Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well the 'magazine' S&K did not last long, if it is truely Wolf MT minus a cut I want to try it, my Win 52's absolutely love Wolf MT, heck I have outshot the match extra with match target several times, I guess it depends on lot and speed..I wish to heavens I had bought a case back when I started out at 2.75 a box!!! shoulda ,coulda ,woulda story of my life... My only saving grace is that cattle prices are the highest I have seen in my 60 yr lifetime. LOL very best WinPoor

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
couldn't locate the actual response from wolf the other day but have finally. this is direct from Wolf RE: grading of SK/Wolf ammo.

"They are essentially the same cartridge, except that our Match Extra
contains lot numbers that have all been tested and shown to shoot the most
accurate, where as the Match Target contains lot numbers that may or may not
have been tested, so there's a chance they may not be as accurate.

The factory is tight lipped on the selection process, but we'll give you
what we know.

The .22 ammo is made in lots of 50,000. From the lot ammo 50 rounds are
fired and the 50 round group is recorded including all flyers. If that lot
passes their desired grouping (this is unknown to us) it then goes to be
tested into another weapon. If it passes the 2nd grouping requirements then
it is Match Extra.

If the ammo fails the first step it is not Match Target but rather something
called "Magazine" the loose packed ammo. All ammo has to pass the first
grouping to be called Match Target. If the ammo passes the first grouping
but does not meet the 2nd grouping requirements then it is Match Target.

So for competition I would go with our Match Extra. For recreational
shooting Match Target will work just fine. I hope this helps explain the
differences."

Sincerely,

WOLF Ammunition"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ramblings regarding SK Standard, Wolf Match Target, Wolf Match Extra and Wolf Match Gold:

SK Standard has long been touted by many shooters as the same ammunition as Wolf MT, some of this speculation was based on it having the same stamp on the rim which only indicated it was probably from the same factory. Also it has been awhile since I've seen it (I only saw it online never in person) but Wolf used to have Wolf Match Gold... I always wanted to try some but when Wolf was pretty affordable and around $3.00/box Wolf Match Gold was around $10/box so unfortunately I never tried it.

About 5 - 6 years ago i bought a couple of bricks of SK Standard locally, it never shot well as well as Wolf MT (in several guns). About 8 or so years ago at a gunshow i bought 3 bricks of Wolf Match Extra, was very excited to see how it shot... but again It would not shoot anywhere near as well as Wolf MT (again in several guns, shooting was 50 yards off a bench), I ended up using it for practice ammo. In both cases it may have just been the lot? I have a couple of bricks of Wolf MT left which I save for matches and the sight check before a match, hopefully this nonsense is over by the time I run out!

YMMV,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
As far as Wolf goes the match target always shot better for me than the extra , yes I know extra was SUPPOSED to be better ammo

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In praise of Grafs ! I have used them twice lately, dog gone if they have the fastest shipping and best CS of any folks I have used in a long time, my bricks of SK rifle match came in, Im gonna do a side by side test with it vs my known lot of Wolf MT in all 3 of my Win 52C s'and will post results... I can tell you the SK is greasy as hog lard even in the house with AC set on 71! very best WinPoor

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ldholton
As far as Wolf goes the match target always shot better for me than the extra , yes I know extra was SUPPOSED to be better ammo

My experience has been the same. I recently tested Wolf MT vs Wolf ME vs Lapua Midas + in one of my rimfires at 50 yds and my lot of Wolf MT was consistently the best.

[Linked Image]

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (257 mag, badwolf, 35, Beagler410, BABore, 9 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,061
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.