Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I am a cobbler....Palmetto loves me....

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
then again I know a lot of folks that would pay more for a cobble together than a Colt....

Depends on who did the cobbling, what the cobbling consists or, and who the buyer is. Once again, a much narrower window than those who would pay for the Colt assembled gun.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
I am a cobbler....Palmetto loves me....

I am too and 10-15 years ago I would have whole heartedly advised against Colt stuff on the proprietary parts(that are not an upgrade in anyway unlike some of the KAC stuff) crap alone. That wouldn't have been helped by seeing an LE only gun in a shop around 2002 that despite being lubed well had an ejection port cover that would only open about half way unless forced.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I would avoid anyone with a 1-9 barrel because it limits your bullet choices. How much money are you looking to spend?

I prefer the 1/9 because I like the lighter bullets. 50 to 60 grains. If you want to shoot over 300 yards on a regular basis with heavy bullets then consider a 1/8 or 1/7. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I shoot deer with mine at close range, if you want to shoot a 70 grain TSX then....

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by sherp
I wasn't aware law enforcement agencies paid any taxes when they buy firearms including FET.

Agencies do not, individual officers do, even when purchasing on dept letterhead.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I wasn't aware law enforcement agencies paid any taxes when they buy firearms including FET.

Agencies do not, individual officers do, even when purchasing on dept letterhead.

Interesting. So why is it about 10% cheaper when police buy personal firearms on agency letterhead?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Because, atleast around here. Most dealers give a ten percent discount to police, fire/ems and active military personnel

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Because, atleast around here. Most dealers give a ten percent discount to police, fire/ems and active military personnel

Why would a dealer around there transfer it to the department first to give you the discount?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.kiesler.com/default.aspx?tabid=168

Q. Why is there a difference in price between officer letterhead and the police dept.?

A. Generally the reason is federal excise tax. All pistols have 10% and all long guns have 11% federal excise tax (F.E.T.) added to the cost at the factory when sold to police officers or civilians. Police departments are exempt from the tax as well as state tax.

IC B3

F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I don't intend on shooting bullets over 60 grains, more than likely will stick with 50-55 grn slugs. Can anybody recommend a specific brand of receiver and barrel combination, how about sights, any good inexpensive scopes and mounts out there. I have seen some one brand AR's at Walmart starting at $750.00, saw a few at a local gun show for the same price but can't remember what brand.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are getting in to that price range at Wal Mart go a bit lower and get an S&W M&P-15 sport. Those are very good carbines and the integral trigger guard lower is very nice.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/06/benjamin-t-shotzberger/%EF%BB%BF-gun-review-smith-and-wesson-mp15-sport/

These are the current specs, as you can see they switched to a 1-9 twist.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/..._757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Why would a dealer around there transfer it to the department first to give you the discount?

Geezus you're dumb.

As an individual, i, or a Firefighter/EMS provider gets a store discount of ten percent on personal purchases. It has nothing to do with any agency, it's a courtesy discount. But I still have to pay all sales tax and NiCS transfer fees

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Geezus you're dumb.

As an individual, i, or a Firefighter/EMS provider gets a store discount of ten percent on personal purchases. It has nothing to do with any agency, it's a courtesy discount. But I still have to pay all sales tax and NiCS transfer fees

Not dumb at all. The orginal question was specifically about why officers have firearms shipped to their department on department letterhead instead of going to an FFL.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't have them shipped to the dept. i may be mistaken but I believe when Blue referred to letterhead he meant using it as a form of ID when ordering from certain suppliers that require it. I don't buy from suppliers often.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I shoot Hornady TAP 60 V Max and 55's almost exclusively.

They are expensive but my AR's and Minis shoot clover leafs, almost always with the 60's, some too tiny to note or I'll start an argument here, and not ever too shabbily with the 55's. I cannot find any since Sandy Hook but have a "few" set aside anyway. I think they are replaced by "Urban" with normal brass by Hornady for now until these ammo problems clear. I just got tired of reloading after 30 years of it.

Expensive at a dollar a pop but nickel cases and about zero flash.

This is in a 1 in 9 twist, my preferred twist for anything up to 64 grains.

My A R for the TAP's accuracy level is a middle tier S & W.

Mule Deer on this forum, resident famous writer worked up reloads for just a plain, light weight entry level priced Bushmaster that he shot groups with several propellants for bullet weights from 40 to 69. It's in my "stack" if it is important to know exactly but many A R's shoot like a house afire.

Heck, I went and searched for it to give him his just credit.

He shoots almost as good as myself wink , and his reloading equipment with Redding is a tad more sophisticated than mine but this is the point.

This is an entry level 16 inch Bushmaster, lightweight barrel, 1 in 9 twist.

He used TAC, Benchmark, and Varget powders, with 40 and 50 grain Nosler BT's, Barnes 53 TSX's and 50 Varmint Grenades, Nosler 60 Partitions, Hornady 68 BTHP's, and Berger 73 BTHP's.

His 100 yard groups in this entry priced level light weight? This is for 3 shot groups.

.44 .70 .52. .69 .60 1.05 .89 .29 .31

Amazing!!!

Like I said, he can shoot obviously as the average shooter could not wring that kind of accuracy out of that A R 15 Bushmaster. Well, I can but....

I think this was Mr. Barsness's first black rifle of his own according to the article from 2009 although he had shot those belonging to friends before.

So, the potential and probability of you developing loads and getting an A R that can perform is fairly high. Mr. Barsness is of course, an expert period at this stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't have them shipped to the dept. i may be mistaken but I believe when Blue referred to letterhead he meant using it as a form of ID when ordering from certain suppliers that require it. I don't buy from suppliers often.

The only reason I can find that something has to be ordered on leterhead is to not have the Pittman-Robertson tax and other taxes attached to it.

http://ljpr.com/site/images/media/tax_deductions_for_police_officers.pdf

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I knew zilch about them a few years ago and still know little as they really do not matter in my case, but I selected a mid-length Daniel Defense M4V7 and have thoroughly enjoyed the piece. It is set up as a critter gitter. A second AR was bought from PSA, one of the "Premium Carbines" a year later for half the price and it, too, has been stellar. It is set up as a "combat" piece... One resides in Texas, the other in Idaho. It's pretty easy to make picking an AR difficult...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The only benefit to purchasing a firearm on letterhead is that you can have it sent to your agency, without having to go through an FFL for transfer. There may or may not be price breaks, depending on the vendor, but the FET is still in play.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by liliysdad
The only benefit to purchasing a firearm on letterhead is that you can have it sent to your agency, without having to go through an FFL for transfer. There may or may not be price breaks, depending on the vendor, but the FET is still in play.

That isn't what Kieslers and other police suppliers say.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 160user, 22250rem, 1936M71, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,058
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.