Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Been using sand bags but wanting to get a front rest, what do y'all recommend?
I know these can get expensive and budget pretty tight rite now so try to keep recommendations reasonable. I would rather save and buy a decent one if I have to to get one that works. Thanks

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have an older version of the Sinclair Heavy Varmint rest (mine no longer appears to be in production). The new Light Weight they offer should be just fine for $100 less (after buying a top). I have gotten to where I only do my initial sighting in and load development from one and do all the rest of my shooting from and Atlas bipod, Bog-Pod tripod, or backpack.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Has anyone used the Caldwell rock or rock br?

Last edited by NMSSHOOTER; 05/05/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Save your money.....

The majority of the buyers of those tend to peddle them right quick when accuracy and distance get serious.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Any thoughts on the Bald Eagle windage adjustable rests sold by Grizzly Industrial?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NMSSHOOTER - The Caldwell's better than the less expensive (nothing's cheap anymore) Hoppe's front rest that I used for years. BUT as stated...when serious accuracy is desired, not just load development, a better, more precise rest i.e. Ransom is usually purchased. Caldwell's do make fine door stops however... Homesteader

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Bald Eagle is a good rest, but for normal plinking and range work, you don't need a windage top.

Budget is a subjective thing, but heavy is good. An aluminum, rest may be OK, but I'd keep a couple of sand bags on the legs to stop them from moving around. I prefer a rest top that lets you support and squeeze the sides of the bags to match the forend like Hart's Comp II front rest:

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have the Rock and a Hart like pictured above. Obviously the Hart is nicer, better, etc, but I still think the Rock is usable and has it's place. I take it for my son or a friend to use. When shooting lighter and/or lighter recoiling rifles it works just fine, but it's not heavy enough when shooting the bigger calibers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is Sinclair's latest version, not cheap at $300:

[Linked Image]

There's a pile of good used Hart and Sinclairs out there. I put an ad on Accurate Shooter looking for an older one, and found the one in my pics.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's what I will probably do, find a used one. I'm gonna keep researching and hope a good one will find its way to the house.
Do y'all like the hart or Sinclair better?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I paid $150 for the base, mariner wheel, and stem. I had several tops, so it worked out well.

I use it for every day shooting, and to take prairie dogging. I ended up screwing lag bolts in from the bottom, so I could slide it around on the bench fairly easy, but the weight keeps it mostly in place. If it moves shooting the bigger stuff, I put a couple of sand bags on the legs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since this is in a hunting forum I suggest you rest the rifle the way you would in the field.

At the bench I use 'sand' bags with a soft folded towel over the front bag.

In the field I might rest the forend on my backpack which is soft and similar to what I use at the range.

I bought one of those heavy rests similar to whats pictured above.

I was shooting my custom stocked Sako .375 Improved. The wood was upscale and done by a favorite old smith. The rifle jumped off of the front rest and hit the edge of the solid steel plate that holds the front leather. It put a dent in the stock.

Now to think about it I am going to leave it at the local gun shop.

This is what I use:

[Linked Image]

Note the note paper on the bench under the stapler. I record the load, bbl. condition, wind, and where the first shot hits from cold bbl. along with the pressure indications and group.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The pre-64 custom above has a well done stock and I don't want to dent another stock on a metal front rest.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't rest the stock on the metal. Hence, no dents on the stock.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Here is the rest pictured in this topic.

See the metal front holder with the leather in it? My rifle is a .375 Improved and the recoil caused the forend to bounce off of the front leather.

My rest is a Sinclair with an even larger steel plate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Since this is in a hunting forum I suggest you rest the rifle the way you would in the field.

Since the OP asked about rests, we could giveashit what you suggest.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use the soft towel thats like the backpack I shoot off of.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Since the OP asked about rests, we could giveashit what you suggest.....

Agreed! Who gives a $hit where the question was asked...???

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, you guys have light triggers. Seems to me that Savage 99 has a right to express his opinion too. For what it's worth, I work up my loads shooting off a front bag and a small rear bag. Works fine. Been doing it like that for years. Of course, if I was into serious long range competitive shooting, I'd upgrade the bags. Heck...I'd upgrade the rifle and scope...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
603 - stick around a while and you'll understand! wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,519
Posts18,491,007
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.