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 69 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.